PDA

View Full Version : Best place to live along the trail

The_watch_guy
08-19-2012, 17:21
I've been thinking about making a move out of NY ( crazy taxes where I live ) ands was just looking for some suggestions about places along the trail where I should start looking. Thanks in advance.

Pedaling Fool
08-19-2012, 17:36
I would think it'd have to be a state south of Maryland, my homestate. That's why I live in Florida, despite the bulk of my entire family still lives in the D.C./eastern shore area. Too much taxes and crap for me. I think (not sure though) I heard that Tennessee has no state taxes.

But then again, maybe one of the NE states, such as NH or Maine would be pretty cheap; I'll be interested to see the responses.

Kryptonite
08-19-2012, 17:40
Great question!

johnnybgood
Gorham, NH would be my choice. Lower taxes but further to travel for work.

Jeff
New England has high property taxes and most heat using fuel oil...an expensive way to stay warm. The scenery is beautiful and hiking trails are awesome.

SixFizzle
08-19-2012, 17:42
Depends on what you do for a living/how hard it would be to find work. I live in Linden, VA. 0.5 miles from my front door to the AT. It's far enough away from DC to be cheap to live but close enough to commute for work, if necessary.

The Cleaner
08-19-2012, 17:50
TN has no state income tax,but sales tax is 9.75%. Homes prices are lower than up north and you can find unimproved land near all of the towns close to the AT.Where I live access to many miles of the southern AT isn't too far either....I burn wood for heat and I cut most of my own for free...

The_watch_guy
08-19-2012, 18:25
I am actually retired, but still need to work a few days a week to keep out of the wifes way, if you know what I mean.

Lone Wolf
08-19-2012, 18:27
I am actually retired, but still need to work a few days a week to keep out of the wifes way, if you know what I mean.

Damascus. you can be a Creeper Trail bike shuttle driver

The Cleaner
08-19-2012, 18:28
I am actually retired, but still need to work a few days a week to keep out of the wifes way, if you know what I mean. I guess you could get part-time work at WallyWorld and there is one in every town here..

scree
08-19-2012, 18:45

Is there any stable work around there?

Lone Wolf
08-19-2012, 18:58
Is there any stable work around there?

not in town but 20-30 miles away in abingdon or bristol

Papa D
08-19-2012, 19:27
Not sure if you'd want to come South but Asheville, NC is a great town - it's big enough to have some cosmopolitan aspects but small enough to know folks in your orbit and leave your doors unlocked for a spell. There is good food, good nightlife, a more or less good economic climate, progressive people (very much so for the south). It's right on the French Broad River which is a great recreation spot. Pisgah National Forest is very close with tons of hiking, rock, climbing, rivers, etc. Asheville is not at Appalachian Trail town per se but it's only about 25 miles north to the trail at Sam's Gap. The "combined" state tax rate for NC was 6.85% (based on quick google search).

ChinMusic
08-19-2012, 19:32

Of the towns on the AT that I have seen so far, Damascus and south, Damascus would be my pick.

I'd just have to get rid of AT&T..........

horicon
08-19-2012, 19:43
Do you mean to retire in?

Papa D
08-19-2012, 19:45
Do you mean to retire in?

Yes - this is an important part of this question - what is the OP looking for - a job and low taxes or a serene place by the trail with a river to soak his feet in - - both would of course be nice but more info would be helpful in this

The_watch_guy
08-19-2012, 19:51
I am only 52, so full retirement is out of the question right now, I just want to get away from NY and have always loved being in the mountians.

Danl
08-19-2012, 20:08
Here is a website you can go to and take a quiz. I did it ten years ago and ended up here in Tennessee. Though i wish i had gone to the eastern part.
http://www.findyourspot.com/best-places.

Papa D
08-19-2012, 20:16
I am only 52, so full retirement is out of the question right now, I just want to get away from NY and have always loved being in the mountians.

