PDA

View Full Version : Blue Ridge Parkway "hike"

Walessp
08-13-2012, 08:32
Would anyone be interested in some linked dayhikes on the Blue Ridge Parkway in western NC? It would be from around MP 418 (near Graveyard Fields) to the end of the BRP at MP 469 (near MST terminus, just beyond Cherokee NC and near the Oconoluftee Visitor Center) some time this month or early to mid-Sept? Elevations run from 5120' at the east end (MST crosses the BRP near here too) down to 2120' at the west end. The views are often excellent and the hiking is relatively easy. I usually do dayhikes and carcamp at night if possible. It might be a good warm up for AT or MST hikes. Email is [email protected]. Phone is 757-817-1472

Outlaw
(walessp) or Scott

Tennessee Viking
08-13-2012, 09:09
Just letting you know...the Park Service isn't a fan of hikers walking the parkway tunnels from Soco Gap to Cherokee anymore. They have asked the FMST to look into a reroute. Right now the FMST is having to advertise a detour along the roads from Cherokee to Balsam Gap.

There is a un-official reroute along secondary roads to Cullowhee and up to the Richland Balsam area under consideration.

Walessp
08-13-2012, 17:03
TV

OK, thanks

Walessp
09-24-2012, 11:00
Tennessee

BTW, do you know of any shuttlers along the west end of the Parkway, between Brevard and Waynesville?

Scott

Tennessee Viking
09-25-2012, 08:26
I know there is 1 or 2 shuttle services for the Art Loeb Trail now. But the name and info escape me. There are a few hikers that help with shuttling.

Check with REI-Asheville, Mast in Waynesville, or Pisgah Inn.