PDA

View Full Version : Pot size

Stir Fry
08-12-2012, 12:04
I tried to fine where it had been talked about but all I could find was stove size. What is the best size on the trail.

rocketsocks
08-12-2012, 12:18
Something smaller than a Wok, and bigger than a coffee cup. I guess it really depends on how and what you cook, ie freezer bag cooking, soups and sauces, steamed breads........or whatever.

RodentWhisperer
08-12-2012, 12:20
That depends upon what you plan to cook, how many people you've to prepare it for, and what kind of stove you have. Can you please give us some more info here?

Stir Fry
08-12-2012, 12:56
Cooking for 1. I do some freezer bag cooking. but do some cooking in the pot Mac cheese, Korr sides and such. been using about 11 oz aluminum pot prob. 8 cups. Looking at Ti. two pots I'm looking are !.3L / 5.86 ozor .6L /3.36oz. Looking for some one that has used similar sizs and can say ya your ok with this or that. They not cheep.

Biggie Master
08-12-2012, 13:15
8 quart cast iron dutch oven... Oh, sorry that's for car camping... I use a Heineken can for boiling water... If I can't eat it directly from it's own package or from a ziplock (after adding hot water), I probably don't have it in my pack.

Cadenza
08-12-2012, 13:39
I like the Evernew Ti series.
Each pot nests inside the others.

I find that the 900ml is big enough for most anything I do solo.
The 1.3 if cooking for two.
I have the 1.9 but have never used it yet in several years.

http://www.evernewamerica.com/ti_ns_reg.htm

Maddog
08-12-2012, 14:03
I tried to fine where it had been talked about but all I could find was stove size. What is the best size on the trail.
I use the Snow Peak Titanium Trek 700 Mug. I only boil water for FBC, but it can be used as a pot, bowl, or a mug. Maddog:D

WingedMonkey
08-12-2012, 14:11

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?74623-What-size-pot-for-solo-hiker

Turk6177
08-12-2012, 18:14
I really like the GSI Soloist cook set. It is 1.1 liter. A lot of the freeze dried meals require two cups of water. This pot size leaves room to do more than the two cups if you want to boil water for tea, coffee or some hot cider.

RodentWhisperer
08-12-2012, 18:29
If you want to go exclusively to freezer bags, I'd say the 600 mL pot (I've a Snow Peak single wall mug) is fine-- that's how I operate when going solo. But I do have Snow Peak's 900 mL cookset (including a 900 mL pot with a small skillet for a lid) that I take when going out with a partner, or if I want mac n' cheese. I just bought a Ti lids for both pots from Four Dog, and they work superbly. And no, they aren't cheap.

grayfox
08-12-2012, 18:47
Over the long term of a thru hike, I would say that the best pot to use is the one that maximizes the efficiency of your stove. It gets to be big deal if you carry twice as much fuel for an inefficient pot/stove combo for 2000 miles. But it does depend on how you use it--if you need to melt snow then you need a bigger pot than if you only need to boil a cup of water at a time, and it is hard to fry an egg and bacon in a sierra cup, though you can. I like my tea kettle best but it does not work so well for stir fry. I find that my non-stick lidded .7L ti pot does everything well and is easy to use and not to big to carry in a small pack.