PDA

View Full Version : Woody Gap to Neels Gap

Homosassa
08-17-2012, 19:42
Planning on a hike from Woody Gap to Neels Gap in late November. Me and my son who are beginners in good physical shape. Suggestions on time allowed for this hike. Are there views on this hike or are there others we should consider. I have never been to this area.

Papa D
08-17-2012, 20:15
You should enjoy your hike - it's about 10 miles - I would expect most people (esp in good shape) to be able to do it in a light day. have fun

FatMan
08-17-2012, 20:16
Are you looking to overnight or day hike? It's a full day hike. Or you can do two short days and stay at Woods Hole shelter or at any of the many campsites along the way. Great views on Big Cedar and Blood. But lots of views along the way as the leaves will be down.

Homosassa
08-17-2012, 20:18
I planned on a day hike, even if it takes all day. I am so looking forward to this !

Papa D
08-17-2012, 20:20
Are you looking to overnight or day hike? It's a full day hike. Or you can do two short days and stay at Woods Hole shelter or at any of the many campsites along the way. Great views on Big Cedar and Blood. But lots of views along the way as the leaves will be down.

You should be able to hike in to Woods Hole on a Friday or Saturday afternoon, camp there (or tent at many other tent-sites) and easily get to Neels the next day. The good folks at Mountian Crossings will be happy to shuttle you for a small fee too.

Homosassa
08-17-2012, 20:22
If you have a suggestion on a good campsite that would be good. I have a few days to unwind.

Papa D
08-17-2012, 20:30
If you have a suggestion on a good campsite that would be good. I have a few days to unwind.

There are several spots in this area with water (streams) and established campsites - - I can't remember the mileage to the exact one - - maybe someone else (?) - - how old is your son? maybe you could tackle a bit more?

Homosassa
08-17-2012, 20:46
17 and he is in very good shape. A bit more would be fine.

joshuasdad
08-17-2012, 22:18
Check the bear canister rules if you camp anywhere near blood mountain (including about 4 miles before it). I would day hike it. Neels to Woody would be more enjoyable, steep up at beginning (but it beats a steep down at the end).

max patch
08-18-2012, 08:10
Don't need bear canisters in November. And never need them if just day hiking.

A couple of the best views you can't see from the white blazed trail - you'll see a couple spur trails that you'll need to turn right on (Woody to Neels) for a real short distance to the overlooks.

Personal preference, but I'd go Woody to Neels.

Shack
08-18-2012, 09:09
should be a nice hike, did springer to Gooch Gap with my son in june. couple things I did wrong that I would change
1 I practice hiking anywhere from 10 to 15 mile hikes, would change that to doing more hills and lighten up my pack
mine was 44#. we did that in 3 1/2 days.
planning on going back down sept 6 thru the 10 starting at gooch going as far as we can,
good luck with your hike

OldManWalking
08-18-2012, 10:42
Lance creek at mile 23 about 3 miles north of woody gap has 4 or five tent pads near the creek and very close to the, trail.