PDA

View Full Version : Duncan Ridge Trail

Dances with Mice
05-01-2005, 13:51
I'm back from a circuit of the Duncan Ridge Trail, the Benton MacKaye (which was concurrent with the DRT on the section I hiked) and the AT from Long Creek Falls to Bird Gap, and the Freeman Trail around Blood.

Great trip! I started last Saturday. The weatherman said to expect cooler than average temps and a bit of rain so I threw a fleece vest and some extra plastic bags in my pack and drove up to Goose Creek Cabins. Keith let me park my van there, then I hitched a ride with some bicycle race fans who'd stayed at GCC to watch the Tour de Georgia. I started at Wolf Pen Gap about 11 am, and made my way to a campsite at Mulky Gap.

Lots of wildflowers were out, I'll post them in the gallery after I do some identifications. I've already added a photo of Keith, the owner of Goose Creek.

The trail was littered with blowdowns, with one of the blowdowns being parallel to the trail at a turn. Know how when you interrupt a line of ants they kind of wander all around searching for their trail? I felt just like an ant, searching in ever-widenening circles for the next blaze. Finally I spotted one. I think the blowdown also had the double-blaze indicating a turn, but I didn't flip over the huge oak to check. Usually blowdowns on the DRT are no problem, the trail is right on the ridge so you just walk around the tree, back up to the ridge, and continue either up or down. This happened to be at an intersection with an old forest road and I didn't know which way the trail went.

I pitched my hammock at Mulky Gap and settled in for the night. I had a great night's sleep. I woke up Sunday to -- A SNOWSTORM!! Not just a flurry, not a snow shower, a SNOWSTORM! OK, maybe to you northerners it might have been just a sprinkle, but when I can leave tracks in the snow here in Georgia, it damn near counts as a blizzard, you know?

Heading back up to the ridge warmed me up. But a large patch of Ladyslipper Orchids in full bloom were wilted by the cold snap. All the flowers were face-planted. Kind of sad, seeing them is one of the highlights of my hike each spring. The skies cleared after the storm and the temperatures stayed in the 60's. It was a great day for hiking.

I camped Sunday night beside Licklog Mountain on the Benton Mackaye. I took better notes of the trail this year than last, I had remembered the campsite being closer to a mountain still on the DRT. Licklog Mtn is after the DRT joins the Benton MacKaye Trail.

Monday was beautiful - clear blue skies with clouds creeping in later in the day. I made my way down to GA-60 and walked the quarter mile to a little store. The store had expanded since I'd last been there, now there was a short order grill. I had a nice BBQ sandwich and bought a few supplies for the trail. I headed for the swinging bridge over the Taccoa River where I met a couple out trout fishing. They'd caught a nice couple of trout for their dinner. I continued on to Bryson Gap for the night. I was saddened to see the area around the spring at Bryson was pretty trashed. I always pick up the stray candy wrapper, tent stake, or can at my campsites, but I would have needed a wheelbarrow to haul the trash out of Bryson.

The DRT south of GA-60 was much better maintained than the section north of the road. Blowdowns had been recently removed, and someone had also been recently installing or updating erosion control structures along the trail.

My original plan was to hike until Monday, then turn around and head back since I needed to be at my van Thursday to drive up to S. Carolina for the Southeast Foot Trails Conference. But, damn!, my legs were so sore. Taking the AT back would be longer but much easier. I thought about it that night and decided if I could make it to Gooch Mtn Shelter on Tuesday, I could be at Woods Hole on Wednesday, and easily finish at Neels Gap on Thursday morning.

Tuesday I woke up in rain. And it continued to rain all day. I slogged on down to Long Creek Falls to hit the AT, then headed north. Just before Hawk Mtn I stopped at Hickory Flats Cemetery to take a picture of the merry-go-round. The picnic shelter there was occupied by a group of local hunters. I got called over to get dry by their fire and have some hot food! Yes! I got a big plate of grits, creamy sausage gravy, coffee, and dried off a little by their fire. The hunters were a group of local retired law enforcement agents, they asked if I'd heard any turkey calls. I hadn't, though I'd flushed a few on my walk. The only Wild Turkey they had was in a half-gallon bottle that they were killing shot by shot. A real nice bunch of good ol' boys. I took their picture and got an address to send them a copy.

I continued onward, stopping at Hawk Mtn to chat with other hikers, then sloshed on northward on the AT. Since it wasn't my objective to hike the AT, I didn't feel bad about taking the road from Horse Gap to Cooper Gap, I've climbed Sassafrass enough times before to skip it this time in the fog and rain. I didn't even feel bad when a trout fisherman on his way home gave me a lift to Cooper. Justus Mtn was still there, I skipped on past Gooch Mtn Shelter since I knew a lot of hikers were headed there and stopped at Gooch Gap. The rain stopped and I started a little fire, then scrounged up a couple of nice oak logs to get a good blaze going. I don't usually make campfires, but at the end of a cold wet day, this was really nice. I had everything dry, even my socks and shoes, had supper, and was swinging in my hammock sipping Bacardi when the rain started again. I smiled, the weather sucked, and I'd changed plans in the middle of my hike, but I'd hiked a little further than my objective and the day ended on a real nice note.

