PDA

View Full Version : Would like to correspond with other female hikers

Gracie
08-11-2012, 21:39
I've wanted to hike the Appalachian Trail for many years now! I'm beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel and believe I'll be able to do the hike within the next three to five years, possibly sooner! I'm in my early fifties...however, I've been told I don't look it and certainly don't act it. :cool:
Unfortunately, after a lengthy experience with plantar fasciitis, I'm realizing I need to get back into hiking shape. I would love to correspond with other women who have similar goals, inspiring and encouraging each other along the way. I live in Maine.
Hope to hear from women of all ages!
sincerely,
"Gracie"
:banana

dink
08-11-2012, 21:48
Welcome Gracie!! I am closer to the 60 end of the 50s but sure don't act it either. Me too with the plantar faciitis, but with the proper stretches every day, it does not bother me much anymore. I have done some short hikes on the AT but more out west when I was working in various states in campgrounds and wildlife refuges. I am now on the eastern shore of maryland, working until I can take an early retirement in 5 years and planning the thru hike for that first spring!! I worked as a ocean kayak guide out of Bar Harbor a while back and loved Maine...hiked every trail on the island!! Most of my hiking time for now is while geocaching, averaging 15 to 20 miles every weekend...gotta start somewhere!! :)

Gracie
08-11-2012, 21:51
Hi. Thanks for your response. Can you share any of those stretching exercises you do for the plantar fasciitis please? Hope we can keep in touch. :)

Goonky
08-12-2012, 08:18
I've wanted to hike the Appalachian Trail for many years now! I'm beginning to see a light at the end of the tunnel and believe I'll be able to do the hike within the next three to five years, possibly sooner! I'm in my early fifties...however, I've been told I don't look it and certainly don't act it. :cool:
Unfortunately, after a lengthy experience with plantar fasciitis, I'm realizing I need to get back into hiking shape. I would love to correspond with other women who have similar goals, inspiring and encouraging each other along the way. I live in Maine.
Hope to hear from women of all ages!
sincerely,
"Gracie"
:banana

Hi Gracie! Welcome! I'm an hour south of Portland near Sanford. I'm 46 and just started hiking the trail a few years ago. I'm a section hiker right now, but may someday do a thru when my life schedule allows it. I'm always interested in meeting people to partner up for section hikes.

Feel free to PM for more info. :)

LadybugPicnic
08-12-2012, 12:55
Hi Gracie! I have lived in California for the last 4 years, but moved here from Standish, Maine. I am 46 years old and I'm currently planning a thru-hike of the A.T. for next year, starting on April Fools' Day, with some other ladies in my age range that I've met here on Whiteblaze. It has been my dream for many years and I am very, very excited to start.

I hiked a lot in Maine (including Katahdin!) and the White's -I really miss it there. Are you a member of the Maine Outdoor Adventure Club (MOAC)? I was a member and met a lot of fine people that I hiked with regularly.

I will be blogging during my journey and will share the link if you're interested. I have plantar fibroma on the bottom of both of my feet (large lumps on the arch) which are sometimes painful. I plan on getting getting orthotics to accommodate them. They have never slowed me down before and I will continue to not let them :)

Good luck to you and stay in touch!

dink
08-12-2012, 21:11
Hi. Thanks for your response. Can you share any of those stretching exercises you do for the plantar fasciitis please? Hope we can keep in touch. :)

The doc has me stand facing the wall or countertop, feet shoulder width apart, one foot in front of the other...keep your feet flat on the floor while bending your knees for a count of 10, switch the forward foot position and repeat the reps 5 times...the doc has me do these 4 or 5 times a day, one before I do any walking at all in the morning...I walk all day up and down the halls rooming patients in a large cardiologist office...I also wear brand name crocs which really helped the feet!!

ezrida
08-13-2012, 13:36
Can you share any of those stretching exercises you do for the plantar fasciitis please?

Hi
I am dealing with plantar fasciitis for more than a year now and my case was very painful in the beginning. I decided not to agree to any invasive kind of treatment because there are many things you can do to treat your PF although I understood that treatment efficiency is very individual.
When I started my plantar fasciitis treatment at the beginning I took a complete rest and gradually started walking and hiking. I also started some gym exercise routine. I have found taping very useful and I think that arch support has made my PF condition worse - the pain has moved also to my arches.
I think that the foot strength and stretching exercises has made a big difference for me. I have found a very good website page about foot strength exercises in: http://plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com/plantar_fasciitis_exercises.html

Gracie
08-13-2012, 17:09
Ezrida,
Thanks so much for the link! :)
sincerely,
Gracie

Gracie
08-13-2012, 17:10
Thank you! :)

LadyBird52
08-13-2012, 20:56
Hi Gracie, I have been section hiking the AT SOBO,since 2007 when I got hooked on it. I do not have any miles in this year due to a new job, but hope to squeeze some in this fall. Next summer, 2013, I am planning to finish Maine with a section hike from Stratton to East B Hill Road, about 68 miles I believe. I am a slow hiker, but enjoy taking in all the views. I definitely need to get back in hiking condition, so I am on a mission.

