PDA

View Full Version : Springer to Standing Indian campground in September

stir crazy
08-16-2012, 15:16
I'm interested in hiking this section in September and looking for some feedback. As for hiking experience, I am a somewhat experienced but mainly in the 2-4 night range including sections of the BMT, Foothills Trail (twice), and Chattooga Trail. I have never hiked the AT. Based on those hikes, I think I'm comfortable hiking around 15-17 miles per day. Here's my tentative plan: Day 1: Springer to old Gooch Gap shelter (16.3), day 2: Wolf Laurel top (34.1), day 3: Blue Mountain Shelter (48.7); day 4: McClure Gap (65.1); day 5: Bly Gap (76.4): day 6: Standing Indian Campground (86.9 via Kimsey Creek Trail). I would leave my vehicle at Standing Indian and take a shuttle to Springer.
Other than Blue Mountain Shelter, I will be using my hammock, although I have never stayed in a shelter and do not know whether I would like it more. Just wondering if this plan makes sense. My only resupply would be at Neels Gap so it looks like I'm hauling 4-5 days of food after that. Let me know if you think this plan works?

Train Wreck
08-16-2012, 15:52
You can also hitchhike into Hiawassee, GA from Dicks Creek Gap for resupply, a motel/shower, fast food, etc. There is a large parking area at Dicks Creek and getting a ride is usually not a problem. Also check the Thru Hiker Companion to see if there are any hostels still open in the area.

stir crazy
08-16-2012, 16:12
I'm working off a 2008 Appalachian Pages handbook. Probably out of date. I've read that alot of hikers resupply at Hiawasee but hoping to push on through if feasible.

Train Wreck
08-16-2012, 16:39
IMO that's probably too far out of date to be truly useful in terms of hostels, shuttles, prices, etc. Towns and roads, on the other hand, tend to be very lazy and stay in the same place ;) so it that's primarily what you're using it for, you're fine.
If you decide to push on past Dicks Creek with all your food supply, have fun with Albert Mountain!
Do you have a firm date set for your hike? I am often in that area and might be able to help you out if you need som

Train Wreck
08-16-2012, 16:39
*something*

silverscuba22
08-16-2012, 16:42
Stir, are you in pretty good shape ?? as long as you can pull those miles is is very feasible.......

Moose2001
08-16-2012, 16:45
Do yourself a favor and cut those days in half. That's a lot of miles for a section hike. The majority of thrus that start take two days to get to Gooch Gap. Those are not flat miles!

moldy
08-16-2012, 16:49
This should be a great trip. Everything in your plan is reasonable. I hope that the shuttle is to USFS Rd #42 near the top of Springer. That first day will be a challange to make it the drop off point then hike South to the top of Springer then turn around and head North. Have the shullte guy pick you up early. This will be a green trip as the Fall colors will be a month away.

Train Wreck
08-16-2012, 16:58
This should be a great trip. Everything in your plan is reasonable. I hope that the shuttle is to USFS Rd #42 near the top of Springer. That first day will be a challange to make it the drop off point then hike South to the top of Springer then turn around and head North. Have the shullte guy pick you up early. This will be a green trip as the Fall colors will be a month away.

Very good point about the time involved for shuttling. The US 42 route is slow going even in good weather.
I don't know about anyone else, but the daily mileage does seem a little ambitious. Maybe cut back a little if your schedule permits.

stir crazy
08-16-2012, 17:37
Thanks for the feedback. Moldy -- That is a good point regarding shuttle time. I guess I need to figure a noon start at Springer and shorten day 1. Train Wreck -- I'm going to be taking Kimsey Creek Trail which I think bypasses Alpert Mountain. I'm starting my AT experience as a blue blazer:) I think (or hope) I'm in good enough shape to do the mileage. Probably will need to be flexible but that's the time I have budgeted. Any great campsites by streams along the way?

Marta
08-16-2012, 20:39
The plan sounds reasonable to me. If, by the time you reach Neels Gap you realize you're way off pace in either direction, you can recalculate. Besides conditioning and pack weight, your mileage can change because of minor injury or weather. If its really foul, you might want to stay under cover later than usual, or take cover earlier than you otherwise would. On the other hand, in an all-day steady rain, most people tend not to take breaks and actually cover miles faster than normal.

There are loads of campsites along the way.

Have a great hike!

Whack-a-mole
08-17-2012, 12:41
I think it would not be fun to start at noon and have to make it to Gooch Mtn. That is a long day, but of course it all depends on your conditioning. Ah to be young again....

Kerosene
08-17-2012, 13:48
If you have an extra day, think about getting a shuttle to Amicalola and hiking the approach trail, spending the night at Hickory Flatts Cemetery for a 12-mile first day. I find that it takes me about 3 days to get into backpacking shape, even though I start out in excellent shape (9% body fat). If possible, see if you can limit your first few days to 12-15 miles, carrying something less than 30 pounds in total. On Day 4 I would look to ramp up daily mileage to 15-20.

Kimsey Creek Trail is a lovely downhill hike, especially in late on a sunny afternoon. There are numerous wading pools at about mile 3 that you might take advantage of.

As a hammocker I don't think you will want to really consider staying at a shelter unless the weather is really poor. They can be nice for cooking, and with the right group of people you socialize. Think about having a meal at a shelter and then moving on for an hour or two to camp.

stir crazy
08-17-2012, 14:33
Thanks for the info on the Kimsey Creek Trail. Downhill sounds good to me. Regarding the approach trail, I have already done that section a few times already. I would hike the approach trail and then take the loop around FS 42 parking lot and hang a right on the BMT back to the top of Springer. That will save me 2 whole miles because I can start hiking the AT from the parking lot. This hike is getting shorter by the minute.....

stir crazy
08-17-2012, 14:45
BTW, I would like to give kudos to all of you who have done the whole trail. What an awesome feat. 87 miles is a drop in the bucket compared to that accomplishment. I can't imagine the mental toughness to pull that off. Congrats.

MoodyBluer
08-17-2012, 16:43
I agree with cutting some miles down initially from Springer...after Hawk Mountain shelter you will run into the Sassafrass/Justus Mtn rollercoaster which will kick your behind...but good luck and have fun.