Check out Asheville, NC, Damascus, VA, Pearisburg, VA, Deleware Water Gap, PA, and Manchester Center VT (a lot a variety here big town, small town, taxes high to low, etc). If you moved to Asheville, you wouldn't be the first New Yorker to do so, I've met several there

mountain squid
08-19-2012, 20:34
Another vote for TN. I am 10 miles from two trailheads and within short driving distances from many others, incl Roan Mountain and Damascus.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

maintenance videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/mountainsquid04/videos)

Papa D
08-19-2012, 20:40
Asheville has cool little pubs, climbing gym, bookstore, a collegiate feel and is only about 40 miles from TN which is a beautiful state but the mountain towns near the AT are very rural and work there would be hard to find. Erwin comes to mind - 10K lives there but he works (cyber - works or something) away from home.

ChinMusic
08-19-2012, 20:48
Here is a website you can go to and take a quiz. I did it ten years ago and ended up here in Tennessee. Though i wish i had gone to the eastern part.

I just finished with that site. I hate giving an email address, so I just gave em one I don't use much now.

My spots:

1. Morganton, North Carolina (http://www.whiteblaze.net/city-detail/522/HickoryMorgantonNC)
2. Hickory, North Carolina (http://www.whiteblaze.net/city-detail/343/HickoryMorgantonNC)
3. Mount Airy, North Carolina (http://www.whiteblaze.net/city-detail/344/MountAiryNC)
4. Waynesville, North Carolina (http://www.whiteblaze.net/city-detail/349/WaynesvilleNC)
5. Charlottesville, Virginia (http://www.whiteblaze.net/city-detail/461/CharlottesvilleVA)
6. Abingdon, Virginia (http://www.whiteblaze.net/city-detail/459/AbingdonVA)

Guess I do like that part of the country......

10-K
08-19-2012, 21:02
I got 4 picks - one of them was Johnson, VT - I was just there and loved it!

atmilkman
08-19-2012, 21:17
I just finished with that site. I hate giving an email address, so I just gave em one I don't use much now.

My spots:

1. Morganton, North Carolina (http://www.whiteblaze.net/city-detail/522/HickoryMorgantonNC)
2. Hickory, North Carolina (http://www.whiteblaze.net/city-detail/343/HickoryMorgantonNC)
3. Mount Airy, North Carolina (http://www.whiteblaze.net/city-detail/344/MountAiryNC)
4. Waynesville, North Carolina (http://www.whiteblaze.net/city-detail/349/WaynesvilleNC)
5. Charlottesville, Virginia (http://www.whiteblaze.net/city-detail/461/CharlottesvilleVA)
6. Abingdon, Virginia (http://www.whiteblaze.net/city-detail/459/AbingdonVA)

Guess I do like that part of the country......
This is funny. I just did this and the third town on my list is Guntersville, AL, the next town over from where I live in Albertville, AL. I guess moving costs wont be all that much.

Papa D
08-19-2012, 21:52
I got 4 picks - one of them was Johnson, VT - I was just there and loved it!

Yep - Johnson, VT is a very cool little town - - not on the AT though - did you go into the Johnson Wool Store? Hope you didn't eat the Chinese food there - yuck.

ChinMusic
08-19-2012, 22:42
I reversed all my answers. I suspect that that would give me the most hideous location for me.

Answer: Baltimore, MD

Rasty
08-19-2012, 23:56
I reversed all my answers. I suspect that that would give me the most hideous location for me.

Answer: Baltimore, MD

Hell on Earth! I would rather live in Kabul Afghanistan.

perrymk
08-20-2012, 06:28
I'm reading this thread with interest as I consider relocating when I retire, hopefully in 7 years, 11 months, and 7 days (not that I'm counting :)). Here are a few of the things I have come up with. I also recognize the OP did not mention retiring, or if he did I missed it. Hopefully something applies, retiring or not.

If one chooses to live in an area with lower taxes, one should expect fewer services. I say this not as good or bad, but only to have it as a consideration. I live in a county with property taxes less than half the neighboring county and it suits me fine. If my situation were different it might not suit me so well.

States must get their money somehow. If state income taxes are low, sales taxes and property taxes are usually high. Also consider what is taxed. Some forms of retirement income are not taxed in states with a state income tax. For example, Alabama does not tax government pensions. This applies to federal, state, city, county, etc. from anywhere in the US, not just Alabama. Some states have special property tax rates and homestead exemptions for seniors. I believe Georgia has special property taxes for seniors.

