PDA

View Full Version : Where are most 2005 NOBO's right now

MileMonster
04-28-2005, 17:18
So where on the Trail are the NOBO's? Does anyone know? Has the big slug of hikers made it past Pearisburg yet? Thinking about spreading some magic this weekend.

A-Train
04-28-2005, 17:42
I'd say the biggest group of Nobo's is probably between Fonatana and Damascus right now, thought they are spread far and wide. Based on the biggest number of NObo's starting in mid to late march and taking about a month to get to Erwin, I'd predict Miss Janet has been very busy recently.
I'm sure most of the March 1st starters are around or past Pearisburg by now.

BlackCloud
04-29-2005, 10:03
On April 18 2 NOBOs I met just north of Daleville told me there were about 20 ahead of them. To give you an idea....

jlb2012
04-29-2005, 10:36
I met a two NOBOs last night at High Top Hut in SNP - both were doing 20's and were planning on Rock Spring Hut tonight.

Nean
04-29-2005, 11:09
Outside my window!? I'll agree with A-Train, maybe Most are between Hot Springs and Damascus and yes Miss J has been very busy!! Seems like a very nice group this year. Saw Batch yesterday-83 and going strong and still remembers where we met many moons ago- gotta love it:)

Brushy Sage
04-29-2005, 12:24
I saw two north bounders at Mountain Moma's (sic) this morning (Davenport Gap). Our trail maintenance work was rained out, so the crew stopped off for coffee.

A-Train
04-29-2005, 12:44
CuppaJoe's journal from a couple days ago says there were 28 hikers at Overmountain barn that night, so I guess that is your answer. I'm sure Bob is very busy at Kincorra as well.

Hog On ICE-out of curiosity, was one of the hikers in SNP Daytripper by chance? I know she is in the park somewhere...

jlb2012
04-29-2005, 12:48
yep - Day Tripper and Missippi Alan

neo
04-29-2005, 14:55
So where on the Trail are the NOBO's? Does anyone know? Has the big slug of hikers made it past Pearisburg yet? Thinking about spreading some magic this weekend.
this time last year you and double nickles were between beauna vista va and tye river miles hiked 827.70:cool: neo

Scrunchy
05-01-2005, 21:10
Last weekend I was up on Cheoah Bald and met about 15 thru and section hikers on their way to Sassafras Gap, and yesterday I picked up a thru-hiker, "Grenade Boy" at Newfound Gap and took him into Gatlinburg. He told me he started on April 9th and that the last few days the shelters weren't too crowded.

Red Hat
05-07-2005, 21:43
While I waited for my husband to pick me up in Damascus, I saw most of the hikers I had met for the past 7 weeks. I would say that most of the March starters are past Damascus, while the April starters are nearer to Erwin. Of course, there are plenty of hikers in central Virginia already. Sorry to be off the trail, but vicariously hiking on Whiteblaze and TJ... Red Hat

neo
05-07-2005, 23:16
when i thru hike it will be south bound,i will finish my north bound section hike
in 2006, neo class of 2001-2006.i hope to avoid the crowds by thru hiking from maine to ga,i enjoy meeting a few hikers here and there,but hate crowds:cool: neo

MoBeach42
05-10-2005, 16:15
well, I signed in number 24 in Harper's Ferry on Monday. So... that big bulge - it ain't up here, though we have a great group of folks in the area!

Peace out, y'all!

gumball
05-10-2005, 21:12
We met hikers ... 6 and 7 and 8 (as signed in at HP, W. VA), I think, in MD a little over a week or go--nice young men. I think they said they were all late February starters.

Uncle Silly
05-10-2005, 22:20
well, I signed in number 24 in Harper's Ferry on Monday.

congrats, Mo, you're halfway there --- keep chuggin'! :cool:

Ender
05-13-2005, 14:01
It's getting near Trail Days... I'd say the bulk of hikers are now around the Damascus area.

Lilred
05-15-2005, 17:30
It's getting near Trail Days... I'd say the bulk of hikers are now around the Damascus area.

Right now most northbounders are headin out of Damascus.....going north. :clap

jlb2012
05-22-2005, 19:40
I met a few NOBOs at Hightop Hut today including a couple whiteblazers: Gravity and Danger. Also met Raz and Foxey (his dog), River Otter, Smiling Joe, Throw and Fetch (his dog) as well as 5 SOBOs whose names I didn't get and another couple NOBOs whose names I forgot or didn't get.

c.coyle
05-23-2005, 06:29
Saw a group of NOBOS at Pine Grove Furnace State Park in Pa. Saturday, 5/21. Spent some time talking to Traction, who left Springer 3/15. He was flyin!

Uncle Wayne
05-23-2005, 06:52
We met several NOBO hikers on the Unicoi Gap to Neels Gap section this past weekend. Shared Blue Mountain shelter on May 19th with Cambridge, student at St. Bonaventure, and Snot, student at Clemson. Both had only 95 days left to reach Maine. Even farther back we met Brooks, from Dallas, James, from Santa Cruz, Omri, from Israel, and (didn't get where they were from), Dave, Dan, Nick, trailname Flatus, and Ryan, trailname Cherry Bomb. I'll post pictures of them all later. All in good spirits and high hopes. I hope all of them make it but of them all, my money is on James. He had an infectious smile and a very positive attitude. He flew in from California Tuesday morning and after flying all night and shuttled straight to Springer, hit the trail without any sleep that same day. He had already covered 40 plus miles when we met him on Friday morning.
Also met Alaska Bob, from Fairbanks, Alaska, who is section hiking by moving his truck to a trailhead, hiking back to the point he had just left and then doubling back to his vehicle again. We were eating breakfast at Tesnatee Gap when he stopped by for a while. He was headed to Neels Gap also where he intended to double back to Tray Mountain.

Jaybird
05-23-2005, 07:49
i'm just back from 23 days on the trail....

hiked with many NOBO-ers...south of Damascus & then a pack North of Damascus...up to Pearisburg...a few days after Trail Days 2005....some names:

"Beantown & Fresh Legs", "Apple Pie & Apple Pie's Mom", "Sleeveless",
"Alabama", "Grits", "Birdhouse Bob", "SouthShore", "Ribeye", "Jersey Fresh",
"Jude", "Clearwater", "Patch", "Cycle Hiker", "SlapHappy", "OX", "Stretch",
"Ramblin' Man & Corporal", "Graceful", "Bella", "Sloppy", "Obie", "Tom", & "Fester", "Corsican", "Nitro", "Hustler", "Zeke & Sarah","Pogo","Tri-guy","Louisville","Third","Peanut & Drumstick","Stats & Pumpkin-Butt","Tomato-head","Hopeful Hiker", "Bravo", "Phoenix","Skyline", "Spitfire",...& many more i cant remember...SORRY! :D

Speer Carrier
05-23-2005, 13:08
I've read some journals by folks who are now in New Jersey. Big Daddy D, T-Rex, aand Boomarang to name three.

I'm looking for two young NOBO's I ran into while doing trail maintenance between Blue Mountain and Unicoi Gap several weeks back. I'm pretty sure they are ahead of the afore mentioned group. They are not publishing journals. They go by the names Wellsley and Kado. Anyone up north run into them?

Skink

astrogirl
05-23-2005, 17:12
i'm just back from 23 days on the trail....

hiked with many NOBO-ers...south of Damascus & then a pack North of Damascus...up to Pearisburg...a few days after Trail Days 2005....some names:

"Beantown & Fresh Legs", "Apple Pie & Apple Pie's Mom", "Sleeveless",
"Alabama", "Grits", "Birdhouse Bob", "SouthShore", "Ribeye", "Jersey Fresh",
"Jude", "Clearwater", "Patch", "Cycle Hiker", "SlapHappy", "OX", "Stretch",
"Ramblin' Man & Corporal", "Graceful", "Bella", "Sloppy", "Obie", "Tom", & "Fester", "Corsican", "Nitro", "Hustler", "Zeke & Sarah","Pogo","Tri-guy","Louisville","Third","Peanut & Drumstick","Stats & Pumpkin-Butt","Tomato-head","Hopeful Hiker", "Bravo", "Phoenix",...& many more
i cant remember...SORRY! :D

I hiked into Damascus on May 6 with Bravo, Sam-I-Am and Origami, and I know that a bunch of those folks you mentioned came in on May 7 (Clearwater Ox and the rest of the AT 3). Peanut, Ribeye, Drumstick and the rest of that crew were a couple days behind. I suppose they hitched back to Damascus for Trail Days?

I'd like to start watching local registers so that I can help out some of the folks I met on my section from Erwin to Damascus, thus my questions. :)

-Astrogirl

MileMonster
05-23-2005, 21:35
Think there will be many folks passing VA 613 and Wind Rock around the Mountain Lake area of VA this coming weeekend?

Jaybird
05-24-2005, 09:07
I hiked into Damascus on May 6 with Bravo, Sam-I-Am and Origami, and I know that a bunch of those folks you mentioned came in on May 7 (Clearwater Ox and the rest of the AT 3). Peanut, Ribeye, Drumstick and the rest of that crew were a couple days behind. I suppose they hitched back to Damascus for Trail Days?
I'd like to start watching local registers so that I can help out some of the folks I met on my section from Erwin to Damascus, thus my questions. :)
-Astrogirl

there are a load of folks behind them...but, i think the main pack of NOBO-ers hitched back to TRAIL DAYS on MAY 11,12,& 13...& stayed thru @ least Sunday (May 15th) & some made it a long weekend & didnt get out of Damascus til Monday (May 16th).

I never saw the ones that hitched back for TD...because i finished up my section-hike in Pearisburg & stayed @ the Church Hostel there thursday night & left out friday morning (May 20) when LONE WOLF picked me up @ 7a.m.

i, too, will be watching their progress NORTH to Mt. K.!

GOOD LUCK CLASS OF 2005!

Critterman
05-25-2005, 11:20
I met 5 at the north end of snp a week ago they all started between Mar1 and Mar 20.

Red Hat
05-25-2005, 11:28
From Trailjournals, it appears most of my hiking buddies are in the Cawtawba area heading into Daleville and Troutdale on hwy 81. Most should be near the Shenandoahs by the end of next week for the fest at Waynesboro on June 4th. That's where I'll be for a short reunion hike to Harpers Ferry. Red Hat

Heater
05-25-2005, 12:30
Also met Alaska Bob, from Fairbanks, Alaska, who is section hiking by moving his truck to a trailhead, hiking back to the point he had just left and then doubling back to his vehicle again.
Was he Hitching back to the point he just left or actually Hiking back? (Double the miles walked)
:confused:

Bloodroot
05-25-2005, 12:33
Finally in Pearisburg now. I think a large group of NOBO's were about a day ahead of me and another larger group about a week or so behind me. I was actually surprised to see the volume of thru-hikers substantially decrease coming out of Trail Days.

Mother Nature
05-29-2005, 13:58
Smokestack and I returned home yesterday (May 28) completing a 30 day section hike in VA. There were 10 or more hikers at every shelter along the way. Great bunch of folks. Glad to hear that Batch is out there again. Met him last year. This would be a good time to do trail magic!

We had great trail magic on our recent hike but the number one experience was provided by Red Wing and Hopeful! A friend had picked them up and they were traveling together to a trailhead to meet NOBO friends. They stopped and gave us ice cold milk and oreos as we were walking into town. Yummy!

I was so excited to meet so many hikers in VA still heading northbound that I had met earlier while doing trail magic or day hikes in GA. The Garland5, IceBreak, Graceful, Flashhand, Sal Paradise, Dirty Harry, Lightning Rod, Scotty 2 Lite, and Skywalker to mention a few. Went to my first Trail Days and we packed 13 hikers and their gear into our F150 to do it! We sure looked like the Beverly Hillbillies pulling into town!

Started a thru-hike last year but was forced off the trail with serious health issues. I am thrilled beyond words to know that with a little help from a dietician and shorter miles, I have now completed Springer to Harpers Ferry.

Looking forward to next year and heading north from HF! Happy Trails, everyone.

Mother Nature

robin31
05-30-2005, 08:00
I saw 2 very late starters at Newfound Gap and is the end of May! Dont NOBOs usually start the 1st of March?
I would not know..since I've never planned at thru hike...yet!
What's the feedback on this?

