PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Mitchell Trail (water sources?)

ashevillain
08-13-2012, 10:59
Does anyone know the current availability of water along the Mt. Mitchell Trail? (the summit trail from Black Mtn. Campground)

We've had a wet summer thus far...I assume that if there are any water sources then they would be flowing pretty decently...but I'm just not sure on the number/location of any potential sources since I haven't hiked this one yet. I'd prefer not to lug every bit of water that I'm going to drink up the trail if I don't have to.

Thanks if you can help.

Pottsalot
09-20-2012, 00:10
Not sure if you still need help with this situation. There is a gift shop at the top parking lot and a cafe. I know for a fact that there are zero water sources from the summit trailhead to deep gap,but the views fro, Mt Craig, Big Tom peak and Cattail peak make the gallon water lug a no brainer.

Sent from my DROID5 using Tapatalk 2

Grits
09-20-2012, 07:11
He is talking about the 6 mile trail from Black Mt. Campground up 3,600 ft to the summit. Yes there is water where the Mitchell Trail intersects the Bumcombe Horse trail. PS this is part of the Mtns to sea trail and a grueling hike up long arm ridge. enjoy

Grits
09-20-2012, 07:23
Trail report from the Big Butt Trail a great day or overnight hike:cool:

This past Saturday I decided to explore the Big Butt Trail which is seldom visited, remote area off the parkway and started from the southern trail head at the Blue Ridge Parkway. From the parkway; start at the Walker Ridge/Balsam Gap pull off. The elevation here is 5320 feet. The northern end of the trail is on Hwy 197 just south of Burnsville. trail length is 5.8 miles. The Mountains To Sea Trail also passes through here (white circles).

Descend into a pine forest and then starts to ascend and from what I have read during the spring lots of wild flowers but not this time of year. The trail leaves Park Service property and enters Pisgah National Forest.

At .5 mile you enter a dense area of rhododendron, rocky footing and downed trees along the edge of the trail. Soon your walking along Brush Fence Ridge and following the Buncombe/Yancey county lines. Even on weekends you'll find solitude on this remote trail. The trail maintenance is remarkable I am not sure who had done the work but it is awesome, from clearing out the stinging nettles to the steps put in on the south side of Little Butt and other places along the trail.

At 1.6 miles arrive at Point Misery with an elevation of 5715 feet. You have a clear view of Mount Mitchell and the surrounding area. From here the trail steeply descends. There are several switchbacks as you continue to descend into a hardwood forest.

At just over two miles into your hike you'll reach a very steep ascent with lots of steps (this used to be described as an area that required using ropes to pull yourself - kudos to the trail maintainers). At 2.3 miles reach a not too hard to see spur trail on your right or east side of the trail that leads to an open ledge on Little Butt Peak This is where I took the pictures of the Black Mountain Crest. Watch your step, as the drop offs are sudden and steep.

The ridge between Little Butt and Big Butt offer great views looking west towards Barnardsville, Mars Hill and Hot Springs and the Appalachian Trail around Firescald Mountain. I could hear sirens from either EMS or Fire some 3600 ft. below and there were some views towards the east and the Black Mountain Crest. The trail only skirts Big Butt Peak and never reaches the 5920 foot summit but I bushwhacked up to it. Somewhere around three miles you reach the high point of the trail before it starts to descends towards Flat Springs Gap.

At Flat Spring Knob, elevation 5680 feet, somewhere around 4.3 miles I stopped for lunch, a subway sandwich and chips. From Flat Springs Knob looking north you could see Big Bald Mountain along the north side of Yancey County. At this point the trail begins a long steep descent toward NC 197 and the Cane River Gap. The trail losses 1400 feet in elevation in just 1.5 miles and I did not want to walk back up that ridge line so we turned around and went back out to the car. It is a dry ridge and I found a few great camp sites. I think I have the correct peaks noted in the pictures and if you have a sense of humor of course a picture with the sign. ;)
A great day or overnight hike and I am thinking spring flowers or fall colors would be the best time to explore this trail.

Pottsalot
09-20-2012, 18:57
Good info grits. I will try that loop. Im hoping to be back in that area again in the next few weeks.