Gracie
08-13-2012, 22:05
So nice to hear from you LadyBird52. Thanks for writing. If you'd like to send me a private message, please do so.
I'd like to stay in touch. I know where East B Hill Road is and have done a little bit of hiking in that area. What is the time frame you are thinking of for doing that section next summer?

Mountain Mojo
08-14-2012, 00:54
Hi Gracie! I had planned on a Thru~Hike March 2013 (which is still up in the air, not sure yet about a leave of absence from work). I just turned 51 and live in Southwest Virginia, about 6 miles from the AT near Partnership. I'm currently getting into hiking shape by hitting the trail on the weekends with my pack building miles and just enjoying taking everything in (as well as meeting some really awesome people). Fast hiking is not my style, I'm in no hurry lol and I like to really experience the Experience! Mainly it's because I tend to go easy on my feet due to being diabetic and having foot pain, which the rocks aggrevate. It doesn't make me consider giving up my dream of a thru~hike, just makes me pay more attention to my body to try to prevent a more serious problem lol I wish you much success with your future goals and would be happy to correspond with you... Follow your dreams!

Gracie
08-14-2012, 13:26
Great to hear from you Mountain Mojo. I sent you a private message. Hope to hear from you again soon. :)

1peanut
08-16-2012, 17:35
I also had trouble with plantar fasciitis and then about five years ago I started taking yoga classes a couple times a week. Then one day I noticed it hadn't bothered me since I started the classes and it hasn't since. I have learned to love yoga is good for the body and soul. I am 48 and live in Tennessee. I have done several small section hikes with my son. He did a 700 mile hike in 2010 starting at Springer. I love being out in the woods. Would love to someday do a thru hike.

RedMolly
08-17-2012, 08:32
Hi, Gracie! I'm currently 51 and planning my thru-hike for 2014, if all the planning comes together. I live about an hour from the AT in the Port Clinton area (maybe 2 hours from the Delaware Water Gap), northwest of Philly. The plan is to get up to the Port Clinton area every couple of weeks for a training hike (with full pack weight next year).

I've had one bought with what I think was plantar fasciitis, but stretching and heel insoles relieved it, so I never needed to get it checked out. My knees are my issue! But they'll figure it out. I hope. :)

Feel free to pm me if you'd like to chat.

beecharmer
09-04-2012, 21:46
Hey Gracie,
I'm in Kennebunk Maine and was going to leave in a few weeks to do half the trail... Well I had to postpone, I hope to start in Georgia in the Spring. We should get together for a few hikes.
Beecharmer

EllieMP
09-05-2012, 10:12
Hi Gracie.. Isn't it wonderful to finally set a time to go hike the trail? I too have wanted to do this hike and always pushed it aside for other things that "had" to be done. I'm 59 this year and I better make this happen if it's going to happen. 2014 is my goal. Now I am excited! Past hikes have been using borrowed gear from friends and family. I'm getting my own this time as I want to go ultralight. This site is wonderful for supplying information! I would like my pack to be under 20 lbs.

I'm sorry to hear that you have plantar fasciitis. Though I am fortunate not to have any health issues to deal with, I do feel that time is working against me. Another reason to get on the trail before age catches up to me. Right now I only do day hikes in the local Santa Monica mountains. I also am a dog walker which adds up to many miles in a day. My legs are strong. What I have noticed is that I haven't the flexibility I used to have. I've let my yoga practice slip away and need to get back into that. I also need to get back into the Sierra Club hikes that they offer. There are plenty of opportunities here in California.. I just have to do it!!! ha.

I wish I could be back in New England to practice hike in the mountains. I grew up in Massachusetts near the trail and have lived in the Green Mountains of Vermont and not far from the White Mountains of New Hampshire. I visited Maine twice a week when we pulled our lobster traps for two summers. Happy times.. happy memories.

