PDA

View Full Version : New Hiker needs advice

rka001
08-14-2012, 22:25
Ok I've got the bug. The AT bug, I hear it won't go away until I start hiking. I am completely new to this and just starting to get my equipment. I would like to start doing 4-6 day hike and start in GA. Any suggestions?

attroll
08-15-2012, 00:07
Moved this thread to the "General" forum.

leaftye
08-15-2012, 00:10
Share your budget when asking for gear recommendations.

Other than that, just get out there and build your experience and hopefully have a good time doing it.

glaux
08-15-2012, 08:17
Have you done a lot of day hikes? It requires less gear, but gives you an idea how well you like stomping up and down mountains. I ask because you say you are completely new, so if you haven't set foot on the trail, day hikes are a good start.

You can start at Amicalola, hit the approach trail, to Springer, to Neels Gap. If totally new, you can walk slow and stretch it to 4 or 5 days. Park at Neels and get a shuttle to Amicalola.

Kryptonite
08-15-2012, 09:18
Have you watched Loner2012AT videos on YouTube? There are now about 96 of them in order. Also Fatherman has a daily AT video.

Deer Hunter
08-15-2012, 09:27
"I hear it won't go away until I start hiking"

It never goes away.

Water Rat
08-15-2012, 10:35
Have you watched Loner2012AT videos on YouTube? There are now about 96 of them in order. Also Fatherman has a daily AT video.

DO NOT get her hooked on the Loner videos!! They are visual crack for those inflicted with the AT bug!! Watching them is like throwing gas on a fire - It will make the AT bug get worse! :)

Rita - :welcome! Don't listen to Kryptonite! Your desire to hike the AT will only get worse! I listened...and am now addicted to the videos. Unfortunately, Loner's hike will end. Then, what will I do??? :)

My advice - If you want to hike... Go for it! Seriously, the videos will give you an idea of what trail life is like. Loner has an amazing outlook and his videos will get you even more addicted to the trail.

Kryptonite
08-15-2012, 11:37
Haha. Yes, Loner's videos are really the best! :sun

SnakeSession
08-18-2012, 09:27
LOL this is too funmy! Glad you like the vids everyone, have fun making them and really enjoy the comments and all the wonderfull people I have met. Hope to add some new ones before the Whites.Welcome to hiking Rita and hope you enjoy it as much as we all do! My only advice is get out and hike! Take is slow at first and figure out what gear you like, etc. Oh yeah, you don't have to hike the whole AT to enjoy it. Goodluck!Later, Loner2012AT writing from Howe Library in near Darthmouth Collage in NH!

Water Rat
08-18-2012, 09:31
LOL this is too funmy! Glad you like the vids everyone, have fun making them and really enjoy the comments and all the wonderfull people I have met. Hope to add some new ones before the Whites.Welcome to hiking Rita and hope you enjoy it as much as we all do! My only advice is get out and hike! Take is slow at first and figure out what gear you like, etc. Oh yeah, you don't have to hike the whole AT to enjoy it. Goodluck!Later, Loner2012AT writing from Howe Library in near Darthmouth Collage in NH!

Loner - Your videos are waaaaaaaayyy too addictive! :) Glad you are having such a great hike! You do realize the group of us is going to pester you to keep making hiking videos, don't you? Stay safe out there and keep on havin' fun!

Water Rat

RoyalCannon
08-27-2012, 23:24
Loner's videos are a must watch on youtube. I have watched them all so far and patiently wait for Loner to post more!

Good luck!

Rain Man
08-28-2012, 08:13
Ok I've got the bug. The AT bug, I hear it won't go away until I start hiking. I am completely new to this and just starting to get my equipment. I would like to start doing 4-6 day hike and start in GA. Any suggestions?

Yes... join a local backpacking club! It can be an official NC trails association or it can be a meetup.com group or other. Either way, you get knowledgeable, face-to-face folks happy to help, show you gear, loan you gear, and lead beginner hikes for you to go on.

Enjoy!

Rain:sunMan