PDA

View Full Version : Yet another gear review -2013 Thru Hike

ATMountainTime
08-15-2012, 10:35
A bit about me, im 40, im not a speed hiker, im not a UL'er. I dont intend on stayin in many shelters unless its raining cats and dogs (unless i step in a poodle). Im a pretty decent outdoors guy, but haven't packed much since college, and obviously alot has changed over 20 years. Id like feedback, critiques, advice, analysis. But as with other posts of this kind Id rather not have smart ass comments. But i can hanlde criticizim pretty well. What is in yellow I haven't quite weighed just yet

Weight
Item

Pack/I can't believe im going 2178 miles System

3 lbs 5 oz
Osprey Packs Atmos 50L Backpack

20 oz
Mountainsmith Hiking Poles

4.0 Oz
Black Diamond Storm Headlamp

.3 Oz
Whistle

1.2 Oz
Baladeo Knife

3.5 Oz
Emergency Blanket

TOTAL OZ

5 Lbs 2 Oz
Total Lbs

Sleep/Living/Im to tired to breathe System

2 lbs 10 Oz
Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 Tent

2 lbs 4 oz
Mont Bell 15 degree bag

3.5 Oz
Inflatable Pillow

22Oz
Big Agnes Air Core Air Mattres

TOTAL Oz

6 Lbs 7.5 Oz
TOTAL Lbs

Eating/Cook/it better be a pizza System

10.5 oz
Jet Boil Sol

10.75 oz
Platypus Water Filtration

0.6 Oz
MSR Spork

6.5 oz
Stove Fuel

1.26 oz
8 Triple A Batteries

1 L Gatorade Bottles

TOTAL Oz

TOTAL Lbs

Electronics/Whyd I take this sort of crap into the woods System

5 Oz
Iphone

2 lbs 8 oz
Ipad and Case w/charger

6.3 Oz
Canon Cool Pix Waterproof Digital Camera w/ GPS

6.5 Oz
Tasco Essentials 8x21 Binoculars/Babe Shades

4.5 Oz
Spot 1 Satelite Device

TOTAL Oz

3 Lbs 14.4 Oz
TOTAL LBS

Clothing/I reek worse than Chistopher Reeves System

14 oz
Marmot Rain Jacket

12 oz
Marmot Rain Pants

2.5 oz
Mountain Hardware Visor

.25 Oz
Berkley Sunglasses w/strap

In camp/Town Cottons, T shirt, jeans socks.

Smart Wool Socks x3

Shorts x 3

Shirt x 3

Base Layer top and bottom

Nylon Belt

OR Gaiters

2 Oz
Moutntain Hardware Visor

TOTAL Oz

1Lb 14.75 Oz
TOTAL Lbs

Hygene/Take a **** in the woods system

4 Oz
Toilet Paper

.5 Oz
BP Meds 30 days

.5 Oz
ADD Meds 30 days

.4 Oz
Mini Bic cig lighter

Sun Screen

2.2 Oz
Off Deep Woods Sportsman pump

Toothbrush

.75 Oz
Toothpaste

6 Oz
Mouthwash

Vitamin

Shampoo

Octagon Soap

3.5 Oz
Camp Towel

TOTAL

1 Lb 1.85 Oz
TOTAL LBS

TOTAL TOTAL

Water Rat
08-15-2012, 10:41
I hope you have a great hike! Look forward to hearing about it! :)

This is a question, not a criticism... I see Mountain Hardware Visor listed in two places. Are we talking two different visors, or was the same visor just put on the list twice?

ATMountainTime
08-15-2012, 10:57
Good catch, same visor. Guess the Fat Tire caused a little confusion. Thanks for pointing out.

hikerboy57
08-15-2012, 11:00
your list is woefully inadequate.
you may need more than one vitamin.:)
whats octagon soap?is that one of those pumice based bar soap that scrapes the dirt off? you might consider just taking the usual dr bronners.what do you keep a wet bar of soap in?

ATMountainTime
08-15-2012, 11:19
:) ill be bringing more than one.

Ill go with the Dr. Bronners, i actually kinda forgot they made that stuff.....it really is MAGIC soap.

Whack-a-mole
08-15-2012, 11:50
I wouldn't worry about the mouthwash, but I'm sure everyone else will appreciate it :)

Berserker
08-15-2012, 12:32
I don't normally critique people's lists cause I'm into the HYOH mantra, but I'll make a couple of general comments. You have a lot of stuff that's going to add up and be pretty heavy all together. You could eliminate some things such as all the extra clothing (i.e. 1 extra pair of shorts instead of 2). Also, you appear to be packing the proverbial 10lbs of dookie into a 5lb bag as your pack is only 50l. That's not a large size pack by any stretch, and I haven't seen to many dudes carrying something that small unless they are into the lightweight style. Also, do you really think you'll use the iPad. That's some serious weight there if you ain't gonna use it much, and I wouldn't want something like that out in those conditions (large temperature changes, humidity, etc.).

Best thing would be to pack all that up (asuming you already have everything), and carry it around on your back for a while to see what you think. Then go do some short weekend shakedown hikes.

Kryptonite
08-15-2012, 12:44
I didn't see any kind of first aid supplies? Have you thought about putting your iPad in a waterproof bag? It will weigh under 2 lbs as my iPad without case weighs 1.7 lbs. Or you could bounce it ahead.

ATMountainTime
08-15-2012, 12:45
I have most, and put it in the pack last night, and it was already quite tight without clothes and food.

Ill probably nix the I pad anyways, as id have to buy my wife one before i left, and it's a HUGE weight penalty. Probably nix the jetboil too for an alcohol one, saving some space and weight.

I put the platapus and my tent poles on the outside and it was still a bit tight. Thinking of going to a 65.

Moose2001
08-15-2012, 13:06
Here's the stuff I would ditch because you don't need it:

3.5 Oz Emergency Blanket
2 lbs 8 oz Ipad and Case w/charger
6.5 Oz Tasco Essentials 8x21 Binoculars/Babe Shades
4.5 Oz Spot 1 Satelite Device
In camp/Town Cottons, T shirt, jeans socks (not sure what this is but you don't need town clothes!)
Shorts x 3 Shirt x 3 (you just need one of each)
Nylon Belt (for holding up your town pants?)
Mouthwash Vitamin Shampoo Octagon Soap (leave them all at home)

ATMountainTime
08-15-2012, 13:38
all pretty good suggestions moose. thank you sir.

T.S.Kobzol
08-15-2012, 15:16
I would ditch the camera and just use the iphone for taking pictures.

Odd Man Out
08-15-2012, 16:13
I wouldn't worry about the mouthwash, but I'm sure everyone else will appreciate it :)

I take mouthwash. It is not for bad breath but for good dental hygiene. I cut weight where ever possible, but not here. I do keep it down to a small travel-sized bottle.

Mountaintop
08-15-2012, 17:19
I take mouthwash. It is not for bad breath but for good dental hygiene. I cut weight where ever possible, but not here. I do keep it down to a small travel-sized bottle.
You could go dual use and carry Hydrogen Peroxide.

Stir Fry
08-15-2012, 17:22
You have 10Lbs. in clothes. You realy do not need any cotton, even for town. You carry all that to Neel Gap get a Shake down and you'll be OK, or better yet stop on the way to Springer and get the shake down. They will help you stay arround 30Lbs or so with food and water. Save your back on the first 30.2 miles

ATMountainTime
08-15-2012, 19:13
I fully intend on going up to Mountain Crossings next weekend, those guys are great!! This was first of a few rounds of this i intend to go with. I truly thank you guys for taking the time to help me out. Hope to see y'all out there and away from walls!!