Take care,
Ellie

melaniebk
10-15-2012, 20:18
Hi Gracie, I'm 50 and my daughter and I are planning a SOBO thru-hike, June/July 2013 start. Right now, she's completing her final semester of college, so I've been day hiking with some other women. When she gets done with school in December, my daughter and I will be doing some weekend backpacking trips to test out our gear and prepare for the AT. We've been forewarned that we're starting with the hardest part of the trail first, but it just fits with our plans better. I'm in the Upstate of SC about 30 miles from the NC border and she's in college near Asheville, NC, so we do almost all of our hiking in the mountains. I'm really excited about the WB site; everyone takes your quest seriously and responds with the best info and experience they have. It's been nice to see so many people who love the outdoor lifestyle. There will be thru hikers in both my daughter's and my age ranges! Happy trails to you!

dink
10-15-2012, 20:42
Hey Gracie...I am beginning to think my doc had the foot problem all wrong...I figured out that one pair of shoes seemed to always make my foot hurt, so I quit wearing them and gave them to my roommate...and her foot started hurting...mine has not hurt one bit since I quit wearing them and they are now in the trash!!! Hope all is well with you and your plans are progressing nice and smooth!!

Daissc
10-18-2012, 18:41
Hi all!
I'm new to this site and I am hoping to connect with other section hikers. I would love to thru hike but I can't right now due to job commitments. I would like to start section hiking the AT next year. I live in western Pennsylvania and I will turn 50 in a couple of months. I was thinking of starting in PA but I'm open to other ideas.

S'more
10-18-2012, 18:56
Hi Gracie- and everyone!

I am new to this site as well, hoping to make connections with others ( in my/our age group) for section hiking, and hopefully a thru hike in the next 3-5 years as well! I fall into the 50's category, but don't want to 'get' older! I am in NC, and have lived in ME.

starbright
10-19-2012, 00:08
Hi Gracie,
I'm 42 years old and am doing a thru-hike starting March 2013. I have many things against my hike before I even start but its been a dream for a long time. I have bone spurs on my heels that always hurt, A year ago I was told that I have spinal tumors with daily pain. 2010 I had knee surgery to keep my knee from coming out of place since then it has started coming out again. My doctors told me that I need a surgery to remove the tumors but because of where they are located I have a 70% chance of being in a wheelchair after surgery. So safe to say I have decided to put off the surgery and do a thru-hike. I'm not doing this hike to prove to anyone but myself that I can do this. I'm planning to leave out March 7 or 8 2013. So to give myself plenty of time incase of days that I'm unable to walk at all.
Two of my children are hiking with me. We planned to do this once before and due to medical problems have put it off. Now is the time for me and I can't wait. Many people on Whiteblaze have told me that I am crazy for trying to do a thru-hike for .
1. I've got many health issues
2. I'm doing this hike on $1K or less.
3. I did find someone to take care of the dog that I was going to bring.
So don't let anyone tell you not to for any reason.
Hope to see some of ya on the trail.

Akela
01-10-2013, 21:49
Hi all!
I'm new to this site and I am hoping to connect with other section hikers. I would love to thru hike but I can't right now due to job commitments. I would like to start section hiking the AT next year. I live in western Pennsylvania and I will turn 50 in a couple of months. I was thinking of starting in PA but I'm open to other ideas.

Hi, I could be interested. I live in Maryland and this year it is going hard to get more than weekends for hiking due to my job. So, I am interested in section hikes in PA, MD or VA...to start.

NurseLily2017
01-11-2013, 19:03
Hi Gracie! I'm new to this site and have also wanted to hike the AT for years. I'm 45, in that strange land between marriage and divorce, about to graduate nursing school in May and am hoping to start the hike on my 50th birthday (March 2017). My youngest stepson will be graduated from high school and it's a big birthday so it seems appropriate. =) I've re-invested in this goal because it gives me something to really look forward to during what is otherwise a difficult time. Would love to correspond, though you will have to forgive me if I'm hit or miss. My last semester of nursing school starts Monday and I'm never really sure what that will look like on a day to day basis. Hope to hear from you...inbox me if you'd like to chat.

Robin2013AT
01-11-2013, 19:12
Camden here..neighbor! I hike in the Camden Hills all year long. Spectacular vistas and endless loops you can create. They have 2 shelters and a renovated ski hut available (complete with wood , bunks and outhouse). The winter is the best. I am 53 and on March 16th I fly to GA and start walking home.

HikerMom58
01-11-2013, 20:21
HI Gracie... HikerMom here. This is a good place to connect. HOpe you are well. :)

Whispers: 57
01-12-2013, 23:41
Hi Gracie - and everyone. I've been dreaming of doing a thru hike on the AT for nearly 10 years. Perhpas in 3-5 years for me too! Maybe I'll see you out there.