Red Hat
05-30-2005, 11:53
To answer Robin, most thrus start between the first of March and mid April, with the majority in mid March. I started March 13th, as did Longhaul, who just arrived in Erwin. He had to take a month off to recoup from injury, and rather than join the group he had been with, went back to where he was when he was injured (Fontana). So, there are several reasons a hiker would be at Newfound gap now. I got off 20 miles past Erwin for family reasons and am headed back. I plan to join my buddies and then make up the missed miles later. I need the support of my group... Red Hat

Cookerhiker
05-31-2005, 10:17
On May 26 while doing trail maintanance in Shenandoah National Park, I met Forever North, Sean & Carolyn, and Milkman, all in the Lewis Mountain vicinity. Gave them all some lemonade & cookies. I'm hoping to return to Shenandoah in about 10 days, set up camp in the Lewis Mountain campground, and provide some charcoal-cooked meals and shuttling to some of the NOBOs I met on my 2-week section hike, Allen Gap-to-Damascus April 29-May 10.

Newb
05-31-2005, 15:15
Ran into 2 NOBOS at Harper's on 29 May. On my way out of town I saw 3 or 4 more (by the looks of them) heading into Harpers on bridge.

MileMonster
05-31-2005, 16:43
I put as cooler down just south of the road before Wind Rock, in the Mountain Lake area of VA this past weekend. Had about 16-or-so sign the notebook in the cooler. The brownies and Magic Cookie Bars went fast.

Happypappy
05-31-2005, 16:55
I just ran into two nobos today. They were loading up at the turkey hill here in Pine Grove, Pa. Said they go by the names "Maruch" and "Heidi". They said the left springer on March 1st.

lilmountaingirl
06-02-2005, 22:43
I saw five NOBO's last Friday, 5/27/05, at the Doyle in Duncannon, PA. Bodie, Jive, Cotton Joe, Justin & another guy who's name I didn't get. I left about 180 candy bars in the hiker box so I hope more are coming through soon. :)

Kerosene
06-05-2005, 14:40
I estimate that I passed over 150 NOBO thru-hikers this past week between Catawba and Atkins, Virginia while hiking south. I seem to have hit the last "bubble" out of Trail Days.

I'll post names soon.

Skyline
06-05-2005, 15:06
It's been Prime Time in Shenandoah for NOBOs starting the week before Memorial Day, and if history gives a clue, should remain that way thru about the 3rd week of June. Some stragglers will still be in SNP beyond July 4.

Kerosene
06-06-2005, 12:27
Here is a list of NOBO thru-hikers I encountered (and got names for out of the 125 I passed) during my Catawba to Atkins section hike last week:

5/27/05: Hikerhead ferried Sticks and Baseline, along with two females, the The Homeplace for dinner. Passed Lou just north of Sarver Hollow Shelter and spent the night with Loose Goose (3/25 start) and Clearwater (4/5 start) at the shelter that night.

5/28/05: Had a nice talk with Pogo in Sinking Creek Valley while it drizzled on us. Met long-distance sectioners Sunshine and Lost-and-Found near Kelly's Knob. Met Africa and Vapor at the War Spur Shelter mid-afternoon. Camped south of Wind Rock with Noodle and New Heart who had just done a 20-miler from Rice Field Shelter.

5/29/05: Met Uncle Bill and Pilgrim from Chicago at the Bailey Gap Shelter who advised me not to try to ford Stony Creek (but I did anyway!).

5/30/05: Early morning walk into Pearisburg and I didn't interact with any thru-hikers.

5/31/05: Met 84-year old Tillie Woods, propietor of the Woods Hole Hostel south of Pearisburg, taking a s-l-o-w stroll on the AT around her property. Took pictures of Colonel Mustard, Too Obtuse, and Knees (CoreyZ on WhiteBlaze!) at a lovely view from the top of Sugar Run Mountain on a perfect hiking day. Camped at the lovely Dismal Creek Falls and talked around the campfire with Flash Hand (who was wearing his WhiteBlaze T-shirt!), Noonan, Zen, Redbeard, and Badger.

6/1/05: Stopped in for lunch at Jenny Knob Shelter just before 11 to find Capt. Hook and Praying Mantis (hiking in loincloth) still packing up to start the day! Ran into Bjorn from Flagstaff, AZ who kindly lent me some Benadryl Cream for an allergic reaction I had gotten on my arm while walking through a field. It's been added to my first aid kit.

6/2/05: Got my ear talked off by Scotty Too-Lite on a rainy day south of Bland, and passed a slew of slackpackers moving fast. Met Warren Doyle just south of Little Wolf Creek, who recognized me from WhiteBlaze (cool!). We had a nice chat while the rain came down. At Jenkins Shelter I met Tortuga (March start; she only done 4 miles that day, fell twice and banged her head on a rock!), Nuffy (from Melbourne, Australia who hiked with Grass last year up to North Carolina), Cricket, Inspector Gadget, a great personality going by the name Mr. Fusion, and Dot (a frail 70-year old from Tanzania carrying a real ice pick and a too-big pack). I'll be surprised if Tortuga and Dot make it all the way.

6/3/05: Ran into Okie Girl doing a zero in Chestnut Knob Shelter on a drippy day, along with Tony Danza, Pellet, and Epistemological Megalomaniac who were just finishing lunch. Stayed with Helen Keller and Carnivore (two guys from Oklahoma), plus Cucumber Girl and her boyfriend at the Knot Maul Shelter. Helen and I beat the T-storm but everyone else got soaked in a cold rain.

6/4/05: I was on the Trail by 6:45 and didn't see anyone for over 3 hours. I stopped at Groseclose and finally caught Rope-a-Dope, the college president out of Damascus who had raised $100K for his college's outdoor leadership program and was 70 miles from completing his 366-mile hike.

stickat04
06-06-2005, 20:55
I am Northbound and I am in Port Clinton PA (june 6th) I started MArch 1st. There is only a handful of thru hikers around me (7 to 10 I have been leap frogging with). I am having a blast and less then a 1000 miles to go. I hope everyone has a great summer.

Stick

Blister
06-07-2005, 12:24
The same Bjorn from years past on the trail. I just recently had a conversation if anyone new what happened to him. Big guy? Wearing Spandex?

Kerosene
06-07-2005, 15:30
The Bjorn I ran into wasn't all that big, and he certainly wasn't wearing Spandex. He had a full beard and hailed from Flagstaff, Arizona. I don't think that he had hiked the AT before, at least not into Virginia.

A-Train
06-07-2005, 22:58
On 5/26 I met No. 11 at the DWG Church of the Mtn Hostel, as well as Graham, a section hiker from Scotland.

On Memorial Day I met Roaming Gnome at Sunfish Pond

On 6/2 I stayed with Metric, Bill, Toaster and Shorts at Pochuck Shelter. I also met Southbounding Overload at High Point park headquarters. He left Gorham apparently on March 1 and carries 60+ lbs. His longest resupply stretch was 21 days without towns. I saw him again at 6/7 at DWG.

On 6/3 I met Foodbag on Wawayanda Mtn and again at the hostel in Vernon.

On 6/4 I met Pigpen and Gunter at Backpacker Campsite

On 6/5 I met section hiker Sir Wood Chuck at DWG hostel. Also met Bluetoes north of Dunfield Creek.

On 6/7 I met Bones, Cotton Joe, Heidi and Marooch at DWG Hostel. Whitey and Marion (sp?) at Kirkridge Shelter. Also met 3 or 4 others guys in DWG, but only remember the name Bodhi. Apparently a woman named Kodak had taken off before I got there.

Lots of other hikers have passed thru that area recently that I have not missed as I spend a lot of time down the ridge from the AT and on sidetrails. The pack is coming thru with regularity!

Stabes
06-08-2005, 12:03
I am a northbounder, started April 10 and I am in Troutville, trying to find ways to deal with the heat and bad allergies.There are a ton of people behind me that I am hoping will catch up soon. Chainsaw, Lightning Rod, Get-r-done to name a few. You out there still?

Peter Pan

Mini-Mosey
06-08-2005, 19:03
I had the pleasure of meeting "Unknown" in Harpers Ferry this last Sunday evening. He was planning to be off the trail for a couple of days to visit friends.

Askus3
06-09-2005, 22:10
I just got back from my evening climb to the Wildcat Shelter. Nobody was there at 8:10 PM. The entries in the log book for the shelter over the last two days included Senor Nobs, Lead Dog, Mailar & Darcy. Dropped off another gallon of Poland Spring Water. An entry from back on June 2 indicated that a hiker named Paladin thanked me for the water I left at the shelter. I understand he is now clear up to Kent, CT. WOW - is he trekking!!! Many entries indicate that everyone is stopping at the Bellvale Farms ice cream stand on 17A. Their ice cream is super - definitely deserves a stop.

ferryman
06-10-2005, 11:46
Bruce "Thicket" Marienfeld of Sag Harbor New York crossed the Kennebec by ferry boat at 9:15 am today. He started at Springer Mtn on February 20 and will complete his thru hike around June 18 atop Katahdin. Bruce was in good spirits taking some time to give some helpful advice to two Southbounders. There has only been 20 hikers since May 20 to ride the ferry and we expect another banner year with over 1,300 hikers crossing the Kennebec River.

Askus3
06-11-2005, 05:04
Yesterday at 10:30 AM talked to Goldilocks & PigPen at the AT crossing of Lakes Road north of Greenwood Lake, NY. They are doing fine. I believe one was from New Milford, CT & the other was from Chambersburg, PA. They are heading north to Katahdin hopefully by early August.

Cookerhiker
06-11-2005, 12:47
I just returned from a section hike in New York, Bear Mountain to Rt. 22. I shared the Graymoor field Sunday, June 5 with Number 11, who started at Springer February 1. He's proceeding leisurely. Tuesday June 7, I shared Telephone Pioneer Shelter with Shadow who just started a long NOBO section hike to Katahdin. He hiked Springer-to-NY in 2004.

Hikerhead
06-11-2005, 13:25
[QUOTE=Kerosene]Here is a list of NOBO thru-hikers I encountered (and got names for out of the 125 I passed) during my Catawba to Atkins section hike last week:

5/27/05: Hikerhead ferried Sticks and Baseline, along with two females, the The Homeplace for dinner. Passed Lou just north of Sarver Hollow Shelter and spent the night with Loose Goose (3/25 start) and Clearwater (4/5 start) at the shelter that night.]

Kerosene-The Frig and I ran into the two girls again on the north side of McAfee's. They were south bound. They hitched a ride from the Homeplace to Daleville to pick up a mail drop and were hiking to 311 where they would hitch back to Daleville to continue northward. One was called Serenity, I can't remember the other. Nice gals, we enjoyed talking to them.

Tailwind and friends were trail angeling in the 311 parking lot that weekend. I had two hot dogs and two Mtn Dews...yummy!

A-Train
06-13-2005, 15:58
Stayed with Search and Rescue (Sean and Michael), Wingit, Doc and Dad's Grin on 6/11 at Gren Anderson

Ran into Street Fighter and Turtle on 6/12 at Sunrise Mtn

Just missed Senator yesterday around Mashipacong Shelter.

Askus3
06-14-2005, 22:08
A-Train: The trio that was at Gren Anderson in the Kitatinnies are spending tonight (Tuesday, June 14) at Wildcat Shelter above Warwick, NY 17A. Wing It, Doc & Dad's Grin. This evening I dropped off my regular gallon of Poland Spring and the the three of them were consuming it quickly along with the two Kadets, (two girls section hiking from the Water Gap to Bear Mountain and then going to summer boot camp at West Point). They figure that boot camp will be easy after this. They are carrying 50+ pound packs.

Doc hails from Point Marion, PA and he was amazed that I have heard of this town. Heck if he didn't go to the Catholic High School he would have graduated from the same High school as my wife and his granddad and my father-in-law may have worked in the same coal mine together. I have to look into that.

Since I have section hiked a good portion of Maine, Dad's Grin was telling me his ambition of trying to knock off the 100 Mile Wilderness in 4 days!!! I said the northern part you might get away with hiking from Whitehouse Landing to Abol Bridge but the southern half I was not so optomistic. So he is planning on putting in some heavy mileage. I wished him luck.

