PDA

View Full Version : WM MegaLite and Caribou

steve hiker
04-29-2005, 11:53
Seeking your opinions and experiences with the WM MegaLite and Caribou, and comparisons of the two. Including roominess for kneebending and tossing and turning.

Roland
04-29-2005, 12:54
Seeking your opinions and experiences with the WM MegaLite and Caribou, and comparisons of the two. Including roominess for kneebending and tossing and turning. Steve Hiker,

The MegaLite and the Caribou are cut to the same dimensions, shown below:

Shoulder Girth: 64"
Hip Girth: 55"
Foot Girth: 39"

Dimensions are for "regular" size (6'-0")

MegaLite is part of WM's ExtremeLite Series and uses .9 oz fabric
Caribou is part of WM's Microlite Series and uses 1.15 oz fabric

MegaLite has 4" of loft for a 30 F rating
Caribou has 3.5" of loft for a 35 F rating

Belew
04-29-2005, 18:17
I have the Caribou. I'm 5'9",160 pounds and it fits me just right.If I were any taller or fater I think I'd be looking for another bag, I don't have any room to spare in it. I've been in it on some 30 F nights and maybe a bit colder. For me the 35 F rating is right on the mark. The 30 F nights were a just a bit to cold. I was happy to see the sun come back around. I should say,that was in a wool hat, thermals and socks. Also, it packs real small. Over all, I'm glad I have it.

Bonehead
04-29-2005, 22:44
Not even a bone head like me would spend $240 on a stupid 35 degree sleeping bag when you can get one at walmart for $27.95

HikerHobo
04-29-2005, 23:53
Sorry, Bonehead, but the $27.95 sleeping bag ya get at Walmart
is going to weight a little bit more then the $240 bag that weights
1 lb. 4oz.

DLFrost
05-02-2005, 08:59
Seeking your opinions and experiences with the WM MegaLite and Caribou, and comparisons of the two. Including roominess for kneebending and tossing and turning.
My brother got a MegaLite and found that the half-length zipper made adjusting for warmer conditions a hassle. Consider the UltraLite instead... weighs just 2 oz. more, has a full-length zipper, and is reliably rated to 20 degrees. This bag gets high praise everywhere (myself included).

I think that bags under 1.5 lbs. are a false economy. It takes about a pound of material just to contain & surround you with insulation of any type. To get down below 2 lbs. with a down bag only happens because you take most of the down out. You get to a point where the darned thing is mostly nylon with some bird fluff thrown in for sport. ;-) For lowering weight beyond a certain point it's more efficient to go with a simple down blanket or somesuch.

Singletrack
05-03-2005, 22:01
My brother got a MegaLite and found that the half-length zipper made adjusting for warmer conditions a hassle. Consider the UltraLite instead... weighs just 2 oz. more, has a full-length zipper, and is reliably rated to 20 degrees. This bag gets high praise everywhere (myself included).

I think that bags under 1.5 lbs. are a false economy. It takes about a pound of material just to contain & surround you with insulation of any type. To get down below 2 lbs. with a down bag only happens because you take most of the down out. You get to a point where the darned thing is mostly nylon with some bird fluff thrown in for sport. ;-) For lowering weight beyond a certain point it's more efficient to go with a simple down blanket or somesuch.
My WM Megalite has a full zipper, and is a hell of alot warmer than my 30 degree TNf that weighs 2 1/2 lbs.