I think the OP mentioned near the trail so I assume AT, but are other trails a consideration? Alabama has the Pinhoti Trail, sometimes described as the beauty of the AT without the crowds. When I lived in Alabama 20 years ago the joke was one could double the property tax and still have the lowest in the country, Again, many forms of retirement income not taxed in Alabama.

I see running a shuttle and mail drop service as a viable retirement occupation to earn a little pocket money. In this case pick a section of a well traveled trail like the AT and not near a large town. This also means not near major medical facilities or airports, other retirement considerations.

I live near Tallahassee (one county over from Tallahassee where it is less expensive but only 15-20 minutes to almost anywhere in Tallahassee) which has had some recent positive reviews both as a place to live and also to retire. It is also with an hour of several trailheads for the Florida Trail. Also, I put together a guide of over 30 local day hiking trails that I give away (PDF only).

Anyway, I’m enjoying this thread and hope I offered something useful.

daddytwosticks
08-20-2012, 07:12
North Ga, western NC, or eastern Tn., like eveyone recommends. Moved full time to WNC over 10 years ago and did major career change. Agree about Asheville, interesting little city. No regrets. :)

10-K
08-20-2012, 07:43
Asheville traffic sucks. As does parking downtown.

It's a nice city but I'd never live there.

OzJacko
08-20-2012, 07:55
Just for fun I filled in the questionaire as truthfully as I could and it gave me Ketchikan Alaska as number 1.
:)

Pedaling Fool
08-20-2012, 09:21
If one chooses to live in an area with lower taxes, one should expect fewer services. I say this not as good or bad, but only to have it as a consideration. I live in a county with property taxes less than half the neighboring county and it suits me fine. If my situation were different it might not suit me so well.

States must get their money somehow. If state income taxes are low, sales taxes and property taxes are usually high.
You bring up some good points. Personally I'm ok with higher sales tax as a state revenue. However, the point about: "one should expect fewer services"

Caught my eye, because it's something I've wondered after calling home and hearing about all the "costs", not just in state taxes, but all the other things my home state seems to charge for. And then again I heard basically the same thing here on this video http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/193124-1 (It's a long video and I'm not sure where it is located in the time line)

So, that video got me thinking. What would I receive for all those charges if I lived in Maryland?

I don't know the answer, but I suspect, not much.

P.S. The video is NOT about taxes and such, it's just about two friends who are of different lifestyles and in there somewhere they talk about why one of them lives in Maryland and the other across the river in Virginia. It's an interesting video -- I liked it a lot.

perrymk
08-20-2012, 09:32
Speaking more locally than state to state, I can say the schools in my county are rated significantly lower than the neighboring, more expensive county. Not a direct concern for me as I don't have kids but I believe a well educated society affects us all. The number of city and county parks in the next county is noticeably greater, as is the quality of the parks. The local hospital was closed for several years and only recently opened with limited services; next county over has very nice medical facilities. We could go on.

Hence my comment that it should be a consideration.

Water Rat
08-20-2012, 09:45
Dang. I thought this was a thread on where to live if you found yourself homeless and living in a tent...

Pedaling Fool
08-20-2012, 09:45
Speaking more locally than state to state, I can say the schools in my county are rated significantly lower than the neighboring, more expensive county. Not a direct concern for me as I don't have kids but I believe a well educated society affects us all. The number of city and county parks in the next county is noticeably greater, as is the quality of the parks. The local hospital was closed for several years and only recently opened with limited services; next county over has very nice medical facilities. We could go on.

Hence my comment that it should be a consideration.Wasn't making an argument about your consideration; it just reminded me of a thought I had very recently. I'm just looking at my current area compared to my area where I grew up. Just curious of others views on this.

And, yes I agree that is should be a consideration.

perrymk
08-20-2012, 09:48
I wasn't upset and apologize if it came across that way. I felt perhaps my comment needed some clarification.:)

Jim Adams
08-20-2012, 10:22
My sister and brother in law has lived in Vermont for 20 years, a beautiful little town near Burlington. They love it there but are planning their retirement in South Carolina because they can't afford to live in Vermont once retired and they have a current combined income of $130,000.