I didn't talk to Wing It much but she seemed to be doing all right. She had a general idea about finishing sometime towards the end of August. I told her if she is slow enough she might see me again during my southbound section hike from East Flagstaff Road to South Arm Road in Maine 8/16-8/26. And I will make sure I have another gallon of Poland Spring water for her.

A-Train
06-14-2005, 22:23
Ran into Brad (that's his trail name) at High Point Park Headquarters at noon today. He had come 11 miles and was headed another 14 to Pochuck for the night.

Ran into Coco Bean a few minutes south of the park and again a couple hours later.

Saw Heidi and Marooch again (had seen them at DWG). They have taken a lot of time off and started feb 20th and march 1st respectively. Gave them a lift down to the pizzaria and brought them back to the park around 4pm. They were headed for the Secret Shelter.

A-Train
06-20-2005, 13:14
The thru-hikers are REALLY starting to roll thru Jersey. I saw 26 on saturday!

6/17-Ran into Buckeroo near Wawayanda Park. He was a nobo, doing a sobo section and trying to get 200+ miles done in a week to get to Duncannon. Stayed the night with Flying Turtle and Stick at Wawayanda Shelter.

6/18-ran into the Pennsylvania Pods (4 guys hiking together) as well as Batman, Flip, Frenchie and Jefe. Then ran into Chairman (carrying an aluminum chair on his pack) soon after. Ran into Summer and her dog (hiking from DWG to VT). All were between Wawayanda and Pinwheel Summit. After Rt 94, I ran into Awol, Water and Wave, Raz w/dog, Pacha, Ranger and She-ra, and a thru-hiker with his little brother, who were reportedly doing huge days (Hell Boy and the Beast?)
After 517, Ran into Skeeterfeeder, Billy Tree (flip flopper) and eventually Montana, English Bob and Lazslo and Xenon, closer to Pochuck Mtn. Stayed with a section hiker (Pepper Head of 2000) at Pochuck Shelter.

6/19-Ran into Dr. Chickety early in the morning and then Zeke soon after. Met Method Man and Rza at the High Pt HQ, 2 very entertaining and nice guys from Ashveille who were carrying a homemade banjo. Stayed at High PT shelter with Gel last night, a retired military guy, who spoted a mom and cub 10 feet from the shelter, right before I pulled in for the night. Also, Hike-Ku spent the night with us.

6-20-Met Blueyes and Brian at the Park this morning. Brian was a flipflopper who started in Harpers Ferry and was offering ME food, after I tried to offer him rides to get food. Blueeyes, from Colorado was trying to do a 30 miler so he could pick up his mail in Greenwood Lake tomorrow. He had about 25 to go at close to noon.

That is all for now. Much more to come over the next few weeks

neighbor dave
06-20-2005, 17:03
neighbor and chickety are in vernon new joisey!!!!!:banana :banana :banana :banana :banana

new england here we come!!!:clap :welcome :clap :banana
yep!!! that was hellboy and beast. hellboy will have experienced everything in life by the time he finishes the trail. we really like him. he's A#1 with us!!

Panzer1
06-20-2005, 23:27
I met a NOBO this past weekend, Friday June 17 at the Silver Hill campsite in CT. His name was "Slow Walker"

Panzer

Cookerhiker
06-21-2005, 07:10
At Lewis Mountain campground on June 16, I hosted Sleeveless, Ug, and Socks in my campsite, cooking them dinner and breakfast the next morning. Other thruhikers at Lewis Mountain that night included Bruce Spruce,Squid Jerky, Piker, Bear, Camel, and (another) Jaybird. Earlier in the day, I met Corporal and Ramblin Man who probably stayed at Rock Springs Cabin on the 16th.

"ME & U"
06-21-2005, 08:44
neighbor and chickety are in vernon new joisey!!!!!:banana :banana :banana :banana :banana

new england here we come!!!:clap :welcome :clap :banana
yep!!! that was hellboy and beast. hellboy will have experienced everything in life by the time he finishes the trail. we really like him. he's A#1 with us!!
Keep pumping you stoked out freaks!!!
Smoked cheese is on the way!!!

A-Train
06-21-2005, 21:22
yesterday afternoon I met Red Rover, Stephen and Cola all near Millbrook Blairstown Road/Rattlesnake Spring. The Mt. Laurel is ABSOLUTELY beautiful on the north side of the road and is lining the trail and the beaver pond.

Met Wood and another guy, a mile north of Mohican Outdoor Center.

Tented at MOC last night with Whiteblaze's own Mountain Dew, who has skipped up about 500 miles. He's been hiking with Biscuit, a lovely girl who hiked a good bit in 03'. I found it it was Biscuit's parents who provided major trail magic in NY for my friends and I in 03'-Quite the coincidence. Hung with them last evening and had a lot to chat about. Dew seemed to be healthy and in good spirits. They were gone this morning when I got out of my tent, and I have a feeling they got a real early start. I got up at 430am to take a whiz and saw Dew's light on in his tent.

Lastly, ran into Gravity Man and Danger Pea on Catfish Tower today. They were slacking south to DWG and had been staying with friends. They too were in great spirits and looked well.

No naked hikers to report of, which is probably a good thing for the hiking community, though I heard from another Ridgerunner there was quite the action near Sunfish Pond :)

Icicle
06-25-2005, 09:48
Bruce Spruce,Squid Jerky, Piker,...
Then you probably met Ms. Mileage (Piker's Girlfriend), and Bruce Moose as well...they have all been hiking together. They passed my husband (THE) Snowman and myself (Icicle) last month when we were hiking with our boys (Blizzard & Frost).

fishinfred
06-25-2005, 13:40
Hey all...Fishinfred reporting in (finally) from Waynesboro,Va. Bunch of us in town today ....Panoramic,Noonan,Santa Claus,Taz,Sloppy,Graceful,Insp.Gadget,Dandy,Blue Pheonix,Dutchman,Hopeful Hiker, and at least 15-20 more that I can't remember their names.Having a great hike and can't wait to get out into the Shanendoahs....Since I was hung up for 29 days at Albert Mt. with the Trail Magic I'm way behind schedule but what the heck I'm looking at months not miles ....I have been having the time of my life! Some great people on the trail this year not to mention alot of Angels who have been helping us all out all along the way .Way more great things to talk about than I have time to write about but its all good out here on the trail .Good Hiking All!!!!!
Fishinfred
See ya in a couple months ATTROLL get those boots broke in !

Askus3
06-25-2005, 21:07
Did another weekly trek into Wildcat Shelter to drop off a gallon of ice cold water. Visited with Danger & Gravity. Had a nice chat and told them to look for me in Maine when I do my section hike in August. They seem to be enjoying themselves but not the heat. They pushed a 17 mile day today. I told them to enjoy a shower at Fitzgerald Falls and a swim tomorrow at Island Pond.

The Gnome
06-26-2005, 09:49
I met a NOBO this past weekend, Friday June 17 at the Silver Hill campsite in CT. His name was "Slow Walker"

Panzer

I shared the Punchbowl with Slow Walker last Fall.
If its the same guy, he was a heart doctor from the mid-west with serious knee trouble. Determined to make it though!

Mountain Dew
06-30-2005, 21:32
ah Yes we did run into A-Train last week or so at the M.O.C. Good to meet you man. The only reason my light was on at 4:30 am is because I got up to go piss and even though the temp was around 50 i was in my summer bag (rated 55) freezing my ass off. So...after pissing I had to find any and all clothes to put on. We did a 20 something that next day and did indeed get out early !!! Take care.... oh and I have plans to come back and do that 500 miles skipped southbound after i reach Mt. K !

Askus3
06-30-2005, 22:31
Just got back from my evening trip to Wildcat Shelter. This evening my trails crossed with Pied Piper & Caroline who did 17 miles from NJ 94 north of Vernon. They appreciated the trail magic I had to offer. They have been hiking since March although they started a week apart. Pied Piper missed most of Virginia. Caroline was having foot issues but seemed to be OK today. Must be doing OK to go 17 miles. Very enthusiatic. They were sharing the site with Boy Scout Troop 23 from West Point who were doing a section hike from High Point to Bear Mt. The scouts loved my pug puppy that I took along for the hike.

rafe
07-01-2005, 15:12
I walked from Bear Mountain (NY) to Great Barrington (MA) from 6/18/05 to 6/27/05 and met a dozen or so NOBOs. Opa, Senator Daniel, Stick, and Flying Turtle are a few of the names I remember. I suspect these folks are several weeks ahead of the pack.

neighbor dave
07-01-2005, 19:40
we're in massatoo****s right now!!! vermont here we come!!!!!!:banana :clap :banana :jump :welcome :banana

Fannypack
07-01-2005, 20:49
hey, Neighbor aka Olde Man, slow down i don't want u to hurt yourself... Have fun and hope to see u on the trail....

Brock
07-03-2005, 13:08
Any NOBOs near Harper's Ferry?
I am planning on going back on the trail around July 11th and would like to guestimate who might be around that area. Any ideas???

lilmountaingirl
07-05-2005, 19:48
I did a SOBO section from West Hartford, VT to Inn at Long Trail this weekend and passed a bunch of NOBO's hightailing it to Hanover for the July 4th festivities.

Those I remember: Mountain Squid, Bodhi, Jive, Castaway, Kodak, Cotton Joe, Shorts, Snuffy(?), Team Vanity, Andrew (a section hiker doing Killington to Katahdin) and three others that we spoke to but I don't remember their names to save my life...

Saw to SOBO's as well, Katie & Mark. Mark ended up hiking with two of us on a miserable 3.9 mile push (it had been a long day) from Rt 12 to the Winturri Shelter. Thank God for him or we would have been crumbled up on the trail somewhere. :D

Moon Monster
07-06-2005, 01:13
There's "Mountain Squid" and "Squid Jerky" this year? What a coincidence, it must have been zeitgeist. I actually met Squid Jerky in Pennsylvania just south of the half-way marker on 7-3-05 and I heard the story behind his name--it's quite litteral.

lilmountaingirl
07-06-2005, 01:16
There's "Mountain Squid" and "Squid Jerky" this year? What a coincidence, it must have been zeitgeist. I actually met Squid Jerky in Pennsylvania just south of the half-way marker on 7-3-05 and I heard the story behind his name--it's quite litteral.
If I remember correctly, Mountain Squid started his NOBO last year and when he got to NJ, he was just "tired" so he left the trail. He came back this year to complete it. The Squid part of his name is a naval reference. :)

A-Train
07-06-2005, 15:56
Ok, another update:

About a week and a half ago I ran into Morel, Pied Piper and Mr. Beer, all near the Delware Water Gap.

On 7/2 I met Rabbit, who was hustling up the trail near Rt 23. After that, I ran into an older guy named Hal who was also going all the way.

The nightof 7/2 I stayed with Retro, Tinkerbell, Unknown, Beantown and his girlfriend Bear Magnet. Great group of folks. Tinkerbell is 6'7 and raising lots of money for an inner-city program charity. We were at Gren Anderson, but all tenting due to the bugs. It's nearly impossible to sleep in the shelters anymore.

On the evening of 7/3 I met O'Connor who was fastly approaching High Point, as I was headed south. She left Springer 4/14 and had really been moving, and was looking forward to some fireworks from the observation platform in High Point. A mile or so later I ran into Protozoa, who was banged up from the rocks, and real tired. Also ran into a lost MT. biker who was carrying his bike over the rocks, which was quite a sight. Apparently he lost the Iris Trail.
Spent the night alone at Rutherford Shelter (big suprise).

7/4- Saw 2 tents and a hammock at 6am on the top of the ridge where the blue-blaze for Rutherford meets the AT. Assumed it to be the "Muppets", 3 dread-locked hikers I had heard about. Later that morning I met English BOb at Mohican Outdoor Center, who was hiking from Rockfish Gap to Katahdin. Hammer and Chubster came in late and tented at MOC.

7/5-Met Sparkplug and Snowman, a nice couple near Sunfish Pond. They were in good spirits after slowing down thru PA. Also met Easy-Goer on the Kitattiny Ridge near the Worthington Park boundary.

yogi clyde
07-06-2005, 15:56
I was passing the AT near Manchester Vermont yesterday, and I gave a hitch into town to August (his 9th attempt at a thru hike) and Spitfire.
They were doing good, and the thru hiker smell didn't last in my car for to long.

