PDA

View Full Version : favorite places we hike

neo
04-30-2005, 23:37
we all love the AT,but alot of us live far from it,some of us not far,just wanted to hear from other white blazer what some of their favorite places are to backpack in their home state when not on the AT,:cool: NEO

Big Dawg
05-01-2005, 07:25
Hanging Rock State Park trails,, Black Mountain trails-(especially the Crest Trail), MST-(Mountains to Sea Trail),, to name a few!!:sun

NICKTHEGREEK
05-01-2005, 08:55
Lots of folks will diagree, but above Seneca, week days in early spring and late fall it's like having your own private preserve. It's beautiful with lots of history, nice designated campsites with water and privies and FLAT. It's ultra crowded in the summer particularly on weekends, and the bike riders can be a pain, but I love it. The extra advantge for me is that I can take the subway from my house in VA to DC and then take the train to Harpers Ferry or Brunswick. Even getting there and back is relaxing.

Massanutten in VA has great views, almost endless combinations of trails to link together and just enough ups n downs for me. You can spend a couple of weeks wandering aimlessly from vista to vista. The area is pretty well mapped and PATC was a decent guide book.

neo
05-01-2005, 09:14
one of my favorite places to hike is hobbs cabin at savage gulf in tenn:cool: neo

Two Speed
05-01-2005, 09:45
Haven't hiked the whole length of any of these trails, but the sections I've seen have made me want to.

Georgia:

Benton McKaye Trail

Bartram Trail

Georgia Pinhoti Trail
(Although the section of the GA Pinhoti that I'm familiar with does seem to be disproportionately impacted by mountain bikers. Guess they gotta go somewhere. :rolleyes: )

Alabama:

Alabama Pinhoti Trail
(Oddly enough, the 'Bama Pinhoti appears to be better maintained and laid out than the Georgia section. :eek: )

Great part (for me) is that some section of all these trails is within two hours drive of my home. :clap

Mags
05-01-2005, 16:39
I love the southern San Juans..talk about gorgeous mountains! Going off trail made it feel really remote.

Of course, my "backyard" mountains in the Indian Peaks Wilderness is special. In less than an hour, I can be on a trailhead that ultimately leads to the Continental Divide.

Life is good!

Stoker53
05-01-2005, 17:07
Virgin Falls Pocket Wilderness - TN
Shining Rock Wilderness - NC
Savage Gulf - TN ( Neo is right on touting the N. Rim Trail to Hobbs Cabin - beautiful trail )
Big South Fork Nat Rec Area - TN/KY
Frozenen Head - TN
Fires Creek - NC

wlvn1
05-01-2005, 17:08
Most of it isn't mountians, but the Palmetto Trail here in SC is due to be completed in a year or so. The trail runs from the (sort of...) mountains at the North-West corner of the state into the Low Country (Coastal area) It's not the AT, but the sections I've been on are scenic in a different way. Not much strenuous hiking involved. On the other hand:

The Ridge Trail at Mt. Mitchell, NC -Oxygen? Who needs to breathe?

Rough Ridge (off the Blue Ridge Parkway, also in NC) Short but beautiful.

Benton McKaye

Lilred
05-01-2005, 17:50
Virgin Falls Pocket Wilderness - TN
Shining Rock Wilderness - NC
Savage Gulf - TN ( Neo is right on touting the N. Rim Trail to Hobbs Cabin - beautiful trail )
Big South Fork Nat Rec Area - TN/KY
Frozenen Head - TN
Fires Creek - NC

Gotta go along with the Virgin Falls in TN. Also at Savage Gulf is the Stone Door trail. Just got back a little while ago from an overnighter there. Very nice. Looks like I'll have to check out the N.Rim Trail to Hobbs Cabin.

halibut15
05-01-2005, 18:01
I'm surprised not to see the SC Foothills Trail on here yet. That sure is an amazing trail, even though I haven't hiked it all (yet). Got just a little of everything there. The NC Bartram is another one I'll add on there, the section through the Fishhawks being my favorite.

Happypappy
05-01-2005, 18:03
I live only about 5 minutes from the AT, yet oddly enough, most of my trips are in the Pine Creek Gorge area, aka Pennsylvaina Grand Canyon. I find myself making the trip there about half a dozen times a year. Entirely too much up and down walking for my taste, but the area is just beautiful.

jackiebolen
05-01-2005, 21:19
My favorites place is: Kananaskis Country in the Canadian Rockies. Only an hour from Calgary and not an overpriced tourist trap like Banff.

Scrunchy
05-01-2005, 21:37
I'm like a lot of others who posted... Shining Rock Wilderness, the Bartram Trail, the Crest Trail, the MST are favorites, along with the Chattooga River Trail and the Art Loeb. I'm lucky that I live about an hour from any of these places.

TDale
05-01-2005, 21:47
The Cohutta Wilderness.

Bolo
05-12-2005, 11:20
Recent article on opening of Jocassee Georges section of the Palmetto Trail:

http://www.thestate.com/mld/thestate/11625054.htm

Mtn. bikes vs hikers? Who leaves no trace? Hard to believe there's a debate here.

kentucky99
05-12-2005, 12:51
well in ky theirs the red river gorge,cumberland falls ,shaltee trace trail 200 miles of the daniel boone nat.forest,very nice,of course the cumberland gap area,ky:welcome

The Hog
05-12-2005, 14:32
Good thread, good question! I live in NE VT, about an hour from the White Mtns in New Hampshire. I've hiked the AT thru the Whites twice (it's a fantastic stretch of trail), but there are many, many other trails in the Whites just as good. Some have incredible blueberries and killer swimming holes. I have yet to have a 'bad' hike in the Whites.

gr8fulyankee
05-12-2005, 15:31
One of my favorites of all time would be Mt. Chocorua in NH . Three main trails up the mountain and all are awesome. Plus you have the Jim Liberty cabin.
http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/whites/jimliberty.html
http://www.mountainsummits.com/pictures/newhampshire/chocorua/

squirrel bait
05-12-2005, 22:40
Nags Head Woods and/or Buxton Woods here on the Outer Banks. Buxton Woods being part of the Mountains to Sea Trail.