PDA

View Full Version : Denali Jacket

Tonce
04-29-2005, 16:55
Anyone who has one or has had one, R they worth it? I would like a fleece with the pit zips and pockets inside and out, any other suggestions on any other brands. thanks in advance

The Solemates
04-29-2005, 18:15
Anyone who has one or has had one, R they worth it? I would like a fleece with the pit zips and pockets inside and out, any other suggestions on any other brands. thanks in advance

North Face is nothing special and way too expensive. Get a $10 fleece at a thrift shop and it will work just as well.

bailcor
04-29-2005, 19:18
I had fleece as my primary layer and have moved on because I find the alternatives to be lighter, take up less room in your pack, and are much more flexible. I find that a base layer of fleece weighing about 5 oz's and a 4 oz wind shirt can take you down into the low teens. My primary layer is a Montbell Thermawrap weighing 8 oz's. I have been down to 9 below zero combining the three and feeling quite comfortable. In other word's a system weighing slightly above a pound can do the job that 2lbs + use to do. If the wind blows real hard try putting on a 6.5 oz Specter Shell.

A-Train
04-29-2005, 19:39
Tough call. I've owned one for 5 1/2 years and it's probably the best made piece of clothing I have. It survived Springer to Pearisburg as well as being worn every day of winter in Vermont for the last 3 yrs. When I bought the jacket it was 99 bucks at Campmor, but now it's up to 165 bucks which is steep.

Usually I'm the type to say the North Face has gone down in quality, and I usually buy my hiking gear in generic brands for under 10 bucks. But, I do believe in this product. It's ridiculously durable, comfortable and well-made. Not to mention warm, and it zips into their mountain light and guide jackets. I wouldn;t buy it solely for backpacking-you could find a lot cheaper, lighter option, but if you want something to wear every day, you can't beat it

Oh, and Campmor does have a product almost identical to the Denali, for around 40-50 bucks.

Tonce
05-01-2005, 09:14
thanks guys for the replys, I am currently watching like 5 of em on ebay, REI has the indian clay jacket on sale for 129. I will go right now and check out campmor's version. I just think the jackets like A-Train said are very durable and I think they are very comfortable

erichlf
05-04-2005, 13:01
I have one, but I am not sure if I would say it is worth the money. It is however a really nice fleece, but quite expensive. If I had to buy one at full price I wouldn't.

RagingHampster
05-04-2005, 22:22
I love mine, but any Polartec 300 Fleece w/pitzips will do.

Problem is, not many people make 300, they use 200 which is lighter/less bulky, and obviously less warm.

Mine is showing age though, especially the cuffs. Some places sell last seasons colors for just under $100. I've had mine about 3-4yrs now, and plan on getting another this fall.

Along with short-sleeved shirts and a g-tex pac-lite shell, this is my layering system for all but the most killer winter weather.

My hat and mittens are also polartec 300 fleece.

smokymtnsteve
05-04-2005, 23:56
I've been cutting firewood and peeling logs in sight of Denali and the North face of it at that, but I don't know beans about that jacket, but come on up and check out Denali with me.

MedicineMan
05-05-2005, 01:44
fleece WAS good in its day, but why carry something when many alternatives are out there that are lighter/warmer/LESS bulk?
example:
http://www.argear.com/gear/grmontbellulthermawrapjacket.html
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/product.asp?base_no=42983&mscssid=CE1B7AA5847F4E3097F2F81DD8AA026C
http://www.cabelas.com/information/BargainCave/CabelasLightweightPrimaloftJacket0021891.html

and the best value:
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=653261&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=675399&bmUID=1115271781592

the m.e.c. version is probably around $78 american

Ramble~On
05-05-2005, 03:00
I have to agree with Medicineman on this one.

I have a Denali, I love it. It's warm and comfortable.
It is old and I don't remember what I paid for it.

If I were in the market for something like it I'd look into something lighter and smaller......
Price... I like to get what I pay for. The Denali was money well spent in my opinion. It's heavy and there are newer, lighter, smaller and less expensive alternatives that may be better.

plodder
05-05-2005, 03:56
That MEC unit is sweet. Too bad it doesn't come in tall sizes. I'm all arms and feet.

MedicineMan
05-05-2005, 05:07
i've given several of the mec jac's and vests as gifts, keep one of their vest in several of the kayaks...for the monies you cant beat them,,,,they used to be even cheaper but the $ aint doing like it was....they're not fashionable but who among us would care compared to the price/functionality