PDA

View Full Version : Homeless Camp Near Clarks Ferry

ljcsov
08-19-2012, 00:18
On a hike today, I came across a homeless camp near the Clarks Ferry shelter by the junction of the AT and Susquehanna trails. The individual has a large tent set up with a clothes line holding up jeans and bath towels, leading me to believe they are using the campsite for a residence. Others informed me that a man in jeans, note this was a hot day, was laying in the shelter without any gear. This leads me to believe that the person inhabiting the camp may be hanging around the shelter in an attempt to bum supplies. Hopefully the ridge runner finds this person and solves the issue. I would hate for a hiking planning to stay at the shelter to be possibly hassled by this person for any reason.

Anyway, just a heads up for anyone planning on making camp in the area.

Bronk
08-19-2012, 04:13
Thanks for the heads up!

This is really too funny for words.

HikerMom58
08-19-2012, 07:41
Thanks for the heads up!

This is really too funny for words.

This is NOT funny. I don't know what you mean by that remark. Thanks for the heads up ljcsov. It's really helpful info. BTW... If you get some snarky comments about this thread... IGNORE them. I so wish I had......

WingedMonkey
08-19-2012, 08:44
I'm sure going to avoid that part of the trail. I'm very afraid of men in jeans with big tents. There is no telling what they might attempt to ask me for.

HikerMom58
08-19-2012, 09:33
Don't worry about what other people think.... they don't do it very often.

atmilkman
08-19-2012, 09:44
If someone has done something illegal on the trail it will more than likely be pointed out and addressed. As far as bumming money or food or whatever there's always the word no, and if need be NO NO NO. Pretty simple.

HikerMom58
08-19-2012, 10:11
I wish this site had a like and dislike feature, on the comments. Thumbs up to your comment atmilkman. I don't know why,(:eek:) but I'm feeling a lil protective over this thread...I think I need to chill.... having said that, tho.. I can totally relate to the OP of this thread. I'm right there. No judging here, just reporting facts of a situation observed... nothing wrong with that. We're good. Some people won't care or have any kind of reaction to the facts observed, that's fine 2 but we are all wired differently & so it comes down to respecting other people that feel differently about things than you do.

kayak karl
08-19-2012, 10:17
ljcsov and hikermonkd, yous need to learn that the homeless (your word not mine) have a right to be on the trail. by your own words he have done nothing illegal or even begged yet. please try to learn to not look down on them and accept them a person. hey, i doing my best to accept that people like you are on the trail. :)

KK

scree
08-19-2012, 10:28
I'm glad those two were able to make a connection so early in the thread. Separated at birth? Long lost trail buddies?

HikerMom58
08-19-2012, 10:39
ljcsov and hikermonkd, yous need to learn that the homeless (your word not mine) have a right to be on the trail. by your own words he have done nothing illegal or even begged yet. please try to learn to not look down on them and accept them a person. hey, i doing my best to accept that people like you are on the trail. :)

KK

We aren't looking down on anyone... where are you getting that from our posts?(and you're not alone) As far as having a right to be on the trail... living on the trail? You will have to take that up with someone other than myself. I have no idea what the laws are, on that piece. Thanks for trying to accept us. :) I have no prob. with you at all. :) I might not like snarky comments but that's as far as it goes. I accept your feelings, I just don't like to be unfairly judged. What does it take for you all to determine that someone's behavior seems odd and worth mentioning? I think that's the issue at hand here.

HikerMom58
08-19-2012, 10:40
I'm glad those two were able to make a connection so early in the thread. Separated at birth? Long lost trail buddies?

Yup, I can relate....you can't. So what?

scree
08-19-2012, 11:28
Yup, I can relate....you can't. So what?

I just don't like to be unfairly judged.

HikerMom58
08-19-2012, 11:34
I just don't like to be unfairly judged.

How so? That's the problem with this form of communication...I'm sorry if I unfairly judged you. I stand corrected.

T-Rx
08-19-2012, 11:46
We aren't looking down on anyone... where are you getting that from our posts?(and you're not alone) As far as having a right to be on the trail... living on the trail? You will have to take that up with someone other than myself. I have no idea what the laws are, on that piece. Thanks for trying to accept us. :) I have no prob. with you at all. :) I might not like snarky comments but that's as far as it goes. I accept your feelings, I just don't like to be unfairly judged. What does it take for you all to determine that someone's behavior seems odd and worth mentioning? I think that's the issue at hand here.

+1HikermomKD. We are not judging people here. We are promoting safe hiking by making people aware of their surroundings. One of the greatest threats to a hikers safety can come from other people. As has been said in this forum many times, be aware, trust your gut instincts and if an individual makes you uncomfortable then move on.

TD55
08-19-2012, 11:56
You could ju.st give the hungry guy a 25 cent pack of noodles and move on.

HikerMom58
08-19-2012, 12:00

Yes Sir and I've done that before and more! :)

Thanks T-Rx, that's what I believe as well.

Eighty-Eight
08-19-2012, 12:07
Once upon a time, before the internet, there was a sheriff in GA who had a local homeless person that he was tired of, so he put the fellow and his five-gallon bucket full of stuff to the AT and told him to walk N. I heard later that the guy made it at least into NH, but i've always wondered if he progressed beyond the bucket, and if hiking the AT was always on his list of things to do.

HikerMom58
08-19-2012, 12:29
Hummm.... I wonder. I'm proud of him for making it up to NH. That story ranks right up there with another story I heard, on here, where parents of a young boy decided he needed to grow up so they got all the things he needed to hike the trail. They took him to GA and told him to call them when he was finished hiking the trail. I wonder how far he got but i think he was liking it. He told that story when someone asked about his trail name.... I think his trail name was "dropped off" or something like that. I love the trail and all the people on it. They all have "stories" to share. :)

Pedaling Fool
08-19-2012, 13:35
No, not without him first removing some rocks from the trail, specifically in the direction I'm walking.

Lone Wolf
08-19-2012, 13:47
Once upon a time, before the internet, there was a sheriff in GA who had a local homeless person that he was tired of, so he put the fellow and his five-gallon bucket full of stuff to the AT and told him to walk N. I heard later that the guy made it at least into NH, but i've always wondered if he progressed beyond the bucket, and if hiking the AT was always on his list of things to do.
he got a pack at kincora thanks to bob peoples

kayak karl
08-19-2012, 15:03
+1HikermomKD. We are not judging people here. We are promoting safe hiking by making people aware of their surroundings. One of the greatest threats to a hikers safety can come from other people. As has been said in this forum many times, be aware, trust your gut instincts and if an individual makes you uncomfortable then move on.
so, this person is unsafe? how is he a danger to me?

tridavis
08-19-2012, 15:07
Hmmmmm.......seems last week people were pretty adamant about homless people not being a trail problem and then this week there is another. What will happen in the next few weeks, months or even years??? Seems it might become a problem to me, but for all that defend these people and say they are just down on thier luck, why not invite them home if they are such fine outstanding citizens. That way you could take care of the problem and help a fellow "hiker" out.

