PDA

View Full Version : Where to be dropped off at Northern Terminus

bumt1941
08-16-2012, 17:09
I'm starting my SOBO E2E in about two weeks, and plan on having a family member drop me off at the Northern Terminus. I can't for the life of me figure out where exactly that is. Is there an address or coordinates) or road leading directly to the trial head? All I'm finding is information about shuttles :-?

Thanks!

Moose2001
08-16-2012, 17:18
The Northern Terminus is on top of Katahdin. There is no road up there. The closest you'll get is the campground at the base of the climb. That's why you're only finding info on shuttles from Millinocket out to the campground.

jakedatc
08-16-2012, 17:32
I'm starting my SOBO E2E in about two weeks, and plan on having a family member drop me off at the Northern Terminus. I can't for the life of me figure out where exactly that is. Is there an address or coordinates) or road leading directly to the trial head? All I'm finding is information about shuttles :-?

Thanks!

Journey's End road, Jay, VT If you do not have something with a bit of high clearance.. ie decent SUV, truck etc you will have to walk another mile or so to get to the blue blaze trail that leads to Journey's end shelter which continues to the Northern Terminus.

if you have the Long Trail Map (which i HIGHLY suggest you get) go to the last map and it will show you. the Long trail E-E guide and Long trail guide are not nearly as useful on the trail.

PS Moose this is the Long Trail sub forum.. you are confused.

Spokes
08-16-2012, 17:33
See if this link helps. You should be able to zoom in on the map to get a better perspective:
http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewTrip/434870

From North Troy, go W on N. Jay Rd. for 2.2 mi; turn R on Journeys End Rd. Go 1.2 mi to LT end.

Cheers!

Moose2001
08-16-2012, 17:44
The Northern Terminus is on top of Katahdin. There is no road up there. The closest you'll get is the campground at the base of the climb. That's why you're only finding info on shuttles from Millinocket out to the campground.

duh! My bad. Can't read which forum I'm in! DUH!!!

peakbagger
08-17-2012, 07:15
Make sure the family member takes good notes, the drive out from journeys end to the interstate is a bit of a challenge.

Razor
08-17-2012, 14:12
Enjoy --a perfect time to make a great hike ---remember that the LT is more of a path ,if you consider the AT a trail. much more rugged and less developed. A refreshing change.

About_Time
08-17-2012, 14:21
This happens a lot. I know some of the forums are different colors (i.e. Female Hikers Forum). I don't know if they're out of colors, but I'd suggest making all "other trails" a different color to cut down on the confusion.

About_Time
08-17-2012, 14:22
This happens a lot. I know some of the forums are different colors (i.e. Female Hikers Forum). I don't know if they're out of colors, but I'd suggest making all "other trails" a different color to cut down on the confusion.

Oops, meant to quote moose's comment about thinking it was an AT related post....

jakedatc
08-17-2012, 14:47
Enjoy --a perfect time to make a great hike ---remember that the LT is more of a path ,if you consider the AT a trail. much more rugged and less developed. A refreshing change.

See, I don't see a lot of change. The 3' wide "path" is plenty well defined on the LT. While the footing and terrain may be a bit rougher in places, i'm sure there are plenty of places on the AT that are not maintained as well. I found a bunch of places up north where prickers and weeds have grown across the trail to be pretty annoying, 10 minutes with some clippers would save a lot of trekking pole hacking. I also found that there is an abundance of blazes where you don't need them and a distinct lack of "turn" blazes when one would be extremely useful. what is the point of having 90 blazes going down Mansfield to 108 on the most wide, chewed up trail ever and not having a decent marker when crossing ski trails, especially when you're not going directly across?

bumt1941
08-20-2012, 09:12
cool! Thanks for the help guys

angewrite
08-21-2012, 23:25
When are you starting your hike? I live in VT and will be heading up there soon either on Labor Day or another day that week. I used to shuttle so I can help you find it and/or we can coordinate drop offs if our schedules sync.

bumt1941
08-22-2012, 16:05
I'm starting on friday! A bit too early for you, but i appreciate the help