PDA

View Full Version : tents

simon
04-28-2005, 17:30
Everyone talks about the perfect tent. Do any of you have a brand name that you honor more then another? Trying to narrow my pick of tents without going the stress of looking at each tent made.

chris
04-28-2005, 17:34
In tarp tents, I would look at those from Henry Shires and Ron Moak. Check out:

http://www.tarptent.com

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com

Some tarp tents have as much weather protection as regular tents. The main thing is that you have to get used to some of the odd properties of a single wall, silynylon shelter.

For regular tents, I've used (and liked) those made by Walrus (now MSR), MEC (http://www.mec.ca), and Sierra Designs. None of these would I take on the AT, though, as they are overkill.

Peaks
04-28-2005, 17:37
Tents: Consider weight, size, fit, price and reputation. Talk with your local outfitter.

bulldog49
04-28-2005, 17:40
While I don't have one, but plan to buy one soon, I really like what I see and read about the MSR Hubba. I'm a solo hiker who hikes late fall through mid-spring. I prefer a free-standing tent. This tent at 3 lbs has exactly what I need in a tent. I've been intrigued by tarptents and single wall tents but have doubts about how well they handle both types of moisture ( generated internally and externally).

verber
04-28-2005, 19:20
Tents: Consider weight, size, fit, price and reputation. Talk with your local outfitter.
I totally agree you should consider weight, size, fit, price and reputation. Alas, most local outfitters are clueless these days. Talk with people who actually have experience. This forum, yahoo group backpackinglight, backpackinglight.com, and backpackgeartest.org are good sources of info.

When it comes to double walled tents, you can't go too wrong with Sierra Designs. For single wall, free standing, 4-season tents Bibler is the cat's meow. For tarptents (which I highly recommend for most three season uses) tarptent.com and the new shelters from sixmoondesigns.com

For other ideas check out http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/sleep-system.html#Shelter

I've been intrigued by tarptents and single wall tents but have doubts about how well they handle both types of moisture (generated internally and externally).
I have used a tarptent squall with great success including a nasty storm along the lost coast and a hail/rain/light snow storm above tree line in the sierras. Likewise, I have had pretty good luck with a Bibler i-Tent in the winter... I just wish the eVENT version of this tent wasn't pulled :(.

Tractor
04-28-2005, 20:09
MSR (used to be Walrus) Zoid: 1.0, 1.5 and 2.0.

simon
04-29-2005, 06:51
All these are great thoughts,thank you, but i was thinking more on websites to begin my search. An example might be "the north face" or "eureka", any one have preferences?

Peaks
04-29-2005, 08:01
All these are great thoughts,thank you, but i was thinking more on websites to begin my search. An example might be "the north face" or "eureka", any one have preferences?

My own choice includes MSR (formerly Walrus), and Sierra Designs because those are the ones I have experience with. Certainly firms like Bibler have a good reputation also.

If I were in the market for a new tent I might also consider a tarp tent.

I use Eureka tents for car camping, not backpacking.

Nean
04-29-2005, 08:25
I love my old Moss Solet. Moss was bought by REI, then MSR. I've always prefered my double wall, though one is all mesh. Several reasons why; no problem w\ staying dry inside or out. No bugs or scorpions- sometimes when the skeeters are swarming I'll set my tent up for lunch. Light, only 3+ lbs. Headroom, so you can sit up. And unlike the tarps can be set up just about anywhere and takes up a fraction of the space. I prefer exposed ridges if possible as you can watch the sunset or better yet, sunrise.

hiknthru
04-29-2005, 11:46
Big Sky's 2005 Teton Revolution and Evolution tents are worth checking out... they were shown at the ADZPCTKO this last weekend:
www.bigskyproducts.com (http://www.bigskyproducts.com/)

just hiknthru...

grrickar
04-29-2005, 13:31
Anyone have any experiences with the Kelty Teton 2? It is a 2 man, 4lb 10oz tent with vestibule on one side and can be purchased at Sports Authority, Campmor and most other retail outlets for less than $100. Looks to have plenty of ventilation, easy setup, aluminum poles, clip design (no pole sleeves, which I hate). It will be cozy with two adults (4' 2" width) but would make for a nice one man 'luxury tent' to be able to drag all your gear inside with you.

For a one man roomy no-frills tent, my MSR Hubba is about as simple as it gets without going the tarp route.

Roland
04-29-2005, 13:35
Big Sky's 2005 Teton Revolution and Evolution tents are worth checking out... they were shown at the ADZPCTKO this last weekend:
www.bigskyproducts.com (http://www.bigskyproducts.com/)

just hiknthru... I would have more respect for the company if it didn't attempt to bring attention to its products by hiding behind an alias, to engage in self-promotion.

Brushy Sage
04-29-2005, 13:49
North Face Canyonlands. Am I dating myself?

JoeHiker
04-29-2005, 14:58
I would have more respect for the company if it didn't attempt to bring attention to its products by hiding behind an alias, to engage in self-promotion.
I probably missed this from an earlier thread or something? What company is hiding behind what "alias"?

And what company does NOT engage in self-promotion? Isn't that just another term for "advertising"?