TD55
08-19-2012, 15:29
He isn't. Folks here posting on many of these threads are afraid of the unknown and unfamiliar. Plus they want to change the trail into their fantasy perception. There have always been homeless on the trail. There have always been an assortment of strange and different individuals. People who can't accept that don't belong, or at least shoudn't be on the AT. Sometimes folks here remind me of the city and suburban folks who move to the country to "get away from it all", and than complain the first time they smell fertilizer.

HikerMom58
08-19-2012, 15:41

I don't know how T-Rx will respond to you KK but this is my response. Question for ya... Do you think that it is possible for any individual, on the trail or not, living on this planet that could make you feel uncomfortable, give you a funny feeling or give off a wierd vibe? Do you believe these people even exist? If the answer is yes, then how would you handle a situation like that. It wouldn't matter if that person lived in a castle, shack or had no home at all, would it? If you could observe his/her living conditions and general behavior it would simply give you knowledge, correct? We all gather knowledge and share it. YOu can take it or leave it. No one should be judged for sharing information and no one here is making any judgments about this person... just stating facts. Why do you have a problem with that? No one is saying he is a danger to you or anyone else. T-Rx is simply stating that IF someone WERE to make you feel uncomfortable then move on. If someone, on here, met someone that made THEM feel uncomfortable they have a right to share it without judgement, as long as they were not judging themselves which this OP was NOT doing.

Lone Wolf
08-19-2012, 15:44
this is a non-issue. he has a right to be out there

Pedaling Fool
08-19-2012, 15:52
Sometimes folks here remind me of the city and suburban folks who move to the country to "get away from it all", and than complain the first time they smell fertilizer.Yeah, but you gotta admit that the fertilzer around the Eastern shore (DELMARVA) is especially pungent. I can deal with horse/cow manure all day, but that pig/chicken shlt is just awful:D

TD55
08-19-2012, 15:52
Judgement is made by the mere fact that someone thinks a heads up is needed because a certin kind of person is spotted on the trail. Anyone who doesn't want to be around homeless people should know where they hang out and stay away. Sometimes some of them hang out on the AT. If you got a problem with that, stay away from the AT. They belong there and you don't.

TD55
08-19-2012, 15:54
Yeah, but you gotta admit that the fertilzer around the Eastern shore (DELMARVA) is especially pungent. I can deal with horse/cow manure all day, but that pig/chicken shlt is just awful:D

It smells like.........VICTORY

FatMan
08-19-2012, 15:55
ljcsov, I would recommend that if you have concerns that you report this to the local hiking club and the controlling law enforcement agency. They will check this person out and decide whether they are in violation of any codes. I know down here the Forest Service has restrictions on how long a person can squat in any area. History shows Whiteblaze is not the place to make this kind of notice.

FatMan
08-19-2012, 16:29
Judgement is made by the mere fact that someone thinks a heads up is needed because a certin kind of person is spotted on the trail. Anyone who doesn't want to be around homeless people should know where they hang out and stay away. Sometimes some of them hang out on the AT. If you got a problem with that, stay away from the AT. They belong there and you don't.This is a ridiculous post. Forget the fact that the OP used the term homeless. Chances are he/she simply felt the person was out of place and gave them the creeps. I ran into Gary Hilton squatting at campsites two times in my neck of the woods and I still kick myself in the azz for not reporting it to authorities. We all need to give a heads up when we get that feeling. Whiteblaze is probably not the right place as there is nothing we can do but make stupid arguments one wary or the other. But the proper agencies should be advised. I hate the idea that so many of you are giving the impression that we should all just ignore situations where a person on the trail raises our concern.

HikerMom58
08-19-2012, 16:46
I really hope that people are never discouraged from giving others a heads up about anything they want too. You guys can tell us how YOU think we are responding to a situation and how WE FEEL- all you want too, but it doesn't make it true. Lies, lies, lies....especially the one about smelling fertilizer. THAT is FUNNY!!! :D While it's true we can't do anything about the situation and we really don't need too. It's nice to have knowledge. This knowledge crawls all over some people, now who's problem is that?

Kryptonite
08-19-2012, 16:48
Judgement is made by the mere fact that someone thinks a heads up is needed because a certin kind of person is spotted on the trail. Anyone who doesn't want to be around homeless people should know where they hang out and stay away. Sometimes some of them hang out on the AT. If you got a problem with that, stay away from the AT. They belong there and you don't.

"They belong there and you don't??" What a moronic statement! The AT is for HIKER'S - not for squatters taking up a permanent residence! I don't have a problem with the homeless and contribute to shelters, but on the trail unless I have extra - I'm going to say no if those 25 cent noodles are all I have. FACT: A larger segment of the homeless population is unstable as compared to "normal society." They are off their meds, alcoholic, etc. Even the homeless themselves will tell you this! Not judging them and feel compassion for them, but I also am going to feel less than comfortable as a single woman if it is pouring buckets outside and it is only the two of us in a shelter somewhere. I agree that everyone should stop acting so high and mighty about the homeless. Either invite them home with you or contribute to shelters to make their lives better, but while they should be treated with dignity - that doesn't give them the right to take up residency on the trail. And it still means that until a single hiker (male or female) can ascertain that this homeless person is thinking/behaving rationally - it is best to give them a wide berth. If you are with a group - this generally isn't an issue.

kayak karl
08-19-2012, 16:53
ljcsov, I would recommend that if you have concerns that you report this to the local hiking club and the controlling law enforcement agency. They will check this person out and decide whether they are in violation of any codes. I know down here the Forest Service has restrictions on how long a person can squat in any area. History shows Whiteblaze is not the place to make this kind of notice.

i do agree, if you have concerns they should be reported to the proper authorities. the problem i have, is the OP never met this person. he was "creeped out" by the tent, jeans and towel. also the word "homeless" is being thrown around way too much. to single out a person like this is judging them.

Kryptonite
08-19-2012, 17:06
i do agree, if you have concerns they should be reported to the proper authorities. the problem i have, is the OP never met this person. he was "creeped out" by the tent, jeans and towel. also the word "homeless" is being thrown around way too much. to single out a person like this is judging them.

Kayak -Can't recall exactly, but didn't you say you were homeless for awhile? I don't think anyone is saying that the homeless should not be treated with compassion. But an estimated 40-45% of the homeless suffer from mental illness and or alcohol/drug problems. The hiking community needs to be aware of this and everyone needs to get that chip off their shoulder and stop acting like people are insulting their relatives or something. I greatly believe that the homeless should be helped and that is why I donate to two shelters, but statistics should not be ignored. Hikers should be somewhat cautious. I am not suggesting that they are pariahs, but hikers hiking ALONE need to be careful.

