PDA

View Full Version : waterproofing the inside of the fly?

miyanc
08-12-2012, 20:44
I just bought 2 tents from an rei at a garage sale (rei quarter dome ul with ground cloth for 19.83 and black diamond oasis no ground cloth for 29.83) they are both in almost perfect condition, all parts included, nothing ripped or broken... Except they were both poorly waterproofed on the INSIDE of the fly. Thus the reason for being returned( they said the rain fly was sticky). It could have been the same person but I have never seen someone use waterproofing on the inside of the fly. Seam seal yes but these persons either painted it on or sprayed it something good.

so my question is besides nikwax( I just used tech cleaner and it made a dent but I am out) how can I safely remove, and then what should I do to re-seal? I am going to assume that either there was a leak which led them to apply or my removing their mess may create one.

MuddyWaters
08-12-2012, 20:52
are you sure the PU coating wasnt defective? I have heard of them getting sticky.

miyanc
08-12-2012, 21:35
it was falling off in chunks. It smells like nikwax products. Even before I washed it had I could see things that looked like crispy kreme icing falling off.