PDA

View Full Version : North East Tennessee

Abnrml1
08-14-2012, 16:40
Brand new to the board and to backpacking and I'm looking for some advice. I'm in my early 50s and just getting back into this. I have a brother that lives in Elizabethton, Tn and I would like to visit him next spring. What would be a decent 7-10 day dog friendly trek that I could either start in Elizabethton or Watauga Lake and loop around to get back where I started or if I can get my brother to drop me off on Roan Mountain and end at Watauga. This trip would be taking place towards the end of May. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

wornoutboots
08-14-2012, 16:48
Damascus to Erwin is a great trip & its easy to grab a shuttle, Starting in Damascus the trail will be much less forgiving the 1st part of your journey. It is a Great Section!

Just a Hiker
08-14-2012, 17:04
Since your brother lives here in Elizabethton, he can drop you off at any number of AT road crossings in this area.......it depends how long you want to be on the trail and which direction you want to travel. If you don't have one already, get yourself an AT Guide Book and pick out a nice 7 to 10 section in this area. Have a good hike.

RED-DOG
08-14-2012, 17:08
If you go to DAMASCUS do not stay at " THE PLACE" they will talk bad about and belittle you into the ground. People are better off staying in their tent in the Woods.

BabySue
08-14-2012, 17:11
Www.atdist.com will help you with distances & road crossings. Erwin to Damascus, mentioned above, is about 125 miles & crosses paved roads about 6 times (for resupply & just in case). For a shorter jaunt try Sam's gap to Watauga dam (112) or Sam's gap to Hampton (108) or Erwin to Dennis cove (75) etc. FYI, every road given on Atdist.com between sam's gap & Damascus is paved & easy to find. Erwin & the Nolichuckey river are not listed as a road, but they also are at a paved road.

If you attempt at loop instead of getting dropped off & picked up, things get more complicated right away. Thus I suggest sticking with the AT. Note that the climb up roan mt. From the "south" is quite demanding, so don't plan on big miles if you do that part. The climb up hump from the north is difficult as well, but not as bad. The climb up to pond flats northbound after Dennis cove is annoyingly hard. It's not a hard as the others I've mentioned, but it's not very rewarding either, so you're mostly thinking about the climb rather than the views. I mention these climbs, in part, because of your dog. Depending on the dog, s/he may out hike you easily, or on the other hand may need to be held back for her/his own good.

Enjoy! & feel free to ask more questions.

BabySue
08-14-2012, 17:14
And FYI, The Place in Damascus is fine. Just pay the $6 on the honor system & follow the simple rules (such as no alcohol), & you'll have no problem at all.

The Cleaner
08-14-2012, 17:17
If you go to DAMASCUS do not stay at " THE PLACE" they will talk bad about and belittle you into the ground. People are better off staying in their tent in the Woods. If you just follow the few posted rules you shouldn't have any problems unless a group of morons shows up.Seems like lately a lot of hikers make their own rules....

RED-DOG
08-14-2012, 17:26
Cleaner and Babysue you guys are the Morons. When the caretaker comes on here and WHINES about losing a few dollars on his donation and that makes him an idiot. For your info i found the "family from the south" and been with them for the last couple days.

The Cleaner
08-14-2012, 17:57
Cleaner and Babysue you guys are the Morons. When the caretaker comes on here and WHINES about losing a few dollars on his donation and that makes him an idiot. For your info i found the "family from the south" and been with them for the last couple days. I would say that this family has left a path of litter&lost gear and pi$$ed off untold numbers of other hikers back to wherever they got on the trail.After reading her TJ posts I wonder about her IQ and anyone who would want to camp with them.BTW what have you done on your trail travels besides help support someone who seems to be all wrapped up in her own world.Everyone who hikes the AT at some point needs to do a little giving back such as clean-up a shelter or pack out litter.I don't know how you learned about the AT,but you sure aren't making many friends here.People all wrapped-up in themselves make a very small package.....

