PDA

View Full Version : Where is the pack? Want to section in CT.

jamieszew723
08-14-2012, 11:18
Hey there ATers,

I just returned from a short trip on the PCT, just 400 miles. I did 1000 miles last year. I am missing the trail so I want to do the section in CT in 2 days. Where is the pack and am I likely to be alone in the shelters at night??

moocow
08-14-2012, 11:49
I have a group of friends that are in a large pack in New York right now. I don't know if that helps.

Papa D
08-14-2012, 19:52
I would suggest that the back end of the bulge is now in NY/CT and the front end is already nearing the NH. I was in NH 4 weeks ago and hiked with several thru-hikers that were "toward the front" but certainly not the earliest. I'd say that if you waited about 3 weeks to go, most would be cleared out but frankly, the shelters don't get that crowded by NOBOS by the time they get to NY /CT because they are pretty well either dropped-out or spaced-out. You are also spending only one night out on the trail if you are doing a 2 day hike and there is plentiful tenting in CT - go have fun. I would recommend accessing the North End of your hike (coming or going) via the Race Brook Falls Trail which is about 5 miles north of the CT/MA line (formed by Sages Ravine).

Driver8
08-15-2012, 06:18
I would recommend accessing the North End of your hike (coming or going) via the Race Brook Falls Trail which is about 5 miles north of the CT/MA line (formed by Sages Ravine).

Agreed, and either way - going up or down - hug along the brook below the main trail's crossing below the big upper falls in order to take in five very nice waterfalls in the space of 0.3 miles. Race Brook Falls is one of the prettiest short trails you'll ever see.