PDA

View Full Version : Bear Claw Hostel

Walessp
04-30-2005, 06:33
Bear Claw Hostel is reported to be near Mountain Mamas. Has anyone stayed here, and if so, what was your experience?

Sky Rider
(walessp)

Lone Wolf
04-30-2005, 06:54
You mean Standing Bear Farm hostel?

Nean
04-30-2005, 09:54
Never spent the night at Standing Bear Farm hostel but have visited several times. Real nice folks with darn near everything a hiker could need or want.

jackiebolen
04-30-2005, 13:56
Highly recommended, I stayed there last summer. Make a plan to stop there.

Walessp
05-03-2005, 07:20
Hold on -- the quote below is from Jumpstart, from the thread below this one discussing Mountain Mamas.

"...but this year a new place had opened up a few miles passed along the trail, the Bearclaw hostel, and lots of people skipped over Mtn Momas for that place."

Sooo, has anyone beside Jumpstart been there and if so what was your experience?

Sky Rider

Nean
05-03-2005, 08:16
Standing Bear Farm is the same place Jumpstart refers to- Bear is just the easiest part of the name to remember.

Grey Fox
10-22-2005, 12:35
Standing Bear Hostil is AMAZING. Curtis is a great host. Cabins, washer, dryer, HOT outdoor shower. When i stayed there in 04 he had just installed a wood stove in the bunkhouse. He sells great food for cheap prices (burgers, pizza, candy) we ate like kings and could barely move afterward! Definatly stay here.

Lone Wolf
10-22-2005, 12:39
I liked the old days walking thru that area before Mtn. Momas and Stand Bear. Hot Springs was the focus. Too many hostels (distractions) nowadays. Dime a dozen.

Jack Tarlin
10-22-2005, 15:16
People that find hostels to be distractions have the option of skipping them; I wasn't aware that visiting any of these places was mandatory.

That being said, Standing Bear Farm is a unique and a wonderful place and I highly recommend it.

Lilred
10-24-2005, 18:57
People that find hostels to be distractions have the option of skipping them; I wasn't aware that visiting any of these places was mandatory.

That being said, Standing Bear Farm is a unique and a wonderful place and I highly recommend it.

I agree, certainly not a dime a dozen, not this one. I was there by myself and found it to be a step back in time. Love that cottage that straddles the creek.

The Solemates
10-25-2005, 10:08
"i got three neighbors. get my booze from the son, get my weed from the cousin, and get my car parts from the uncle." -Curtis

Walessp
10-31-2005, 08:24
Just got back from my trip through part of GSMNP and stayed at Standing Bear Hostel with host Curtis in the little cottage over the stream. Great place and well worth the stop!

Sky Rider
(walessp)

squirrel bait
10-31-2005, 09:25
What are the prices for the services?

Walessp
10-31-2005, 11:40
Services at Standing Bear Hostel -

lodging is $15 a night....showers/laundry/internet included. He shuttles at reasonable rates too. It's 20 to Max Patch Road. Its's $60 from Davenport Gap to Newfound Gap (allow 1.5 hrs. travel) . He shuttles hikers there a lot, and its about 45 miles from gap to gap. He has liimited resupply/food/fuel, but says he can easily get more just down the road in Harford. Email is:

[email protected]

walessp

Red Hat
10-31-2005, 16:39
Stayed there with a bunch of hiking buddies this spring. Awesome! We were lucky enough to get a ride to the restaurant Maria owns/works at... Curtis and Maria were great hosts and I really enjoyed my stay. I was rested enough to do Max Patch the next day.

hux
10-31-2005, 16:48
Standing Bear is great...for resupplying there's a new little outdoor shop in Newport...the shop is a smal distance away, but the guy will shuttle supplies to hartford. Mountain Mamas knows this guy...the shop is The Mountain Side Outdoor Shop, small but growing

TnTom98
10-31-2005, 18:03
where is the new outfitters located in Newport?
thanks
TnTom 98
Tom Warmbrod