TD55
08-19-2012, 17:15
Call my comments ridiculous and moronic if you want. This thread stinks of discimination and stereotyping of a class of people who have just as much right to be on the trail as anyone else. A large percentage of homeless are veterans and I've seen how even veterans are slammed here. Fact is the very first thru hiker was a ptsd vet from WWII and for all intents, a homeless guy. You want to call some authority about something, thats on you and you have every right to do that. Coming on a forum like this to allegedly give other hikers a "heads up" is BS. Take the fear and hate some place else.

HikerMom58
08-19-2012, 17:23
I don't have a problem with the word homeless at all.... I would be the first to admit it, if it happened to me. There is NO SHAME. Not now, not ever. I felt like I was nearly homeless when 6 of us had to live in a tiny 2 bedroom trailer, in NH, when I was growing up. I don't care about houses & homes. I really wish I could live on the AT, myself, sometimes. I LOVE being outside. It's more about WHY someone is not able to live in a permanant dwelling....

kayak karl
08-19-2012, 17:33
Kayak -Can't recall exactly, but didn't you say you were homeless for awhile?
yep and the thing i hated the most was how i was treated. either people made no eye contact or they pitted me. either way they looked down on me. i stayed in the city and worked my way out of it. i still work with the homeless, but people still some look at me and say, "its so nice they gave you this job and let you work here" then they tip me :)
do be cautious, use your street smarts and have fun.

HikerMom58
08-19-2012, 17:43
yep and the thing i hated the most was how i was treated. either people made no eye contact or they pitted me. either way they looked down on me. i stayed in the city and worked my way out of it. i still work with the homeless, but people still some look at me and say, "its so nice they gave you this job and let you work here" then they tip me :)
do be cautious, use your street smarts and have fun.

Oh, I understand. I knew we were hitting a nerve and this is it... thanks for sharing KK. You have some actual skin in this post, with the "word". My hats off to you, buddy. Thank you so much for sharing. :)

ljcsov
08-19-2012, 17:51
Seriously??

Not in anyway did I judge this individual by using the term "homeless". Some people truly need to grow up and find some real things to gripe about. I do not have any problem with people who are homeless, but I simply wanted to give people a heads up. On numerous occasions in cities I have stopped and bought food for homeless people to help them out. I hope this person finds some help and can establish a stable and steady life, especially find a comfortable place to live for a long term basis.

Originally, I am not from central Pennsylvania but the more urbanized eastern section. In a more densely populated area, we have had issues with homeless people trespassing and creating camps in the woods. The main issue isn't that they pose any true risk to anyone else, but they run into problems with people vandalizing their camps, or even worse, assaulting them. Hopefully someone can help this guy find a safer place to reside at, not off a trail neighboring train tracks, a commuter lot, and a busy highway. Moreover, where I am from we have had issues with homeless drug addicts seeking refuge in the woods. Having known people who have fought serious addictions, those suffering from these plights can become aggressive or steal when going through withdrawal. Only a few months back I was hiking the AT near home and found a "sketchy" camp that was littered with foil packets that once contained methadone tablets. In general, I feel that these types of homeless people can pose a risk to others, especially when going through withdrawal. From what I noticed, there is nothing wrong with this person living on this area of the trail. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the ridge runner eventually informs the authorities about him squatting right on the trail.

Additionally, I can see where a woman or novice hiker would feel uncomfortable with a non-hiker person hanging around a shelter. In a worst case scenario, someone may mistakenly perceive them as a threat and ignite a confrontational situation. With many people traveling the woods armed, I would hate for an unfortunate situation to unfold. I figured by posting here people who may be using that shelter could be prepared for the situation and not startled or alarmed.

I thought this would be a kind gesture to inform people spending the night in this area only to give them awareness, not to spark controversy. Hopefully, the guy hanging at the camp can find a safer place to live before it gets too cold. I hike this area frequently and if I run into him I'll be sure to ask him if he needs anything.

Kryptonite
08-19-2012, 17:57
Call my comments ridiculous and moronic if you want. This thread stinks of discimination and stereotyping of a class of people who have just as much right to be on the trail as anyone else. A large percentage of homeless are veterans and I've seen how even veterans are slammed here. Fact is the very first thru hiker was a ptsd vet from WWII and for all intents, a homeless guy. You want to call some authority about something, thats on you and you have every right to do that. Coming on a forum like this to allegedly give other hikers a "heads up" is BS. Take the fear and hate some place else.

When you ignore statistics of 40-45% of mentally ill or alcohol/drug abusers - YES!! It is ridiculous and moronic to say that is discrimination and stereotyping! Then throw out the word "veteran" and let's all be politically correct and start singing "God Bless America!" "Fear and hate?" I can honestly say that I have probably donated more to the homeless this year alone than you have done in your lifetime so don't go judging the rest of us for using common sense! Put your money where your mouth is like I do instead of preaching to everyone! The fact remains that a certain segment of the homeless population can be dangerous and anti-social! Are all homeless like this? Definitely not! Everyone should be treated with respect and compassion, but don't be stupid or afraid to listen to that inner voice when you are on the trail alone. No one should be ashamed for being smart!

And Kayak - I'm sorry but I do pity the homeless. I can't help it. Because I always think, "that there but for the grace of God, go I." I never look down on the homeless and treat everyone with respect, but it is a sad, sad situation and happening to more and more people. I am truly happy that you are doing well.

TD55
08-19-2012, 18:24
You got no idea what you are talking about Krptonite. Your what we call a racer. You talk so fast that your words get ahead of you. You just judged me and my contributions to the homeless community. You insinuate that I through out the veteran issue as some kind of tool. Your a poor judge and offering and opinion is not preaching. What you do is preach sir. If someone disagrees with you you come back over and over and over with continuous post saying the same thing, over and over and over. BTW, I operated and funded a veterans retreat from 1976 to 1988 in Elkton, MD and operated and funded a veterans guest house in northern VA outside of Washington, DC from 1988 to 1995.

T.S.Kobzol
08-19-2012, 18:47
I start smelling like a homeless person the first 2 hours into a hike.
I propose we mandate hot showers for every shelter.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Supreme Being
08-19-2012, 18:50
You got no idea what you are talking about Krptonite. Your what we call a racer. You talk so fast that your words get ahead of you. You just judged me and my contributions to the homeless community. You insinuate that I through out the veteran issue as some kind of tool. Your a poor judge and offering and opinion is not preaching. What you do is preach sir. If someone disagrees with you you come back over and over and over with continuous post saying the same thing, over and over and over. BTW, I operated and funded a veterans retreat from 1976 to 1988 in Elkton, MD and operated and funded a veterans guest house in northern VA outside of Washington, DC from 1988 to 1995.