Wednesday's goal was Woods Hole Shelter. Clear skies again! I played tag all day with a group of three section hikers from Ohio. They hiked faster than me, but stopped for breaks more often. So they'd blow past me, I'd pass them as they caught their breath on top of a mountain, then they'd pass me again, this went on all day. I got to Woods Hole at 3PM and decided not to stop. So I turned right onto the Freeman Trail and rock-hopped the 2 miles around Blood Mtn, then went down to Neels Gap. I called Goose Creek and chatted with some other hikers until Keith drove up to get me.

I'd started this hike intending to just sorta mosey along, taking photos of wildflowers. Instead I ended with two days of beating feet, going a little further than I'd intended. But when it's raining, what else is there to do but walk? And when it's nice out, why not spend a little more time walking? Both of my last two days were good days to hike, though the weather on each was completely different. I ended just a little sore, but nothing that a good nights sleep and a couple good meals wouldn't cure.

I got a cabin, showered, washed my clothes by hand in the shower and spread them near the gas stove to dry. Then I drove to Blairsville for a meal at the Cookie Jar. I got a steak to go from the menu, and drove back to sit by the trout pond as the sun set and feed french fries to the ducks.

Thursday, all clean and rested, I heated a steak breakfast in the microwave, packed, then headed to South Carolina for the Foot Trails Conference.

A very, very nice hike. I've got a load of photos to go through, I can now compile a photogaphic description of the Duncan Ridge Trail.

Ridge
05-02-2005, 01:16

A very, very nice hike. I've got a load of photos to go through, I can now compile a photogaphic description of the Duncan Ridge Trail.
Let us know if/where you post these pictures on the web. This trail is close to home and would like to see someone else's photos. hikerwife

Dances with Mice
05-02-2005, 06:53
Let us know if/where you post these pictures on the web. This trail is close to home and would like to see someone else's photos. hikerwife

They'll be on W-B. I'm organizing 2 or 3 years worth of photos and notes of the DRT into a little trail guide, sort of. There's a bit of misinformation on the 'net on other sites and even in the best guidebook about the DRT, Homan's "Hiking Trails of North Georgia". Even maps of the DRT are off in a few areas.

The DRT is a unique blue-blazed trail that makes a nice loop with the AT, I think more people would walk it if they knew more about it.

SGT Rock
12-30-2009, 07:05
How far on the Duncan Ridge Trail is it from Rhodes Mountain to Slaughter Gap?

Egads
12-30-2009, 07:24
about 21.5 miles IIRC

Dances with Mice
12-30-2009, 08:13
How far on the Duncan Ridge Trail is it from Rhodes Mountain to Slaughter Gap?It depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is.

Do you mean the intersection of the DRT & AT on the southern side of Blood? The two trails don't intersect at Slaughter Gap anymore.

Or the point where the Coosa Backcountry splits from the DRT on Slaughter Mtn? That's pretty near the geographic Slaughter Gap.

Or the Slaughter Gap campsite area south on the AT from the DRT / AT intersection?

All of them are in the 20'ish mile ballpark.

SGT Rock
12-30-2009, 13:04
Well now I am very confused. If I were to hike from Rhodes Mountain on the DRT, how long is it until it runs into another trail that gets to the AT. And at that intersection, what are my options?

So say I worded the notation like this:

The DRT splits from the BMT here near the summit of Rhodes mountain. In 0.1 miles you reach the summit of Rhodes Mountain. It is possible to create a loop hike with the AT/DRT/BMT/Coosa Back Country Trail starting at Long Creek Falls, options are:

BMT (15.3) -> DRT (2_._)->Coosa Back Country Trail east (_ _._)->AT at Slaughter Gap (_ _._) back to Long Creek 22.5 = _ _._ mile loop

or

BMT (15.3) -> DRT (2_._)->Coosa Back Country Trail west (_ _._)->AT at Slaughter Gap (_ _._) back to Long Creek 22.5 = _ _._ mile loop

Egads
12-30-2009, 13:45
Rock,

The Coosa joins the DRT at Coosa Bald and shares the same path of the DRT to Slaughter Gap for about 4 miles. You would not hike the DRT to the Coosa to the AT as you are stating.

PM me if you want to discuss via phone.

SGT Rock
12-30-2009, 13:49
OK, well then PLEASE throw me a bone here and tell how you would connect the trails.

Dances with Mice
12-30-2009, 14:28
OK, well then PLEASE throw me a bone here and tell how you would connect the trails.

The DRT splits from the BMT here near the summit of Rhodes mountain. In 0.1 miles you reach the summit of Rhodes Mountain. It is possible to create a loop hike with the AT/DRT starting at Long Creek Falls, options are:

BMT (15.3) -> DRT (21'ish)->AT south of Blood Mtn summit --> back to Long Creek 23(?) =60'ish mile loop.

