PDA

View Full Version : well I took first step.. I have decided I am gonna make it happen march '06!!

DavidNH
05-01-2005, 18:53
Yup! I have taken the first step towards an AT through hike! As I see it..the first step..the very first step..is to decide to definitely do it or attempt to do it and to establish an approximate start date.

I am going to start mid March or there abouts of 2006 from Amicolala Falls..do the approach trail to Springer Mountain and, God willing, make it all the way to Katahdin! Well..can't really back out...I have told whole family (three brothers and their families)!

I will put all my stuff into storage, not renew apartment lease, quit my job (been there too long anyway but that's another story!!) and head for Georgia. It will be my first time ever hiking south of New Jersey and my first time doing a continuous hike over 200 miles. Gee..and here I am aiming for over 2000!!

Deep down I am a bit nervous..wonder if I can actually do this..but I also know it's a dream and I need to do this for very personal reasons and making the trip happen will be no easier if I wait x years. I will be hiking my own hike at my own pace (not fast!) and take 6-7 months to reach my goal atop Mt. Katahdin. Whole family is even fully behind me in terms of emotional support. No need to impress with high milage machismo. I am going for the hiking experience and the rewards of the accomplisment!

So I guess I will be browsing white blaze a lot in coming months and doing weekend backpacks in the white mountains much as I can this fall to get into to practice!

I just hope that all the talk of trail magic and making life long friends is true...would sure enrich the experience. But anyway...there are two national parks and something like four national forests and the best vistas in the East! yahoo!

David (NHhiker)

walkin' wally
05-01-2005, 19:03
Good luck. I hope to try in a few years myself. It must be nice to be close enough to pick a date. :) I wouldn't mind doing some hiking in NH myself as I have finished all of Maine now. I hope to do a short warm up soon from Gorham NH to Carlo Col Maine or from Pinkham Notch to Carlo Col.

Frosty
05-01-2005, 19:46
Good luck. I hope to try in a few years myself. It must be nice to be close enough to pick a date. :) I wouldn't mind doing some hiking in NH myself as I have finished all of Maine now. I hope to do a short warm up soon from Gorham NH to Carlo Col Maine or from Pinkham Notch to Carlo Col.Hey Walkin' Wally. When ya gonna do that piece of trail? If it isn't until June, and you want some company, I'd like to do that one. Wish now that I'd done the Notch with you and Attroll and Poison Ivy.

I should do a day hike next week, and if all goes well will up the distance/elevation and hope to be backpacking by June. Actually, that is a bit conservative, but I don't want a relapse and will go slowly.

Frosty
05-01-2005, 19:50
So I guess I will be browsing white blaze a lot in coming months and doing weekend backpacks in the white mountains much as I can this fall to get into to practice! Well, when you go, post the hikes under HOOKING UP and maybe you'll get soem company. I hope to do the section between West Hartford VT and Rte 25A in NH sometime in mid-late June. It isn't the WHite Mountains, but it will make a nice check-out-your-pack-and-gear hike.

stickman
05-02-2005, 21:11
NH, good luck, and may you have good trail and the wind at your back the whole way! It sounds like you have a great attitude about your decision, and I think you will do just fine!

Stickman

wolvie
05-04-2005, 01:17
Good luck to you on your trip!

I'm in the similar situation you are.. I have decided to hike the trail next year. I've been reading everything I can the last month. I'm also pretty nervous.. I'm not exactly an avid outdoorsmen at this point. I've done a little hiking and camping, but nothing like the appalachian trail.

I've been hitting the gym, going hiking every other day, reading as much as I can, and planning my first extended backpacking session in the Ruby mountains here in Nevada.

Good luck to you, I hope you find what you're looking for.

fuzz
05-04-2005, 07:49
Me too. I should be out there hiking in 2006 if all goes as planned. It'll be here before you know it.

Wolvie, good luck on your backpacking trip. A few long hikes go a long long way towards figuring out what works and what doesn't. I'm definitely not an avid outdoorsman either, but a couple section hikes on the AT really helped me figure things out that I couldn't have learned in the forums.

orangebug
05-04-2005, 11:05
Ditto. At this point, I hope to start late March from Damascus and connect my sections - skipping NJ and most of NY.

It is interesting putting together coverage for my practice next year.

lilmountaingirl
05-04-2005, 13:17
Ditto! I haven't set an exact date yet but I'm planning on mid-late March as a start. NOBO! :jump

cmr_hiker
06-10-2005, 12:14
[QUOTE=NHhiker]Yup! I have taken the first step towards an AT through hike! As I see it..the first step..the very first step..is to decide to definitely do it or attempt to do it and to establish an approximate start date.

good luck!

i will also be going out there in 06 soo i guess ill meet you in person at some point. im planning on the 15th of march. little superstitious, the ides of march, macbeth ooooo scary! look forward to meeting you all.

some 06 planners are here at this site,
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AT2006/

come on over and join up. get to know each other and chat the planning up!

peace,
chris

bronzie5
06-11-2005, 23:05
The scary thing is I started planning this stuff out the other day (I plan to start Feb. 13) and it is scary thinking that i will be hiking 15-25 miles at this time next year. I know that no matter how much 'shape' i get into it really will not matter because it will still be difficult and no matter how many hikes i do this summer it will not compare, it is unreal. Man i get goosebumps just thinking about it.

I just read in another post about the hiker in Maine death and realized that i am lucky to this day that i am still here and still have the opportunity to do this.

Turtle2
06-12-2005, 13:13
I'm starting around that time at Deep Gap, NC. Did GA in 2004 and plan to finish in 2006. Hope to see you all on the trail.