PDA

View Full Version : earrings

RockyRoo
08-12-2012, 10:48
So after months on trail, my sterling silver stud earrings have tarnished into a dull grey/black. Wondering if there is a simple solution to get them and the backing clean. Preferably inexpensive and with ingredients easily found etc. don't want to replace them as they are sentimental and my 'go to' for anything outdoorsy.

DeerPath
08-12-2012, 12:18
A small bottle of silver cleaner, available at most hardware stores.

Rasty
08-12-2012, 13:50
Toothpaste or baking soda

Tazo
08-12-2012, 14:50
Some jewelry stores sell a very inexpensive cloth that you can just use to rub silver items clean. It works great! Congrats on the well-earned tarnish!

Wanderlost
08-12-2012, 15:21
+2 on the toofpaste..... :D

Sgt. Snape
08-12-2012, 17:37
use an eraser to gently rub the tarnish off and then wipe clean with a cloth

Bronk
08-12-2012, 23:07
Hot water, aluminum foil, salt and baking soda...and you don't have to scrub or polish, just dip:

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howtos/ht/silverdip.htm (http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howtos/ht/silverdip.htm)

Trail Bug
08-13-2012, 06:49
Get them Rhodium plated. Does not cost much and will keep them from tarnishing. Will look like white gold when done.

Whack-a-mole
08-13-2012, 14:00
The best and cheapest tarnish remover is....ketchup. No kidding. The slight acidity of the tomatoes will clean that stuff right up. Taco Bell hot sauce will do it also. I'm sure that you think I am joking, so take an old penny, place it in a cup smothered with a little ketchup, and leave it for a couple days. Take it out and rinse it off with plenty of fresh water. It will look brand new. No rubbing, no scrubbing, no toxic chemicals, or going to a jewelry or hardware store. Comes with the Whack-a-mole money back guarantee!!

Ladytrekker
08-13-2012, 14:37
I just bought a bottle of TarnX from Kmart for $3.99 and cleaned an entire service of silverware yesterday. You soak a cottonball and just touch the item takes seconds and the utensils look brand new. I was shocked at how easy it was to use and how fast it cleaned.