PDA

View Full Version : FYI: Re Rodents

Doctari
04-30-2005, 18:44
I have 8 pet rats (all female), we occasionally let them out to run free in the house & chase the cats. So, I have had quite the opportunity to watch them in action. I feel that rats are quite a bit smarter than mice, but the behaviors are similar. So I thought I would post what I have learned about the little guys:

If you think: “I have outsmarted them” Nah, they let you have your way OR they haven’t quite figured it out yet, but your “Trick” will be unraveled by time the next hiker gets there.

They are not necessarily steeling your food because they are hungry, or that they are out of food. Our rats are FAT, Penelope is even morbidly overweight, their cages have “tons” of food stashes and at least 5 piles hidden throughout the house. Yet just a few hours ago I had 3 of them out, the main activity was to “steal” food from their jar of snacks & scurry off to hide them (yes, they have a 2 gallon jar of snacks in our living room). The only time they stopped to eat was when they were given chocolate, YUM! So need does not determine aggressiveness when it comes to foraging for food.

They can jump UP at least 2x their body length. They can jump for distance 3 - 4 times as long as they are. I have seen Elizabeth drop 7’ onto a concrete floor & run over to climb the shelves again. A fall for me of similar height would be about 58 feet, I am reasonably sure I would not survive.

While mice are a bit more skittish, they are almost totally fearless under certain circumstances (10 Oz rat terrorizing a 16 Lb cat, no he isn’t de-clawed, yes he hunts)

They (Rats at least) can eat ANYTHING, and can chew through almost anything. Poison may work on a few, but the rest will soon learn what is killing their friends and avoid the bait.

We have taught them that food is readily available in/near the shelters, along with fantastic bedding material (wool, poly pro, fleece, etc) and mental challenges (food suspended from tuna cans, etc). From watching the girls, their priorities are: Food, hiding places, water, fun, sleep, companions.

Don’t know if this helps or what. Thought it may be interesting.

Doctari.

Lilred
05-01-2005, 18:08
We have taught them that food is readily available in/near the shelters, along with fantastic bedding material (wool, poly pro, fleece, etc) and mental challenges (food suspended from tuna cans, etc). From watching the girls, their priorities are: Food, hiding places, water, fun, sleep, companions.Doctari.

You take your pet rats to shelters???????? :eek: :confused:

Doctari
05-01-2005, 20:23
You take your pet rats to shelters???????? :eek: :confused:

I would, but they don't like to be on a leash, & I aint carryin em :jump Lets see: 8 rats x an average wt of 10 Oz, NO, definetly not carrying them.

That would be kinda, , , , interesting. Specially if it was Elizabeth, she LOVES people, with an extra fondness for people with long hair. She likes them almost as much as she likes chasing cats :p

Anyway, what I ment is: we hikers have taught the shelter mice about the food & stuff. :rolleyes:

Doctari.

Lilred
05-01-2005, 23:47
Anyway, what I ment is: we hikers have taught the shelter mice about the food & stuff. :rolleyes: Doctari.

Oh, thank goodness!! Thought I had one more good reason to stay out of shelters........

Mini-Mosey
05-02-2005, 08:18
After reading this post, maybe I won't yell so loudly if I encounter rats(or rats encounter me)at a shelter again!

I like your choice of names!

Doctari
05-19-2005, 12:06
After reading this post, maybe I won't yell so loudly if I encounter rats(or rats encounter me)at a shelter again!
I like your choice of names!

Thanks, after all the mice (& rats) are just trying to get by, and are only doing what we hikers have taught them is an easy way to make a living.

In order of age my girls are: Elizabeth, Mary, Ann, Penelope, Tulip, Silk, Sugar, Shangrila. The first 2 are named after queens: Elizabeth & Mary Tudor from the 15th century. Ann & Penelope were QE I's ladies in waiting.

pets we are owned by: 5 cats, 8 rats, 2 fish, 1 turtle.

Doctari.