I met Mountain Squid last year on my attempted thru hike.

Rancid
07-06-2005, 21:53
I did a hike up to Kirkridge Shelter on 7/3 from the DWG parking lot. Going up I ran into Quiet Paul and English Bob, and while returning, I hiked down the mnt. with Waist Deep. All were doing well. Quiet and Waist were taking a 2 day rest in DWG.

Askus3
07-07-2005, 22:16
Made my weekly trek into Wildcat Shelter this evening around 7-8 PM and delivered a gallon of water and 4 beers to Muleskinner & Woodrose. Woodrose was a bit wiped out from todays hike from Vernon. Thrilled to have the trail magic. Now she really needs some because she is bummed out. Woodrose (Eva Johnson) left a pair of prescription sunglasses on the AT (she believes) when she stopped at the NY/NJ State Line marker. They are in a black and pink print case. E-mail me if you have them and I have an address where we can get it back to them.

Jack Tarlin
07-07-2005, 22:39
This weekend, in fact already, a great many of them are in Duncannon, Pennsylvania, and I suspect a lot of them will be here til mid-day on Sunday.

First off, we have an awful lot of food here that we look forward to cooking and giving away, and secondly, the weather looks pretty grim for the next couple of days. Anyone with any sense will stay right here.

Brock
07-07-2005, 23:58
This weekend, in fact already, a great many of them are in Duncannon, Pennsylvania, and I suspect a lot of them will be here til mid-day on Sunday.

First off, we have an awful lot of food here that we look forward to cooking and giving away, and secondly, the weather looks pretty grim for the next couple of days. Anyone with any sense will stay right here.
Jack,
Do you think many NOBOs are south of Duncannon?
I am getting on the trail on Monday in Harpers Ferry.

Jack Tarlin
07-09-2005, 02:21
Brock--

There were plenty of thru-hikers in Harpers when I left there four days ago; you'll be in very good company, and as you head north you'll meet great folks every day. (E-Mail me privately if you want a few ideas, suggestions on some R&R stops, esp. in PA.)

I'll be getting back on the Trail near Bear Mountain in a few days and heading North at least til Hanover. I'll be a bit a head of you, but you'll be going lots faster. Also, I expect to take some time off in Hanover before heading North to do selected parts of Maine. Hope to catch up with you at some point,or considering various decrepitude factors and the indignities of middle age, you'll be catching up with ME. Have a great time, see you out there somewhere.

A-Train
07-12-2005, 18:35
Ok, here is my weekly update:

Saturday, 7/9 I met Hareball at the DWG Hostel. Also met Bear Fodder, out for a 200 mile section. A few others were there but I didn't catch names. Met a thru-hiker couple, Fig and Just Visiting at the Brink Road Shelter turn off. Nice couple from Maine, who were making good time. Fig had already thru-hiked in 2000. Heading South I met a thru-hiker (I think) who wasn't interested in having a conversation. After asking him how he was doing, he replied by saying "what"? Yea.. Later, near Blue Mtn Lakes Rd I met 2 older gentlemen thru-hikers who were heading to camp a couple miles north, but I did not get their names either. I stopped at the road to fill up my water at the pump there, and saw a van and car, and a bunch of hikers sprawled out with picnic chairs, but they seemed to be hiking. I knew right away this group was Warren Doyle's Expedition, but I didn't go over to say hi as the skies were about to open up. I jogged down to the YMCA camp, and the rain never really came. As I was enjoying a relaxing dinner alone at the lake, Warren's group drove up and decided to set up on the lawn and in the shelters provided for hikers. Warren was nowhere to be found, and apparently they don't see him much, and that he does his own thing. These were direct comments from other hikers. He had a few returning hikers from previous expeditions that had been tagging along. Apparently Warren hikes south with his wife while the group walks North. Although I never saw Warren, he was sure to sign the log at our Backpacker Kiosk, bragging that he had a great swim in Sunfish Pond, although its clearly stated that swimming is breaking a law in Worthington St. Park.

7/10-sunday morning, I ran into some of the same folks I saw the previous day, like Bear Fodder, Murphy and Hareball. Ran into 10 Bears, a really nice guy and then Mad Chopper, who was having bad foot problems after taking a 10 day hiatus. Passed who I assume was Stats and Mud Pumpkin, though they were descending Catfish tower with headphones on. Met Freeze-Dried and his dad at the tower. Taking a mid-day break at Mohican Outdoor Center, I met Buffalo Bob, Wilderness Bob and Vapors, who were all headin on but taking a break from the heat. Late in the day I met B-Money who was just getting back on the trail at DWG after taking a month off. Met her at the north end of Sunfish Pond. At Backpacker Site that night I met Torch, a 2004 SOBO who finished on 12/31 and passed his lighter on to Heidi Hydro, the first NOBO of 05'. He was leading a YMCA group of teenage boys and did NOT have a lighter, which seemed ironic.

yesterday 7/11 I found out I became and uncle, as my brother and sister-in-law had a baby boy. Put a nice swagger in my step as I headed from NY17A back to Wawayanda Shelter. Enroute I passed a huge group of NOBO's all coming from the Vernon Church Hostel. Included were Chubster, Chuck, Hot n Sweaty, Redwing and Hopeful, Snowbunny and Hairball, L.B., Box of Fun and Giggled (the Laugh Factory), Colonel Mustard, Free, Jax, Train and Raindrop and then Vision Quest and her visiting friend Platypus. Eventually Proteus rounded out the pack, and he had no idea where he was apparently having missed the sign for the shelter. They were ALL heading for Wildcat Shelter and were very happy to hear about Bellvalle Creamery which is not in the books. Just .1 to the left at the road.

Today I met Origami, Sam-I-Am and Rodeo at the St. Thomas Episcopal Hostel in Vernon. They were all headed out this morning in what was a steamy hot day. The pastor at the Church just passed away, so the mood there has been somber and quiet and hikers heading there should be aware of this and be prepared to be flexible and pitch in.

The weather has been outstanding, as it's been all summer, and I expect the back of the pack to continue rolling in.

Askus3
07-13-2005, 22:11
I made my weekly visit in to Wildcat Shelter and occupying the place all by himself was section hiker Bear Fodder from Port Clinton, PA to Bear Mtn, NY. So he is almost done. (2 more days). He said he hiked by himself all day and saw nobody.

I was reading the log at the shelter and I was thrilled that Woodrose who I met the previous week and lost her glasses had them retrieved to her by Brittanica (another northbound thru-hiker) later that night when they arrived. That was great retrieval. I am very glad for Woodrose because that loss really had dampened her spirits. So her luck turned as I gave her some trail magic and then Brittanica retrieved her glasses both in the same day. See post #77.

Kerosene
07-14-2005, 08:21
Enroute I passed a huge group of NOBO's all coming from the Vernon Church Hostel. Included were Chubster, Chuck, Hot n Sweaty, Redwing and Hopeful, Snowbunny and Hairball, L.B., Box of Fun and Giggled (the Laugh Factory), Colonel Mustard, Free, Jax, Train and Raindrop and then Vision Quest and her visiting friend Platypus.Colonel Mustard is making some good time, unless he yellow-blazed it north. I ran into him a day south of Pearisburg, Virginia on May 31st. So, in 41 days he's covered 733 miles, or 17.9 miles per day assuming no zero days. He's got the physique for it...tall and lanky with what appeared to be a good stride.

Nean
07-14-2005, 09:15
Even with a few zeros, thats well within reason.

neighbor dave
07-14-2005, 11:42
we're in hangover nh right now!!!! 80/50.
80% of the trail,50% of the work, for a nobo'er!!!!:jump :banana :jump :welcome :jump :banana :banana

A-Train
07-14-2005, 12:57
we're in hangover nh right now!!!! 80/50.
80% of the trail,50% of the work, for a nobo'er!!!!:jump :banana :jump :welcome :jump :banana :banana

Don;t forget 20/80 for scenary. The prettiest stuff is north of Hanover. IMO the best part of the trail is the last 400 miles HANDS DOWN

Have fun!

Cookerhiker
07-15-2005, 22:31
While doing trail maintenance today, I met two NOBOs just north of Hightop Mountain intending to make it to Lewis Mountain today: Stops Alot and Ned the Fed (he's on Trail Journals). They're intending to flip-flop once they arrive at Harpers Ferry, getting up to Monson, hiking the 100 mile wilderness, shuttling back to Monson, and hiking south to Harpers Ferry.

Sly
07-15-2005, 22:34
Ned the Fed? I don't think I'd be hiking with him! ;)

Lugnut
07-16-2005, 00:31
Ned the Fed? I don't think I'd be hiking with him! ;)

Why? What do you have to hide? ;)

Nean
07-16-2005, 00:34
Has anyone seen Mama Bear and her 3 cubs?

MommaDoebs
07-16-2005, 08:12
How about Scared of the Dark? or Peter Pan and Snotrag? Snackman? Lightning Rod? Any details would be sweeeeeeet!

Smile
07-16-2005, 13:26
I was out for a month started in HF in second half of June, got back recently....
Vapors
Dandelion
Turbo Joe
LoJack
PussGut (or Pussbelly - guy with the naked hiker day poison plant mishap)
Fraggle
Nimblefoot
To-Phat
Adam
Seeker
Ug
Dorothy w/o Toto
Sleeveless
Skywalker
Socks
Dreamboat and Mapmaker ( SH)
Easty (who was very cool, hope to hear from him on here sometime!)
Tim & Kevin (not named yet, doing a Flip Flop & just got on in HF)
Chef Boy Ar Dee
Clearwater
49er
Can't remember them all ....lots of cool folks though.....was travelling with The RubberBand Man.

Frosty
07-16-2005, 13:30
PussGut (or Pussbelly This is a strong endorsement to pick your own trailname :)

Stinking Rose
07-18-2005, 10:50
July 8th we met NTN (no trail name) between Kathdin Stream Campground and Abol Bridge ,who started in Feb I believe and he was going to summit Katahdin the next day. Don't know if he did as it was raining. Too bad ,his family was to meet him.

MileMonster
07-19-2005, 08:23
Ran into Tea Break on Franconia Ridge a few days ago. He said that there were only a few other folks around him.

Askus3
07-20-2005, 21:14
I made my weekly visit in to Wildcat Shelter and accompanying me for the two miles from 17A to the Shelter was Ox. When we got tothe shelter I shared some trail magic with him. He said he hiked by himself all day and saw nobody. He was glad the humidity broke. I agreed that it is so much better to hike without this dense cloud all around. It was so uncomfortable the last few days. Still waiting to start seeing the southbounders coming thru. Maybe next week.

Jack Tarlin
07-21-2005, 15:16
LOTS of hikers in Massachusetts right now (a whole ton at Upper Goose Pond last night); Cheshire, Dalton, Williamstown as well. Also, a ton of excellent southbounders; the Bird House in Dalton has had lots of great people this week (what a great place!) and Tom Levardi in Dalton whose hospitality and kindness is more or less unparelelled on the Trail, will have a very large, very happy mixed group at his place tonight, including some really wonderful SOBO's who I ran into in Bennington a few days ago.

This brings me back to the frequently discussed Trail Magic issue/controversy, i.e. is it overdone, is it bad for hikers, it is it hurting their journeys, etc. I happened to be in Tom's car today; he stopped and picked up a couple of hitch-hiking day-hikers who needed to get back to North Adams. Tom took them where they needed to go, and after we dropped 'em off, we ran into half a dozen SOBO's about to hit Greylock. To make a long story short, Tom ened up slacking them to Cheshire, where he intends to re-unite them with their packs and cook them a nice dinner. Tomorrow, if some of them need help of any sort (rides, a lift to the EMS in Lanesborough, etc.,) he plans to help them out. This is his vacation week and he intends to spend ALL of it helping strangers. This is more or less what he's been doing, in a very low-key way, for at least fifteen years.

In short, the folks who are whining about Trail magic tend to be crusty and bitter aging malcontents who are basically pissed off and upset that this sort of thing wasn't that prevalent back in the fifteenth century when most of them hiked. If you're telling me that any of 'em would've turned down a ride, a coke, or a favor, after the hottest, most miserable, most humid week of the summer, I'm here to tell you that that's bull**** of the first order......these folks are leading the war against Magic and Kindness because it simply wasn't around when they were hiking, period, and now these grumpy old crabs are insistent that this sort of thing is bad for hikers, hurts their hikes, interferes with their alleged "wildernes" experience, and other patent nonsense.

