PDA

View Full Version : Pearisburg, VA Parking

1peanut
08-17-2012, 09:16
I am planning a section hike in a few weeks around the Pearisburg, VA area. Does anyone out there know anything about the parking area at Stony Creek Valley on VA 635? Will it be safe to leave my car parked there several nights?

HikerMom58
08-17-2012, 15:57
We have left a van there(Stony Creek Valley) for several days about a year ago, it was fine when we got back.

bflorac
08-18-2012, 02:17
You can always park at Woods Hole Hostel (just south of Pearisburg) and have them shuttle you around. It is a great place.

1peanut
08-20-2012, 14:17
I have never been to that hostel (actually I have never been to any hostel) they don't care if you leave your car parked there? Do they have someone available that I could pay to shuttle us around?

bflorac
08-21-2012, 02:51
Yes, you can park there. Yes, you can stay there (bunkhouse or inside). Yes, you can eat there (good food). Yes, they can shuttle you or arrange for a shuttle. They are really there to help you! If you go there, tell them "one boot" says hi!

Pacer
08-21-2012, 13:25
The VA 635 parking area is fairly small and doesn't see a lot of use. It's easy to drive right by it as there's no signage on the road and only a small informational kiosk near the trailhead. I don't think you'd have any issues leaving a vehicle there for a few nights. It's a very scenic road but still doesn't get much traffic.

And as One Boot mentioned, Woods Hole does offer parking and shuttles. The cost of the shuttle may not make sense unless you plan to begin or end your hike there...it's easily an hour's drive from Woods Hole to the VA 635 trailhead. I'm sure they'd put you in touch with a shuttle driver closer to Pearisburg if you haven't already found one.

http://www.woodsholehostel.com/Shuttles.html (http://www.woodsholehostel.com/Shuttles.html)

Trail Bug
08-22-2012, 09:38
Virginia does a poor job of marking the parking areas. Wish it was like PA. That state does it right.

Berserker
08-23-2012, 12:35
Not to hijack this thread, but since it's titled "Pearisburg, VA Parking" I was wondering if there is any parking in Pearisburg itself, or on the North side of town. Anyone got any intel on this?

HikerMom58
08-23-2012, 12:56
Not to hijack this thread, but since it's titled "Pearisburg, VA Parking" I was wondering if there is any parking in Pearisburg itself, or on the North side of town. Anyone got any intel on this?

Hey Berserker... a warm "howdy" from Roanoke! :) You can park at the Rendezvous Motel that is located on the Northwest side of Pearisburg. I would ask them if they would mind you using their "unmarked" portion of their parking lot. We asked them 1 time and they said it was fine. The trail is soo close to that hotel.

Also, a big thumbs up to Woods Hole. They are sooo nice there. You can't go wrong with that place at all. :)

Hope that helped you out, Berserker.

wornoutboots
08-26-2012, 00:20
I just got back from a Pearsiburg to Marion hike. I parked at Woods Hole, great people, Great Hostel & $3 a day to park on their private property. Highly recommend!