PDA

View Full Version : Pack Cover or Not?

Turk6177
08-17-2012, 09:50
While recently reading a trail journal, the author stated he used a pack cover in addition to a trash compactor bag. His theory was that a dry backpack with a pack cover was lighter than a water soaked backpack. He also liked to take his pack into his tent with him at night, saying a dry backpack is better in a tent than a wet one.

I have no idea how much more a soaked backpack weighs than a dry one with a pack cover, and if the weight difference is even noticeable. Obviously different cloths used for backpack construction would absorb water differently.

What are your thoughts on this? I was leaning towards just leaving my pack cover home and using the trash compactor bag, but now I am undecided.

The Cleaner
08-17-2012, 09:56
I'd go with a pack cover,make sure it fits right,and put only extra clothes in some kind of dry/stuff bag....

Moose2001
08-17-2012, 10:03
His theory was that a dry backpack with a pack cover was lighter than a water soaked backpack. He also liked to take his pack into his tent with him at night, saying a dry backpack is better in a tent than a wet one.

This is the exact reason why I use a pack cover. It's really personal preference. Will a pack absorb water? Yes. How much? Don't know. I just know what works for me. YMMV.

Spokes
08-17-2012, 10:03
Six of one, half dozen of the other. Boils down to preference.

I prefer a trash compactor bag since I stuff my sleeping bag loose in the bottom of my pack to save space (compression sacks rob precious pack space).

If you decide on using a pack cover be sure it has a weep hole in the bottom. The first time you hike in a hard driving rain you'll understand why. No matter how well they "fit" water will find a way to pool at the bottom.

Pedaling Fool
08-17-2012, 10:07
I don't know why one would use a pack cover and a plastic bag at the same time. Generally speaking wet anything sucks, including packs. However, it's been my experience that packcovers only keep packs dry in a moderate rain, but an all-day rain or a short burst of hard, driving rain renders the packcover useless (as crazy as that may sound).

Packcovers are not waterproof, plastic bags are waterproof, so that is why I'm not sure why he uses both -- in other words, if you're going to go through the trouble of getting a heavy-duty plastic bag and fitting it to your backpack, then why mess with the packcover? The only possible reason I can see is that he uses the packcover to protect the plastic bag.

Personally I use a packcover (I bought it before I knew their fatal flaw) and I just pack all the important stuff in plastic bags, such as dry clothes, sleepingbag, food...

I just never messed with finding a trashbag and fitting it to cover my entire pack. I'll just be wet and miserable, to me there's just something satisfying about being miserable :D

brian039
08-17-2012, 10:16
The trash compactor bags will keep your pack contents dry and a pack cover will keep your backpack dry in light rain. Usually when it rains in the east it's not a light rain, so mostly a pack cover is useless. The pack cover still gets wet when it rains, it just won't absorb water like your pack will so there's going to be some weight savings I'm just not sure how much. And when it's not raining you are carrying dead weight if you have a pack cover.

Spokes
08-17-2012, 10:28
john gault is on to something. If you use a trash compactor bag, fold it properly inside the pack for maximum protection. How?

- Make sure you leave some head room for a good fold (say at least 3 rolls down)
- fold the two outer edges in towards the middle then....
- roll the flap down like rolling down a ziplock bag
- leave enough of the rolled flap to stuff down past the main bag, pushing the flap as far down towards the bottom of the pack as you can.

This type fold will shed water off and away since the seam isn't left exposed on top.

Deadeye
08-17-2012, 16:00
Some things are worth over-doing. When was the last time you heard someone open their pack after a day in the rain and say "Carp... all my stuff is dry again!"

My gear is in sylnylon stuff sacks, and I use a cover, and my umbrella hangs over my pack!

Maddog
08-17-2012, 16:04
Some things are worth over-doing. When was the last time you heard someone open their pack after a day in the rain and say "Carp... all my stuff is dry again!"

My gear is in sylnylon stuff sacks, and I use a cover, and my umbrella hangs over my pack!
+1 I say carp all the time! I use both as well! Maddog:D

Turk6177
08-17-2012, 19:00
Thanks to all. I did experience the pooling water in the bottom of my pack cover during the April tornado storms of a couple years ago in VA. I didn't learn about the compactor bag at that point. Bottom line is it is personal preference, just like the rest of our gear. I'll chance the extra water weight and forego the pack cover. Thanks all and happy hiking.

kayak karl
08-17-2012, 19:15
i decided on the Packa (http://www.thepacka.com/) for my cover, 3ml trash bag for liner. i only use a stuff sack for food, zip-lock for personals.

Lyle
08-17-2012, 19:16
Yes, a pack cover is good.

Double protection - always use a garbage bag inside the pack to keep the "must stay dry" dry - no matter if you use a pack cover or not.

Pack covers DO keep the pack itself dryer than no pack cover, even in an all day rain. Much easier to keep the things dry as you unpack from a pack that had some protection than from one dripping wet.