I have to agree with Kryptonite in many ways. It doesn't make you wrong and I commend you for the work that you have done on the behalf of veterans. But statistics don't lie and I think hikers need to be careful. But you are right. You have probably helped veterans more than she has, but you are both helping and that is what counts. The truth is that no hiker should be made to feel stupid for being cautious.

Bronk
08-19-2012, 20:05
I just don't like to be unfairly judged. What does it take for you all to determine that someone's behavior seems odd and worth mentioning? I think that's the issue at hand here.

I think this says it all.

HikerMom58
08-19-2012, 20:05
"I thought this would be a kind gesture to inform people spending the night in this area only to give them awareness, not to spark controversy. Hopefully, the guy hanging at the camp can find a safer place to live before it gets too cold. I hike this area frequently and if I run into him I'll be sure to ask him if he needs anything"

Yup, I knew what your intentions were from the start of this thread and I knew you would be "clubbed" just like I was....

But here's where "knowledge" in a HUGE eye opener. KK is a really awesome guy and a great friend 2 many people on the site. It's on his behalf, I believe, that everyone was speaking out. And rightly so.... what a "family" this site has become! I'm still not saying that I or this OP did anything wrong and we were most definately judged harshly, ourselves. BUT, everything changes when you get understanding or knowledge. I'm really proud of KK for his honesty and in expressing his thoughts and feelings. I have great admiration and respect for him.

I will end my post by agreeing with SB... the truth is that no hiker (or thread poster) should be made to feel stupid for being cautious.
I'm thankful for great friends and all the fun this site brings to so many... I'm honored to be a small part of it.

Papa D
08-19-2012, 20:51
Oh wow - another homeless thread - can't wait to jump in - - oh, wait, there is HikerMomKD AGAIN! saying things like, "just a heads up" and "I don't have any problem with homeless people but ........" - - I defended this gal once but I'm about tired of it - - she is on a crusade to make sure that everyone on the trail is "the right kind of person" - - properly outfitted at REI with a cell phone, a Mom and Dad at home waiting, and an SUV waiting to pick them up at the trailhead. This is so depressing - the trail is the perfect place for a homeless person - as long as they travel and play by the established trail customs, it absolutely fine with me with no strings attached. She has been a part of just about every recent homeless thread with an obviously a passive aggressive axe to grind.

ljcsov
08-19-2012, 21:12
I didn't know that this was such a touchy topic. I meet all kinds of people hiking, but I thought some people traveling through here would just like to know. I guess what I found strange was that he was camped at one location, about a mile or two from a shelter, but hanging out in the shelter during the day. I supposed he was trying to run into people to find food. Personally, if I were running into a quiet shelter I would have appreciated the notification.

JohnWayne
08-19-2012, 21:18
Oh wow - another homeless thread - can't wait to jump in - - oh, wait, there is HikerMomKD AGAIN! saying things like, "just a heads up" and "I don't have any problem with homeless people but ........" - - I defended this gal once but I'm about tired of it - - she is on a crusade to make sure that everyone on the trail is "the right kind of person" - - properly outfitted at REI with a cell phone, a Mom and Dad at home waiting, and an SUV waiting to pick them up at the trailhead. This is so depressing - the trail is the perfect place for a homeless person - as long as they travel and play by the established trail customs, it absolutely fine with me with no strings attached. She has been a part of just about every recent homeless thread with an obviously a passive aggressive axe to grind.

Whoa. Where do you get off bashing HikerMom? She is just as much of this community as you. So what if she has a different opinion on the homeless? I took notice of those statistics too. She has obviously proven to the hiking community by her selfless acts of helping other hikers that she is a caring woman. Get off your high horse. Who CARES if she is outfitted at REI, has a cell phone, parents, or an SUV? I don't care if she has a damn Mercedes in her driveway. Just because she don't agree with you don't make her passive aggressive. There are many on this site who believe that the homeless don't need to stake a claim on the AT. They should hike it like the rest of us who look just look homeless. Getting mighty tires of folks going off on this woman. She has another view. Deal with it.

Tinker
08-19-2012, 21:33
Don't worry about what other people think.... they don't do it very often.

Wonderful statement! I'll try to remember that one. :D

Papa D
08-19-2012, 21:42
Whoa. Where do you get off bashing HikerMom? She is just as much of this community as you. So what if she has a different opinion on the homeless? I took notice of those statistics too. She has obviously proven to the hiking community by her selfless acts of helping other hikers that she is a caring woman. Get off your high horse. Who CARES if she is outfitted at REI, has a cell phone, parents, or an SUV? I don't care if she has a damn Mercedes in her driveway. Just because she don't agree with you don't make her passive aggressive. There are many on this site who believe that the homeless don't need to stake a claim on the AT. They should hike it like the rest of us who look just look homeless. Getting mighty tires of folks going off on this woman. She has another view. Deal with it.

I'm ok with her opinion but she veils it with phrases like, "Just a heads up ...." I have no problem (which means she does) with homeless people but ..." etc. She has been a part of EVERY SINGLE homeless person on the trail thread I can find and her comments are all negative toward homeless people. The trail has a long HOBO history. The trail was invented for people who travel by foot not people who can pay for shuttles, we should remember that. HikerMomKD should just say, "I'm uncomfortable with homeless people on the trail and I worry that they might be criminals and they might be out to harm me and people that I know and I want the AT to be a safe place that is protected from any bad sorts of people." That would be honest. FYI This won't be the first time I've "gone off on someone" - sorry if it was a little strong - I suppose that I'll survive.

Supreme Being
08-19-2012, 22:03
The AT may have a long HOBO history, but the AT was in fact invented for HIKERS - not campers to make their seasonal homes there. And no where did I personally see where HikermomKD said anything about shuttles, etc. It sounds to me like you have an axe to grind with anyone who isn't poor.

shelb
08-19-2012, 22:10
I saw the large tent a few days ago with the clothes line full of towels and jeans. There were other camping items around the tent as well. My thought was that someone was just camping in the area....not hiking. The idea of it being a "homeless camp" didn't enter my mind at that time as everything appeared to be kept up and in order... I stopped for water at Clarks Ferry, but I did not see anyone there or near the tent.

ljcsov
08-19-2012, 22:39
I saw the large tent a few days ago with the clothes line full of towels and jeans. There were other camping items around the tent as well. My thought was that someone was just camping in the area....not hiking. The idea of it being a "homeless camp" didn't enter my mind at that time as everything appeared to be kept up and in order... I stopped for water at Clarks Ferry, but I did not see anyone there or near the tent.

