PDA

View Full Version : Pea Flour

Hikes in Rain
08-12-2012, 20:52
I was reading one of those old camping and woodcraft books I collect, and came across a recommendation for pea flour as a food staple. I'd read about it before, but had forgotten it. It's exactly what it sounds like: dried peas, ground to the consistency of flour. It's use, I read, goes way, way back. Kephart mentioned in Camping and Woodcraft that German soldiers, back in 1870, were issued as an emergency food ration something which looked like a short stick of dynamite. Compressed dry pea soup, "guaranteed" to sustain a man for a day.

Well, heck, I have a grain grinder, and there's split peas in the pantry. A little googling indicated that pea flour is still sold commercially, and is the basis for "instant" split pea soup. A few minutes later, I have a small batch of pea flour. On the coarsest setting, it still came out about the consistency of all purpose flour, except it was light green. Googling also indicated that you take three heaping tablespoons of flour, two teaspoons of chicken broth powder, and two cups of water., bring to a boil and simmer a couple of minutes if you like. I used Better Than Bouillon ham broth, because pea soup needs ham. The mix looked real thin and watery to me, but I stayed with the original recipe, figuring I could always add more flour if needed. Instead, almost as soon as the first bubble came up, it thickened up on its own.

Smells like pea soup, looks like pea soup except that it's a lighter green than the olive color of traditional soup. I thought the flavor wasn't quite as developed, as well, seemed fresher and "greener", if that makes sense. Very, very good, though, especially since it didn't take much more than bringing it to a boil. Those old timers were really on to something here!

For a hiking meal, I think it would need to be bumped up a little, with shelf stable bacon, some summer sausage, or maybe a little can of ham. Dehydrated onions, too, and maybe some dehydrated potatoes and carrots if I can find them. Three tablespoons of flour is only about 1/8 cup of peas, I'd estimate, so you'd need more substance to it. Sure would have been good on a cold, wet, rainy camp I remember!

I used a WhisperMill grinder (a misnomer similar to the Whisperlite stove. Both sound like jet engines!). A blender, food processor or coffee grinder would also work, I'd think. I see this as probably more useful to section hikers than thrus, since thrus would have a harder time getting access to a grinder. There are the coffee grinders in a lot of grocery stores, but your soup would have a pretty strong coffee flavor, I'd think. But it's certainly going to be in my food bag next hike! I also read you can grind beans the same way, to make an instant bean soup. That's going to be my next experiment.

RodentWhisperer
08-12-2012, 21:05
Ah! When I saw the title of your post, I thought you meant chickpea flour, a very good thickener (adds texture, protein and fiber to soups). I'm intrigued by this whole idea of ground green peas, though-- I'll have to give it a try!

dink
08-12-2012, 21:23
How cool to hear about the pea soup made from flour here...my german great-grandparents had blocks of compressed dry green pea flour and would throw a small chunk in most soups they made!!

Rocket Jones
08-13-2012, 06:27
Great idea! Split pea soup is something I have to try every once in a while again to see if my tastes have changed enough to like it. It's odd, because I like peas, but have never liked pea soup.

For dried potatoes, try a box of shredded hash browns if you don't already have dehydrated on hand. Give 'em a bit of a soak first, to start the softening up before adding to the soup.

grayfox
08-13-2012, 09:12
Maybe some wasabi peas for a little kick!

You can also grind brown rice, any grain of legume really, a coarse grind will speed cooking.

When beans get old they are still ok to eat but will not cook and soften like fresh ones, so you can grind them in to flour to use them up.

Hairbear
08-13-2012, 11:22
very good post it gives me all kinds of new ideas for home made vacume seal meals.sounds like a good meal with a pack of spam cut up in it.you are right pea soup needs ham.

Snowleopard
08-13-2012, 11:28
Indian groceries and some ethnic delis have chick pea flour, called Besan by Indians. I guess this would work the same way as your pea flour.
My guess is that running cooked pea soup through a dehydrator and then grinding would taste better. Raw bean flour might cause some intestinal upset; it probably wouldn't take long to cook your pea flour soup enough to avoid this.

Instant pea soup used to be my standard first course backpacking, even on hot days. It was nice to get that fluid into me. Now all the brands I can find have onion which makes me sick. So, I'll try some version of yours.

