PDA

View Full Version : First-time Thru Hiker. Tear my gear list apart (or maybe just constructive feedback!)

TheMilesHarbin
08-16-2012, 18:39
Pack:
Granite Gear Blaze A.C. 60 Pack w/ lineloc lid/ CamelBak 100 fl oz. resovior/ pack liner

Clothing:

Base Layer:
SmartWool Hiking Ultra Light Crew Socks/ 3 extras
Underwear (Warm Weather) / Long Underwear (Cold Weather)
Columbia Mountain Tech III Crew Shirt
Kuhl Renegade Shorts (Warm Weather) / REI Windbrake Thermal Pants (Cold Weather)

Secondary Layer:
Columbia Bug Shield Hybrid Mesh Jacket

Outer Layer:
Columbia Hemlock Road Jacket
Pancho that covers body as well as pack easily

Shoes:
Vibram FiveFingers Spyridon LS Trail-Running Shoes
Zamberlan 298 Tundra GT Hiking Boots

Misc:
Balaclava
Hat
Sunglasses
Petzl Tikka XP 2 Headlamp
Exped Explorer 130 4-Section Trekking Poles

Cooking:
Guyot Designs MicroBites Utensils
Jetboil Sol Titanium Companion Cup - 0.8 Liter w/ fuel canister
Nalgene
Chlorine Dioxide Tablets

Sleeping:
Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 Tent
Therm-a-Rest Ridge Rest Solar Sleeping Pad
The North Face Cat's Meow Sleeping Bag
Pillow Dry Bag -340 cubic inches / 5.6 Liters

Misc:
Bug spray/Sunscreen/Toothbrush/Paste/Deodorant/ Roll of TP/handwash
Droid Razr Maxx w/ 2 extra batteries
Solio Bolt Solar Charger
Trail Guide
Notebook & Pen
Backpacking First Aid Kit

4shot
08-16-2012, 20:50
very solid list. The gear is sufficient and you can tweak it along the way if need be. Most go with the aqua mira drops for water treatment.

FWIW, we already knew you were a "first timer". "Second time" thru hikers don't publish their gear lists for critique - a 2200 mile hike will make you certain of what you want to carry.;)

Spokes
08-16-2012, 20:56
Looks pretty good. I'd ditch the Nalgene and consider AquaMira. I always like to carry an extra titanium spoon in the bottom of my food bag and an extra set of AquaMira as a back-up. You'll come to appreciate that titanium spoon when you attack a frozen (solid) pint of your favorite flavor Ben & Jerry's.... :)

Compare your stuff to this tried and true gear list (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4). I'd add a trash compactor bag as a pack liner.

Cheers!

booney_1
08-18-2012, 22:20
gloves/mittens? runners gloves are good.

You don't need the bug jacket for bugs, I think a lightweight fleece jacket would be more useful.

How insulated is the Columbia Road Jacket. Many people get a water proof shell and combine it with a down sweater. There are a lot of thick down sweaters/jackets available that pack real small.

some line/cord to hang up food bag to keep animals (bears from eating)+(you need food bag too). Parachute cord or masonary line is good. Good for hanging up wet clothes also.

Safety pins for hanging socks onto pack to dry while you hike..

I'd customize your first aid kit- good blister repair supplies+ benadry, imodium , pepto, ibuprofen

I'd also consider upgrading your ridge rest to one of the newer inflatable ones. I've used an older ridge rest for years, but it's thin in the cold and the newer inflatable ones are soooo much warmer and comfortable. Plus you don't really pay a weight penalty now. (the small prolite is 15oz), which is less than the pad you are considering. Check some other posts here, this is a subject people feel strongly about. The new pads are really much more comfortable and warmer.

By the way, another advantage to having a down sweater is you can sleep in it if on those really cold nights.

Consider a sleeping bag liner, especially for the first few months for added warmth.

Oh..one more thing...bring something to change into for sleeping. You don't want to sleep in the same clothes you hike in. Believe it or not, they will retain a lot of moisture. You need some very light clothes,(top+bottoms) to change into.

one more thing...this is a small preference, but I like a small key chain led light like the photon. They weight nothing, and I keep in my jacket or pants pocket. It's a spare (plus I always have it on me)

Generally you have a very good list, I congratulate you for not having a giant knife. I would make sure my first aid kit had a pair of scissors though.

Good Job!

Hike4Life!
08-22-2012, 14:24
That is a good start, I would change a few things:

Clothes:
Socks - Two pair to hike and one strictly for sleeping.
Underwear - If you are a guy I would ditch the warm weather pair. I wore mine for the first week then ended up just carrying it in my pack for the next 3 months until I sent it home.
Pants - You don't need pants. Stay warm while hiking in shorts and rain paints were the first things I sent home.
Shoes - Very specific to individual so hard to comment, I switched out of boots to trail runners (Solomons) after the first week and didnt look back. Crocs were the perfect camp and emergency hiking shoe.