Two Winds '97
04-30-2005, 19:02
2 person, 4 season, 2.33 lb, Been using mine for years, love it.

http://www.warmlite.com/tents.htm

Doctari
04-30-2005, 19:10
Nomad by wanderlustgear.com After 350 trail miles with it, I still love the thing.

I have one of the first 100.

That or a decent tarp with bug netting.

Doctari.

uscgretired
04-30-2005, 19:47
North Face Canyonland, tad on the heavy side but a quality tent. Would consider a Squall with all the extras.

RagingHampster
05-01-2005, 04:35
Dancing Light Gear Arapaho Solo.
I looked everywhere for a tent that met my demands and was ready to make one until I found this. I removed (cut-off) my stormdoors and have an older option of velcro for the mesh doors. I also have a custom 5" bathtub floor.

Single-wall (No-fly), just over 2lbs w/stakes and sack, a full wall view, and 4'x8' worth of room. Also packs down very small.

http://trailquest.net/dlgcarapaho.html

NICKTHEGREEK
05-01-2005, 08:37
Walrus Arch Rival- alas no longer with us, but 34 sq ft in a 4 lb package a delux accomodation for one. I may be too nostalgic but I had my best trips with this tent and it's still first choice among the 5 tents I own
Garuda Tasir (Dana Design) really well made solid design that provided a wealth of room, excellent ventilation and strong it weighed about 8 pounds with groundsheet and pegs but it was ideal for 2 splitting the weight.
Walrus Trekker tarp and insert. Pitched with your poles and was like a portable lean-to. Absolutely huge with a nice front awning to cook under. I really liked the one I borrowed for a rainy week, but never got around to buying one.
Of all the "new" stuff out there I think the nicest I've seen is the Mountain Hardwear waypoint 2. I like everything about it but the lack of a vestibule.

One tent I hate- Walrus Zoid 1.0 What was I thinking? Useless "vestibule" space, no ventilation in bad weather, cramped. Some day I'll make a gift of it to someone who really t'd me off.

Peaks
05-01-2005, 08:42
One tent I hate- Walrus Zoid 1.0 What was I thinking? Useless "vestibule" space, no ventilation in bad weather, cramped. Some day I'll make a gift of it to someone who really t'd me off.

Send it to me. I used this tent for the AT and a coast to coast bike trip. I like the side zipper that allows me to reach everywhere inside without crawling into the tent. Sure it's cozy, but large enough to provide me with shelter. And the vestibule is large enough for my boots. The pack stays outside under its rain cover.

To each their own.

Lilred
05-01-2005, 18:01

Do you mean the MSR Zoid, or did walrus make the zoid first? I've got the 1.5 zoid and the room is inside is great. There are two good sized vestibules which makes storing, and getting to your pack very easy. What a difference a .5 makes.

verber
05-01-2005, 21:25
Do you mean the MSR Zoid, or did walrus make the zoid first?
Walrus made the first version of the Zoid. When Walrus was purchased by MSR some of the tents were killed off, but the Zoid was slightly updated and then sold as an MSR tent.

Wastrel
05-01-2005, 22:13
"[QUOTE=NICKTHEGREEK]Walrus Arch Rival- alas no longer with us, but 34 sq ft in a 4 lb package a delux accomodation for one. I may be too nostalgic but I had my best trips with this tent and it's still first choice among the 5 tents I own"

Yep, I second your feelings for the Walrus. I'm mostly using a Warmlite 2R or a hammock now, but I haven't been able to part with the Walrus, especially the delightfully soothing pale green color on a dull day inside. Just a little bright on a bald under a full moon.

HikerHobo
05-02-2005, 02:40
Walrus Arch Rival- alas no longer with us, but 34 sq ft in a 4 lb package a delux accomodation for one.I agree, Nick. I have the Arch Rival XV.
It may seem to be a little heavy in this day
of everything lite, but the Arch Rival
is first class accomodations for one.

NICKTHEGREEK
05-02-2005, 07:31
Do you mean the MSR Zoid, or did walrus make the zoid first? I've got the 1.5 zoid and the room is inside is great. There are two good sized vestibules which makes storing, and getting to your pack very easy. What a difference a .5 makes.
Walrus made the first Zoids (1, 1.5 and 2), and later when MSR bought them and the associated Moss tent lines the Zoid design was revamped to add more mesh and an a large vent. The MSR Zoids don't suffer ventilation problems to the same degree as the Walrus made tents. Strangely in the last 2 or 3 years before Walrus-Moss sold out to MSR they came out with an XV (x-tra ventilation)version of many of their tents, and I thought that feature would have carried over to the Zoid line.

Ridge
05-02-2005, 11:07
My husband uses the old Walrus Swift, heavier/larger than the micro-swift. It's a 1.5 person tent and weighs 3.5 lbs including fly and steaks. He says it weighs a ton but wil not get a lighter tent. He use to use a tarp until a scorpion near the eye injury in Fla years ago. He says its the most waterproof tent ever. Stayed dry in 4 continuous days of hard rain in SNP a couple years ago. He wil have a hard time replacing this tent, unless he can find a good used one. However, the previous post speak of the zoids and may be worth checking out.
hikerwife