Moxie00
05-19-2005, 21:53
When I started my thru hike I hated mice.. They ate a hole in my backpack to get to my toothpaste at the cheese Factory site. Near Max Patch they ran up and all over my tent all night trying to get in. In Virginia one cold night they tore my camp towel to shreads to make a nest. I must have lost a couple of pounds of food to them by the time I got to the whites. One trick I learned while I was still in Georgia was to take a 12 cent pack of Rahman Noodles, break it up, and spread it around on the ground 30 or 40 feet from the shelter. That would, in theory, cause all the mice to leave the shelter and spend the night eating and not bothering the hikers in the shelter. It didn't work as the mice brought the noodles back to the shelter, stored them in your boots for winter, and still ate your $300 Gregory Backpack for breakfast. By the time I got to the 100 mile wilderness I had come to accept the mice as fellow creatures of the trail. I had even gotten to appreciate what the little fellows had to go through just to get by. I realized how my attitude had changed when about four days north of Monson I found a baby mouse that had fallen into a deep footprint and couldn't get out. I gently picked him up and carried him back a couple of hundred feet to a shelter I had just left and gave him a piece of my Snickers Bar for breakfast. The trail is their home, we are their visitors. They are a pain in the ass, no doubt a human health hazzard, but heck, they were there before Earl Schafer, Benton McKay, and even Daniel Boone.
:bse

hiker5
05-20-2005, 08:12
The trail/shelters are their home because we keep bringing them ramen noodles and snickers bars...

neo
05-20-2005, 23:50
i hate rodents:cool: neo

Catsgoing
05-21-2005, 09:27
Neo, I thought that is why your pack is so light. I believed you jet boiled them for breakfast / lunch / & dinner...... <joke>

Doctari
07-17-2005, 20:35
Well, since I last posted there have been some changes, some minor some serious.

Elizabeth is very old, we thought she was less than 1 year old, but now it seems she is nearer to 3 or 4. She has an abcess on her jaw that is being treated with antibiotics. She now lives full time with free run of the house.

Ann may have cancer. She has a new lump between her front legs, that apeared suddenly. The tests &/or surgery are way over our budget, so we are worried, but can do nothing.

Penelope has a lump, but that is unchanged since we got her.

Sugar, Mary, Silk, Shangrila & Tulip are well. They are (still) over fed & spoiled. 7 rats in a "cage" that is large enough for 1,000+ according to a web site "pet rat calculator". And one with free run of a 30' X 30' house (upper floor).

Sugar thinks she can drive, and loves to ride in my van. Usually with her front paws on the steering wheel. She went to visit the vet with Ann, great fun.

I too have been troubled by the shelter mice. Yet, I still dearly love my girls & it greaves me dearly knowing two of my babies are in poor health. I shall never again complain about shelter mice.

Doctari.

Blue Jay
07-17-2005, 20:48
their priorities are: Food, hiding places, water, fun, sleep, companions.

Exact same as mine. I must be (wait for it) a :eek: rat.

saimyoji
07-17-2005, 22:23
She now lives full time with free run of the house.

Do some of your other mice live part time?:-?

Doctari
07-17-2005, 22:47
She now lives full time with free run of the house.

Do some of your other mice live part time?:-?

Uh, that line was supposed to read: She now lives upstairs full time, with free run of the house.

Old age sucks, but it beats the alternative :p

Yes, we have "vermin" that we ALLOW to run free in our house. Ann, Mary & Tulip are allowed brief visits upstairs. The rest do not come when called so they don't get to "Play" upstairs. Sugar is (wisely?) terrified of the cats, so she dosn't want to play in the house proper.

Doctari.

Doctari
07-17-2005, 22:50
Exact same as mine. I must be (wait for it) a :eek: rat.

In our house, being called a rat is a compliment :clap

It do sound like rats have the same prioritys as most humans don't it!

saimyoji
07-17-2005, 23:11
How do you manage their 'wastes?'

Doctari
07-20-2005, 06:57
How do you manage their 'wastes?'

Elizabeth goes in ONE corner of the bathroom on tile, it is dry pellets that we pick up with a bit of TP & flush. BTW, she is not allowed in the kitchen, ever.

The rest go in one corner of the cage, in aspen wood chips. Easy enough to "shovel" out & the plants in the garden love it :)

The bigest problem is the cats, hairballs are NASTY, and they leave them every & anywhere.

Doctari.

Doctari
02-26-2006, 23:56
Penelope & Ann died a few months ago of cancer.
Tulip from unknown causes, around the same time.
Mary shortly after, probably from old age.
They will all be missed.

But, Sadly. Elizabeth died last night (02/25/06) at 2931 (9:31 PM) of Extreme old age. "Lizzy" was at least 5 yars old, or near 100 compared to human terms. Our lives were changed by this 8 Oz bundle of fur. She loved, in order: People, Ginger snaps, Cats, high places, all other Food, Exploring. She did what she could to care for everyone in our house, especially my wife whom Lizzy constantly worried about & would check on at least 5 times a night.
Until her death, she was convinced she was a cat, and, oddly enough, so did the cats, all 5 of them.

I do believe I shall miss her every day for the rest of my life.

Thanks for listning.

