PDA

View Full Version : Piriformis Syndrome

moytoy
08-17-2012, 05:24
Has anyone here ever been diagnosed with periformis syndrome?
I started therapy yesterday for what my doctor seems to think is PS. You can google it to get a good discription but basicly it is when the sciatic nerve is compressed by the periformis muscle. After my doctor ruled out a spine or disc problem the conclusion is that the long walks I take may be contributing to the pain in buttock. I'm just curious if anyone else who walks a lot has had this problem.

rocketsocks
08-17-2012, 05:45
Has anyone here ever been diagnosed with periformis syndrome?
I started therapy yesterday for what my doctor seems to think is PS. You can google it to get a good discription but basicly it is when the sciatic nerve is compressed by the periformis muscle. After my doctor ruled out a spine or disc problem the conclusion is that the long walks I take may be contributing to the pain in buttock. I'm just curious if anyone else who walks a lot has had this problem.Well I didn't know that's what it was called, but yes, I have a big pain in the Honk!, Seriously, I walk quit a bit,every day! That sucks Moy, what does the doctor suggest? I just yesterday picked up a little tool called a jabbernocker, A little red acrylic thing-a-ma-bob that looks like a big jack, that you use to massage a muscle with.

moytoy
08-17-2012, 05:59
My therapy now is an electric shock with heat for 15 min. Then stretching exercises. The exercises are pelvic tilt, curl up stretch ,Knee to chest stretch(unilateral), knee to chest(bilateral), piriformis(supine), and hamstring stretch (standing). Hold the stretching for 10 seconds each and do 5 reps to start. I just finished mine this morning and 5 reps didn't do much for me so I uped my reps to 10. The key here is to rule out a disc problem first.

rocketsocks
08-17-2012, 06:07
that sounds good, think I'll try this.

And since a picture says a thousands words......
17071Here's to hoping my aim be true!!!

rocketsocks
08-17-2012, 06:45
My therapy now is an electric shock with heat for 15 min. Then stretching exercises. The exercises are pelvic tilt, curl up stretch ,Knee to chest stretch(unilateral), knee to chest(bilateral), piriformis(supine), and hamstring stretch (standing). Hold the stretching for 10 seconds each and do 5 reps to start. I just finished mine this morning and 5 reps didn't do much for me so I uped my reps to 10. The key here is to rule out a disc problem first.What did the doctor say about the walking?, and why is it that walking causes it. I know several people who sit all day, and they get it from that, Ive walked 70 miles this week so far, and maybe that's just to much....go figure, it's all about the balance, bummer, I like walking.

Doc Mike
08-17-2012, 06:56
Piriformis syndrome is a cause of Sciatica ( a pain in the buttock that travels down the back of the leg and sometimes around and across the foot). The treatment is stretching, heat, rest then continued exercise. It is basically a pulled muscle that happens to run across the sciatic nerve where it comes out of the pelvis into the buttock area. If not much relief with that then a steroid injection will usually fix the problem.

rocketsocks
08-17-2012, 06:59
Piriformis syndrome is a cause of Sciatica ( a pain in the buttock that travels down the back of the leg and sometimes around and across the foot). The treatment is stretching, heat, rest then continued exercise. It is basically a pulled muscle that happens to run across the sciatic nerve where it comes out of the pelvis into the buttock area. If not much relief with that then a steroid injection will usually fix the problem.Thanks Doc

moytoy
08-17-2012, 07:15
What did the doctor say about the walking?, and why is it that walking causes it. I know several people who sit all day, and they get it from that, Ive walked 70 miles this week so far, and maybe that's just to much....go figure, it's all about the balance, bummer, I like walking.
I'm not sure that the cause can be nailed down to walking. In fact in my case it was probably caused by repititious lifting and twisting but then later aggravated by the walking. Also aggrivated by driving 5 hours every workday. The idea is that my piriformis muscle has tightened up for whatever reason and that the stretching exercises will put me back on my hiking regemin. If you google information for this syndrome you will find reference to long distance runners who have this problem. Also good form and posture while walking may help. I must say here that this is what the doctors think I have. I have had xrays done and they didn't find any problems and suggested I try the therapy before doing MRI. In three weeks after I finish my therapy I may have a better idea of what my problem is (was):) Piriformis syndrome is less often the cause of sciatic pain than disc problems so if you have pain you really need to rule out disc problems before assuming you have PS.

The Cleaner
08-17-2012, 08:39
I've got DJD,DDD,Arthritis&several hammer toes.Walking&backpacking seems to lessen the pain.I just cannot bend over too much.Also sitting at a desk is a no-no.I have to limit my miles but at least I can still get out there....

Edie
08-17-2012, 10:32
I had it a couple of years ago after a long hike, I suffered! Nothing helped, until I took a muscle relaxer and some stretching exercises.

Spirit Walker
08-17-2012, 12:13
It seems to be pretty common among runners. Go to the Runners World site and you'll see dozens of threads in the injury forum about it. Foam rollers seem to help, and stretching exercises.

Buffalo Skipper
08-17-2012, 13:44
I have not been diagnosed with periformis syndrome, but I used to have sciatic pain when I first got back into backpacking a few years ago. The pain began in the butt and worked down my left leg. I have 2 uncles who are chiropractors, and I was treated after each weekend trek. I had an Osprey Aether, but worked on lightening my load. I got down to about 24 lbs in this pack, and the pain was better, but still there. I switched to an ULA Circuit, and got my load down to under 20 lbs. Since I have hiked 100+ miles on 6 or more weekend outings and have had no pain. Not sure if it was the pack or the load (or both) but, frankly, I never found the hip belt on the Osprey comfortable, and I have found the Circuit to be very nice on the hips. I think it was both that helped, but more the pack than just a lighter load alone.

Del Q
08-17-2012, 20:16
YUP!

Was suffering from insane sciatica pain. Couldn't not work out, hike......nothing. Vicodin didn't help the pain 100%

Went onto this website, many thanks to the person who shared info on periformis syndrome...........

Did some research online, then with my Dr, Chiropractor..........1:7 people or 15% the periformis grows AROUND the sciatica nerve. Every time you get up it twists onthe sciatica nerve. Am betting that I am one of those 1:7 that has this,

It is deep, tough to hit with massage.

Hot tub and the periformis stretch worked 100%...............still does.

Tight hamstring muscles also impacts low back pain................for that I stretch and do Yoga

moytoy
08-17-2012, 21:15
Good information all. I'm two days into my therapy so I can't report anything yet but I have high expectations.

gumball
08-18-2012, 06:17
Yes, I have it. Developed as a runner. Advice here about stretching, etc. all good. Its one of those things I've learned to live with. Sitting for long periods of time is often painful and trying to do either a run or a hike without some stretching is not a good idea. Good luck. gum

Just Jack
08-18-2012, 10:55
Had a pain in the A$$ that sounds very much like you are dealing with. Didn't go to the
Doc but self treated by buying new insoles for my shoes. Solved the problem. Hoping that
there is a simple solution for you as well as a speedy recovery.

Del Q
08-18-2012, 20:44
Do the periformis stretch EVERY time before you get up from a sitting position.

Keep your back straight........hold it on each leg for 30-45 seconds, do it at least 2x with each leg......works wonders for me.