PDA

View Full Version : Log books in the shelters?

HikerMom58
08-13-2012, 10:54
I've always wondered what happens to all the log books in the shelters once they are full. I've heard that the person that placed the log book in the shelter gets to keep it. Is that true?

Lone Wolf
08-13-2012, 10:57
I've always wondered what happens to all the log books in the shelters once they are full. I've heard that the person that placed the log book in the shelter gets to keep it. Is that true?back in the day hikers would leave them with their name/address to send to them when it was full. i sent many back to hikers over the years

Sarcasm the elf
08-13-2012, 11:02
I believe that most logbooks are now left by the local maintaining clubs who collect/replace them periodically.

HikerMom58
08-13-2012, 11:48
I believe that most logbooks are now left by the local maintaining clubs who collect/replace them periodically.

That's what I was thinking as well. We (my daughter and I) left a logbook in the Fullhardt Knob Shelter in 2010. We put our name on it as "owners" of the book. When it was full, we took it and replaced it with another one. It would be nice if the hikers that wrote in the book could get to see the book again, if they wanted too. I like the idea of sending the book back to the hiker that put it in the shelter, but now, like you said, they are placed there by the caretakers or trail angels like myself. Should the books go to the new AT museum in PA? OR maybe they should be displayed somewhere at Trail Days... just a thought.

Our logbook has a sad entry in it... the one that wrote in "ours" passed away of natural causes not long after getting on the trail..He passed away in Cornelius Creek shelter the same day the girl on Max Patch was struck by lightning and died as well. (she wasn't an AT hiker, hiking at the time)
:(

yellowsirocco
08-13-2012, 12:24
Should the books go to the new AT museum in PA? OR maybe they should be displayed somewhere at Trail Days... just a thought.
There would be way too many books to keep track of and most of the entries are insignificant anyway. They are not that sacred. I mean when I write "in for lunch" it doesn't need to be saved or put on displayed.

It might be nice if there was an online collection of the "best of" where people could post pictures of the interesting/significant entries that are sorted by date and location.

fredmugs
08-13-2012, 12:27

Yeah. A couple of years ago I brought a new book to the shelter just south of Erwin at the request of a club member.

HikerMom58
08-13-2012, 13:30
There would be way too many books to keep track of and most of the entries are insignificant anyway. They are not that sacred. I mean when I write "in for lunch" it doesn't need to be saved or put on displayed.

It might be nice if there was an online collection of the "best of" where people could post pictures of the interesting/significant entries that are sorted by date and location.

I agree with you... there are some pretty funny and interesting entries but most are pretty boring. :) Some hikers can draw pretty well, I will say that! :)

Sevsa
08-13-2012, 14:22
As a hiker I often find them interesting to read and as a librarian I definitely think they should be archived. It doesn't really matter how mundane the entries might be because it is an important record of the people who are experiencing the trail. Any AT archive would have a big hole in it without trail registers.

HikerMom58
08-13-2012, 14:59
As a hiker I often find them interesting to read and as a librarian I definitely think they should be archived. It doesn't really matter how mundane the entries might be because it is an important record of the people who are experiencing the trail. Any AT archive would have a big hole in it without trail registers.

That's cool ..... I would never get rid of mine unless I could give it to someone that would make it available to those who would appreicate the chance to look through it. I love reading the logbooks when I'm out hiking. Very entertaining to say the least. It would be nice for someone to come up with a plan for collecting the books. Maybe you would be the right person for the job, Sevsa. :)

Train Wreck
08-13-2012, 15:03
I've packed out a couple of full books and returned them to the orginal owners. One was very appreciative, the other never even acknowledged the gesture with so much as a thank-you, even though I contacted her by phone beforehand to tell her I had the book and verify the return address was still good.

HikerMom58
08-13-2012, 15:28
I've packed out a couple of full books and returned them to the orginal owners. One was very appreciative, the other never even acknowledged the gesture with so much as a thank-you, even though I contacted her by phone beforehand to tell her I had the book and verify the return address was still good.

Wow!! Well, you did your part. That was certainly nice of you to go to the trouble, just like LW did... sweet!!! :)

Train Wreck
08-13-2012, 16:20
Wow!! Well, you did your part. That was certainly nice of you to go to the trouble, just like LW did... sweet!!! :)

I enjoyed the postings and made a copy of the book before sending it on...it's all good :)

WalkinHome
08-13-2012, 16:49
Here in Maine, within the MATC, we have smattering of books with our historical items. Someday, it will be nice to organize them and maybe scan the better entries for posting on Facebook or the MATC website. What we have covers many years with no continuity because of the factors discussed above. Having said that, if anyone has any Maine Registers and would like them to have a good home then please send them along to me (PM me) or to the MATC, c/o Historian, P.O. Box 283, Augusta, ME 04332. Much appreciated.

Papa D
08-13-2012, 18:53
Usually, winter backpacking on the AT, is a good time to carry one or two notebooks and try to pick up any old ones - - if you can figure out who the trail maintaining club is, you can send it back to them - often, their names are in the front - short of that, you could send it to the ATC - - I love shelter registers - - I like seeing who is ahead and when they got there, what springs are dry, what people thought of their day, the weather, etc. - - as historical artifacts though, you're right "in for lunch and damn it's cold" or "Billy and his Dad stayed here last night" doesn't mean much after a few years.