PDA

View Full Version : New Backpacker Long Lasting Gear

jj442434
08-13-2012, 16:30
I'm a college student in Southern California, and I'm looking to get into backpacking, with the end goal being a thru-hike of both the AT and the PCT at some point. I figured I'd start off with some smaller trips, like Yosemite or Joshua Tree (near my school) and Superior Hiking Trail or the Ice Age Trail (near my home)

I want to buy gear that I can use not only on these "training" hikes, but also when I eventually do the AT and PCT, so I figure I should get quality stuff from the start. But since I'm new, I don't know exactly what I should be getting. Any comments, or cheaper or lighter alternatives to the following big ticket items woud be very much appreciated.

Shelter:

http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/tarps/WildOasis.html

What's the difference between this tarp, and a homemade tarp made from Home Depot tarp, and separate bug netting? Is this worth the huge increase in price?

Also a random question about trekking poles: Can ski poles be used instead? What's the difference?

Many thanks in advance!

Also I'm pretty sure I'll be fine with a tarp instead of a tent. The psychological aspect of an open shelter doesn't really bother me as long as its functional.

Pack:

http://www.golite.com/Ms-Quest-65L-Pack-P46804.aspx

Too big? Too small? Cheaper alternative?

Sleeping Bag:

(I'm thinking either a Hummingbird or a Swallow)
http://www.featheredfriends.com/Picasso/Bags/Product/20Degree.html

The price is pretty steep for these, but I've read if you're going to splurge on one thing. you should make it a sleeping bag. I want this to last for many trips. That being said, is there a cheaper alternative, possibly without the markup that comes with a well know brand?

Razor
08-13-2012, 18:07
The gear you listed is correctly described as good.The tarp tent is different from a tarp. There are several discussions on this board and others --just look them up. Whatever you decide ,get a lightweigt one --not a homedepot version/ my tarp weight 6 oz and costs more than the one you listed just study the pros and cons. 2) hiking poles are as a general rule adjustable and will work good with a shelter set-up. Ski poles are generally fixed length. Get all your gear together and then decide the size of your pack. I would shoot for a smaller kit--about 50 liters instead of the 65 you mentioned. The FF gear would be a good choice.. Remember if you are serious aout long distance hiking keep your weight and bulk down.

SCRUB HIKER
08-13-2012, 18:47
Like Razor said, ski poles aren't adjustable, and depending on what your tarp set up is going to be, you might want adjustable poles. 65 liters is an alright size but it will probably be too much ... I say that because you're clearly already doing serious research about having light equipment. GoLite's 70L Pinnacle (now the Jam 2) ended up being too big for me on the AT, and that was including a massive old 20F synthetic sleeping bag half the time, and a double-wall tent the whole time. Your combination of tarp and Feathered Friends down bag will literally be a third of the size of my setup ... so yeah, you could go smaller than 65L with your pack.

Look into down quilts if you want to save a little bit of money and weight on something that, from all I've read, can work as well as a high-quality sleeping bag. I've looked at Jacks R Better, GoLite, and Enlightened Equipment. Finally settled on a GoLite 3-season because I couldn't beat their sale price ($200).

Papa D
08-13-2012, 19:12
If you happen to have some ski poles, take them out on your first couple of hikes - yeah, they are not adjustable, but you'll be fine. The point will be to decide if you plan to use poles. Most regular hikers DO use poles but a LOT of really serious long distance hikers STOP using poles.
I like the 6-Moons Design Rig but you have to practice with those things to get them EXACTLY right - there is a very thin line between bone dry and soaking wet - - the learning curve isn't so steep with a more traditional solo tent like a MSR Hubba (of course you can mess anything up).
Razor is right about the 50 liters - you might need 65 or 70 liters for winter backpacking but for most 3-season trips, 50 liters is spot on. I carry an Osprey Atmos 50 which is a touch heavier than the Golite but it is very durable - I cut the water bladder pocket out, and all the extra straps (i.e. chest strap, ice axe loops, etc.) - - you can also go with out the brain (pack top) - - you'll see a lot of hard corps hikers without a brain :)

Hairbear
08-13-2012, 19:25
hi why dont you try posting a wanted ad on the bulleton boards at school ,its possible some have gotten into hiking but it didnt stick.good luck

Hairbear
08-13-2012, 19:31
if you have to buy new stuff i would tell you to do your research first and compare weights,once you get into it more you will be looking to reduce the weight on your back.you sure dont want to buy something and then have a chance later to get the same function at half the weight.in all fairness not all seek the lighter gear some are happy with heavier items.

jj442434
08-13-2012, 20:47
Thanks all! Great information.