Misc.
Ditch the Sunglasses and Solar Charger - Sunglasses are not needed since most of your hiking is done in the shade and solar charger is not needed with extra batteries. I hiked with a Droid and two extra batteries and never had a problem.
Deodorant is also one of the first things most hikers leave behind.
Roll of TP can be reduced to 1/4 a roll of TP, easy to replenish along the trail
Cooking:
Lose the Utensils for either a spoon or fork, just don't bring the useless spork
Leave the Nalgene for the easily replaceable 32oz gatorade bottles
I would switchout the Chlorine Dioxide Tablets for Aquamira

Blissful
08-23-2012, 12:17
I'd never go with only two pairs of socks for hiking. Take care of your feet and they will make you happy and less blister issue.

I'd skip a Camel back system. Just take bottles like a liter Smartwater bottle and Aqua fina bottle or the like (Nalgene is too heavy). Drinking systems are a pain.

We did not have good luck with a solar charger.

I think your insulating jacket sounds heavy (?). I prefer a good down to start, esp if it's March (when is your start date?)

Five fingers And boots (?). Heavy.

Bear bag system, maps, pack liner

Not sure on tabs, never used them (maybe expensive?), but Aqua Mira worked good for me. Though I am getting a bit more convinced on simply using bleach but haven't yet made the "leap"
Skip deodorant. It won't work anyway... I found that out caretaking this summer. I'd use it before I left base camp and still stink. :)

Blissful
08-23-2012, 12:20
Pants - You don't need pants. Stay warm while hiking in shorts

If a March start no way. If you went this year, you had it easy with the weather. But most years you're gonna hit teens with wind chill.
And what happens when you stop to rest?

Take pants to start for sure! I love my convertible pants. I also took rain pants to start b/c of snow, sleet issues. And in the Whites (prevented hypothermia)

BenLeaman
08-26-2012, 18:34
Pack:
Granite Gear Blaze A.C. 60 Pack w/ lineloc lid/ CamelBak 100 fl oz. resovior/ pack liner - ditch the CamelBak

Clothing:

Base Layer:
SmartWool Hiking Ultra Light Crew Socks/ 3 extras
Underwear (Warm Weather) / Long Underwear (Cold Weather)
Columbia Mountain Tech III Crew Shirt
Kuhl Renegade Shorts (Warm Weather) / REI Windbrake Thermal Pants (Cold Weather)

Secondary Layer:
Columbia Bug Shield Hybrid Mesh Jacket

Outer Layer:
Columbia Hemlock Road Jacket
Pancho that covers body as well as pack easily

Shoes:
Vibram FiveFingers Spyridon LS Trail-Running Shoes - Ditch one of the pairs of shoes
Zamberlan 298 Tundra GT Hiking Boots

Misc:
Balaclava
Hat
Sunglasses - you'll break or lose them because you won't be using them
Petzl Tikka XP 2 Headlamp
Exped Explorer 130 4-Section Trekking Poles

Cooking:
Guyot Designs MicroBites Utensils
Jetboil Sol Titanium Companion Cup - 0.8 Liter w/ fuel canister
Nalgene - leave home instead get some Smartwater bottles
Chlorine Dioxide Tablets - use a small dropper of bleach

Sleeping:
Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1 Tent
Therm-a-Rest Ridge Rest Solar Sleeping Pad
The North Face Cat's Meow Sleeping Bag
Pillow Dry Bag -340 cubic inches / 5.6 Liters

Misc:
Bug spray/Sunscreen/Toothbrush/Paste/Deodorant/ Roll of TP/handwash - I personally don't bother with sunscreen, deodorant & bug spray
Droid Razr Maxx w/ 2 extra batteries
Solio Bolt Solar Charger - If you're taking TWO extra batteries, leave this thing at home (with the second spare battery)
Trail Guide
Notebook & Pen
Backpacking First Aid Kit

I think we can figure out what I did here...

Drybones
08-27-2012, 08:30
A few comments to add to what's already been said:
Take a small bottle of Newskin for blisters, you will need it. Even in cold weather I wear shorts but for a long hike I would take convertible pants, start out with them in the morning and take the legs off when you warm up. The 5-toe shoes will be very slippery when you get to muddy sections, be prepared to get muddy when you fall. I normally wear sunglasses any time I'm out but never used them on the trail, take a cap to keep sweat out of your eyes. For water treatment I use bleach that I put in a very small Clear Eyes bottle. I use a 24 oz Smartwater bottle and carry a 2-liter Platypus for bulk water in camp. The top half of a water bottle cut in half with a fine mesh screen in the drinking end works well to filter trash from water. The lightweight poncho that covers your pack worked great for me, thats all you need for rain wear.

fredmugs
08-27-2012, 13:37
Nice list. I would ditch the boots. I've never heard anyone have anything good to say about solar chargers on the AT.

Drybones
08-27-2012, 14:12
One other thing to mention, waterproof gloves, loose fitting so you can get them on wet hands easily.