I don't think anyone knows the mileage of the DRT with 0.1 mile precision right now because of some fairly recent relocations.

Did you account for the relocations of the DRT/BMT around Walhalla (sp?) and Licklog Mtn, north of GA-60?

SGT Rock
12-30-2009, 14:37
The DRT splits from the BMT here near the summit of Rhodes mountain. In 0.1 miles you reach the summit of Rhodes Mountain. It is possible to create a loop hike with the AT/DRT starting at Long Creek Falls, options are:

BMT (15.3) -> DRT (19.6) -> AT south of Blood Mtn summit --> back to Long Creek 22.5 = 57.4 mile loop.

I got the mileages off another thread where you talked about it: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8770&highlight=Duncan+Ridge+trail

I don't think anyone knows the mileage of the DRT with 0.1 mile precision right now because of some fairly recent relocations.

Did you account for the relocations of the DRT/BMT around Walhalla (sp?) and Licklog Mtn, north of GA-60?

No allowances for relocations yet. I'm going to put this together for the 2011 version, so time to get the mileages more accurately later. I'm fleshing out the initial draft of the 2011 and thought that information would be good to know. Who knows, maybe I'll add a page for the DRT connector between the two trails?

Mocs123
01-31-2010, 17:09
I am wanting to do the Duncan Ridge Trail here in about six weeks and am looking for info from those of you who have done the trail. I am particularly interested on water sources and campsites. I want to do this as an overnighter and hope there is a decent site somewhere in the middle. Would you recommend going north or south on the trail? I will get the Nat Geo map of the area next week as the ATC map I used for the AT through that area doesn't have the DRT on it.

SGT Rock
01-31-2010, 17:13
I'm going next weekend. The new Nat Geo #777 has the trail on it. I'm working on a profile of the section that connects the AT to the BMT. I've written down where the water points are based on what Ray has told me. I've attached a copy of the draft for you.

Mocs123
01-31-2010, 17:26
Thank you SGT Rock! The PDF is very helpful. I would love to hear your TR when you get back. I am thinking of doing my trip March 13-14.

Dances with Mice
01-31-2010, 17:27
On Feb 13 - 14 I'm "leading" (...from about half a mile in the rear, as usual...) a hike from Mtn X to Bryant Gap, camping overnight at Whiteoak Stomp. Short trip because we all need to get our tails back home on the 14th with cards and chocolates and flowers and all that, IYKWIM.

SGT Rock
01-31-2010, 17:32
Thank you SGT Rock! The PDF is very helpful. I would love to hear your TR when you get back. I am thinking of doing my trip March 13-14.

I'll try to put it up when I get done.

FWIW the plan is:

Day 1 - Start at Neels Gap and hike to the intersection of the DRT to the AT and hit the DRT. The first night I plan to camp at Whiteoak Stomp. ~9.2 miles

Day 2 - Hike the DRT from Whiteoak Stomp to the intersection of the BMT on Rhodes Mountain then finish down to Licklog Mountain (on the DRT/BMT). ~13.2 miles.

Day 3 - Hike the BMT and hit Martin's Dixie Depot on my way to Long Creek falls where the AT/DRT/BMT intersect. This is where I plan to camp. This completes the DRT/BMT section. ~14.5 miles.

Day 4 - Hike the AT from Camp somewhere around Ramrock Mountain. ~14.4 miles.

Day 5 - Hike the AT back to Neels Gap. ~12.0 miles.

Total trip (not counting side trips) ~63.3 miles.

pjbarr
02-01-2010, 05:06
how is the condition of Duncan Ridge Rd. (FS Road) from GA 60 north to Wildcat Gap? Is it drivable in 2WD? I'd like to hike Coosa Bald starting as close as I can get.

Egads
02-01-2010, 07:01
how is the condition of Duncan Ridge Rd. (FS Road) from GA 60 north to Wildcat Gap? Is it drivable in 2WD? I'd like to hike Coosa Bald starting as close as I can get.

yes if very carefully done, but best in a truck or 4 wd since there are planty of large rock in the road bed

SGT Rock
02-10-2010, 23:53

Sorry, my trip got canceled. So no trip report.

Mocs123
02-11-2010, 11:26
That was probably for the best. I did a section from Unicoi Gap to Dicks Creek Gap and the ice on Tray Mountain and Kelly Knob was terrible. We passed two thru hikers that got to the top of Tray and turned around saying it was impassable. We did get through, but only after a lot of crawling, climbing, and breaking through and around the ice. I have never seen anything like it before.

gatc-blazer
04-24-2010, 21:24
Here is the DRT on Google Maps.

gatc-blazer
04-24-2010, 21:25
Here is the DRT on Google Maps.

http://parkaymaps.110mb.com/duncanridge_gmap.htm