I can't tell you how happy these kids were when they ran into Tom, and it made his day, too. (These same anti-magic grouches will tell you that Trail angels are essentially selfish and do what they do only because it makes them look and feel good.....what complete nonsense. They do what they do because they are kind wonderful people who enjoy brightening other people's days, period).

And if you DON'T want that ride, that slack, that cookout, or whatever? Then gee whiz. You do like you were brought up to do.....when someone offers you something you don't want you look them in the eye, smile, and say "No thank,you" and you keep walking. How tough is that?

The anti trail magic crusaders need to shut off their computers and get back on the Trail. What I saw today was a really great human being using his own time, energy, money and vacation time, whose only purpose was to put a big smile on the face of half a dozen strangers. It was a really beautiful thing to see, and it WASN'T pre-planned or scheduled; we found these folks entirely be accident; Tom's decision to help 'em out and make them dinner was an absolutely spur of the moment, what-the-hell kind of thing.

Anyone who has a problem with this needs to crawl into a hole, shut up, and stop whining. Most of all, they need to get out and hike.

Nightwalker
07-21-2005, 15:22
Anyone who has a problem with this needs to crawl into a hole, shut up, and stop whining. Most of all, they need to get out and hike.
And by all means, wear some cotton and carry a seventy-pound backpack! (Ahh, the good old days!)

:D

Askus3
07-21-2005, 15:25
Jack,

I mostly agree with you but I wouldn't be so harsh. One item for all. Please keep this thread featuring what hikers you see out on the trail. I visit Wildcat Shelter regularly and find this thread a good place to see who is where NB & SB. Where those I have met are now progressed to and who I might be meeting up with from A-Train's posts. So, I don't want this thread to go off on a tangent so I have to weed through to get the info I want. Thanks.

Jack Tarlin
07-21-2005, 15:37
Askus---

You're right, of course, and my original intent was simply to talk about who's in this neck of the woods right now. I stand by 100% what I said in the above post but it should've been sent to another thread.....only reason I got onto the Trail Magic thing is that there's been an awful lot of talk lately about the issue, including in this area.....a recent, very successful hiker event in Bennington was criticized on another well-known hiker Forum. Anyway, to get back to the original intent of theis thread: There are a TON of hikers either a few days North or a few days South of Williamstown, with the big pack of Northbounders probably a week to ten days back, i.e between the NY/CT state line and the Vermont border. Anyone hiking between Kent and Hanover in the next two weeks is not going to be lonely.

P.S. Anyone heard about a new hostel in Rutland or hiker lodging in Manchester Center? There are all sorts of rumors but nobody seems to know the facts.......any details will be appreciated and information will be shared with those who need it.

A-Train
07-21-2005, 15:54
Rearding a hostel in Rutland, maybe you're refering to Back Home Again Cafe which runs an informal hiker hostel in town? I know they offered lodging last year when I was in town, but I decided not to spend the night. Folks seemed awfully friendly, and I have heard a couple hikers mention it this year.

And Jack, yes this is the wrong thread for your rant about magic. It should have gone under the thread YOU started, which I thought was a great thread. It was a good idea and great to see people giving their opinions without being roasted for them. You started the thread by saying all opinions were welcome, althought that goes without saying for every poster on WB. So people complain about it. Big deal. People complain about a lot of things, like cars not being comfrotable or tropical places being too hot or rock concerts being too noisy.

The great part about the AT is every individual has their own choices to make in order to have a rewarding hike.

Next week I'll have another entry on hikers in NJ. I miised work this week due to a death in the family and undoubtably missed a LARGE group of NOBO's coming thru.

Askus- Thanks for looking after the hikers up near Greenwood and Wildcat and for giving reports.

hwbout
07-25-2005, 22:31
Jack,
This was on the companion update page for the rutland area. I'm not sure if this is the info you are looking for.
Page 154—U.S. 4/Rutland
Updates: Outfitter Oasis Sports is closed and out of business. Mendon Mountain View Resort Lodge, $30.00 for a hiker room with two queen size beds, allow 4 hikers for the single price, seven hiker rooms available.
July 19, 2005

Brock
07-26-2005, 11:13
Just did a two week hike from Harpers Ferry WV to Port Clinton PA. Unfortunately I had to get off due to intense foot pain :datz

Here is who was NEAR Port Clinton PA on 7/24/05

Smokey
Badger
the Brit
Avaitor
Eagle
Moonpie
Preying Mantis
Stretch
Saxy Lady
Hiker X 05
Mr Fusion

ferryman
07-26-2005, 18:12
The months of May and June saw 9 northbounders crossing the Kennebec and presumably reaching The Big K by now. 5-22 "thicket" (2-20), 6-16 "E" and "Robin" (2-26 and 3-5), 6-17 "J" Byrd (3-1 and yoyo 7-14), 6-22 "Just Mark" (3-?), 6-23 "Hydro-Heidi" (1-1-05), 6-25 "Juice Key" (2-24), 6-28 "NTN" (2-14) and on 6-30 "Superfeet" (3-7). July nobo traffic strong so far. Signed, the 70 lb external pack carrying, non trail-town stopping, with personally carved hiking stick and heavy lug vibram soled boots, hiking dinosaur. circa 1980. Steve

Kerosene
07-26-2005, 18:28

Preying Mantis
Mr FusionI ran into the two of them a few days apart around Bland, Virginia in early June. Preying Mantis is averaging 11.3 mpd, while Mr. Fusion (who's got a great personality) is at 12.4 mpd.

Lilred
07-26-2005, 19:00
Just did a two week hike from Harpers Ferry WV to Port Clinton PA. Unfortunately I had to get off due to intense foot pain :datz

Smokey
Badger
the Brit
Avaitor
Eagle
Moonpie
Preying Mantis
Stretch
Saxy Lady
Hiker X 05
Mr Fusion

Met Saxy Lady and Mr. Fusion hiking from Springer to Neels Gap. Was with Saxy when she got her trail name. Glad to hear they're still truckin.

NJHiker
07-26-2005, 19:24
I met up with "Red", "Dr. Chickadee" in late June at shelters in NJ, met "Clockwork Orange" the day after his parents provided magic in Lehigh Gap PA July 3...a lot of thru-hikers have already crossed into NJ, the earliest wave passed through in the begining of May...most were non-stop "hey" sayers covering 20's. Only one needed any assitance, some fresh water and a hot meal, but I never did get his name as he crawled into the shelter and slept as soon as he finished eating...he was gone in the morning. (there was also a really squirly section hiker (DWG-BearMtn NY) that night that was noisy, inconsiderate and just plain rude....rolled in about 10:30, set up in the shelter, loudly complained about the thru-hiker snoring and tented out at about midnight)

A-Train
07-27-2005, 13:40
Ok, here's the new update from Jersey.

On 7/22 I stayed with Adumb and No Show at Wawayanda Shelter.

7/23-While shuttling my car I met Drumstick and Walrus at High Pt waiting to get a ride to FatFest for the weekend.
Heading South from Wawayanda again I ran into Cuppa Joe at the shelter and later Scholar and Whitestag, a section hiker out for the weekend. After that was Free Radical and Dorthy and Toto. Later south of Rt 94 I met the Honeymooners slackpacking, Wild Mtn Honey and One thing, a repeat thru-hiker. Later I met Vogue and Mother and then Toolman.
Spent the night tented at Pochuck and chatted briefly with Cheek and Peas, a nice couple from Wisconsin who were tented by the AT.

7/24 Met GettyLee and then THX and Wildcat near the Walkill Preserve. On the way into Unionville I met Litefoot and then Rumpelstiltskin and Gimpy, flipflop hikers who had tried to start a SOBO in early june but reported it being too wet.
At the Secret Shelter I met 3 great hikers, Pizza the Hut, Pumpkin and SnotRocket who were taking a nero and absolutely pigging out from food they bought in town. THey were going to roast dogs, had beers, ice cream, fruit and more. I spent about 4 hrs chatting with them and watching Jim Murray's famous frisky donkeys. Later in the afternoon I met CocoJolly and a hiker I believe was called Sensei. At the High Pt Shelter for the night was Paul, a Canadian thru-hiker who was making some good miles as well as a section hiker named Ben. Slept in my tent while the rain poured down for an hour or so.

7/25-Met Snowman from So. Wales at the HP park filling up water, and then had two meetings that day.

7/26-While out clipping branches all day and accompanying an ATC and NYNJTC employee while taking GPS readings of the Trail, I met Moss, Gumby and Poky, RedWolf, Mustard Seed, Swamp Donkey, Ziplock, Jackaroo, tracker, Okie Girl and two other girls whos names I didn't catch between Camp Rd and Sunfish Pond.

Another great week on the trail.

Smile
07-27-2005, 19:21
Anybody run in to "Easty"?

Brock
07-28-2005, 17:03
7/26-While out clipping branches all day and accompanying an ATC and NYNJTC employee while taking GPS readings of the Trail, I met Moss, Gumby and Poky, RedWolf, Mustard Seed, Swamp Donkey, Ziplock, Jackaroo, tracker, Okie Girl and two other girls whos names I didn't catch between Camp Rd and Sunfish Pond.

I thought Okie Girl was trying to find a work-for-stay for about 2 weeks to heal up what she thought was a hairline fracture in her foot?
That was in Duncannon around the 23rd.

diogenes
07-28-2005, 17:50
yesterday i met 7 NOBOs at High Point NJ

UCONNMike
07-28-2005, 21:24
they are all getting in my way ;)

I'm heading south, left June 4th from the Big K, and I just got into New York today and I have been seeing a ton of NOBO's each day....they just seem to multiply!

Kerosene
07-28-2005, 21:27
I ran into Okie Girl in the Chestnut Knob Shelter (really a hut) just south of Bland, Virginia on June 3rd when she decided to take a zero after the rain and wind of the prior afternoon and night.

Askus3
07-29-2005, 07:39
Yesterday, at the NY 17A AT crossing, I met Mr. Cricket, Litmus & TreeTops and another AT hiker - did not get his name. Gave them a ride over to Bellvale Creamery. I showed Litmus the Hawk Watch and pointed out High Point from where they came a couple of days ago. Also showed her the Blue trail back to the AT to avoid the Road walk on NY 17A. Now, I have some distressing news, started a new thread on this one on the General Forum. Also, saw Domino sitting with his pack here on the shoulder of the road and I and my pug Sam were going to deliver my weekly trail magic to Wildcat Shelter but instead took him to Harriman instead where he was going to stay in a motel and meet his girl friend. He needed to take a few days off the trail as he got a bad case of Lyme disease. He said he tried hiking and did 16 miles this dayy but he is in bad strats and figured a rest is in order. Sothen as I was over in Arden at the AT crossing of NY 17, coming out of the woods was Ratrace & GQ. They wanted a lift to the Red Apple Rest in Southfields. Gave them a ride. So instead of water, beer and other goodies at Wildcat it was car ride magic this time.

skeeterfeeder
07-30-2005, 17:52
I'm doing a zero in Gorham, NH., with hopes of summiting around the 15th or 20th of August. There is a large number ahead and some may have already made it. I wish I had a list of everyone I am seeing in the shelter journals, but I don't. I know Dad's Grin is 9 days ahead, Stick is 4 days ahead, El Jefe, Geronimo, Frenchie, Flip, Buckwheat, August, Blue-eye, to name a few are all well into Maine. The celebrations on Katahdin will soon begin.

Icicle
07-30-2005, 19:32
7/25-Met Snowman from So. Wales at the HP park filling up water, and then had two meetings that day.YAY! I have been scanning this thread to see if anyone ran into my hubby!! Now have to check if he's where I estimated....thanks for the update!! :sun

I'm so pleased he's only 2 days behind Dorothy & Toto!! He may just catch them yet!

Baby Blue
07-30-2005, 22:16
Chopstick, Lucky and Plus One will be in Duncannon tonight and tomorrow.

Rainman
07-30-2005, 22:59
I was on the long Trail between North Adams and Jonesville from July 1 through July 16. Between North Adams and Maine Junction (July 10, with a zero at US Route 4) I met Finn, Chairman, Shera (Princess of Power), Ranger Danger, Montana, Slow Walker, Prarie Dog, Shades of Blue, Turtle, Sebastian, Colonel Forbin, and Captain Crunch.

