PDA

View Full Version : New Appalachian Trail thru hike book

cleanshave
08-09-2012, 20:15
Okay, so a lot of people do it, but I wrote up my Appalachian Trail thru hike as a book.

Right now I am running a temporary 99 cent offer on Amazon Kindle for my friends here at Whiteblaze and a few hikers I keep in touch with on Facebook.

Grab it now before the price goes up.

It isn't your typical mile by mile, shelter by shelter account. You can read more here on my blog about the problem with most Appalachian Trail Books (http://www.thingsgoingsmoothly.com/2012/08/appalachian-trail-books/).

dink
08-09-2012, 20:31
bit the bullet and spent the 99 cents!! Now I have to actually read it...thanks for the kindle book with my favorite subject!!

kayak karl
08-09-2012, 20:40
good luck with it :)

Marta
08-09-2012, 20:59
Thanks for letting us know! Just bought it.

cleanshave
08-09-2012, 21:02
Not really worried about making money, just happy to have people who read it, people who care about the trail. Thanks

The Old Chief
08-09-2012, 21:56
Just got it. Heck, a shoeshine costs more than this book!!!

underAchiever
08-09-2012, 21:56
Just purchased it myself. I look forward to reading it.

Train Wreck
08-10-2012, 00:38
Bought it, look forward to reading it. Thanks for offering it at such a deal!

SCRUB HIKER
08-10-2012, 01:00
I figured trail names were a sufficient guarantee of anonymity, but I see you've taken it a step further: fictionalizing actual trail names. No matter--I know who these dastardly Pix, Neon Mud and Padawan characters REALLY are. I've yet to find Brush, the charming young thru-hiker from Oregon, though ...

Congratulations on finishing the book. I like what I've read so far.

Scrub

Kryptonite
08-10-2012, 01:14
I have only read about 15 pages so far but I've read most of the AT books out there and WOW. I honestly think this is better than Bill Bryce's and is destined to be a classic. The leaving your pack at the guy's place that you met online was a little confusing because you just left it at that but amazing book so far. Going out on a limb and saying that this is really going to be a hit.

Winds
08-10-2012, 01:28
Okay, so a lot of people do it, but I wrote up my Appalachian Trail thru hike as a book.

Right now I am running a temporary 99 cent offer on Amazon Kindle for my friends here at Whiteblaze and a few hikers I keep in touch with on Facebook.

Grab it now before the price goes up.

It isn't your typical mile by mile, shelter by shelter account. You can read more here on my blog about the problem with most Appalachian Trail Books (http://www.thingsgoingsmoothly.com/2012/08/appalachian-trail-books/).

Initial Tip: Leave the PURCHASE LINK absolutely EVERYWHERE.

LINK pictures, text, here, there, everywhere LINK to purchase.

DO NOT make people poke around for it, lost sales!

Here is where to purchase this book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008UMG9ZA/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B008UMG9ZA&linkCode=as2&tag=thingsgoingsm-20

SCRUB HIKER
08-10-2012, 01:49
Initial Tip: Leave the PURCHASE LINK absolutely EVERYWHERE.

LINK pictures, text, here, there, everywhere LINK to purchase.

DO NOT make people poke around for it, lost sales!

Here is where to purchase this book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008UMG9ZA/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B008UMG9ZA&linkCode=as2&tag=thingsgoingsm-20

His signature is the link. I managed to find it.

Winds
08-10-2012, 02:05
Ha. I found it too, trying to help.

I bought it and will read it soon.

:)

spittinpigeon
08-10-2012, 04:06
Is this available as PDF? I don't have a kindle, nor have I any clue about them.

Winds
08-10-2012, 04:16
Is this available as PDF? I don't have a kindle, nor have I any clue about them.

Most likely not, he's selling the book. You wouldn't want to publish and then just give away your work.
However, it is on 99 cents currently.

My blog is rough, but have added some specific sections. Here's one that will help you:

(This is FREE stuff from Amazon and more to get you started, then you can purchase the book.)

http://www.hikingthedream.blogspot.com/p/free-kindle-books.html

spittinpigeon
08-10-2012, 05:12
Most likely not, he's selling the book. You wouldn't want to publish and then just give away your work.
However, it is on 99 cents currently.

My blog is rough, but have added some specific sections. Here's one that will help you:

(This is FREE stuff from Amazon and more to get you started, then you can purchase the book.)

http://www.hikingthedream.blogspot.com/p/free-kindle-books.html

I understand he doesn't want to give it away, I just want to buy it and read it on my laptop/droid without jumping through a bunch of hoops because the kindle format is incompatible outside of a kindle.

spittinpigeon
08-10-2012, 05:17
Never mind, I was just feeling lazy. I f'ing googled it. I just couldn't resist using someone else's brain to do what mine could. Especially because that's what everyone does to ME all day.