RED-DOG
08-14-2012, 18:05
I learned about the AT cause my father was a member of the GATC and i would go with him when i was like 5 that was many many years ago. and i am not trying to make friends. here.

doritotex
08-14-2012, 18:05
If you go to DAMASCUS do not stay at " THE PLACE" they will talk bad about and belittle you into the ground. People are better off staying in their tent in the Woods.You are an idiot...sorry, but ****! Be considerate and you will have no problems in Damascus. How often are you on the trail...Tybee-Island??

Rasty
08-14-2012, 18:12
If you go to DAMASCUS do not stay at " THE PLACE" they will talk bad about and belittle you into the ground. People are better off staying in their tent in the Woods.You are an idiot...sorry, but ****! Be considerate and you will have no problems in Damascus. How often are you on the trail...Tybee-Island??

I can't wait to stay at the place next month. I chip in a little extra. $6 is cheap.

The Cleaner
08-14-2012, 18:16
I learned about the AT cause my father was a member of the GATC and i would go with him when i was like 5 that was many many years ago. and i am not trying to make friends. here. you're acting like a 5yo now.Then if you're not here to make friends,maybe you could start your own hiker hater website....

vamelungeon
08-14-2012, 18:49
Next time I'm in Damascus I need to make sure to drop by The Place and make a donation. It's too close to home for me to need to stay there, but they will get my support.

Mags
08-14-2012, 18:53
Guys, really, keep the bickering to PMs. If you can't play nice, use the IGNORE future.

Further poo fliniging posts will mysteriously vanish.

:)

Lugnut
08-14-2012, 19:28
?.... i am not trying to make friends. here.

Well, so far you are succeeding! :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
08-14-2012, 19:34
If you go to DAMASCUS do not stay at "THE PLACE" People are better off staying in their tent in the Woods.
correct. folks like you and your ilk should do just that if you can't afford the measly $6 per nite per person. follow the simple rules there and it's a great stay

Lone Wolf
08-14-2012, 19:36
Cleaner and Babysue you guys are the Morons. When the caretaker comes on here and WHINES about losing a few dollars on his donation and that makes him an idiot. For your info i found the "family from the south" and been with them for the last couple days.
the caretaker didn't meet them. you need not call folks names

rocketsocks
08-14-2012, 19:44
I can't wait to stay at the place next month. I chip in a little extra. $6 is cheap.I agree 6 dollars is like a coffee at 4 bucks, and a 2 dollar scone.

Marta
08-14-2012, 19:48
Back to the topic at hand...with a brother in Elizabethton you probably won't need to stay in any hostels. If you are thinking about it, check The Companion or similar for info on whether dogs are welcome there.

Rasty
08-14-2012, 19:57
Brand new to the board and to backpacking and I'm looking for some advice. I'm in my early 50s and just getting back into this. I have a brother that lives in Elizabethton, Tn and I would like to visit him next spring. What would be a decent 7-10 day dog friendly trek that I could either start in Elizabethton or Watauga Lake and loop around to get back where I started or if I can get my brother to drop me off on Roan Mountain and end at Watauga. This trip would be taking place towards the end of May. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to WhiteBlaze. Sorry you had to see that garbage on your first day! :)

sarge95
08-14-2012, 20:27
The trail northbound from Hughes Gap to Ash Gap only needs 2 short relows to be 10-12 percent grade and 1 of those should be completed next Tuesday. By late May of next year Ash Gap to the top of the Roan should by at least 75% completed if not completed at 10-12 percent grade. One day of Hard Core will work Ash Gap to Roan next May in addition to all other groups that Volunteer. Weather permitting the Trail crew will get in some time between now and next May.

Abnrml1
08-14-2012, 20:59
I want to plan on spending at least a week on the trail. What direction do you all recommend for a beginner? N to S or S to N? I have no problem having my brother drop me off on Roan.

As far the dog goes, yes, I am sure that she will out hike me. I pick her up in a couple of weeks and when we head to TN she will be about 10 months old. She is a Catahoula Leopard Cur and this is the main reason that I want to get her. I need a companion on the trail. My kids can't go because their life force comes directly from an electronic device. If they are away from their computers for more than a few hours they go into withdrawls and start to fade away. It is not a pretty sight around here when the power goes out.