Yup. That is about how I remember it. I'll probably get up there in the near future. I can always tote along some extra supplies on my day hike, and if I run into this guy, I can offer him some of the stuff. Is this poor etiquette?

Donde
08-19-2012, 23:21
he got a pack at kincora thanks to bob peoples
The buckets is used for detergent at kincora. Bob telling me about Screamer is one of my favorite memories of my hike.

Wise Old Owl
08-20-2012, 00:10
It's sad really, being homeless, We all have been thru difficult times. For me its been about five years. No I am not homeless. I work with folks that are section 8 or living on govt.* I see the worst of it. I go into the govt high rises and see folks walking down the hall and I try not to brush past them because I can see the bed bugs on the shoulders. I see the roaches crawling down the halls and falling off the drop ceiling. Sometimes there isn't a clean spot in the kitchen and the lights above are full of insects. I clean up the fleas hopping across the beds and the floors. I have seen rats as big as cats and American roaches up to two inches in schools. I share the bites as apply the insecticides sometimes. I see the windows that are screwed shut above the 3rd floor to prevent jumpers. Only to hear about the custodian who unlocked the exit on the roof and decide to end it. I get invited to meet the Horders you see on television. There is no describing the smell, the waste, the excrement when I inspect a fouled bed.

I feel I am trying to make a difference in their lives.

So if someone decides its better for them to squat in a tent in the woods. Take a moment to think before you post. Check your point of view. Ponder this - There are tent towns up and down the coast of America right now. In their socks I would do the same.:(

* Detail - that's Camden, Philadephia, Chester, Wilmington.

fiddlehead
08-20-2012, 02:21
Some people have a really hard time with people or things that are different than they are used to.
And when the internet is "in the mix" things can easily get blown out of proportion.
I believe the OP was simply giving a "heads up" to others who might not feel right about seeing someone camping in the woods, possibly long term.

Let's take it for what it was and HYOH folks.
Move on, nothing much to see here. Just a camper who wears jeans near a hiking trail.

fins1838
08-20-2012, 02:59
I like turtles!

Papa D
08-20-2012, 03:27
The AT may have a long HOBO history, but the AT was in fact invented for HIKERS - not campers to make their seasonal homes there. And no where did I personally see where HikermomKD said anything about shuttles, etc. It sounds to me like you have an axe to grind with anyone who isn't poor.

FWIW, I have no problem with wealth - I'm not even remotely close to being poor personally. Most of the people that I hike with (probably like you) have some money. It's a different subject but I do have big problems with big houses and big cars, burning lots of gas, and lots of toys - I could have plenty but I don't, by choice. You are right in saying that the AT was invented for hikers but hikers come in all forms and over the years that has included hikers and wandering people without permanent homes and I celebrate all sorts of people on the trail including Hobos and Platinum-Blazers but I do have a little more respect for the Hobo, because his / her life is much harder.
I also DO have a problem with shelter mis-use. Shelters are for one or two nights and moving on - - creating a home in a shelter and keeping a giant unwieldy campsite anywhere in the forest is inappropriate in my book but being homeless and living on the trail most of the time (appropriately) is fine with me.
I also think that H.M. has a history of trying to get everybody rattled-up about dangerous people on the trail - she is part of nearly EVERY thread like this.

Blissful
08-20-2012, 07:28
My concern as a ridgerunner is for the health and safety of the hikers. I have a possible hiker living out of Rocky Run. I can see he had health issues and may be depressed. I alerted authorities to go talk to him. The shelters are meant for hikers hiking the AT and are to be used for a nights stay. If there are people living at them, it needs to be looked into and the person helped out.

Sampson
08-20-2012, 07:51
FWIW, I have no problem with wealth - I'm not even remotely close to being poor personally. Most of the people that I hike with (probably like you) have some money. It's a different subject but I do have big problems with big houses and big cars, burning lots of gas, and lots of toys - I could have plenty but I don't, by choice. You are right in saying that the AT was invented for hikers but hikers come in all forms and over the years that has included hikers and wandering people without permanent homes and I celebrate all sorts of people on the trail including Hobos and Platinum-Blazers but I do have a little more respect for the Hobo, because his / her life is much harder.
I also DO have a problem with shelter mis-use. Shelters are for one or two nights and moving on - - creating a home in a shelter and keeping a giant unwieldy campsite anywhere in the forest is inappropriate in my book but being homeless and living on the trail most of the time (appropriately) is fine with me.
I also think that H.M. has a history of trying to get everybody rattled-up about dangerous people on the trail - she is part of nearly EVERY thread like this.

She is also a bit of a narcissist. In her first homeless "heads up" thread, she vowed to not post again on the topic. She took on this uber-victimized persona and bounced back and forth from a passive to aggressive poster. Yet, when this thread appeared, she was one of the first to jump back in and rekindle what she claimed to be so painful for her. I really don't mean to insult her, but it's pretty clear to the casual observer that she is very fond of attention, whether it is positive or negative.

T.S.Kobzol
08-20-2012, 07:51
It is easy to observe a person and notice behavior traits that give us warning signs to rather avoid that individual. Being homeless is NOT a warning flag.

It would be more appropriate to hear from someone who actually came in direct contact with a person about whom then could be issued a "heads up".

About a week ago we were hiking a section of the Long Trail. My son always hikes ahead because he is faster but knows to wait at intersections and shelters. When we got to Birch Glen shelter my son was waiting for us and said that there was an odd hiker who kept only talking to himself. The hiker left before we got there.

I was slightly worried but we continued on to Cowled shelter. At Cowles we told two hikers about the experience and the said the same person walked through about an hour ago and that indeed he was a bit disturbed.

So there you have it. The person was not homeless and it mattered very little whether he was.

So in situations like that or perhaps more severe, posting on a message board describing the peculiar behavior traits and let people be aware.

OTOH a behavior of a person who happens to be homeless could be totally pleasant and jovial.

Putting a label of being a homeless in a warning post and not describing what exact behavior is worrisome is a wrong way to do this.

Even if you say you are not judgmental it doesn't make it so.

WingedMonkey
08-20-2012, 09:11
When we got to Birch Glen shelter my son was waiting for us and said that there was an odd hiker who kept only talking to himself.

That is exactly how I met Ward Leonard the first time in Maine in '95. Damn glad i did.
:sun

Water Rat
08-20-2012, 09:26
On a hike today, I came across a homeless camp near the Clarks Ferry shelter by the junction of the AT and Susquehanna trails. The individual has a large tent set up with a clothes line holding up jeans and bath towels, leading me to believe they are using the campsite for a residence. Others informed me that a man in jeans, note this was a hot day, was laying in the shelter without any gear. This leads me to believe that the person inhabiting the camp may be hanging around the shelter in an attempt to bum supplies. Hopefully the ridge runner finds this person and solves the issue. I would hate for a hiking planning to stay at the shelter to be possibly hassled by this person for any reason.