Doctari.

hammock engineer
02-27-2006, 00:32
Sad to hear that. Is she the one I saw? That one looked to be a hand full.

Deb
02-27-2006, 08:52
I'm sorry for your loss. Pets add so much to our lives.

Doctari
02-27-2006, 11:25
Sad to hear that. Is she the one I saw? That one looked to be a hand full.

No, that was Sugar, she is indeed a handfull. Lizzy was sleeping (Hey, she was OLD :p ) & no longer liked to be outside.

After you left, Sugar was mad at me, she had thought she was going for a car ride.

Thanks for the sympathy.

Doctari
02-27-2006, 11:26
I'm sorry for your loss. Pets add so much to our lives.

Thanks!!

Doctari.

mindi
05-26-2006, 11:12
I too had pet rats and I know that no matter how short their lives are, they leave a lasting mark on your heart.
My ratties also kept 'stashes' all over the place. Bear was my big fattie, and his favorite food was popcorn. I'm not sure how much of it he ever ate though, he really just liked to hide it.
Calvin was my sweet little hairless, and Crackers the albino. (I called him Stevie Wonder because he swayed back and forth when you talked to him, on account of his bad vision.)
I still miss all of them terribly. Are you planning on getting more?
Mindi
p.s. This is why I won't stay in shelters with people who bring traps.

RITBlake
05-26-2006, 11:35
Sugar, Mary, Silk, Shangrila & Tulip are well. They are (still) over fed & spoiled. 7 rats in a "cage" that is large enough for 1,000+ according to a web site "pet rat calculator". And one with free run of a 30' X 30' house (upper floor).

Doctari you have to post some pictures of this, i would love to what these guys look like.

Toolshed
05-26-2006, 11:41
They can jump UP at least 2x their body length. They can jump for distance 3 - 4 times as long as they are. I have seen Elizabeth drop 7’ onto a concrete floor & run over to climb the shelves again. A fall for me of similar height would be about 58 feet, I am reasonably sure I would not survive.
Common Roof rats are much more adept to heights than the Norway Rat - which can still take a good jump, though.

While mice are a bit more skittish, they are almost totally fearless under certain circumstances (10 Oz rat terrorizing a 16 Lb cat, no he isn’t de-clawed, yes he hunts)
Back in the 70's we'd gas them with Cyanide on large commercial jobs and I have had them come at me when cornered - Kind scary....

They (Rats at least) can eat ANYTHING, and can chew through almost anything. Poison may work on a few, but the rest will soon learn what is killing their friends and avoid the bait.
I have seen time relapse video of a rat chewing through thin steel in 52 nights. One of the new featues in rodenticides came out about 2 decades ago - was the introduction of slow kill baits that would not allow the rodent to associate the meal with death. We also ended using loose bait granular rodenticides and went to bait blocks where we could nail them to studs, joists and anything else to monitor feeding and cust down on replacement material applications due to hoarding (Nothing like seeing 1/2 lb of rodenticide bait stored neatly in a burrow :-? )

We have taught them that food is readily available in/near the shelters, along with fantastic bedding material (wool, poly pro, fleece, etc) and mental challenges (food suspended from tuna cans, etc). From watching the girls, their priorities are: Food, hiding places, water, fun, sleep, companions.

Integrated Pest Management - Reduce Rodenticide and use smart practices and put stres on them. Change the environment - remove all weeds, tall grass, garbage, dirt and anything else that provides cover near your building. remove all sources of water and food and you can effectively eliminate the problem as they will migrate elsewhere.

Doctari
05-26-2006, 11:42
We have decided to "always have rats in the house". Still have: Silk, Shangrila & Sugar. None will ever replace or make up for Elizabeth. We were just commenting a few minutes ago how we missed her daily. She has been gone over 3 months & I still watch were I walk "so I don't step on Lizzy".
The 3 remaining girls, are in a 55 gallon aquarium with a 20 gallon one sitting on top of it, there is no door, they CAN come & go as they please, but in 3 months have never left their home. Right now Sugar is asleep in the "upstairs apartment" Shangrila & Silk are "downstairs". Unlike "Lizzy" the remaining 3 are terrified of cats. Lizzy loved the cats, they loved (& still miss) her. The other 3 will eat anything & have no favorites. Lizzy LOVED Ginger Snaps: I cant eat them anymore, and cartoons, her favorite was "Fosters home for imaginary friends" on Cartoon network, when the theme music would come on, she would come running, sit & watch the entire episode, then go back to what she was doing. Her favorite episode was when Max got sugar. I can't watch Fosters anymore.

Doctari.

PS: I too will not tolerate killing of shelter mice, so I stay elsewhere.