Thanks for all of the responses. I'm not too concerned about staying any where but out side. I'm doing this to get away from most people but I'm sure that I will meet some people worth knowing.

Lone Wolf
08-14-2012, 21:01
go southbound from damascus

sarge95
08-14-2012, 21:10
I would recommend Erwin to Watauga Dam Rd approx 84 miles.

Train Wreck
08-15-2012, 00:26

So what was your overall impression of them? In an earlier post you had said you would report what you observed if you encountered them. Are they doing better overall after their rough start?

Train Wreck
08-15-2012, 02:14
If your section hike doesn't already include Laurel Fork Gorge and the waterfall, be sure to take the time to go visit as a day hike while you're visiting your brother. It's close to Elizabethton, and it's easy to access.

Tennessee Viking
08-15-2012, 08:49
Usually Roan to Watauga only takes 3-4 days depending your speed. If you want to see as much of the area as you can. I suggest getting dropped off at Sams Gap or Erwin and walk and get picked up at Dennis Cove or Hampton blue-blaze. But you can always bail out early if you need to, and still be close to Elizabethton.

Northbound is a bit easier now with the new relos.

Gray Blazer
08-15-2012, 11:24
you need not call folks names

Not on this website anyway.

OP, from Elizabethton you can practically walk to the AT. You have pretty easy access anywhere from Hot Springs to Grayson Highlands
and it's all fantastic. Enjoy.

JohnWayne
08-15-2012, 14:46
If you go to DAMASCUS do not stay at " THE PLACE" they will talk bad about and belittle you into the ground. People are better off staying in their tent in the Woods.

Yep, this coming from a man who doesn't believe in leaving these hostels anything. Really glad to know that you won't be using The Place since you don't believe in giving nothing in return. Your words means nothing to me. You've made it pretty clear what kind of honor you have.

wornoutboots
08-15-2012, 23:34
Yes Welcome abnormal1:welcome & how Ironic, your thread would get muddied up with the current abnormal drama on WB. Make sure before you hit the trail to put all hostels & shuttle services into your phone or somewhere so that if you do need to bail, you'll have folks that can come get you. Have a Great Hike! I still say damascus to erwin it the easiest way to go, if you do plan on staying in Damascus the night before your hike, like many hikers do, "The Place" do NOT allow dogs. Have a Great Hike!!

HikerMom58
08-16-2012, 05:29
I also extend a warm welcome to WB. Roan Mtn. is one of the my favorites in that area. You can learn a lot on this site about backpacking and have a number of different questions answered here.

As far as the drama goes, it's just bad timing. :( Just so you don't have to read 18+ pages. This is what is going on in a nutshell. There's a mother hiking with 5 children. THey are hiking Northbound on the trail. It seems like they are out there "winging it". We are most concerned about the children and their safety. We care about the mom as well. Whenever people interact there are so many opinions, on any given subject, and this one is no different. That's it.

Hope you enjoy getting ready for your hike and enjoy it to the fullest. :)

TOW
08-16-2012, 10:41

I learned about the AT cause my father was a member of the GATC and i would go with him when i was like 5 that was many many years ago. and i am not trying to make friends. here.
I do not believe a word you are saying about meeting them and it is time for you to look into yourself and know that you do not really believe anything that you are posting. I know you are hurting, I can see it in every post that you have posted. Truthfully if you want to discuss this further then PM me...

Abnrml1
08-18-2012, 13:04
Since this is going to be my first long hike I think I am going to take Sarge's suggestion and do Erwin to Watauga. I still want to be out for at least a week so I can take a nice easy pace on this route and enjoy what is there. I would like to spend some time on Roan and an extra day or 2 when I get to Watauga.

Does this route include Laurel Fork Gorge? After Train Wreck's suggestion I looked it up on Google and I definitely want to see this.

Thanks for all of the suggestions and help with this. Now to start figuring out what I will take.

canoe
08-18-2012, 13:27
Have a good hike

sarge95
08-18-2012, 18:38
Have a great hike. It does include Laurel fork Gorge.