A totally different perspective...

What if this guy just found a nice place to camp for a bit?

What if he was just at the shelter to wait for some friends who were coming down the trail?

Since the guy made no attempts to pan handle from you, or the other hikers... Why would you just assume someone in the shelter was hanging out there to bum food? Thru hikers are about the last people I would think to hit up for food.

What if this guy was camping in the area, so he could collect stories from hikers and write a book?

Supreme Being
08-20-2012, 09:37
She is also a bit of a narcissist. In her first homeless "heads up" thread, she vowed to not post again on the topic. She took on this uber-victimized persona and bounced back and forth from a passive to aggressive poster. Yet, when this thread appeared, she was one of the first to jump back in and rekindle what she claimed to be so painful for her. I really don't mean to insult her, but it's pretty clear to the casual observer that she is very fond of attention, whether it is positive or negative.

I believe there have been 2 threads on the homeless. That is hardly a lot. Who gives a flying $&@& what you personally think of this woman's personality? It has no business on this site. You can disagree with someone and their views, but you are attacking the woman herself in this case, which is wrong. I don't know this woman but I will certainly defend her right to present her views without being personally attacked.

IrishBASTARD
08-20-2012, 09:40

Anyway, just a heads up for anyone planning on making camp in the area. ALTHOUGH I wear jeans on trail...its my one true oddball luxury. THIS IS A MASSIVE ISSUE effecting EVERYONE on trail. This should NOT occur no matter what. WE have social services to help people in need (think we still have social services). Regardless this person could be mentally unstable...criminal perhaps or stealing from hikers. Better off trail...then to take a chance. GREAT JOB in reporting this information. Thank you

IrishBASTARD
08-20-2012, 09:43
HEADS up people who live on trail may rob you...I was MUGGED at knife point (reported to the ranger). "Heads up" is needed more so then face to face contact...not sure if this is PC BS. on your part T.S. But people have been killed on trail by homeless people as well as people...that were often ignored by their peers on trail. I say call the Police "SEE SOMETHING SAY SOMETHING"...this could be a person who is in need of medical help or mental. EITHER way its AGAINST the Law to live on Federal park land...without noting it to the proper authorities.

Sampson
08-20-2012, 10:00
I believe there have been 2 threads on the homeless. That is hardly a lot. Who gives a flying $&@& what you personally think of this woman's personality? It has no business on this site. You can disagree with someone and their views, but you are attacking the woman herself in this case, which is wrong. I don't know this woman but I will certainly defend her right to present her views without being personally attacked.

Not sure if you read the other thread, but there was a fair share of personal attacks administered by both sides...some that were far more judgmental than mine. She has/had every right to say what she did, but you open the door for criticism when you're posting your opinions on a public forum, especially when you're the one continuously beating the dead horse.

WingedMonkey
08-20-2012, 10:08
I'm sure going to avoid that part of the trail. I'm very afraid of men in jeans with big tents. There is no telling what they might attempt to ask me for.

ALTHOUGH I wear jeans on trail...its my one true oddball luxury.

See...I told you I was afraid.

ljcsov
08-20-2012, 12:43
Personally, I do not have any issue with homeless people on the trail, where I believe that hiking the AT may be a good way to find a new footing in life. Where I do have is a concern, is when people take up a semi-permanent residence in any area in the woods that they do not own. Not only do they potentially pose a risk to others given their mental state or any other personal problem they may have, but people may be enticed to vandalize their camp or assault the person residing there.

I believe that many of the trail groups and agencies keep a similar stance as to people setting up semi-permanent camps on the trail. Such people should be directed toward the appropriate state or local agency that can help them out with their problem.

Bronk
08-20-2012, 16:05
I don't know this woman but I will certainly defend her right to present her views without being personally attacked.

LOL...you're too much...

:sun

silverscuba22
08-20-2012, 23:35
HEADS up people who live on trail may rob you...I was MUGGED at knife point (reported to the ranger). "Heads up" is needed more so then face to face contact...not sure if this is PC BS. on your part T.S. But people have been killed on trail by homeless people as well as people...that were often ignored by their peers on trail. I say call the Police "SEE SOMETHING SAY SOMETHING"...this could be a person who is in need of medical help or mental. EITHER way its AGAINST the Law to live on Federal park land...without noting it to the proper authorities.

Wait.... you were mugged ???? i thought it was Roadside that was mugged, at least thats what you said in another thread... i guess you have lied so much you are starting to forget which is which huh ??

Kryptonite
08-20-2012, 23:37
Wait.... you were mugged ???? i thought it was Roadside that was mugged, at least thats what you said in another thread... i guess you have lied so much you are starting to forget which is which huh ??

They stole his identity! :eek:

atmilkman
08-20-2012, 23:43
Busted. Again.

Rasty
08-20-2012, 23:46
They stole his identity! :eek:

I hate it when that happens! Sometimes when I'm using my 10 usernames I get Kent Lady and others all mixed up!:dance

Water Rat
08-21-2012, 08:58
Need to wipe coffee off the keyboard now...

atmilkman
08-21-2012, 10:34
Does anybody know if either of these two were mugged or were both of them mugged or what? Were there two seperate muggings both at knife point this year and is it just one suspect or two?

Water Rat
08-21-2012, 10:37
Does anybody know if either of these two were mugged or were both of them mugged or what? Were there two seperate muggings both at knife point this year and is it just one suspect or two?

Probably wandered into a gear shop and felt like he was being mugged...

Rasty
08-21-2012, 10:41

Define mugged. He is just scared of the religious people and thought they were mugging him, but they were just offering a pamphlet!

Water Rat
08-21-2012, 10:56
Define mugged. He is just scared of the religious people and thought they were mugging him, but they were just offering a pamphlet!

They may even have been offering a satanic Snickers bar! :eek:

IrishBASTARD
08-21-2012, 11:12
Yeah lying and speaking in third person...are compeletly differnt ATMilkman. Grow up and stick to said subject matters...this one is HOMELESS people on trail...not how big of an ass you are,

atmilkman
08-21-2012, 11:14
Yeah lying and speaking in third person...are compeletly differnt ATMilkman. Grow up and stick to said subject matters...this one is HOMELESS people on trail...not how big of an ass you are,
Dang I never heard that one before, well, well, well, yer, yer, yer, a poo-poo head.

Water Rat
08-21-2012, 11:24
Dang I never heard that one before, well, well, well, yer, yer, yer, a poo-poo head.

Is speaking in third person...and being a third personality the same thing?

Water Rat
08-21-2012, 11:26

Has it even been established that this person is indeed homeless and not just someone camping?