Rasty
08-20-2012, 11:23
Just for fun I filled in the questionaire as truthfully as I could and it gave me Ketchikan Alaska as number 1.
:)

That's about a far from Australia as you can get.

chief
08-20-2012, 12:33
To add to what perrymk said about AL not taxing govt. pensions, the state also does not tax most private defined-benefit pensions (like mine). In a couple of months, I will add social security to my income not taxed by AL.

Tom Murphy
08-20-2012, 12:42

Took the quiz and it ended up suggesting a bunch of places in New England.

Guess I am lucky I was born and raised here.

Sailor (The other one)
08-20-2012, 13:57

Know a good real estate agent?

Tennessee Viking
08-20-2012, 15:04
NE Tennessee, Western Carolina, or SW Virginia.

In NC Tennessee: you can find the AT on multiple ridgelines, and a number of other backcountry areas/trails, 6000ft peaks, some of the most famous waterfalls.

Western Carolina: Blue Ridge Parkway, AT, MST, 6000ft peaks, lots of backcountry opportunities, tons of waterfalls

SW Viriginia: Blue Ridge Parkway, Mt Rogers Rec Area, Creeper, AT, Graysons

The_watch_guy
08-20-2012, 15:35
Thanks for all the great ideas, now I have a few ideas on where to start looking ...

Gdeadphans
08-20-2012, 19:48
In my opinion I would love to live in or near Harpers ferry, WV. What a beautiful place at the mouth of two rivers.

Mbmsg
08-21-2012, 19:06
Think Bangor pa Leigh valley pa, work in Allentown, close to native ny. Cheap compared to ny. Not the most scenic area of at but close to trail and still have work options in Leigh valley.

Mrs Baggins
08-21-2012, 19:19
Well hey! According to Sly and Kayak Karl it's perfectly okay and acceptable if you decide to pitch a tarp on public land and live there - - clothes lines, fire pits, trash, whatever. So go ahead! Set up housekeeping in SNP or GSMP just outside of the campgrounds. Nooooo problem! Better yet...find out where THEY live and set up housekeeping in their yards. They shouldn't have any problem with that whatsoever.

Lone Wolf
08-21-2012, 19:54
Know a good real estate agent?

yup. a few

Chaco Taco
08-21-2012, 20:13
Well hey! According to Sly and Kayak Karl it's perfectly okay and acceptable if you decide to pitch a tarp on public land and live there - - clothes lines, fire pits, trash, whatever. So go ahead! Set up housekeeping in SNP or GSMP just outside of the campgrounds. Nooooo problem! Better yet...find out where THEY live and set up housekeeping in their yards. They shouldn't have any problem with that whatsoever.
troll much?

Asheville is ok, traffic sucks but fun town. Vermont is cool, We live near Concord NH and its nice, state parks everywhere, close to The Whites, Vermont and Maine we love it

Del Q
08-21-2012, 20:15
Woods Hole (Hostel)

Moose2001
08-21-2012, 20:25
My sister and brother in law has lived in Vermont for 20 years, a beautiful little town near Burlington. They love it there but are planning their retirement in South Carolina because they can't afford to live in Vermont once retired and they have a current combined income of $130,000.

I lived in one of those little towns near Burlington. I love Vermont! It's one of the most special places in the U.S. However, the cost of living, and the taxes, are crazy. My property taxes were over $5000 per year! Found a great spot in the mountains of Utah. Still think about moving back to Vermont though.

Chaco Taco
08-21-2012, 20:28
I lived in one of those little towns near Burlington. I love Vermont! It's one of the most special places in the U.S. However, the cost of living, and the taxes, are crazy. My property taxes were over $5000 per year! Found a great spot in the mountains of Utah. Still think about moving back to Vermont though.
Property taxes get worse in New Hampshire.

Moose2001
08-21-2012, 20:31
Property taxes get worse in New Hampshire.

I have NO IDEA how you guys pay them either! It's insane.

Chaco Taco
08-21-2012, 20:33
I have NO IDEA how you guys pay them either! It's insane.
Hell we still rent. We havent bought yet because of the property taxes. It is insane.

The_watch_guy
08-21-2012, 22:21
The property taxes where I live are around 10,000. Thats why I want to leave. All my kids have graduated High School, and that's the biggest part of my taxes.

moytoy
08-22-2012, 03:34
The property taxes where I live are around 10,000. Thats why I want to leave. All my kids have graduated High School, and that's the biggest part of my taxes.