After further research for less expensive gear, I've also looked into just a plain tarp shelter: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___20069, and a REI house brand sleeping bag: http://www.rei.com/product/829873/rei-sub-kilo-20-sleeping-bag-special-buy

(a lot of my info is coming from pmags.com, which is a great resource, many thanks to him)

Now, Papa D expressed that I might have trouble setting up a tarp tent. How much harder is just a traditional tarp shelter? Obviously I would practice a lot in my backyard, or around campus somewhere before I actually go out.

And is the 850 fill power +20 degree FF worth the extra $200 when compared with the 750 fill power +20 degree REI bag (1lb 11oz vs 1lb 13oz)?

jj442434
08-13-2012, 21:06
Got another pack for you, tell me what you think. Sorry for going a little overboard with this, but its somewhat overwhelming and I want to do this right the first time so I don't have to correct as much the next time.

This one seems perfect. Internal frame, 50 liters, and lighter and cheaper than the 50L GoLite. Anyone have experience with these?
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___89795

Rasty
08-13-2012, 21:17
Got another pack for you, tell me what you think. Sorry for going a little overboard with this, but its somewhat overwhelming and I want to do this right the first time so I don't have to correct as much the next time.

This one seems perfect. Internal frame, 50 liters, and lighter and cheaper than the 50L GoLite. Anyone have experience with these?
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___89795

I bought almost the same Jansport for my daughter it's OK not great. Check out ULA packs, Granite Gear or Osprey.

leaftye
08-13-2012, 21:53
I suggest avoiding tarps with grommets. They tend to rip out when you need them the most.

Scrub Hiker mentioned EnLIGHTened Equipment. Their Revelation X quilt has the same rating, costs about the same, but is 30% lighter and takes much less room in your pack. The footbox can open up to make the quilt into a comforter, which allows it to be more comfortable in warmer weather. The downside is that you'll have to wait a few weeks for it to be made. If you want to splurge, you can spend $70 more and get the Revelation that's made with lighter fabrics that'll save you a couple ounces and adds a water repellent shell.

Papa D
08-13-2012, 22:13
Thanks all! Great information.

After further research for less expensive gear, I've also looked into just a plain tarp shelter: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___20069, and a REI house brand sleeping bag: http://www.rei.com/product/829873/rei-sub-kilo-20-sleeping-bag-special-buy

(a lot of my info is coming from pmags.com, which is a great resource, many thanks to him)

Now, Papa D expressed that I might have trouble setting up a tarp tent. How much harder is just a traditional tarp shelter? Obviously I would practice a lot in my backyard, or around campus somewhere before I actually go out.

And is the 850 fill power +20 degree FF worth the extra $200 when compared with the 750 fill power +20 degree REI bag (1lb 11oz vs 1lb 13oz)?

The hard thing is not the actual pitch per se and that's why backyard pitches can only get you so far. Far and away the most important thing in any tenting situation is site selection. There are little things you just pick up on with experience. I have a 6 moons lunar solo and I love it but you have to take the time to adjust it just right or you can end up in a bathtub of water. Unless you pitch in in an obvious mud-mudpuddle or totally fowl up the groundsheet by letting it protrude out from under the tent and act as a water catcher, it's much harder to mess up a tent like a Hubba. I successfully camp in the 6-Moons in the rain in a down bag, but you have to have your moves down - the material is sort of thin and takes some care in tensioning and staking out with the right tightness - - that said, it is lighter and I think that it is easier in a lot of ways to pitch in the rain because the floor isn't lying out there while you are trying to put the fly on top.

There is something to be said for beginning backpacking with slightly more standard type gear and then delving into the more esoteric stuff if for no other reason that you learn to appreciate it so much more.

jj442434
08-14-2012, 08:32
Papa D-

in your travels have you found pitching a tarp and selecting a good site can be learned by reading up at home, or does it come with experience out on the trail?

leaftye
08-14-2012, 13:13
You can learn it at home, but you get faster at recognizing good sites with experience. Fortunately you live in southern California where the weather is quite forgiving most of the year. Even though you might not expect rain, you should still look for sites that would keep you dry if it was raining. Inexperienced backpackers often pick spots that held puddles because of it's flat with soft soil. If you can, do a day hike in the rain so you can see what gets covered in water.