Rasty
08-21-2012, 11:28
Has it even been established that this person is indeed homeless and not just someone camping?

Of course not! It's the same old BS about the unwashed that the usual people spew!

Oops! Willpower is gone.

Water Rat
08-21-2012, 11:29
Of course not! It's the same old BS about the unwashed that the usual people spew!

Oops! Willpower is gone.

Thought I missed something... Guess not. :)

silverscuba22
08-21-2012, 12:05

So wait... you are just speaking inthird person ?? i seem to remember this.....

Looking for "ROADSIDE" he has to be the coolest hiker I have met hands down. We chilled in Franklin & Hot Springs he averages about twenty a day...though I dont know how. Lost about forty pounds since starting...thousand cal diet a day. Just seems like a really down to Earth guy who isnt full of ****...but hiking hope. He has kept me from quitting thru texts and talking to me...where no one else cared. He is all about everyone finishing not just him...that means something. He s about 5'11 Brown/Red/Grey beard about two hundred pounds...always smiling and cheerful. You see him please tell him..."Jumping Johnnie" said whats up. Thanks everyone

Thats not really speaking in third person..... thats speaking as ANOTHER person....... you would think someone with 2 masters degrees would know this diff... so weird

( just for anyone not understanding this, roadside and IB are the same person using 2 different accounts)

leaftye
08-21-2012, 12:07
Lots of thru hikers are technically homeless. Lots of thru hikers beg for food. Too many thru hikers steal. If you got a problem with homeless people, the AT probably isn't the place to be.

Wise Old Owl
08-21-2012, 12:32
Thru hikers like Katz steal boot laces.....

the goat
08-21-2012, 12:42
Lots of thru hikers are technically homeless. Lots of thru hikers beg for food. Too many thru hikers steal. If you got a problem with homeless people, the AT probably isn't the place to be.

amen brother! on more than one occasion, i've had the pleasure of sharing a shelter with a non-thru hiker homeless person. much more interesting conversation than most typical hikers, and not once did i feel in "danger". respect is a two-way street, if you give it, the chances are you'll get it: there's no need to treat someone differently in the woods just cuz they don't look like they just walked out of an REI.

V Eight
08-21-2012, 13:18

Bold & color added.

I am not an English major (far from it) and not tiring to criticize the OP. Just my opinion of how
these boards can get out of control so fast. To me,It seems like the whole thing is built on pure
speculation. See the type in Red.

All he actual saw was a large tent with a clothes line, and a report of a guy at a shelter.
Try this story on for size and see if it is even possible the whole thing has been misread.

Lets see I have a huge tent(12lbs) that I can put up alone in a fairly good breeze, in about 10/15 minuets. In say a half hour I have unloaded my wet things (remember the rain last night or was it this morning?) strung some cord, hang my wet stuff. Now I am not a hiker. No I am a camper, so I don't have any of those fancy pants and shirts that I see the real hikers wearing. Oh, did I mention that the big tent is waiting for my buddy, his wife and my wife to get here latter. You see I was able to take a couple of days off. What was not evident by passer's by was I was just the first of 4 people that came out to the woods to camp for a few days. We get really tired of those State parks, and all comes that come with "camping" in a park like that. We just wanted to get away from it all (well most of it anyway). So, why am I up at the shelter? Can you think of a better landmark for the rest of the crew to aim for? Remember we are just lowly campers. Map reading and compass's are just not our thing.

I think reasonable people would be able to see how the story above "could" have been what was going on that day.

Again just my opinion, but an alternative to the speculation above ......

ljcsov, This is really not a dis on you or your post. Just the way things can get out of control on the internet.

Water Rat
08-21-2012, 15:10
Bold & color added.

I am not an English major (far from it) and not tiring to criticize the OP. Just my opinion of how
these boards can get out of control so fast. To me,It seems like the whole thing is built on pure
speculation. See the type in Red.

All he actual saw was a large tent with a clothes line, and a report of a guy at a shelter.
Try this story on for size and see if it is even possible the whole thing has been misread.

Lets see I have a huge tent(12lbs) that I can put up alone in a fairly good breeze, in about 10/15 minuets. In say a half hour I have unloaded my wet things (remember the rain last night or was it this morning?) strung some cord, hang my wet stuff. Now I am not a hiker. No I am a camper, so I don't have any of those fancy pants and shirts that I see the real hikers wearing. Oh, did I mention that the big tent is waiting for my buddy, his wife and my wife to get here latter. You see I was able to take a couple of days off. What was not evident by passer's by was I was just the first of 4 people that came out to the woods to camp for a few days. We get really tired of those State parks, and all comes that come with "camping" in a park like that. We just wanted to get away from it all (well most of it anyway). So, why am I up at the shelter? Can you think of a better landmark for the rest of the crew to aim for? Remember we are just lowly campers. Map reading and compass's are just not our thing.

I think reasonable people would be able to see how the story above "could" have been what was going on that day.

Again just my opinion, but an alternative to the speculation above ......

ljcsov, This is really not a dis on you or your post. Just the way things can get out of control on the internet.

Oh, boy! I tried going there a while back, but by that time, everyone had decided this guy was homeless. Oh, and he was going to beg food off of hikers, and possibly mug them on the trail.

I feel bad for the poor guy who pitched the tent in the first place! He was probably just out for a couple of days of camping near a trail...

ljcsov
08-21-2012, 16:22
Maybe I'll get up there again this weekend. My main concern was that his campsite was located near a major road and railroad, along with what other hikers had told me and the type of camp he set up made me believe that he was setting up a more permanent residence on the trail. I understand homeless people travel the trail and I think that is a place for them to find their way in life. However, I thought that many people frown upon more permanent camps set up on the trail, where these can lead to further issues. Nonetheless, I was hoping that this post might let someone know what to expect if they were going to camp at that particular site or the nearby shelter.

I'm new to the overnight stuff and have done mostly dayhiking. During my hikes I've met plenty of "different" people on the trail and enjoy the conversation with them. Conversely, if I were spending the night alone at a shelter I think I would be a bit startled by someone wandering out of the woods in the dark without any sort of equipment.

Anyway, most likely this person poses no risk to anyone passing through the area. I feel as though people blew a friendly message out of proportion. I would suppose that the ridge runner would deal with any permanent camp along the trail, since it is there duty prevent impact to the natural environment.

scree
08-21-2012, 18:02
amen brother! on more than one occasion, i've had the pleasure of sharing a shelter with a non-thru hiker homeless person. much more interesting conversation than most typical hikers, and not once did i feel in "danger". respect is a two-way street, if you give it, the chances are you'll get it: there's no need to treat someone differently in the woods just cuz they don't look like they just walked out of an REI.