I think I now understand why so many Long Islanders move to Fl. My property tax is $450 per year.
As for places to live along the AT I would consider Suches Ga. before going to places further north. Or even Dahlonega Georgia, my grandfather graduated college there in 1920 and I have considered moving there but just never followed through with it.

peakbagger
08-22-2012, 08:31
NH property taxes are very dependent on where you live as each town has vastly differing tax rates. In my area, the rate varies as much as 50% from one town to another. Basically towns with lots of expensive seasonal real estate with few students have low real estate taxes while towns with lots of school age children and a low tax base have high taxes. VT has the "robinhood plan", high value towns get to pay money into a fund that goes to low value towns. Unfortunately this causes the small towns to keep very small schools open at a high cost as they are spending the other towns money rather than consolidating.

Plus keep in mind, no state sales tax and no income tax in NH. There is a dividends and capital gains tax but its very low and retirement funds arent impacted by it.

But you do have to like four season weather (although lately, the climate is warming up and taking the edge off of winter even up in the whites).

Plenty of seasonal work in northern NH but if you need benefits thse jobs are much harder to get. Unfortunately you are too old to apply for the federal prison jobs.

Jeff
08-22-2012, 11:18
VT has the "robinhood plan", high value towns get to pay money into a fund that goes to low value towns. Unfortunately this causes the small towns to keep very small schools open at a high cost as they are spending the other towns money rather than consolidating.

Sadly this is very true here in Vermont. When you are spending other peoples money there is no incentive to save or become more efficient. Property taxes are the most expensive cost for the hostel.

10-K
08-22-2012, 11:44
Sadly this is very true here in Vermont. When you are spending other peoples money there is no incentive to save or become more efficient. Property taxes are the most expensive cost for the hostel.

How is Vermont in regards to accepting "outsiders".

Chaco Taco
08-22-2012, 13:22
Vermont, NH and Maine are awesome nonetheless. I hate that the taxes are so high, but I also love that its so beautiful up here, especially western NH towards VT. We need a big winter in a bad way this year!

Chaco Taco
08-22-2012, 13:27
NE Tennessee, Western Carolina, or SW Virginia.

In NC Tennessee: you can find the AT on multiple ridgelines, and a number of other backcountry areas/trails, 6000ft peaks, some of the most famous waterfalls.

Western Carolina: Blue Ridge Parkway, AT, MST, 6000ft peaks, lots of backcountry opportunities, tons of waterfalls

SW Viriginia: Blue Ridge Parkway, Mt Rogers Rec Area, Creeper, AT, Graysons

I used to think this and I definitely agree with you about NC, especially and SW VA.. Im not taking away from any of those places. They are all so beautiful and the trails are ridiculously gorgeous. There is just something awesome about New England. I think NC is one of the most beautiful states, and Im proud to be a tarheel, but you havent seen anything til you have seen Maine in late summer and Fall. Breathtaking! I have been here for a couple of years and know that I got off easy this past winter. My tune may change after a hard New England winter, but there are chances for some of the coolest trails and hiking that have been around longer than we have.

Lone Wolf
08-22-2012, 13:38
i'd move back to northern vermont in a heart beat if i could convince gypsy. i lived in Jay for 10 years. made snow at Jay Peak

Chaco Taco
08-22-2012, 13:59
Vermont is just plain awesome

10-K
08-22-2012, 14:00
i'd move back to northern vermont in a heart beat if i could convince gypsy. i lived in Jay for 10 years. made snow at Jay Peak

I liked Jay Peak so much I just hiked up it 2 times.. :)

I'd move to Johnson, Richmond, or Manchester Center without question. Especially Manchester Center.

peakbagger
08-22-2012, 14:06

My observations on welcoming outsiders in Vt and NH is that folks may appear less friendly initially than other parts of the country. The attitude in the area is that they dont want to bother you, so they may not initially act friendly. If you get involved in town and let folks know you are interested in helping out, you will gradually be accepted. BOth NH and VT are lowest on the list for attending church so its a bit harder to meet folks than areas with practically mandatory religions.

