PDA

View Full Version : When should I go?

wren
04-29-2005, 18:12
Question for those who have thruhiked:

I am in the process of planning a thru in the near future. The problem is that i will only have a short amount of time to do it in. (~100 days or so) So my question is if you only had that amount of time to work with, what months would you choose to hike in? At the moment I'm leaning toward doing a NOBO and finishing in the fall, but im open to other options/pros & cons/perspectives from those who have thruhiked.

(The popular opinion on this board regarding a thruhike seems to be to take your time and make an entire summer out of it and of course, hyoh.. I completely agree with the rationale behind taking your time, enjoying towns, and living the trail to the fullest. Just mentioning this in the hope that this thread doesn't deteriorate into a 'why rush it' thread...)

thanks for any input..

chris
04-29-2005, 18:26
A 100 day hike is certainly doable. I would start in the late spring or early summer to try to maximize day light and minimize bad weather. However, if you start too late, the heat and humidity can be debilitating. So, if I had 100 days, I would probably start on May 1, or perhaps April 15.

BookBurner
04-29-2005, 18:27
If you hope to finish in 100 days, I would start the last week of May and finish the first week of September. With the warm temperatures and extended sunlight of summer, you can hike light and long!

- BookBurner

www.enlightenedthruhiker.com

wren
04-29-2005, 18:36
A 100 day hike is certainly doable. I would start in the late spring or early summer to try to maximize day light and minimize bad weather. However, if you start too late, the heat and humidity can be debilitating. So, if I had 100 days, I would probably start on May 1, or perhaps April 15.

Thanks for the suggestion Chris. Seems like another perk of starting in may might be that the main group of hikers has already shoved off, and that by the time i catch up with them, (assuming everything goes well) many will have already dropped off, possibly minimizing the feeling of 'hiking a crowded trail'.. I know the AT is a social experience, and that its part of what makes the AT the AT, but it would also be nice to have some solo time as well. (It was one of the things I loved about the PCT..)

neo
04-29-2005, 19:13
you can do it in a 100 days,if you hike 21.74 miles every day,and no 0 days:cool: neo

wren
04-29-2005, 19:34
you can do it in a 100 days,if you hike 21.74 miles every day,and no 0 days:cool: neo

It certainly won't be easy. Its a good thing I really like walking. :)

A-Train
04-29-2005, 19:53
You'll be fine if you are motivated enough and know what you're getting yourself into. I would definately do a week or two practice at that pace to see if you can handle it. No need to pump out huge days at the start, you can easily go with 12-15 and slowly work up, as long as your doing in the mid-20's eventually. My main advice would be to stay consistent, shy away from extended town stays, and also avoid really high mile days, like 30+. They may seem desireable as a challenge, but too many will have you wanting to take a rest. Find a good pace for each day and try to stay at that.

Lastly, if crowds is something your thinking about, why not go SOBO? I think if anything, a 100 day hike is more doable SOBO than NOBO. Less temptation to fall into a group or clique, and less likely chance to meet cool people to make friends with (no offense SOBO's :) . Also, Maine will whip you into shape and if you can put up any type of miles in maine and NH, you can absolute fly and make up time from Vermont to Georgia (not to make it sound TOO easy). If you started in mid-late july or august 1st, you'd practically avoid all hot weather and still have fairly long days without cold conditions. You'd get to finish the south in cool, nice weather without many people. Your only real crowd would be the whites and NOBO's in august, which would be a few weeks at most.
Starting in May will not avoid the crowds at your pace, eventually you'll be moving thru all the NOBO's. Yes a lot of people drop out, but you'd be suprised how many people are actually out on the trail and kicking.

Good luck and let us know how it all goes

wren
04-29-2005, 20:17
Good suggestions ATrain. A SOBO may just be the way to go. I can see how it would be more difficult to stick to an itinerary when youre moving in the same direction as everyone else. Catching the smokies in the fall sounds pretty good to me.

chris
04-29-2005, 20:25
Thanks for the suggestion Chris. Seems like another perk of starting in may might be that the main group of hikers has already shoved off, and that by the time i catch up with them, (assuming everything goes well) many will have already dropped off, possibly minimizing the feeling of 'hiking a crowded trail'.. I know the AT is a social experience, and that its part of what makes the AT the AT, but it would also be nice to have some solo time as well. (It was one of the things I loved about the PCT..)

If you've already hiked the PCT, you might want to take a look at my PCT journal from 2003 vs. my AT journal in 2004. Both can be seen at:

http://www.pierce.ctc.edu/faculty/cwillett

Starting in mid-late May will certainly help you avoid some of the problems that I had in making the transition.

wren
04-29-2005, 20:29
If you've already hiked the PCT, you might want to take a look at my PCT journal from 2003 vs. my AT journal in 2004. Both can be seen at:

http://www.pierce.ctc.edu/faculty/cwillett

Starting in mid-late May will certainly help you avoid some of the problems that I had in making the transition.