Seconded and thirded or something. I've got some very close friends who are "homeless" by social standards and I open my home and my table to them. I feel a hell of a lot more endangered by your average SUV driving soccer mom slaloming through parking lots than those guys. Like any other people, you have to earn trust and respect but you also have to give it. Most of the time I'd rather bump into a homeless person in the woods than someone who doesn't know how to get by without a fridge and daily shower.

rickb
08-21-2012, 18:55
Most of the time I'd rather bump into a homeless person in the woods than someone who doesn't know how to get by without a fridge and daily shower.

I would not like to see anyone camped out at an AT shelter or immediatley proximate to the Trail for an extended period of time, whether they be bikers, homeless, teenagers, or a scout group.

TD55
08-21-2012, 19:02
I would not like to see anyone camped out at an AT shelter or immediatley proximate to the Trail for an extended period of time, whether they be bikers, homeless, teenagers, or a scout group.

Could you define extended? I agree with you, but question the use of the word extended. Is three days extended? One week?

Papa D
08-21-2012, 19:10

Yes - I agree with this. I think that most folks' objection was that the OP, whether he meant to or not, gave a heads up because the person was homeless (information that he didn't apparently even ascertain). I don't think anyone here supports permanent encampments of any person or groups of people on the AT corridor. The objection (I think) was at the assumption that a homeless person camping near the trail merited a "heads up" because presumably dirty begging homeless people would cause problems for the good clean hikers. A homeless hiker camping (even for a couple of days in the same place) has every right to be where he is as I you or I do.

Papa D
08-21-2012, 19:15
Could you define extended? I agree with you, but question the use of the word extended. Is three days extended? One week?

My understanding (if I may jump in) is that it is legal to camp on National Forest land for up to 14 consecutive days at one location (which is obviously pushing it). I doubt that anyone is ever "timed" though unless they cause problems or are reported (e.g. you could probably get in 15 days). You could also probably move your camp an unspecified distance (presumably some reasonable distance (a mile?) for 14 more days and then return. I have camped for about 5 days in one location in a National Forest Wilderness Area - I assure you, no one would ever find that spot - not in years of trekking. :cool:

rickb
08-21-2012, 19:50
Yes - I agree with this. I think that most folks' objection was that the OP, whether he meant to or not, gave a heads up because the person was homeless (information that he didn't apparently even ascertain). I don't think anyone here supports permanent encampments of any person or groups of people on the AT corridor. The objection (I think) was at the assumption that a homeless person camping near the trail merited a "heads up" because presumably dirty begging homeless people would cause problems for the good clean hikers. A homeless hiker camping (even for a couple of days in the same place) has every right to be where he is as I you or I do.

I focused immediately on the OP's characterization of a "homeless camp" and his belief that some individuals were "using the campsite for a residence".

Rights aside, I would not like to see anyone setting up a semi-permanent residence along the trail or at a shelter, whether they are homeless or living large in a Prevost.

ljcsov
08-21-2012, 20:13
What triggered me to write this post was that it appeared to me that the camp was semi-permanent. I have came across known homeless encampments in random backwoods areas at other locations and it reminded me of what I had seen there. I didn't know that the "homeless" characterization of the camp was such a touchy subject. I apologize for not simply stating it appeared as if someone was living for an extended period of time right alongside the trail.

Lone Wolf
08-21-2012, 20:15
keep building shelters and they will come

Papa D
08-21-2012, 20:18
I focused immediately on the OP's characterization of a "homeless camp" and his belief that some individuals were "using the campsite for a residence".

Rights aside, I would not like to see anyone setting up a semi-permanent residence along the trail or at a shelter, whether they are homeless or living large in a Prevost.

I cautiously agree and am glad that this post now involves a more sane level of discourse.

atmilkman
08-21-2012, 20:20
What is the average distance between shelters for the entire length of the trail? Is there such a statistic?

Papa D
08-21-2012, 20:21

Lone Wolf, you have such a way with words, so insightful, so helpful. Keep your brilliant comments coming please.

Papa D
08-21-2012, 20:22
What is the average distance between shelters for the entire length of the trail? Is there such a statistic?

I would bet that 8.5 miles would be within 1.5 miles of the average - - I'm such a gambler.

Lone Wolf
08-21-2012, 20:26

don't know but ya got 5 in the first 30 miles in georgia

atmilkman
08-21-2012, 20:33
don't know but ya got 5 in the first 30 miles in georgia
I found a 2006 thread that says there's 291 including 2 on the approach trail leaving 289. I don't know if anymore have been added or removed since then but at that rate and 2184 miles that makes it every 7.5mi. Was just wondering. Sorry about the drift as if it's even necessary.

Papa D
08-21-2012, 20:35
I found a 2006 thread that says there's 291 including 2 on the approach trail leaving 289. I don't know if anymore have been added or removed since then but at that rate and 2184 miles that makes it every 7.5mi. Was just wondering. Sorry about the drift as if it's even necessary.

probably about right - not sure what it has to do with a homeless camp but it's a welcome variant

atmilkman
08-21-2012, 20:37
probably about right - not sure what it has to do with a homeless camp but it's a welcome variant
Well it could mean that there's a possible homeless camp every 7.5 miles on the AT.

ljcsov
08-22-2012, 20:26
I heard shelters attract zombies too.

kayak karl
08-22-2012, 20:37
I heard shelters attract zombies too.
if you see one i'm sure you will keep us informed.

Lone Wolf
08-22-2012, 20:52
i send non-hiker, drifter types to local trail shelters around here all the time. they come off the interstate all the time

Rasty
08-22-2012, 20:53
i send non-hiker, drifter types to local trail shelters around here all the time. they come off the interstate all the time

I knew it!:D

T.S.Kobzol
08-22-2012, 22:07
Actually the homeless people I see don't own a tent. They just sleep under the stars.

Maybe I'll get up there again this weekend. My main concern was that his campsite was located near a major road and railroad, along with what other hikers had told me and the type of camp he set up made me believe that he was setting up a more permanent residence on the trail. I understand homeless people travel the trail and I think that is a place for them to find their way in life. However, I thought that many people frown upon more permanent camps set up on the trail, where these can lead to further issues. Nonetheless, I was hoping that this post might let someone know what to expect if they were going to camp at that particular site or the nearby shelter.

I'm new to the overnight stuff and have done mostly dayhiking. During my hikes I've met plenty of "different" people on the trail and enjoy the conversation with them. Conversely, if I were spending the night alone at a shelter I think I would be a bit startled by someone wandering out of the woods in the dark without any sort of equipment.

Anyway, most likely this person poses no risk to anyone passing through the area. I feel as though people blew a friendly message out of proportion. I would suppose that the ridge runner would deal with any permanent camp along the trail, since it is there duty prevent impact to the natural environment.