PDA

View Full Version : Need section advice

HillClimber
08-13-2012, 17:16
I need some advice on a couple of sections. Can someone tell me how long it takes to get through the smokey mountain section from point to point. Also does anyone know how long it takes starting at Dicks creek gap to the N.O.C.

mtaylor
08-13-2012, 17:43
I did the smokey mountain section last Oct. and it took us 6 days. Avg. of 12 miles a day. We had snow for a day in a half with temps in the upper 20's at night so if you go in Oct. be prepared. I am not sure about Dicks Creek gap to NOC, did that section two years ago but we started from Deep Gap to Fontana Dam.

Papa D
08-13-2012, 18:34
Hey Hill climber - this purely depends on how fast you want to go, your experience, and your physical conditioning. It's exactly like asking how much a car costs. Here is a really rough range:

Dicks Creek Gap to NOC - - 67 miles - - GSMNP 73 miles and a little easier terrain so, I'll just figure the same rough days for both:

1) average beginner backpacker - "a little out of condition" 7- 8 days of waking up at 7am, hiking by 8am finishing at 4 pm (about 9mpd) (might take them even longer, they might give up - who knows, backpacking is hard)

2) moderately experienced , semi lightweight backpacker - moderate conditioning 5 - 5.5 days (about 12mpd) - waking up at about 6am and finishing at 4pm (I'm guessing this might be your pace)

3) experienced backpacker on a mission - good physical shape (i.e. trail legs) 3- 4 days (about 20 mpd) - - this would be my pace or someone like 10K

some people could do this in 2 days really pushing very hard (fyi, I've done the park in under 3 days (but it's waking at 4am and moving right along till about dark)

I live in Athens and hike those areas a lot - let me know if you need a shuttle or someone to run with for a day or so - you can send me a P/M

MuddyWaters
08-13-2012, 22:31
Due to the requirement to stay in shelters in the smokies, you dont have that many choices. You have to plan the hike, and hike the plan.

You have the options of short ~6-8 mile days, ~12-14 mile days, or ~18-20 mile days. Of course you can mix it up.

Most will choose the ~12-14 mile days, and it will take them 5-6 days.

Trubrit
08-14-2012, 01:32
I am not ragging on or being detrimental. Your question is very valid but It would concern me that you do not know you abilities, pace, or experience over unknown terrain. I sincerely wish you the best but you may want to know yourself before you ask others to tell you what you can do.

HillClimber
08-14-2012, 07:36
You are correct, I should have stated that that my abilities and experience are pretty high. It's nice to know that there are kind people out there like Papa D, Muddywaters and Mtaylor who don't judge others and offer their advice. Then there's douchebags out there like you that just want to criticize people at the first chance. It must be very lonely for you knowing this is how you react to people. You must have a lot of friends, in the future maybe you should not make assumptions.Wish you all the best.

HillClimber
08-14-2012, 07:40
Papa D,

Thanks for the great Data, this helps a lot. I have a firend who is fling in at the end of September and had never experienced the A.T. We are both experienced and in the best shape of our lives. I see the logistics to section hiking are gong to be quite challenging. Definitely interested in shuttle options....

HillClimber
08-14-2012, 07:41
Thanks Muddy Waters, I will definitely take another route seeing I only have 4 days to spare.

Dad
08-14-2012, 08:14
Hillclimber,

Here's what I did awhile back while section hiking - doing this from memory so I hope it's right. This is just an example for you to look at - YMMV.

Dick's Creek Gap start at 11:30 a.m. - got to Muskrat Creek shelter
then: Carter Gap Shelter, Wallace Gap, Wayah Bald, NOC.

Smokies: Fontana Dam to Russell Field Shelter, then: Double Springs Gap Shelter, Ice Water Springs Shelter,
Tri-Corner Knob Shelter, Standing Bear Farm - north of the Smokies

I might have enjoyed the Smokies a little more if I had one more day in there somewhere, but it was still a great time. Getting to the NOC was a long hike that day, but mostly because of the steep downhill at the end. Hope this helps. Dad