Thanks, I'll check it out. Ive only just glanced at it, but it looks like you put together a pretty cool site. Nice pics.

Frosty
04-29-2005, 21:46
If you hope to finish in 100 days, I would start the last week of May and finish the first week of September. With the warm temperatures and extended sunlight of summer, you can hike light and long!

- BookBurner

www.enlightenedthruhiker.comto maximize available daylight, wouldn't you want to start first week in May? Then your hike will have the longest day of the year at the midpoint. If you start at the end of May, average daylight will be a lot less because you are hiking almost to the autumn equinox.

Peaks
04-30-2005, 08:57
Maintaining a 20 mile per day pace is going to be a challenge. However, if you have previously done the PCT, then you should have a good idea what your average pace is.

Conventional wisdom for thru-hikers doing the PCT is to take their AT average mileage and add 5 miles per day for doing the PCT. Conversely, if you have done the PCT, then subtract 5 miles per day to estimate you pace along the AT.

Nean
04-30-2005, 09:09
I vote Sobo- Great way to do the trail fast or slow. A-Train covered the whys...Good Luck :)

chris
05-01-2005, 22:06
Maintaining a 20 mile per day pace is going to be a challenge. However, if you have previously done the PCT, then you should have a good idea what your average pace is.

Conventional wisdom for thru-hikers doing the PCT is to take their AT average mileage and add 5 miles per day for doing the PCT. Conversely, if you have done the PCT, then subtract 5 miles per day to estimate you pace along the AT.

I averaged about the same on my 2003 PCT hike as I did on my AT section hike in 2004. In fact, over the first 48 days on the PCT, I averaged less than on the first 48 days on the AT.

Heater
05-02-2005, 03:28
I averaged about the same on my 2003 PCT hike as I did on my AT section hike in 2004. In fact, over the first 48 days on the PCT, I averaged less than on the first 48 days on the AT.
Those first 48 days musta been a real tough stretch. All desert, right?
That is the only thing that worries me about the PCT. The desert. I would LOVE to do that hike but it just makes me nervous. :eek: I am not too proud to admit it. the desert scares me. Maybe I have just seen too many western movies. :rolleyes:

Maybe I could start in the early spring/ late winter and avoid all the heat! :)

I could start the PCT on Jan 3rd then lay over for a couple of months before goin into the mountains. I got the time. Whaddaya think? :-?

wren
05-02-2005, 13:00
Those first 48 days musta been a real tough stretch. All desert, right?
That is the only thing that worries me about the PCT. The desert. I would LOVE to do that hike but it just makes me nervous. :eek: I am not too proud to admit it. the desert scares me. Maybe I have just seen too many western movies. :rolleyes:

Maybe I could start in the early spring/ late winter and avoid all the heat! :)

I could start the PCT on Jan 3rd then lay over for a couple of months before goin into the mountains. I got the time. Whaddaya think? :-?

The first 700 miles or so is mostly desert, but there are plenty of times when the trail hangs out in higher elevations where you would be wading in snow that early in the season. (San Jacintos, San Bernardinos, Baden Powell, etc..)

Better to just leave late april/early may, and go for it. Just keep a close eye on your maps..

Nean
05-02-2005, 13:46
The "desert" on the PCT reminds me of the "rocks" in Pa. Mostly hype IMHO. Most folks cross "the desert" in a day or two. Easy walking, water not a problem. Children have done it. I'd start early- take a long lunch, maybe a nap during the heat of the day, and walk late. I've night hiked that stretch under a full moon as well- much fun, no worries! An umbrella is nice for walkin in the shade! I would not recomend starting in the winter.

chris
05-02-2005, 16:01
Children have not done it. Children have walked the miles, but not done a hike on their own. I doubt an 8 year old kid could make it across Kelso Valley. Last year a kid hiked, with her parents. This should give you some indication of the general trail conditions. That is, if the PCT were on an elevated treadmill, it would be easy walking. A 12 year old, on their own, might make it to Morena, but not much further.

I don't think SoCal is so hard if you take the right approach to it. There are only a few low desert crossing, with a lot of (hot) mountains in between. All these mountains add up to a lot of snow in the winter time. Hikers now are still worried about the snow in the San Jacinto range, which is only about 160 trail miles north of Mexico.

I found SoCal to be one of my absolute favorite areas. Very, very pretty, delightful flowers, and a quietness that you can only find in desolate places. Don't fear it. Enjoy it.

Nean
05-02-2005, 20:39
Pets too, but alas- they had owners... I think. I could have made it to Mt. Laguna when I was eleven- then again, I was a "special" child :) Thank you for the correction Chris!