These folks all seemed to be toward the front of the thru hiker pack and moving fast, between 20 and 30 miles a day. There were some exceptions, like Slow Walker and Shades of Blue, who were completing the trail in two seasons.

trailangelmary
07-31-2005, 04:01
Although I hear there are still some hikers south of here, these hikers and more were in Duncannon this week: (They are having a blast and still plan on making it to Katahdin to finish the hike, as I feel confident they will.) Noonan, Mr. Pink, Uncle Silly & Katy Daly, Blue Phoenix, Wookie, Coldfeet, Totally DIfferent Subject, White Crow, Slideshow & Toshi. There were more whose names I don't remember. But there is a great group pic taken when I spotted hikers coming out of Sorrentos and had to come out of the Pub and holler "hiker trash" (lovingly, of course). I hope the hikers who took the pics will remember to share the photo. They were doing the Duncannon bar hop and having a great time. :clap

Tin Man
07-31-2005, 07:40
I was on the trail north of Kent, CT yesterday and ran into Goosebump, Fancypants, Ox, Troy, Hannah (Del. Water Gap to Benington, VT), and a few others. All seemed in great spirits and going strong.

Air Head
07-31-2005, 10:11
Hi folks:

I'm a totally new person to.. well, hiking in general. I went on my first section hike (I guess that's what it is? I only did about 17 miles) from Thursday until yesterday with a friend. I ran into Mustard Seed, Swamp Donkey, and a couple of other hikers on Thursday at the Gren Anderson campsite in NJ, near Culver's lake. They passed my friend and me early Friday, even though we left camp earlier. Since the Mashipacong shelter was closed down, we ended up at the Rutherford Shelter, about 11 mi. from Gren. We ran into another group of day-hikers, and Peace Pipe. Great guy. My friend and I ended our route at the High Point Monument. On the way back, we ran into Peace Pipe again. It floored me when he said he was only (*only*) going 10 mi. today. I tell ya, you thru hikers are crazy... in a good sort of way. : )

mooseboy
07-31-2005, 15:45
Hiked all of Mass. (S=>N) between 7/18-24. Here's a list of Thrus I remember meeting:

Forever North
Raj
Dr. Nick
Lobster
Out of Step
Captain Caveman
Gills & Samoa (husband/wife, SOBO)
Pokie Puppy & Squirrel (finishing thru from previous year)

There were others, but sadly didn't retain everyone's names... Plenty of SOBO's crossed paths with me, but our encounters were pretty brief.

Also plenty of sectioners like myself: Shoeless, Redfoot, Ryan.

Heard a lot about Draggin', who was about a day ahead of me, after taking some zero days, in Cheshire; in fact, his mom lived there and we spoke briefly.

A-Train
08-02-2005, 12:21
Well the surge has slowed down a bit in Jersey, but the nobos are still coming thru. No Sobo's so far.

Met Mr. Fusion, Badger, Slaphappy, TreeTrunks, and Praying Mantis at the DWG Hostel on 7/29. Graceful Hiker and Fusion stayed up at Backpacker Campsite.

7/30-Met a lot of the same folks again, as well as NightCrawler and Stretch, Moonpie and Backtrack.

7/31-Met more of the same folks plus Spoonman, TurnAnkle and Stumper, an "interesting" section hiker named Screamer and Blaze, Dreadie Bear and their dog.

Last night I stayed with three hilarious guys named Lefty, Hippie and Monkey at Gren Anderson as well as Tim, who is hiking from DWG to Katahdin.

This morning I met Saxy Lady, Jeweler and Elf.

Askus3
08-02-2005, 12:33
Last night I made my weekly hike into Wildcat and while I was there Timothy had the run of the place. A question for A-Train. This can't be the same section hiking Timothy as he said he spent last night at Waywayanda and you have him at Gren Anderson. Also, he said he was section hiking from DWG to NY/CT line for two weeks where you have him going all the way to the Big "K". He was a quiet young man from Hudson, NJ. No SOBO yet on my weekly jaunts, but I know they are out there.

A-Train
08-02-2005, 12:40
Last night I made my weekly hike into Wildcat and while I was there Timothy had the run of the place. A question for A-Train. This can't be the same section hiking Timothy as he said he spent last night at Waywayanda and you have him at Gren Anderson. Also, he said he was section hiking from DWG to NY/CT line for two weeks where you have him going all the way to the Big "K". He was a quiet young man from Hudson, NJ. No SOBO yet on my weekly jaunts, but I know they are out there.

Different guy. This guy has blisters the size of nickels. 18 miles on day 2 is too much! SOBO's should be hitting Wildcat anyday or hour now.

Croc'
08-02-2005, 19:46
Was out with the wife this past Saturday, July 30, and spent the night at Toms Run Shelter in Pine Grove Furnace State Park. In about 10:00 that evening was a nobo, Kentucky. Said he thought he was the last of the nobos and that he was doing 20 a day to catch up with friends.

trailangelmary
08-03-2005, 00:21
Kentucky is in Duncannon now. I met him at Trail Days and he stopped at The Pub to say hello. He remembered that I live in Duncannon. There was another hiker that joined him. Can't remember his name but it had smething to do with being a biker hiker! Kentucky related the same thing to me. He thinks he is the last north bounder as no one has passed him in three weeks.
So, the beginning of withdrawal of meeting lots of wonderfully interesting people will slow down till next season. Hopefully I will meet some interesting southbounders before the season slows down completely.
Congrats to all the hikers that are finishing. I will look for updates from those of you up north. See you at the Gathering.

alanthealan
08-03-2005, 14:10
KENT 08/03 NOBOs
Seeker
Kokamo
Fish-n-Game
Blaze
Peter Pan
Voge
Magictouch
Serinity
Poet
Freedom
Dorthy & Toto
Snowman

ferryman
08-04-2005, 19:25
You can bet your bottom dollar that with every sunrise happening up Katahdin way, there's a northbounder getting ready to finish his or her thru-hike from Georgia. The names are complete of nobo's crossing the Kennebec River, written in order from first day of July onward.:banana Diesel, Missippi, Bass Master, Big Daddy D, Green Star, Tim, Chino, Early Bird, PJ, The one and only Icebound who started 10-20-04, Jukebox, Odyssa, Running Man, Easy, Pilot, JR, Jay, Boomerang, Five-O, Biscuits!, Scrubs, Orphan, Pacer, Buzz, Bill, Steak n' Eggs, The Roaming Gnome, Seneca, ICAN, Paladia, The Wandering Bull, Day Tripper, Darcy, Senor Nobs, Iceman, Gunter, Pig Pen, Sir Walksalot, the hiker formerly known as Hell Boy, Leisure, Shera, Ranger Supurr Danger, Castaway of Team Vanity, Jive, Metric, Shorts, CDS, Diamond Joe, Moonpie, Liar Face, PA Pods, Jackrabbit, Scarecrow the nobo, 4-cheese, Sweet Cheeks, Kodak, Marion, Bars, Johnny Blaze, Old Scrubs, Skirt, Whitee, Batman, August, Spitfire, English Bob, Biscuit and dog Cola, Goldilocks, Chairman, Snowdog, Montana, Captain Crunch, Colonel Forbin, and lastly The B's.:bse My apologies for anyone I missed. I should also mention that Stewy and Teach found an alternative route for crossing the Kennebec River, but did start in Georgia along with these other folks. The Northbounder Thru-hiker of the month Club winner goes to "Scarecrow" who unselfishly gave up his shelter space for his hammock in the pouring rain at Pleasant Pd Shelter to "Grandpa Bob", who suffered lacerations to his legs descending Pleasant Pond Mtn in the dark. On a final note, today August 4 was a special day at the Kennebec River. I not only got fifty feet from a Bald Eagle but have safely ferried our 16,000th hiker across the Kennebec River. His name is Jim "Foot Loose" Russ from MD and the grand prize was a Moxie soft drink with Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream, Phish food of course. Keep on Keepin' on, Steve 'ferryman' Longley (18th season)

Rancid
08-04-2005, 21:49
Congrats to you Steve, I'm positive that you're a fond memory to 16,000 people who thru-hiked the AT, and even more folks like myself who have had the pleasure of meeting you at Caratunk. I'll be shaking your hand on Sept.10th when I come to the 2nd WhiteBlaze Gathering. Will you still be ferrying in 2010 when I finally finish the AT? I sure hope so. Stay dry, Rancid

ferryman
08-05-2005, 08:10
Thanks Rancid for the upbeat thread. I am fortunate and blessed to serve as ferryman this long and with the passage of our 16,000th hiker, this moment brings pause for reflection. For as long as soft rains cover this rugged landscape and the river flows timelessly to the ocean, my heart and soul tells me this is the place I am supposed to be. There are many more days ahead and many hikers whose dreams are to be completed before our paddles are laid to rest for the long cold winter months here in Maine. 2010, well, time will tell, but for now, Dean Gamage, Eric Tardiff and myself will take it "one day at a time".
Very Truly Yours, Steve ps see you Sept 10 at the second annual Whiteblaze gathering.

Tin-Man
08-05-2005, 08:35
So where on the Trail are the NOBO's? Does anyone know? Has the big slug of hikers made it past Pearisburg yet? Thinking about spreading some magic this weekend.I was on the 100 mile wilderness trail heading southbound a few weeks ago and passed at least 5 NOBO's each day. I am too heading up to the White Mtn's this weekend to spread some magic. I figure if I see 1 NOBO it is worth it :-?

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-05-2005, 08:46
I got an email from Wandering Bull - he summited the big K during the last week in July. :dance:banana:dance

Mr. Fusion
08-05-2005, 09:56
Taking a zero today at my uncle's place outside NYC. He picked me up at Graymoor Friary last night. Here's who was there:

Trampas
Ziplock \
Sweep ---- the Three Blind Mice
Moss /
Achilles (SOBO)
Peacepipe
Linus
Shootout
Minnie
The Brits (TCB & Bearbag)

I reckon Grenade Boy was going to roll in there last night as well.

VR,
Mr. Fusion

colbys
08-06-2005, 22:14
16,000...wow...thanks again steve for doin all the good and hard work for the rest of day hikers,section and thru-hikers...see you on the 10th

Scrunchy
08-07-2005, 11:34
Taking a zero today at my uncle's place outside NYC. He picked me up at Graymoor Friary last night. Here's who was there:

Trampas
Ziplock \
Sweep ---- the Three Blind Mice
Moss /
Achilles (SOBO)
Peacepipe
Linus
Shootout
Minnie
The Brits (TCB & Bearbag)

I reckon Grenade Boy was going to roll in there last night as well.

VR,
Mr. Fusion
I'm so glad to see that Grenade Boy is still hiking!!! I gave him a ride from Newfound Gap to Gatlinburg on April 30th, but hadn't seen his trail name in any of the journals or posts since.

neighbor dave
08-08-2005, 06:38
chickety and myself are in stratton maine!!! 187 miles to go.:banana

saw the big K the last couple a days. weather's great. distant views all around.
someone told me they painted double yellows over the 2000 mile mark on long falls dam road. i'm gonna git me some white paint today here in stratton and fix that fo sho!!!:banana :jump :banana :jump

Jaybird
08-08-2005, 08:09
Some of the Thru-hikers...i hiked with for 3+weeks in April & May, "Beantown" in N.Adams,Mass, "Apple Pie" has just crossed near NY 52, "Hopeful Hiker" in Harriman,NY, "Sleeveless" @ Graymoor Friary, "Bravo" =MIA,
"Cycle Hiker" just crossing the Maine state line,
"Grits" & "Birdhouse Bob" =Unknown

canoehead
08-08-2005, 18:42
was just up at the Tom leonard, Greatbarrington Ma. shelter 8-4-05 and saw sleeveless NoBo, who by the way seems to be doing okay from her adventure from wrestling with a racoon down in jersy somewere.guess she had to go and get her rabbie shots, but anyway she seems fine and in good spirits. also saw lowjack NoBo. and the turbinator headed south bo, he has some messed up knee problems, but is still plugin away at the miles

safe adventures
canoehead

A-Train
08-09-2005, 18:25
Not much to report this week.

