PDA

View Full Version : Hot Springs to Erwin in January?

Astro
08-18-2012, 16:24
Considering section hiking from Hot Springs, NC to Erwin, TN the first week of January. The average month temperatures in those two towns is 27/38 degrees (and of course those are the low elevations of 1,326 and 1,700, with it geeting up to 5,516 in between). Of course I will have to see closer to this what the actuall temperatures will be, along with snow/ice forecast.
Is this crazy?
Or probably doable as long as plenty of warm clothes/gear and not during a blizzad?
Is it a good assumption that I will probably not see anyone else out there at this time?

Thanks for the input!

Astro
08-18-2012, 16:26
Edit: Temps 27/48

moldy
08-18-2012, 17:56
This is doable. It will be cold. If there is a big storm in the forecast, I would not go. A few miles South of Jerry Cabin Shelter you will come to a blue blaze trail that say's "bad weather trail". When you get to that spot and the weather is bad, take the blue blaze. If you don't you will end up on this exposed ridge where you will be jumping from one bolder to the next for a couple of miles. On this trip, if the weather is good you will not be alone.

The Cleaner
08-18-2012, 18:11
Last fall and the first few months this year when I was at&going by Jerry's Cabin on maintenance trips I met hikers on every trip.I met the last 2011 SOBO, then the next trip I met the first 2012 NOBO.....seems like there are more hikers out the last few years...

10-K
08-18-2012, 18:12
It's a great hike, go for it... Stop in a Hemlock Hollow for a cup of hot coffee and some soup and a sandwich if it's really cold.

The Cleaner
08-18-2012, 18:23
It's a great hike, go for it... Stop in a Hemlock Hollow for a cup of hot coffee and some soup and a sandwich if it's really cold. It would be a good idea to call HH a few days before your trip as their "off season " are subject to change.They told me that the hostel/cabins are always open for hikers but the kitchen may be closed.....

Papa D
08-18-2012, 18:50
I did this section in February of this year in the snow - lots of fun - assuming you like solitude, hiking in colder temps and snow, you'll be fine - probably not too much post-holing - depths were between 0 (in Hot Springs and Erwin and and 5" for me. +1 to Hemlock Hollow (Log Cabin Road) - check out the 200 year old stove that they use to cook on in their house.

Papa D
08-18-2012, 18:51
It's a great hike, go for it... Stop in a Hemlock Hollow for a cup of hot coffee and some soup and a sandwich if it's really cold.

Hey 10K - did you finish the LT? What did you think?

10-K
08-19-2012, 15:25
Hey 10K - did you finish the LT? What did you think?

All done and back in Erwin. The Long Trail is a beast.... :)

I think I could only recommend hiking it SOBO because I'm a big believer in doing the hard stuff first. Plus, it's more fun to march out of hell than into hell... :)

Chaco Taco
08-21-2012, 12:13
All done and back in Erwin. The Long Trail is a beast.... :)

I think I could only recommend hiking it SOBO because I'm a big believer in doing the hard stuff first. Plus, it's more fun to march out of hell than into hell... :)

Congrats by the way. I never made it out because of starting my own business. Anyway, glad to see you made it