PDA

View Full Version : Easy access camping area near Woody's Gap?

STICK
08-19-2012, 00:40
I will be meeting some friends this weekend at Woody's Gap for a hike. I will get there around 1030 - 11 pm the night before and they will be getting there sometime early the next morning. So, I am curious if there is a camping area anywhere close to Woody's Gap so I can just go and set up a tent real quick and then get some rest since it will be late at night already.

I know that the Hiker Hostel is just past the gap, but being that I will be getting in late, I don't want to bother them at that time of the night. Also, being that late at night, I don't want to set out on the trail trying to scout out a spot either. I also know that there is a grassy area right at Woody's gap (I camped there before) but not sure that I want to set up by myself there on the side of the road either. Besides, I am not sure that it is technically legal either...

So, I was just curious if anyone knew a campground reasonably close by that I could stop at for the night. As well, if it is easy to find, I could have the couple I am meeting to just meet me at the campgrounds.

Thanks!

Suckerfish
08-19-2012, 01:00
campgrounds, I would suggest winfield scott. Go down to wolfpen gap road and head on it for about 6 miles, winfield scott will be on your right. There are walk in sites avalable on the back side of the lake.

FatMan
08-19-2012, 07:56
It is perfectly legal to camp at Woody Gap. If you don't want to camp on the grass hill near the south trail head, there are plenty of campsites at the north trail head. Go up the trail about 25 yards and follow the path to the right. You will have no problem finding a spot this time of year.

If that won't do the closest campground is Dockery Lake and the next closest is Lake Winfield Scott. Both are USFS Campgrounds but are operated under private management. It has been years since I stayed at either one but I am pretty sure that reservations are now required.

Another option would be to drive over to Gooch Gap (5 minute drive). Large camping areas and parking. This would get you off the main road if that is your concern with Woody Gap.

STICK
08-19-2012, 21:04
Awesome! I will probably head up the trail and check out those spots. If I don't see anything I like, I know that the grassy hill on the south side will work...I actually stayed there on my first ever hike in 09...

Thanks for the help!

hikingshoes
08-20-2012, 09:45
What time do you think you'll get there? If she gets here by10pm its going to be2am before we get there.

Hawker
08-22-2012, 12:32
Down the hill about two miles on the left is what used to be Two Wheels Only, a motorcycle resort in Suches, GA. It has been closed now for almost two years. They have lots of camping spaces in the back and would certainly meet your needs. However, I have no idea if the owner of the property would consider it trespassing or not. Most likely if you camp in the rear no one would ever know you are there...not saying you should, just providing some information.
Perhaps the folks at the Suches store/gas station would know or even have a recommendation?

Waterbuffalo
08-22-2012, 18:45
do the 25 yrds north from the gap turn right plenty of tent sites not in view of the road