The_watch_guy
08-10-2012, 07:36
now I have something to read on vacation this week while the kids are in the pool

CarolinaATMom
08-10-2012, 08:58
When do you think your book might come out in paperback? I'm old school and like to have a book to read and love my collection of AT books. Plus my son, Loner is in Vermont on his NOBO thru-hike now and I'm giving him AT books as late birthday presents when he gets home to help with his readjustment (or perhaps delay it) to civilization. Also might be a good idea to tell everyone the title!

Stir Fry
08-10-2012, 09:50
+1 for paperback. From what I saw its a goog read.

ATMountainTime
08-10-2012, 10:06
And I thought I read them all. lol. Just purchased, look forward to reading.

LadybugPicnic
08-10-2012, 10:34
Thanks- I just downloaded it and look forward to reading it! :)

Kryptonite
08-10-2012, 10:34
I rarely read Kindle books and I have 100+ books just waiting for me. I have read most of the AT books out there. I stayed up all frickin' night reading this book!!! I NEVER stay up all night reading. It was AMAZING! And no, this dude is not my son or a 4th cousin. Parts of this book are so funny and parts of it are pretty dark. Parts of it are haunting. But it accurately depicts trail life in a way that rings so true.

For 99 cents and much, much more it is totally worth it. There are a few mistakes, but nothing that can't be fixed. The content is what is important. Puts Bill Bryce's book to shame.

Bravo Chris Miller.

avalonmorn
08-10-2012, 12:42
Bought it, you had me at "big toe".

cleanshave
08-10-2012, 16:16
Wow. Thanks everyone for the support.

The paperback version should be out in a couple of weeks, still waiting for the proofs.

I realized after posting the blog post that I didn't link the picture of the book to the sales page, but I was at work and couldn't fix it. The link next to it should have brought you there though but thanks for the heads up.

The book is called Hiking the Appalachian Trai (http://www.amazon.com/Hiking-the-Appalachian-Trail-ebook/dp/B008UMG9ZA/)l and that's a link to its page. I have a follow up book coming out in a week or so called After Katahdin, about readjusting to the real world after a thru hike. Much shorter but it helped me to write it, adjustment wise that is.

And in 3 weeks I'll be happily thru hiking the Long Trail, so life is good.

uprocks
08-10-2012, 18:31
First page of the sample version was all I needed to buy. Great read.

bobqzzi
08-10-2012, 22:40
I keep trying to buy this, but it won't show up in my library

bobqzzi
08-10-2012, 22:44
Nevermind, just user error

Winds
08-10-2012, 23:29
Chris,

I have forwarded the below message to 5 different A.T. hiking Facebook groups covering over 2,500 members. (This might get me a signed copy? Ha.)

Wishing you success!
:)

----------------
HOT NEW BOOK – Great price!
There is a NEW Appalachian Trail book offered in Kindle format by A.T. thru-hiker Chris Miller.
I have not read this yet, I purchased it yesterday evening.
It is considered different and there is good buzz.
Currently it’s being offered for ONLY 99 cents!

http://www.amazon.com/Hiking-the-Appalachian-Trail-ebook/dp/B008UMG9ZA/
----------------

moytoy
08-11-2012, 05:18
I guess I missed the 99 cent deal! It's $5.99 now.

moytoy
08-11-2012, 05:19
It's still a good price for a good book!

Emerson Bigills
08-11-2012, 08:12
Cleanshave, is the price back up to $5.99 or am I missing something on Amazon?

Tinker
08-11-2012, 08:36
Whaddaya know! A fellow Rodylanda writes a book about hiking. I didn't even know you did a hike. Coulda called me :rolleyes: and told me you were going! We're practically neighbors! Sheesh. Guess I'll have to read the book. :)

Congrats on your hike and your book!

generoll
08-11-2012, 08:44
too late. now it's $5.99

Kryptonite
08-11-2012, 11:23
It is worth every penny!

MuddyWaters
08-11-2012, 13:21
Well, the other night I read the free preview on amazon, then I bought it.

Now, Ive finished it, a couple hrs reading for 2 or 3 nights.

I liked it. Realistic, unique viewpoint on hiking on the AT. It is better than a lot of them. Very few laughs though. But fast moving, and engaging. Did not leave me bored and skipping thru the last half like so many have.

It does jump around quite a bit. Its not that organized ala chapters and sections, and has a few errors. In fact, most of it seemed like one really long unbroken chapter.

slow mind
08-20-2012, 16:15
Read the free and bought and finished the book today ... good stuff got me thinking.

Coosa
08-20-2012, 20:12
Let us know when it comes out in print ... what's on the Amazon site is great ... makes me want to run out and buy a Kindle.

Coosa

cleanshave
08-20-2012, 20:36
Okay guys n gals, here it is, the paperback version of the book:

Hiking the Appalachian Trail (http://www.lulu.com/shop/chris-miller/hiking-the-appalachian-trail/paperback/product-20343029.html)

Most of the punctuation and spelling errors have been fixed, Thanks Kryptonite for the help.

I just wanted to say thanks again to everyone that has read it and sent me personal emails and messages here and on Facebook telling me how much they liked it. That means a lot to me. It isn't often I get positive feedback for any of my projects.