This of course doesnt include "tourist towns" where there are few year round folks and lots of people with vacation homes. There usually is a fairly distinct dividing line between the "locals" and the the weekenders.

The other thing to come into play is the person who moves to the area from "away" that hasnt lived a full season around the area. Many fall in love with a home and a town in the summer and fall and then have a couple of great months until mid to late october, then the weather starts to get cold and the sun sits low in the sky for far less hours than where they came from. The holidays usually delay things but by mid january some folks head south and never return except to sign the deed when they sell the place. The locals theory is why spend time wth someone before they have gone through winter and mud season as they most likely wont stay. Once you earned your year round status they figure you might stay around. Unless someone has a winter activity they like to do, things can get pretty depressing sittng around waiting for spring.

Monkeywrench
08-22-2012, 14:21

In the "old days" outsiders would be considered flat-landers for at least a couple of generations. I don't think it's that way anymore.

Both of my parents were born and raised in Vermont, and I still have lots of relatives there, but I've never lived there myself.

10-K
08-22-2012, 14:25
In the "old days" outsiders would be considered flat-landers for at least a couple of generations. I don't think it's that way anymore.

Both of my parents were born and raised in Vermont, and I still have lots of relatives there, but I've never lived there myself.

That's kind of funny since the mountains here are 1000-2000 feet higher than the ones in Vermont.... :)

Jeff
08-22-2012, 14:37
I found locals in Vermont to be open and friendly. But like anywhere else, they dislike outsiders who think they know better.

Rasty
08-22-2012, 15:13
I found locals in Vermont to be open and friendly. But like anywhere else, they dislike outsiders who think they know better.

I really think that is everywhere. I moved from NY to NC. The last thing I would ever say is "This is how we did it in NY".

Chaco Taco
08-22-2012, 20:42
It took awhile us awhile to meet people because we dont go out to the bars. I also moved here in winter so it was tough at first. I love the people we know and are friends with. The people I meet on the trail up here are pretty cool

Wise Old Owl
08-22-2012, 21:46
Well I filled it out and it sent me to Damascus.... Now I am not sure what to do.

Rasty
08-22-2012, 22:09
Well I filled it out and it sent me to Damascus.... Now I am not sure what to do.

Syria? Bring more than 5 bullets.

spittinpigeon
08-23-2012, 03:29

While it does yield some good results, (most of mine were in the pacific northwest) Keep in mind that you'll be doing the survey for awhile, and then jumping through a bunch of online hoops before you get your answer. ;)

fiddlehead
08-23-2012, 03:46
I moved to Maine after my first thru-hike.
Awesome state! Until winter comes.
If you like to spend time outdoors, be prepared to do it in the dark.
less than 8 hours of daylight wasn't for me.

So, looking at all the other options, I would have to say that VA might be a good one.
Further south is way too "Bible Belt" for me and my Buddhist family.

PA is OK but not a lot going on where I come from if you don't hunt. (that's what most everybody does for fun around Port Clinton PA and Sch. county)

Anything north of NY is just too cold and dark in the winters.

Ideally, live in Maine 2 seasons a year and somewhere like Ashville, NC the other 2. (or Thailand)
Depends what you like to do with your outdoor activities.
Skiing is high on my list and Ashville does have some skiing somewhere nearby, if you get lucky with a winter I believe.
Colorado, northern CA, or OR would be better options but, you said near the AT.

10-K
08-23-2012, 07:12
After it's all said and done I really like living in Erwin. Asheville is 45 minutes south, Johnson City is 15 minutes north and there are more trails to hike (including and other than, the AT) than you can shake a trekking pole at.

Taxes are low, real estate affordable, and everything you really need right here. If you don't mind driving 30-45 minutes to work you have Asheville, Johnson City, Kingsport, and just a little further is Bristol for employment opportunities.

There is ETSU and Milligan College as well as a great community college nearby (my daughter lives at home and commutes to ETSU).

It's also very convenient to I-26 so you can get on an interstate and get moving quickly. A lot of these AT towns require you to ride the back roads for a while to get to a major transportation artery.

I'm sitting here in my recliner looking at a 3000' mountain right now and if I walk on the front porch and look to the left I have a great view of No Business Knob and Temple Hill.