PDA

View Full Version : Weather

So Far
08-09-2012, 22:10
Weather is showing no rain for the 10 days I will backpacking out there...could I get away with no tent fly and rain coat or is that just stupid?

Spokes
08-09-2012, 22:42
Was that forecast from the Weather Channel or your weather rock?

rocketsocks
08-09-2012, 22:51
Weather is showing no rain for the 10 days I will backpacking out there...could I get away with no tent fly and rain coat or is that just stupid?I won't say it's stupid, but do you believe in Morpheus's Law?

kayak karl
08-09-2012, 22:56
your avatar says youhiked the trail. you know the odds :)

Hole-In-The-Hat
08-10-2012, 00:23
I just completed the JMT last Sunday (August 5th) - it was mostly dry, however I think it would be foolish to attempt such a hike without a rain jacket and shelter or tent. Combine a little rain with 10,000'+ elevation and wind - you're not going to have much fun if your clothing and/or sleeping bag get wet.

SCRUB HIKER
08-10-2012, 00:26
It doesn't say he's hiked the JMT, which is presumably what he's asking about. I bet you could get away with no rain gear, especially if you've got a fleece layer or a windshirt layer or both that will suffice in a(n unlikely) pinch. As for the no-fly ... unlike John Muir himself, I wouldn't dream of walking into the Sierra with no shelter whatsoever. Ditch the raingear, bring the fly, watch the sky, and set it up five minutes before it rains if/when it does. You'll be able to see it coming and it probably won't last long.

leaftye
08-10-2012, 02:11
As others have said, you could probably do it, but it would be stupid to try.

Papa D
08-10-2012, 07:54
You should know that mountains make their own weather. A good pop-up thunderstorm in the late afternoon and evening are always a possibility. Plus, in the summer, I like being in a bug-free environment at night. You should at least take a tent fly that you can pitch with poles, cord, whatever.

So Far
08-11-2012, 18:54
I forgot to mention that i was only backpacking 5 days not the whole JMT. I never said no tent and i know the weather out west can be diff than the east and the AT. Thanks all!

Del Q
08-12-2012, 17:23
Best case weather forecasts are 50/50, 5 or 10 days out, worthless.

For the extra bit of weight, pack safe & smart

DaFireMedic
08-19-2012, 21:11
I just finished the JMT, had 4 consecutive days of heavy thunderstorms. We were prepared and it worked out OK. Bring at least a waterproof shelter and something to hike in, be it a poncho or a jacket. I just brought a Dri-Ducks suit and it saved my hike (also kept me warm on windy days). My tent leaked and I had to use a space blanket as a rain fly.

Never go into the Sierras unprepared for rain, regardless of the forecast.

colorado_rob
08-23-2012, 11:20
I just finished the JMT, had 4 consecutive days of heavy thunderstorms. We were prepared and it worked out OK. Bring at least a waterproof shelter and something to hike in, be it a poncho or a jacket. I just brought a Dri-Ducks suit and it saved my hike (also kept me warm on windy days). My tent leaked and I had to use a space blanket as a rain fly.

Never go into the Sierras unprepared for rain, regardless of the forecast. Yep, 5 ounces (jacket) worth of Dri-Ducks? Don't leave home without 'em.

Related question; Does anyone know how the weather typically runs in late September? We're doing the northern half then (Bishop to Happy Isles). We'll be prepared for the worst, but not quite sure what "the worst" is. Is snow feasible then, at least below 10,000' (yes I realize we'll be above 10K some of the time).

DaFireMedic
08-25-2012, 02:37
Yep, 5 ounces (jacket) worth of Dri-Ducks? Don't leave home without 'em.

Related question; Does anyone know how the weather typically runs in late September? We're doing the northern half then (Bishop to Happy Isles). We'll be prepared for the worst, but not quite sure what "the worst" is. Is snow feasible then, at least below 10,000' (yes I realize we'll be above 10K some of the time).

Snow is feasible, but not likely. Rain and hail are far more likely if the weather goes bad. Good "summer" type weather usually holds into late September, early October, and even then it usually stays pretty mild.