I agree, the new cover designs that are available now do tend to allow water to collect in the bottom - drain holes help tremendously - ether designed in (few) or added by you.

Papa D
08-17-2012, 20:54
Things in my pack stay in waterproof dry-bags - pack stays covered with a pack cover - it gets a little damp mainly from on and offs but pretty much stays as dry as I do with a rain jacket. I'd certainly recommend one.

Mountain Mike
08-17-2012, 22:14
I like a pack cover & stuff inside my pack stuffed in waterproof sacks/ziplock bags. My pack cover also becomes my laundry/dish washing tub. I even have made a small tub with it & a few resupply boxes on the PCT. A good fit & weep hole are important points when buying one.

DeerPath
08-18-2012, 09:52
i decided on the Packa (http://www.thepacka.com/) for my cover, 3ml trash bag for liner. i only use a stuff sack for food, zip-lock for personals.

I decided on a Packa also, just ordered it this week, should come today. Serves two uses, rain coat and pack cover.

Pedaling Fool
08-18-2012, 10:00
I really don't understand why packcovers are not waterproof. Why not make them out of the same material as shower caps? I use shower caps to keep my camera case dry, I keep case/camera attached to my shoulder strap.

Tacky Hiker
08-21-2012, 18:13
I have used pack covers in the past but if it rains hard your pack still gets wet. I suggest a trash compactor bag.

The Cleaner
08-21-2012, 18:57
On winter hikes when there may be miles of snowdowns(low hanging branches loaded with snow) a pack cover will keep snow from getting on all the gear lashed to my pack.When trailside camping I hang,or tie ,my pack to a tree and cover it with my pack cover just in case of overnite rain....

cmich
10-28-2012, 22:35
Just a personal preference but I like to have a pack cover in addition to a compactor bag for my clothes and quilts. I like to keep everything as dry as humanly possible. For the extra ounce the zpacks cuben fiber pack cover is just plain nice to have, it keeps the pack and whatever is in the outside pockets dry.

Mountain Mike
10-28-2012, 22:54
Pack cover doing double dudy as a sink doing laundry on the trail http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=50339&catid=member&imageuser=8484

Starchild
10-29-2012, 08:06
I like having the option for a pack cover, it is part of a layering system to keep water out. A soaked pack may not get though the plastic compactor bag or water tight bags but there is plenty of stuff not in there.

Quick grab clothes such as the pack cover itself, rain hat, rain gear and a fleece I pack in another section. The tent does not make it in the compactor bag, the food bag sits ontop of the compactor bag. Trail lunch, first aid, electronics bag, tp in ziplock, and I'm sure lots of odds and ends sit in it's own section. All these pieces have the potential to get water to seep in deep inside the pack and 1 make the pack heavier, 2 make it damper and less confortable and 3 make things wetter longer as it takes longer to dry if the water really gets deep inside. Being able to block most of the water with a pack cover will typically keep things dryer 'deep down inside'. Ideally I like the concept of the hiker+pack poncho but it is also less versatile.

So even in conditions when you have a soaking rain I still feel the pack cover may still be able to provide a benefit.

I really don't understand why packcovers are not waterproof. Why not make them out of the same material as shower caps? I use shower caps to keep my camera case dry, I keep case/camera attached to my shoulder strap.

My take on it goes along with the old NASA saying:
Lightweight, durable, waterproof - chose 2

magic_game03
10-30-2012, 23:06
I use a trash bag (heavy duty, light duty, compactor doesn't matter to me really) on the inside and then I use my MSR Huba tent fly as a pack cover. The fly isn't perfect but keeps copious amounts of rain from drenching my pack. Because it hangs loose at the bottom it doesn't fill with water like a pack cover. I keep it strapped down with a bit of 4mil cordage that I use for my gaiters, food hanging, and other needs. It also helps to have the fly ready for camp and if I need to stop for a break I will have something ready for a quick cover. I hate pack covers with weep holes, they are always just perfectly placed over the back of my legs, it's very irritating to have the water drip on me.

cabbagehead
10-31-2012, 15:59
Trash bags are inconvenient. Use a pack cover and dry bags for things at the bottom of the pack. Every once in a while, put your pack in a washing machine.

Bucho
11-01-2012, 00:22
What are your thoughts on this? I was leaning towards just leaving my pack cover home and using the trash compactor bag, but now I am undecided.

I didn't really feel like my pack soaked up much water in any of the places that a pack cover covers. The issue I've always run into is putting holes in my trash bags. I don't do dry sacks so the pack cover is my second layer of defense to make up for any holes. It's also nice for keeping that side of your pack kind of dry if you're bringing it into the tent. And to set it down on if you're going to leave the pack in a mud puddle under the vestabule over night.

That said I've been thinking about getting a pack liner instead of a trash bag and trying to ditch the pack cover.