Hikes in Rain
08-13-2012, 13:08
Kephart noted that the old "dynamite soup" ration gave some distress by the third meal. I think the tiny pieces did cook enough to avoid that, as I suffered no tell tale symptoms. It did thicken a whole lot right after it started boiling, which I suspect was the cooking process. What I like about the idea is that I have "instant" soup, pea or bean, that I know exactly what's in it (i.e., no MSG or preservatives), that I can fix any way I like. And the cost is good! What's a pound of split peas, seventy five cents or so? A pound would make a lot of flour. I ground up about half a cup of peas, and only used a quarter to a third of it. Probably why I got hungry again a little later. Not many peas in that two cups of soup.

Wise Old Owl
08-13-2012, 14:10
17047Hikes in rain - you are right -its undeveloped flavor and back in the day, soups were more for nutrition than flavor. So adding as you say
" For a hiking meal, I think it would need to be bumped up a little, with shelf stable bacon, some summer sausage, or maybe a little can of ham. Dehydrated onions, too, and maybe some dehydrated potatoes and carrots if I can find them. Three tablespoons of flour is only about 1/8 cup of peas, I'd estimate, so you'd need more substance to it"

Flavor is added - with these other ingredients - red & green dried peppers, sugar or carrots for sweet, olive oil, Soy sauce or Worcestershire, barley makes a good thickener, lemon on a micrograte and other sources.

For folks that do not have a grinder its Bobs Red Mill at grocery stores. $3 at under two pounds.

Here is my favorite for quick soups at lunch for my alcohol stove...

http://cn1.kaboodle.com/img/b/0/0/12d/f/AAAAC6BaA_YAAAAAAS36sg/-dr.-mcdougalls-right-foods-vegan-split-pea-soup-light-sodium-1.9-ounce-cups-pack-of-6.jpg?v=1298091427000

Danl
08-13-2012, 16:09
I too am having a flood of ideas. One i will mention, i take beef jerky and grind it to add in ramein noodles. I think it definately would work here.

Farr Away
08-13-2012, 17:40
You can also do "instant" soups from other veggies.

I dehydrate a bag of frozen veggies (corn, peas, or mixed), then grind in the blender. A couple of teaspoons of this veggie powder with a bouillon cube makes a very tasty cup of soup. Not a meal, but a start. You can also add instant potato flakes to thicken it up some.

Flavor additions include dried onion, hamburger gravel, bacon bits, dried mushrooms, sun-dried tomatoes, spices, etc.

-FA

Hairbear
08-13-2012, 19:45
do you think a blender would do the grinding part well

Hikes in Rain
08-13-2012, 20:11
Yes, my research indicates you can get good results from a blender, or a food processor. One of those little impact coffee grinders work pretty well, too, I read. One thing I notices was that the peas seemed to grind faster than, say, the wheat I usually feed my grinder. I'd guess that they're more "brittle", for lack of a better word, and crack more easily. That'd make them work well in a blender. When in doubt, give it a try. Even if all you get is pea gravel, it'll still make good soup.

Hikes in Rain
08-14-2012, 11:17
As promised, here's my report on bean flour. I ground up some navy beans, since that's my personal choice for bean soup. Same basic recipe, two cups water, two teaspoons broth concentrate (ham again), and three big tablespoons of flour. Results were pretty much the same as the peas. Soup thickened up nicely, but was just a little thin for my tastes. Next time, I'll had perhaps half or a quarter-spoon more. Not much. Flavor again not quite as developed as long simmering would do, but pretty darned good for "instant". I did use some real bacon bits, and ground a few turns of pepper. Didn't notice that the bacon pieces were also peppered, so my soup was a little, well, peppery. Overall, this too will be going with me on my next trip.

Ah, the possibilities! Black beans, for black bean soup. Pinto beans, for homemade "instant" refried beans. I might just wear out my grinder!

atraildreamer
08-15-2012, 09:29
For hiking in Canada, add a bottle of wine to your pack to go with the pea soup. (Quebecois will know what I am talking about! :))

Hikes in Rain
08-15-2012, 12:12
Even down here, a wee nip of something almost always has room in my pack!