PDA

View Full Version : places to camp on proposed loop (willey, field, tom, hale)

jakedatc
08-17-2012, 09:38
I am hoping to do this loop and a short 2 day weekend thing sometime this fall. would go from crawford.. up willey, field and tom then hopefully camp somewhere near Zealand hut? then do Hale and back across along the AT back to the start. Anyone have any ideas on where a good spot would be to camp?

Gray Blazer
08-17-2012, 09:53
The Willeys were my ancestors (obviously not direct ancestors). The hike up Mt. Willey gets pretty steep. The view is rewarding. Can't really help you on where to camp. Usually there are spots near tree level. When I hiked in the Whites and Presidentials, there were campsites everywhere (except above tree level).

Tom Murphy
08-17-2012, 10:40
The first spot would be off the A-Z after you cross Mt Field brook [your water source]. There is an old snowmobile trail that crosses the A-Z and follow that north (a right) a bit.

When you are on Ethan Pond trail and a bit past the junction for the hut, you can go down the slope to the brook and you will find a bunch of heavily used sites. blah.

A bit out of your way but you can also drop down to the whitewall brook at the Zeacliff trail and then head north or south.

Finally a bit more effort is involved since it involves a little bushwhacking and also out of your way but the area where whitewall brook joins the north fork is awesome.

There may be some spots off of the Lend a Hand but not sure...

Chaco Taco
08-20-2012, 20:11
I did this loop from Zealand Falls parking lot to Ethan Pond and over the Twins as a 2 day ball buster. The AZ trail is pretty sweet up and over Tom, Field, and Willey. I did it in the rain and it was rough going down the "ladder" side of Willey. I found the hike to be relatively easy for The Whites. There are good views, just not above treeline. The hike from Ethan Pond is flat to Thoreau Falls and back to Zealand. You have the option of going up to Zeacliffs for the view. Lots of different options on this loop variation. There are some good camp spots past Ethan Pond. Just pay attention to the restrictive areas and the Pemi border.

Just an fyi, with Ethan Pond easily accessible to short hikes, be careful at the tent pads. I found multiple piles of human feces on the ground along the perimeter of the platforms. The shelter is pretty gross as well. The pond is nice and hearing the loons never gets old.

Chaco Taco
08-23-2012, 15:20
Ill actually be up there this weekend, Ill report back to ya

jakedatc
08-23-2012, 16:37
Pretty sure we're talking on both here and BPL now ;) Have a good weekend. weather looks pretty good. I'll be up there but mostly climbing with a day hike mixed in.

Mr. Clean
08-24-2012, 05:59
Check out viewsfromthetop dot com and search the trail forum in NH for info.

Chaco Taco
08-27-2012, 07:14
Just got back last night. There are loads of places to camp. There is a gap of about 3/4 of a mile between Thoreau Falls and Ethan Pond. Just make sure you look for the trails that go back to the legal (100 yard) spots. There are plenty of legals spots in that area if you just look for very light trails. There are unfortunately, heavily used spots that right on the trail that people need to stop using. Once you get up on the ridge there are very few spots to legally stealth because of the thick alpine wilderness. AZ Trail is sweet and has plenty of spots. All the ones TomMurphy stated earlier are there but some are just way overused.

Water was plentiful, late afternoon storms the norm. The views from these 3 are awesome. Parallel the Presi's and its a helluva a view of the ridge.

jakedatc
09-17-2012, 20:19
Got back tonight.. stayed on the side of ____ mtn in a semi established spot that was great and well enough off trail to not notice from the trail. weather was great, bit chilly both mornings and sunday night but nothing my clothing choices couldnt handle.

Chaco Taco
09-19-2012, 05:56
Nice. I was up in the Sandwiches Saturday and it got chilly during and after sunset. Ahh fall is here :)

Chaco Taco
09-19-2012, 05:58
Sunset on Passaconaway looking at the Tripyramids

Gray Blazer
09-19-2012, 07:50
Sunset on Passaconaway looking at the Tripyramids

I like that pic.

jakedatc
09-19-2012, 09:58
Mt washington in clouds Sunday, my camping spot Sunday night.

hikerboy57
09-19-2012, 10:03

try the kedron flume trail up to the willeys, classic wht mtn fun.

jakedatc
09-19-2012, 10:16
That is how I went up. came back down the Ethan allen trail.

Gray Blazer
09-19-2012, 11:28

Was that second one taken from Mt Willey?

jakedatc
09-19-2012, 11:36
Yep, was about 9am or so. clouds hadn't cleared out yet. other views the rest of the day looked awesome to be in the Presi's.. and the whole whites really. monday was also an excellent weather day.

Gray Blazer
09-19-2012, 13:02
Yep, was about 9am or so. clouds hadn't cleared out yet. other views the rest of the day looked awesome to be in the Presi's.. and the whole whites really. monday was also an excellent weather day.

My last name is Willey and, as I said before, the Willeys were my ancestors. My dad and my son and I all hiked up together. Three Willeys on Mt Willey. I don't know what the name of the trail up there was (with the ladder) but it was pretty steep in places.

Gray Blazer
09-19-2012, 13:03
This really gives people a good idea of how steep it is in the Whites!!

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17485&d=1348063019 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=17485&d=1348063019)

jakedatc
09-19-2012, 13:50
My last name is Willey and, as I said before, the Willeys were my ancestors. My dad and my son and I all hiked up together. Three Willeys on Mt Willey. I don't know what the name of the trail up there was (with the ladder) but it was pretty steep in places.

I went up the Kendron flume trail to the Willey ridge trail which is the only way and has the ladders. which are steep but well spaced so being fresh in the AM I cruised up them. If you want steep do (or don't) do the Zeacliff trail between ethan allen and Twinway. 1500' in 1.2mi no stairs AMC guide says don't go up it with a heavy pack haha.

Ya man.. my stakes held great! it was like sleeping in space ;)

somers515
07-12-2015, 18:15
The first spot would be off the A-Z after you cross Mt Field brook [your water source]. There is an old snowmobile trail that crosses the A-Z and follow that north (a right) a bit.

When you are on Ethan Pond trail and a bit past the junction for the hut, you can go down the slope to the brook and you will find a bunch of heavily used sites. blah.

My brother-in-law and I had read this description and the reference to snowmobile trails criss-crossing the A-Z trail in the AMC White Mountain guidebook but didn't see any snowmobile trails at all. Perhaps we were tired and just missed it. Perhaps the snowmobile trails are hard to spot in the summer.

We did find the heavily used Ethan Pond trail spots easily though. They were just beyond the 1/4 mile sign and legal spots which made us happy. Mid-week in July it was just the two of us and two thru-hikers which was nice.

Ethos
07-13-2015, 09:06
I am the brother-in law in question. We were definitely tired, but one of the main problems we had in finding a site was that the Mt. Field brook has about a dozen little branches that cross the trail (at least when we were there in July). So it wasn't clear when to start looking for crossing trails. In any case, we were looking after every crossing brook/stream/trickle. The best prospect for a crossing trail that we saw seemed to be after descending from the Mt. Tom spur, but shortly before one of the earliest brook crossings (traveling E to W).