Met 3 Sobo's hanging out at Sunfish Pond on saturday evening. They had left Katahdin June 6th, exactly 2 months prior, so were making good time. They were all friends who started together from Jersey. Names were Little Debby, Tugboat and forgot the last one. They knew RIT Blake and the other guy who always post here and are now SOBOing.

Today I met Bearbait at Mashipacong Shelter who was heading north. The shelter has a new register and a picnic table.

The Nobo's are pretty sparce at this point and I don't expect to see many groups as I have for most of summer. I assume a few stragglers will round out the pack in the next week or so. SOBO's should be on the way

Cookerhiker
08-09-2005, 20:32
Anyone know where Grits is? Is he still on the Trail?

dje97001
08-10-2005, 07:20
8/5 met Ben (nobo) who had taken some time off to go rock climbing (like that was time off!) and the next day he flew by us. 8/6...Ran into Umbledog, SnotRag, Crazyhorse, Cucumber Boy and Starchy heading north through Kent/Falls Village, CT. 8/8... Also ran into Sassafras, Cricket and Bump who were walking their way north to VT.

CT was gorgeous, can't complain at all about the weather the last 5 days have been cool(ish) and fairly dry. Only major issue while out on the trail was the discrepancy between official AT maps and reality w/respect to water source availability (specifically at Sharon Mtn. Campsite) led us to hike an extra 3 miles without water. Luckily Belters had a little spring.

Also, notes posted everywhere suggest that the Silver Hill Campsite pump is not working (i.e. no water). While we were there the CT Wilderness School (sounds like a great organization) kids managed to get a good amount of rusty water after about 4 minutes of frantic pumping. It was impressive to say the least!

PeacePipe
08-10-2005, 08:43
Hey this is Peacepipe, I am in Kent Conn. right now and I ran into Badger,Mr. Fusion, and Gracefull yesterday. I was wondering if anyone knew where Miles Away was at. I heard she got off the trail but I have no way of contacting her. I would love to get in touch before I get to Maine. Thanks

Jaybird
08-10-2005, 10:03
Anyone know where Grits is? Is he still on the Trail?

i hiked with "GRITS" & "Birdhouse Bob" in May...up to VA hwy 606.
i hear they have entered PA now (from my friend: "DragonFly" )

Mr. Fusion
08-11-2005, 17:49
11 Aug 2005
Salisbury CT

NOBOs
-----
Mr. Fusion
Badger
Graceful
Backtrack

SOBOs
-----
Sergeant
Stinky (somethingorother)

Also, does anyone know what happened to Brewmaster/Brewmeister? Hiked with him for a while back in GA and would like to get in contact with him. None of the NOBOs that have passed me had heard of him, so I figure he's been off the trail for a good long time.

UCONNMike
08-12-2005, 01:31
I'm a SOBO this year and I'm in the church hostel in Vernon, NJ with 4 NOBO's. From what they told me, there aren't many behind them and we should be seeing teh last few north bounders this week. Sorry I can't remember their names, and I don't think they would like if I woke them up and asked ;)

atkentucky
08-18-2005, 22:40
Currently, I am in Vernon, NJ. I believe I am the last NOBO that doesn't plan on jumping up north. there are 2 hikers behind me a day--Mike the Hike and Wookie, but believe both may do a jump because of time restraints.

Here is a quick rundown of the register in Vernon

8/11 Lamby
8/12 U-haul
8/13 Whitecrow, Tortuga
8/14 Farmer, Lucky, Plus 1, Sunflower
8/17 Baby Blue, Chopstick
8/18 Kentucky

I believe i am the last NOBO because I stayed 5 days in duncannon and nobody passed me except pack-ass. Damn the Doyle for sucking me in lol.

Icicle
08-19-2005, 03:55
I spoke to my husband, Snowman last night and he's at a hostel in Rutland, VT. (he took a zero - will be hiking out later today) He's been hiking with Greybeard and LoJack. Also got an email from Slaphappy - she's in Dalton, MA.

It's amazing how just the sound of a loved ones voice on the phone across 3,000 miles can really make your day! :sun

Jaybird
08-19-2005, 08:59
a few of the gang i hiked with back in April & May:

"BEANTOWN" Wintturi Shelter/VT

"APPLE PIE" Hanover,NH

"HOPEFUL HIKER" East Mtn Retreat Ctr/Mass

"Sleeveless" Mt.Grelock/Mass

"Cycle Hiker" MAINE

Jack Tarlin
08-19-2005, 17:34
Where are the NOBO's? Geez, lots of them are in Hanover, with more showing up every day. For the past few days, we had Professor Nutbag, Ug, Crazylegs, LowBridge, Jax, Patch at our place. Great folks, wish they stuck around. Tonight we've got Hit Man, PussGut, Free Radical and maybe a few more; tomorrow, there'll be a bunch of folks who are hotelling or staying on campus. We've had wonderful folks every night for the past two weeks and look forward to another week or so of heavy traffic thru town. Anyone looking for a Nobo, or needing to pass along a message, let me or Blister Sister know as it's likely we'll run into them at some point. Another good place to leave a message or find someone is the hostel in Glencliff as anyone with any sense is staying there, as well they should.

BackSlacker
08-21-2005, 18:09
I met two thru hikers along the AT today in Wawayanda NJ. No Hurry and Sweet Tooth. I talked with No Hurry for a little while as he had a snack on the Summit. He explained that they got a late start, which would explain being in NJ in late August. Very nice guy, any trail angels out there keep an eye out, I'm sure they could use a little "magic".

Cookerhiker
08-22-2005, 19:34
I'm section hiking Maine and am in Andover right now. Thru-Hikers who have passed me in the last two days include Draggin, Retro, Dead Animal, Morel, Porter, Sean & Carolyn, Thumper, O'Connor, Vapor, and Pacman. Vapor just left Andover this afternoon.

A-Train
08-22-2005, 19:39
Currently, I am in Vernon, NJ. I believe I am the last NOBO that doesn't plan on jumping up north. there are 2 hikers behind me a day--Mike the Hike and Wookie, but believe both may do a jump because of time restraints.

8/11 Lamby
8/12 U-haul
8/13 Whitecrow, Tortuga
8/14 Farmer, Lucky, Plus 1, Sunflower
8/17 Baby Blue, Chopstick
8/18 Kentucky

I believe i am the last NOBO because I stayed 5 days in duncannon and nobody passed me except pack-ass. Damn the Doyle for sucking me in lol.

You're not the last NOBO with a fighting chance. Sweet Tooth and No Hurry were staying at Pochuck 2 nights ago. They left springer 5/15. Despite lots of folks telling them they won't make it, I believe these two can put in the miles.
I met Wookie, HikerX05 and Mike the Hike again today at Wawayanda Shelter. They were in NO hurry at all and seem to need to flip if they've got any shot at all of hiking the whole trail.

I've passed several southbounders in the past 2 days including Peanut Butter, Otie, Spud, Tugboat, Turbinator, Running Water and staying tonight at the Vernon Hostel is Hawkeye.

The trail has quieted down here in Jersey, and I can finally say it's cooled down a bit. The Trail is wonderful!

Icicle
08-23-2005, 03:53
Snowman left Hanover, NH yesterday afternoon. He's doing great! Did a shake down of his pack to lessen the load for the final stretch! I am SO proud of him!:sun

Mr. Fusion
08-26-2005, 18:09
The town is packed with NOBOs today. GQ had counted 37 hikers. Can't remember 'em all, but I'll try. Note: some of these folks hiked out this morning, and some are sticking around for Blaze's birthday.

Badger
Blaze
Blotter
Bubble Boy
Colours
Eagle Foot
Featured
Fish'n'Game
Freedom
Getty Lee
GQ
History
Lady Scarecrow
Lightfoot
Limbo
Moonshine
Mr. Fusion
Ox
Peter Pan
Pine Dragon
Pixie
Sandy
Scholar
Sequined Gretsky
Smoke'n'Kitty
Swayze
THX-1138
Walrus

banjolady
08-26-2005, 18:46
I met Mike the Hike today on the AT heading northbound in NY state, somewhere south of Bear Mt in Harriman Park heading over to fort montgomery. He's doing ok but was short of water which we remedied. The woods are VERY DRY right now and there is very little water between Agony Grind and BEar Mountain. There is a confusing turn on top of west mt which can get people lost--it is not well marked. we put up some branches and cairns to help people find their way. Our local trail supervisor has been notified and will send someone out to re-paint the faded out blazes on the tree to signal the turn.
if anyone wants a full size copy of our NYNJTC map of the area with the turn email me at [email protected]

Miss Janet
08-30-2005, 15:35
I am so happy to see the names of my "kids" that you all are seeing up north! Tell them hello from me if you get the chance.

Mike the Hike is an amazing man. One morning at breakfast he held the whole table spellbound as he told about hiking adventures all over the world! I never asked him his estimate of how many miles he has hiked but I am sure it is way up there! Wish him Happy Trails from me if you are lucky enough to meet him on the trail.

Kerosene
08-30-2005, 18:41

8/13 Tortuga
Wow, I met Tortuga at Jenkins Shelter just south of Bland, Virginia in early June. She was having a bad day, literally stumbling the 4 miles from the Davis Farms Campsite on a wet day where she fell down three times and banged her head once. The night before her sleeping bag had gotten wet in her hammock. I did not expect to still see her still plodding northward, but it looks like she might have a chance to finish this year! Go, go, go, go!

randoark
09-03-2005, 23:45
Met Tortuga in a shelter with 3 other northbounders at South Wilcox Mountain Shelter in southern MA - she was recovering from Lyme disease and so was taking it slow, but seemed in good spirits. This was on the 21st of August.

Ran into Kentucky, who seemed pretty sure he was the last NOBO, but two days later ran into Wookie - on the 31st of August encountered Flapper at Greymoor Monastery Ballfield. Today we're staying at the hostel in Vernon, NJ with a NOBO named Wounded Knee, who says there's still a few NOBO's behind him! So certainly they're still out there : ).

Also, if anyone finds a blue croc in Hemlocks Shelter in either southern MA or northern CT, I forget - it's mine, I lost it and I heard from another SOBO that he saw it there. So if you just happen to pack it out, drop me a note at [email protected] or leave me a note on http://www.sobohobos.com (http://www.sobohobos.com/) - I wouldn't mind paring it back up with its partner, who is starting to get lonely :P!

-Shian, AKA Barrel Roll
AT SOBO '05

rmtjr
09-04-2005, 00:06
If you see him please say "Hi" from Bob, the old guy in the early days in GA. He was hiking with his grandfather then and carrying about 60#.

Chickety
09-05-2005, 20:13
Crawford Notch - Labor Day Weekend! (Sun and Mon)

Umble Taohg
Sleevless
Lojack
Bonfire
Pokey & Gumby
Smushed Flat & ?
Lady Scarecrow & THX & dog
Red (something)
Panda - English guy
And a few others that I forget their names. :datz

SOBO
Castaway

We were looking for Poet, Feelin' Free and Serenity and found out that they should be coming through Crawford very soon! Weather looks great for the above crew heading over the Presidentials!!

Neighbor and I joined forces with RockDancer (class of 97) and between the 3 of us, we kept passing thru-hikers on a sugar high for the weekend!

Should add that RockDancer on Sat. saw 15 thru-hikers!!

Mr. Fusion
09-12-2005, 10:14
Have been taking it slow with Moonshine through the Whites. On our way to Rt. 2 yesterday passed a number of people who should be in Gorham sometime today: Blaze & Dready Bear, Piker & Ms. Mileage, Pixie & Pine Dragon, Crazy Horse, Seeker.

Most of Team Sloth is scattered in the vicinity: Holden, Linus, History, Bulldawg, the Three Blind Mice, Timshel.

Sunflower and Bottlerocket are leaving Gorham today.

Dorothy & Toto, Backtrack, and Shootout should be rolling in to Gorham late tonight or tomorrow.

Saw Moonpie and Minnie at Crawford Notch this morning. Grenade Boy, TCB, and Bearbag are somewhere near them.

Peter Pan, Sandy, and Limbo are way up the Trail, which is good since they'll avoid my taunts about Texas beating Ohio State this weekend.

