PDA

View Full Version : Crime in South America?

MorningJoe
08-15-2012, 14:45
Anyone have any info and advice on how to deal with the high crime rate in South America; particularly being a caucasin American... I would like to thru hike from Cape Horn and wonder if this would even realistically be advisable?

Thanks,
MorninJoe :-?

tdoczi
08-15-2012, 15:32
if you mean hike all of south america through central america into north america, crime aside, this is very near impossible. its a little known fact (or seemingly little known, every time i tell it to someone they are pretty surprised) that you can not practically cross from columbia into panama over land. theres an area called the darien gap that is impassable by all but extreme means.

scree
08-15-2012, 15:43
Do you speak Spanish and/or Portuguese? What route are you considering? In some respects Argentina and Chile are like European countries - you don't have to worry too much about crime aside from petty theft. If you take the West coast up, you're going to be spending a *lot* of time in dry coastal desert and mountains. If you shoot the middle, you have to deal with the Amazon and mountains. I don't know much about the East, aside from it probably being mostly rain forest.

I can say from my time living in Peru that I never felt like I was in danger because I spoke the language, kept aware of my surroundings, and stuck to a plan. I got pick pocketed once on a bus and that's it, but that was mostly my fault since you should never get on crowded buses there. I'd be most concerned about resupplies and not really knowing where you are.. I could easily see someone wandering into a bad area on the way into town and having trouble, but probably the best advice I can offer is to look poor, don't flash any money or nice stuff around, and be nice to people. Oh, and keep away from the drug trafickers. When I was in Lima there were phony checkpoints set up by corrupt cops and/or gangs looking to collect bribes. Be aware that kind of stuff happens a lot. There are also gangs who frequent tourist spots including ruins and parks looking for visitors to rob or kidnap. Again in Lima, I had associates who were intended targets of flash kidnappings and muggings. No worse than any big city except you will stand out more.

I think I'd be most worried once I reached Ecuador, Colombia, or Venezuela. That's where your problems are likely to start, if anywhere. South of that, things are relatively stable, but petty crime, kidnappings, murders, etc... are fairly common in Colombia and Venezuela. Get kidnapped and don't have money? You're dead, end of story. Venezuela is particularly bad right now and you're likely to get hauled in on espionage charges if you attempt to cross the border on foot. I wouldn't have many reservations about this in the south and central parts of South America, but I'd become very, very cautious further north and around any major tourist areas.

Have you heard of Ed Stafford? Check this out - http://www.walkingtheamazon.com/ Similar in concept to what you're talking about, except he walked the Amazon. Interesting documentary, and in many ways his local guide saved his ass. Actually, I'd also recommend looking at State Department travel advisories for each of the countries you're looking at. They usually offer the most current and BS free advice on crime and other considerations for US travelers.

Odd Man Out
08-15-2012, 16:07
South America is larger than North America and a lot more diverse. The crime rate of South America is irrelevant and meaningless. What is important is the crime rate of where you are going to be. Would you avoid Wausa Nebraska because you heard that a lot of people get shot in South Chicago? Check out each locale and plan accordingly.

bamboo bob
08-15-2012, 16:13
I have a friend who biked the Pan American so called "highway" and he had a great time except for the flat tires.

tdoczi
08-15-2012, 18:44
South America is larger than North America and a lot more diverse. The crime rate of South America is irrelevant and meaningless. What is important is the crime rate of where you are going to be. Would you avoid Wausa Nebraska because you heard that a lot of people get shot in South Chicago? Check out each locale and plan accordingly.

and columbia is still columbia and theres no way around it if you want to exist south america by land. thats like saying biking across the US is perfectly safe because most of it is relatively crime free, even though your intended route takes you through downtown camden, nj at 1am.

MorningJoe
08-16-2012, 05:43
Well, this seems to be a far greater endeavor than I had ever imagined! I was totally agasp when I read it took Karl Bushby 7 years to hike from the Southern tip of South America to the Northern tip of Alaska... I was under the impression that you could hire a guide to take you through the Andes on some sort of CDT extended "trail"... I am flabbergasted at the extent of such an undertaking to say the least... Any further info would be killer...especially from anyone that would possibly consider taking on this journey personally...

Thanks,
MorninJoe

Odd Man Out
08-16-2012, 17:44
and columbia is still columbia and theres no way around it if you want to exist south america by land. thats like saying biking across the US is perfectly safe because most of it is relatively crime free, even though your intended route takes you through downtown camden, nj at 1am.

I was operating under the assumption that one would hike only where it is relatively safe. If you must thru-hike SA, then there may be insurmountable obstacles for all but the most adventurous.

tdoczi
08-16-2012, 17:49
I was operating under the assumption that one would hike only where it is relatively safe. If you must thru-hike SA, then there may be insurmountable obstacles for all but the most adventurous.

my bad, i guess i was sort of half responding to information i took from his other near identical thread on this subject. youre right, this thread does not it make it apparent what his intention is.

fiddlehead
08-16-2012, 20:49
I'd do my best to speak Spanish (and be able to understand it when people talk FAST)
Looking poor is good advice.
Carry a money belt (Eagle creek makes a low profile one that is strong) for your credit card, ATM card and main cash and a wallet with fake cards and small money.

It sounds like a good (although a bit dangerous) idea.

I think a trip across Russia would be a better idea.
The theives there are more into cyber crime.

Bronk
08-17-2012, 01:19
I read a journal of someone who hiked Chile a couple years ago...it might still be on the net somewhere. There are quite a few South American countries I just wouldn't want to visit because of the crime...but I've heard a $20 bill will get you out of a lot of situations...especially with the cops...learn to smile and say "can I just pay you a small fine?"

Rasty
08-17-2012, 01:35
If you've been in military recently then Venisula is a real bad idea also.

turtle fast
08-17-2012, 01:49
The area from Colombia to Panama is impassible...the border area is thick jungle and the area is not in the hands of the Colombian government but held by narco gorillas like the FARC. No way thru there, even on the Panama side you have indigenous peoples who use the rivers to navigate through the jungle and many don't speak Spanish. I have lived in one of the aforementioned crime ridden countries in northern South America and now it is worse than before. Before kidnappings were rare, and domestic drug abuse was low. Now crime is high and domestic drug abuse is helping fuel that. Yes, I have been robbed, stabbed, and had to deal with corrupt cops....but that is childs play compared to today. And YES, no matter how poor you look you WILL attract attention as an Anglo! Like it has been said before, the south is like Europe..the middle like Peru or Ecuador is ok, but be aware...and the north is like the wild west right now.

Odd Man Out
08-17-2012, 09:16
my bad, i guess i was sort of half responding to information i took from his other near identical thread on this subject. youre right, this thread does not it make it apparent what his intention is.

Well, actually the OP does say "thru hike" so yes, if you are right, i one has an "all or none" objective, then the answer might be "none" if just 1% is not practical. I just thought the phrase "crime rate in South America" was misleading (at best) and reevaluation might lead to redefining objectives.