PDA

View Full Version : Bush whacking in the smokies

jorhawle
08-12-2012, 20:08
We are going to be in the smokies over Labor Day weekend and one way we are going to try and beat the crowds is to off trail hike from the AT down to camp site 31 at Porters Creek. Has anyone done that before? Looked like following the ridge from the jump off will lead us right down to the camp site. We have bush whacked before so I'm not concerned about that, just haven't tried this particular route.

Thanks!!

MuddyWaters
08-12-2012, 20:48
No, but if you google "smokies" "hiker" and "rescued" you will find several people that have.

MuddyWaters
08-12-2012, 20:59
Not meaning that particular route mind you, just that its not uncommon for people to discover off trail travel in GSMNP is a bit harder than they had expected.

The backcountry office might be a good place to ask.

rmitchell
08-12-2012, 21:01
I have not done that and can not say I would recommend it. I have heard of some going in the other direction, up.

Have you been to the Jupoff or Charlies Bunion before? Check it out on a topo map. There are some serious dropoffs there.

Going down it would be difficult to arrive at the campsite. On the other hand going up, you would be attempting to intersect a line (the AT) as opposed to a point (the campsite.)

The Cleaner
08-12-2012, 21:03
Going to the Smokies on a holiday weekend and trying to beat the crowds is like looking for peace&quiet at a Phish concert......

Papa D
08-12-2012, 21:21
I would suggest Joyce Kilmer / Citico Creek Wilderness or maybe the BMT in the Smokies vs the AT - - you can almost always find as much solitude as you want. As for off-trail travel, this is a bad time of year to do it for reasons as such as: underbrush, briars, and summer vegetation Poison Ivy, Ticks, Bees, and poisonous snakes to name a few. The best time to try your hand at off trail travel in the South is the very early spring when a little patchy snow is still on the ground but nothing much has grown in yet - - I'd suggest early March for this.

jorhawle
08-12-2012, 22:12
Thanks for the advice...after some googling and reading about a 10 ft. Rattlesnake that someone nearly stepped on while attempting this man way...my buddy and I will attempt this route another time during the spring. Sounds like a great adventure though up the porter creek man way. Can't wait to give it a go when mother nature has fewer obstacles.

bear bag hanger
08-13-2012, 08:10
I'd check with the ranger station before you try. I suspect it's not entirely legal to do so in the Smokies.

moytoy
08-13-2012, 08:53
Thanks for the advice...after some googling and reading about a 10 ft. Rattlesnake that someone nearly stepped on while attempting this man way...my buddy and I will attempt this route another time during the spring. Sounds like a great adventure though up the porter creek man way. Can't wait to give it a go when mother nature has fewer obstacles.

If the snake was 10' it was no rattler. If it was a rattler it wasn't 10 ft. Just sayin. Chances are it was a big rattler and was closer to 5'. To me the bigger obstacle is the undergrowth. If you have a good topo you do much better than none. It's very easy to get turned around in the mountains. You know all this of course but I'm just reminding you:)

HooKooDooKu
08-14-2012, 10:24
I'd check with the ranger station before you try. I suspect it's not entirely legal to do so in the Smokies.

While ceratin areas are specifically "closed" to hikers by the national park, there is no general rule that prohibits "going off trail". However, its still a good idea to check with the ranger station about your specific plans as they might be able to alert you to certain unforseen dangers.

max patch
08-14-2012, 11:34

Surprisingly, the GSMNP which has laundry list of things you can't do in the park, allows bushwhacking or off trail hiking. Still gotta spend the nite at a campsite, tho.