Lilred
09-12-2005, 17:38
Have been taking it slow with Moonshine through the Whites. On our way to Rt. 2 yesterday passed a number of people who should be in Gorham sometime today: Blaze & Dready Bear, Piker & Ms. Mileage, Pixie & Pine Dragon, Crazy Horse, Seeker.

Most of Team Sloth is scattered in the vicinity: Holden, Linus, History, Bulldawg, the Three Blind Mice, Timshel.

Sunflower and Bottlerocket are leaving Gorham today.

Dorothy & Toto, Backtrack, and Shootout should be rolling in to Gorham late tonight or tomorrow.

Saw Moonpie and Minnie at Crawford Notch this morning. Grenade Boy, TCB, and Bearbag are somewhere near them.

Peter Pan, Sandy, and Limbo are way up the Trail, which is good since they'll avoid my taunts about Texas beating Ohio State this weekend.

Where's SaxyLady????????????

TrailDawg
09-13-2005, 16:44
This is a list of hikers in Gorham, NH as of 9/12 - some may have hiked out and some may not have. There were nearly 50 hikers at the Royalty Hotel last night.

Here goes:

Dandy
SaxyLady
Walrus (hiked out today)
Tool Man
Harmonica
Bulldog
History (hiked out today)
Backtrack
Soul Moose
Ziplock
Moss
Sweep
Linus
Timshel
Piker
Ms. Mileage
Listo (hiked out today)
Smushed Flat (hiked out today)
Poet
Scholar
Serenity
Feelin' Free
Moonshine
Mr. Fusion
Holden
Mateo (hiked out today)
Cherry Bomb
Tucker
Palatyus (sp)
Seeker
Dready Bear
Blaze
Thatch
Freedom
Fester (hiked out today)
Shoot Out
Crazy Horse
Cucumber Boy (hiked out today)
Sal Paradise
Elf
Slap Happy
Tree Trunks
Night Crawler
Jewler
Lefty
Hippie
Terrapin
Tweeder
Stretch
Dorothy
Toto

I think that is about it though I am sure I missed some.

Continued success to all this year's hikers!

Peace and Love ~

TrailDawg.com
~GAME04~

neighbor dave
09-13-2005, 19:33
saw bubbletoes and rawhide on the franconia ridge on 9-11-05:jump :jump :banana :welcome :sun :) :jump :welcome :banana

Mr. Fusion
09-23-2005, 09:31
Stratton ME - 22 Sept 2005

These are the people that were in town today. Some have slacked ahead, and others are camping outside town.

Backtrack
Bonfire
Crazy Horse
Cucumber Man
Getty Lee
Gumby
Hippie Longstocking
History
Holden
Lady Scarecrow
Lojack
Magic Touch
Moonshine
Mr. Fusion
Peace Pipe
Pizza the Hut
Pokey
THX-1138

ferryman
10-14-2005, 11:17
Recent rainfalls have raised water levels in Maine's rivers and streams making the last final days for northbounders getting to Katahdin somewhat difficult but not impossible. The ferry service is "officially" closed with Jacob "U-Haul" Ossoff crossing the Kennebec River on October 10. They say bad weather makes for good hiking stories, but "U-Haul" would rather have been home in dry clothes. Thru-hikers no.# 530 Aaron "Kentucky" Rottgering and no.# 531 Ben "Snackman" Watts, crossed the "mighty" Kennebec River yesterday at 11:00am. Using this thread as a virtual "Who's still out there" tool, please pass along a head's up about any hikers heading for the Kennebec River at Caratunk, either from Monson or Stratton, which are each about 35 miles away. Having crossed over 1,250 hikers safely so far this season, we would most strongly recomend all hikers to take the ferry service by simply calling Rivers and Trails at 207-663-4441 and making a reservation. More soaking rain is on the way for this weekend and winter is not very far away either. Safe trails to those northbounders still working their way to the Big K! :bse (Katahdin) Steve the ferryman

Jack Tarlin
10-15-2005, 14:36
Congratulations, Steve, on the end of another season, and thanx for everything you do.

SavageLlama
10-16-2005, 19:01
Just got back from a hike thru NH and into Maine.. the trail was ridiculously soaked. We came upon a lot of nice waterfalls, only to realize that was actually the trail. Fun times. (For once, I was actually happy to be heading home from a long section hike.) Wouldn't want to be trying to cross the Kennebec this week.

Cookerhiker
10-16-2005, 19:51
Recent rainfalls have raised water levels in Maine's rivers and streams making the last final days for northbounders getting to Katahdin somewhat difficult but not impossible. The ferry service is "officially" closed with Jacob "U-Haul" Ossoff crossing the Kennebec River on October 10. They say bad weather makes for good hiking stories, but "U-Haul" would rather have been home in dry clothes. Thru-hikers no.# 530 Aaron "Kentucky" Rottgering and no.# 531 Ben "Snackman" Watts, crossed the "mighty" Kennebec River yesterday at 11:00am. Using this thread as a virtual "Who's still out there" tool, please pass along a head's up about any hikers heading for the Kennebec River at Caratunk, either from Monson or Stratton, which are each about 35 miles away. Having crossed over 1,250 hikers safely so far this season, we would most strongly recomend all hikers to take the ferry service by simply calling Rivers and Trails at 207-663-4441 and making a reservation. More soaking rain is on the way for this weekend and winter is not very far away either. Safe trails to those northbounders still working their way to the Big K! :bse (Katahdin) Steve the ferryman
Steve, thanks for your service. It was nice to meet you and I enjoyed the trip across the river.

ferryman
10-18-2005, 09:02
The October hiking season has been on the wet side with lots of runnoff everywhere especially on the trail. Crossing the Kennebec at very high water yesterday were Whitecrow and Spoonman at 10:00am. Siince neither of these hikers called ahead, it was just another case of divine intervention. I have heard thru the trail grapevine that blue phoenix and side show were expected in the next couple days?? I have also heard of impassable fords on the Piscataquis and at Bakers Siding near Lake Moxie. This weekend will bring November weather and if your out hiking in Maine or New Hampshire and come across a hiker headed for Katahdin, please give a call to Rivers and Trails at 207-663-4441. Thank you, Steve Longley

TJ aka Teej
10-18-2005, 11:49
Passed your message along to the at-l, Steve.

ferryman
10-19-2005, 16:22
I just happened to hike down to the Kennebec River Ferry yesterday and just happened to see two hikers standing across the river waving a red signal flag. Blue Phoenix and Side Show were brought across separately due to the large volume of river flowing past the AT Crossing (approximately 12,000 cfs) at 10:00am. The river is usually much higher in the afternoon at about 2:30pm. I received a phone call this afternoon from Harrison's sporting camp at Pierce Pond to arrange a ferry for a hiker named "Rocket". I explained that the river would be lower in the morning and that I could take hiker #18 across at 10:00am. Rocket tried to call on his cell phone and I received a static message to ferry him at some time in the afternoon. I made two different trips to the river to check on him when finally Tim Harrison called with a land phone. Hiker #18 relates to how many hikers that have arrived to the Kennebec River after the close of the "Official" 144 straight day schedule from May 20 to Oct. 10. Folks who decide to arrive without confirming a specific time may be held up on the wrong side of the river and have to wait for an unspecified amount of time. Please call ahead for the ferry service because the Kennebec River cannot be forded at any time, day or night. Be safe out there and call 207-663-4441. Thank You, Steve

SavageLlama
10-19-2005, 16:37
if your out hiking in Maine or New Hampshire and come across a hiker headed for Katahdin, please give a call to Rivers and Trails at 207-663-4441. Thank you, Steve Longley
Steve, I saw Tartuga, Frick, Noonan and Kong in Gorham last week. They were headed north but i'm not sure what their plans are.

ferryman
10-20-2005, 20:21
I ferried "Rocket" across the Kennebec River today at 10:00am. The river is incredibly high due to recent rainfall the last two weekends. There is no chance of fording although 1,260 hikers decided to take the ferry as compared to just a meager 12 hikers deciding to ford. Warren Doyle must be crying in his "tenured" state of mind. Thanks for keeping an eye out for these late comers, who in all their late arrival, will be given the courtesy of an safe passage across the Kennebec River. We will not rest comfortably until every northbound hiker arrives to be ferried across the mighty Kennebec River on their march towards Katahdin.
Sincerely, Steve the ferryman

ferryman
10-23-2005, 13:56
There was yet another call for flooding here in the hinterlands of Maine and there are still northbound hikers tryiing to get to Katahdin. The flood watch issued today was the fifth of the year and current thru- hikers in Maine are getting a taste of what earlier southbounders had to go through in May and early June. Thanks for the kind words, Jack, Cookerhiker and TJ, however there remains at least four more hikers to ferry across the Kennebec River and then our eighteenth season will be over. I am not so concerned about the ability of these latecomers as I am about the misinformation written in registers by WD on his "drive by" hiking, "make up your own rules" commercial venture thru-hike?? this year. Each his or her own choice is the right of every hiker, but instructing hikers to undertake a "potentially dangerous" ford is bad medicine. Thanks for all the sightings, Steve

Mini-Mosey
10-23-2005, 15:14
Steve(who I hope to meet someday): Did you by any chance ferry a thru-hiker with the trail name "Unknown" at any time? I've been wondering about him; I met him in Harpers Ferry several months ago. His real name is Tony. Thanks..

ferryman
10-24-2005, 18:07
I stopped by the Caratunk Post Office today and a hiker named Charlie Franklin (trailname?) called Marie the Postmaster requesting his maildrops be sent to Stratton as he was out of food and still heading to Katahdin. Presumably, he's not alone and is close to arriving to Stratton in the next couple days. Rain is the word of the month and with snow expected this evening in higher elevations, hikers are enduring tough hiking conditions. I make an effort to stop down by or near the river crossing (binoculars) to scout for any hikers at Noon and at 5pm, who may have arrived to get across the Kennebec River. Tonight at 5pm, no sight of any northbounders, but I'm sure to pluck a hiker across sometime in the next week. The name "Unknown" rings a bell, but until I go through the pile of paperwork, I cannot at this time verify this hiker. Yes, Laurie at ATC, I am working on a final report to get down to you, but at this time, northbounder activity is not final. Thank you for your patience. About 530 + GA-ME northbounders have come thru so far this year. Later, Steve the ferryman

ferryman
11-14-2005, 18:26
Rob "Inspector Gadget" Flynn crossed the Kennebec River today at 2:15 pm, making him the 531st northbounder to arrive to Maine and hopefully summit Katahdin within the next 12 days. We have had two snow events since the Oct 10th "official" last day of the Kennebec River ferry service, however, 20 more hikers have arrived later to get across the high level river. Rob was doing great and is determined to reach Katahdin unless the weather becomes too extreme and foolish pride put him in harm's way. A hiker named Justin e-mailed me last Wednesday November 9 and said to expect him in about a week. At this point, we are looking forward to the "last" northbound hiker, so we can call it a year. Yours still at the river....Steve Longley

brrrr it's gettin' wicked cold..:banana..

weary
11-14-2005, 18:57
Rob "Inspector Gadget" Flynn crossed the Kennebec River today at 2:15 pm, making him the 531st northbounder to arrive to Maine and hopefully summit Katahdin within the next 12 days. We have had two snow events since the Oct 10th "official" last day of the Kennebec River ferry service, however, 20 more hikers have arrived later to get across the high level river. Rob was doing great and is determined to reach Katahdin unless the weather becomes too extreme and foolish pride put him in harm's way. A hiker named Justin e-mailed me last Wednesday November 9 and said to expect him in about a week. At this point, we are looking forward to the "last" northbound hiker, so we can call it a year. Yours still at the river....Steve Longley brrrr it's gettin' wicked cold..:banana..
Though the ferryman is still ferrying hikers, I believe he stopped getting paid, at least by ATC, five weeks ago.

Blister
11-15-2005, 17:35
Hellkat is off the trail and safe at home

MileMonster
02-08-2006, 13:57
Bringin' this thread back up for a new year so we all know in case the trail magic buzz hits.

Is anyone headin' NoBo yet?

attroll
02-08-2006, 14:01
Maybe someone should start a new thread on this and naming it "Where are most 2006 NOBO's right now" so that it is not confused with last years one.

Askus3
02-08-2006, 16:25
Taking ATTROLL up on his suggestion, here is the link (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12770) to the 2006 edition of this thread.