Here are a few of my pictures from this past weekend.I. heard those sirens Saturday also,weird. It was hard to find dry wood while camping at cattail peak 3.0 miles from trailhead, reminded me of a rainforest.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/21/avate6uj.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/21/ybaga3ed.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/09/21/upunehe6.jpg

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Pottsalot
09-20-2012, 19:08
Ashevillian- I looked through my maps, water is available at setrock creek, mile 2.9, and less than half a mile north of the meadow campsite on Buncombe Horse Ridge Trail.

Grits
09-20-2012, 20:05
Pottsalot: Great picture from Mt Craig looking west towards misery point on left then little Butt and Big Butt. Great camp site you had on cattail peak. What kind of hammocks do you have set up? The top of the Black Mtns do seem to get a lot of rain especially this past Sunday.

Pottsalot
09-20-2012, 20:31
Thanks. I have been trying to figure out which mountains those were across the valley. I have the grey/red ENO single nest with pro slap straps, my roomate has a Kammok Roo, brazilian style hammock... The deep sag and laying diagonal isn't for me :D. The rain came through around midnight saturday,Unfortunately I forgot my hammock rainfly and ended up in the msr tent.

Do you hike alot around the Black Mountain area?

Grits
09-20-2012, 21:04
Pottsalot: I get over there 4 or 5 times a year. I have a Warbonnet Blackbird and will never go back to ground if I have a choice, and a couple of tarps depending on how much coverage I think I will need. Looking forward to trying it winter camping. I also have a ENO double nest but with the regular slapstraps and really dont like them they stretch so much, only good for taking a break on the trail. how do the pro slap straps do over night? The Forest Service map South Toe River, Mount Mitchell & Big Ivy trail map is very accurate and a good addition.

Pottsalot
09-20-2012, 21:31
Ahh,so jealous of the Warbonnet, which suspension did you choose?

I bought these a few years ago. I sleep in my hammock at home also, usually 200 days out of the year. The pro slaps are very convenient, it can also be said that there are other alternatives that would be both less expensive and allow for more flexibility. These are very limited with the number of loops, the distance between loops are often too far. I usually find maximum comfort level, only a few times i had to change trees. These being my first pair, they have have stretched quite a bit. The stitching on the loops are strong though, never had one break on me yet. The weight limit on mine said 400lbs. I would like to try different options in the future.

Gray Blazer
09-20-2012, 21:52
Great Thread. Thanks everyone. I've been wanting to hike in the Blacks and especially up from Black Mountain Campground. How is the tent camping around there? Are there any sites up top?

Grits
09-20-2012, 23:00
Pottsalot: I have the adjustable webbing, it weights a little more but for ease of set up I like it a little better than the line and strap or whoopie slings. Grandfather Mtn is having a family day this coming saturday from 10am to 3pm stop by and help demo hammocks/tents and trail cooking. Lots of other stuff going on as well. http://www.dpr.ncparks.gov/dprcoe/findPub.php
Gray Blazer: some great pictures you have of Big Bald which is about 15 miles north of Mt Mitchell. As for camping At the State Park on Mt Mitchell there are several designated camp sites and as you go out the Black Mtn Crest trail you can camp at cattail peak and deep gap. It is a dry ridge but there is water on the east side of deep gap about a mile down the colbert ridge trail. Going down the mitchell trail there are a few camp sites (I would refer to Tabas Guide on the Mountains to sea trail). On the west range or the Big Butt trail it is also a dry ridge but you could camp at Point Misery, Little Butt, Big Butt and just before and right after Flat Spring Knob.

Gray Blazer
09-21-2012, 07:36
Thanks, Grits.

Pottsalot
09-24-2012, 18:17
Hey Grits, how was the demo day? Sorry I couldn't make it, was playing a show at the double door inn.

Grits
09-24-2012, 21:00
Pottsalot We had a good time, it seemed like everyone wanted to elevate their prespective:sun
Lots had never seen a camping hammock. I had a good time helping people try their hand at throwing a rope for a bear bag and showing them the PCT method vs other methods of hanging bear bags. I had a hard time getting some of the people back out of the blackbird :cool: