PDA

View Full Version : Trail Music (the making of)

Treton
08-19-2012, 20:32
I havent seen a thread about this and thought this was a better section than media to put this in so here it is.
How many people bring instruments for the little downtime you have? Something like a harmonica or like the Martin Backpacker guitar etc.

Papa D
08-19-2012, 20:44
I carried a Martin Backpacker Guitar for about 7 days in Joyce Kilmer one time (50 mile trip) - it was fun to play and we had some good campfire times but the weight and hassle wasn't worth it - had it in a waterproof sack strapped to my pack. Better for camping vs backpacking

Another Kevin
08-19-2012, 23:46
I've been known sometimes to carry a pennywhistle or recorder. Once I stopped at a place where two couples of Scottish extraction were staying - and they danced a four-hand reel while I played. Fun!

Treton
08-20-2012, 19:39
Ive been thinking about the backpacker for a while. I'll probably get it for its general portability, but was wondering how its size and weight would fair.

Treton
08-20-2012, 19:43
I've been known sometimes to carry a pennywhistle or recorder. Once I stopped at a place where two couples of Scottish extraction were staying - and they danced a four-hand reel while I played. Fun!
That's awesome!

SCRUB HIKER
08-21-2012, 03:13
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?71458-A-Cello

I missed the Cello Guy by a day last year, but he was out there. I don't think he made it. But the thread above features a robust discussion of the merits of different types of music on trail, if you're interested.

perrymk
08-21-2012, 06:00
I've been trying to teach myself to play a little ocarina to entertain myself. Unfortunately it is only confirming my complete lack of musical inclination.
http://hindocarina.com/ocarinas/index.php?l=product_detail&p=82

OzJacko
08-21-2012, 06:04
I can't sing or play an instrument but when alone I've been singing to myself to the tune (well sort of) of "walking to New Orleans" reworded to "walking to Katahdin".
Trying to put together a verse for every state. One day I might get someone with talent to sing it or get drunk enough to let someone else suffer.

Tipi Walter
08-21-2012, 09:41
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?71458-A-Cello

I missed the Cello Guy by a day last year, but he was out there. I don't think he made it. But the thread above features a robust discussion of the merits of different types of music on trail, if you're interested.

I was getting ready to link to that thread but you beat me to it. Not to beat a dead bonobo but we have enough noise pollution out in the woods as it is---overhead nonstop jet traffic, area sawmills, racing harleys and crotch rockets on roads below the ridge trails---and now I have to hear amatuer flutists or guys whipping out their mouth organs (french harp in other words) or silverbacks humping tubas. The last thing I want to hear when I'm out is a mediocre musician thumbing thru his repertoire.

If it's an uncontrollable fixation go ahead and stand on a city street and play some street music and compete with the car honks and truck exhaust. Throw out a hat and you may even make a few dollars. But please leave the human-generated noise at home. Most of us go out in the woods to get away from the saxophone and trumpet and cello and guitar and clarinet and bongo drum howlings and prefer to listen to the wind or a creek or a waterfall or the rain or a snowstorm hitting the tent.

Treton
08-21-2012, 17:53
I was getting ready to link to that thread but you beat me to it. Not to beat a dead bonobo but we have enough noise pollution out in the woods as it is---overhead nonstop jet traffic, area sawmills, racing harleys and crotch rockets on roads below the ridge trails---and now I have to hear amatuer flutists or guys whipping out their mouth organs (french harp in other words) or silverbacks humping tubas. The last thing I want to hear when I'm out is a mediocre musician thumbing thru his repertoire.

If it's an uncontrollable fixation go ahead and stand on a city street and play some street music and compete with the car honks and truck exhaust. Throw out a hat and you may even make a few dollars. But please leave the human-generated noise at home. Most of us go out in the woods to get away from the saxophone and trumpet and cello and guitar and clarinet and bongo drum howlings and prefer to listen to the wind or a creek or a waterfall or the rain or a snowstorm hitting the tent.
Ok, ill make sure I don't take an instrument so I don't risk bothering you somewhere in 2000 miles of trail with my music... I mean does it really hurt to walk out of earshot of an acoustic instrument? All 200ft.

Tipi Walter
08-21-2012, 21:24
Ok, ill make sure I don't take an instrument so I don't risk bothering you somewhere in 2000 miles of trail with my music... I mean does it really hurt to walk out of earshot of an acoustic instrument? All 200ft.

That's like saying "does it really hurt to walk past a fire ring full of trash or a pile of on-surface turds with toilet paper and go far enough to not see it?" Part of the LNT ethos is not only about garbage and stool but also about noise.

Another Kevin
08-22-2012, 00:48
Clarification: I don't play when anyone else is about unless they want me to. Some folks do want me to, some don't.

("Some do and some don't" answers a lot of questions.)

chief
08-22-2012, 13:32
Clarification: I don't play when anyone else is about unless they want me to. Some folks do want me to, some don't.

("Some do and some don't" answers a lot of questions.)Sometimes it changes "Some do, some don't, and then they do". In 2000, I remember a guy bitching about someone playing a radio, then a few days later he's asking the radio owner to tune in some sports scores.

Treton
08-22-2012, 17:52
That's like saying "does it really hurt to walk past a fire ring full of trash or a pile of on-surface turds with toilet paper and go far enough to not see it?" Part of the LNT ethos is not only about garbage and stool but also about noise.
Because the music notes stay around laying on the ground for days or months... Yeah I gotcha. This thread is not meant for to vent about your problems with musicians.
If you walk to a campsite where someone is "thumbing thru his repertoire" he was there first get to a spot where your no longer bothered. Only if you've already set up camp and someone shows up and without asking and commences to there "fiddley diddley bull****" you then have a right to complain... Squatters must Yield the right to camp.

Treton
08-22-2012, 17:54
^^apologies on the terrible grammar on that one^^

Glenn Allen
08-23-2012, 19:41
I plan on carrying my mandolin. Since I have played for over 30 years it would be like leaving my left nut behind. I am kind of attached to it . I sing when I hike sometimes just to get some rhythm in my stride. But if your upset by it I will let it be until you are out of ear shot then hike my own hike.

Papa D
08-23-2012, 21:19
A little music is fun at the base camp or car camp site - I'm with Tipi Walter though on the noise deal and would leave the instruments mostly at home on backpacking trips - way too much of it but, on the subject of noise, the noise that I hate more than anything might be fireworks - I really wish they were outlawed everywhere - I just loathe them and it seems that every 4th of July or other such Holiday I'm fortunate enough to be in the woods and have to hear their report over the mountain - irksome, and so very unnecessary - much more so than a mandolin - sparklers might be ok on a boat or something.

hikerboy57
08-23-2012, 21:35
.I've played the guitar since I'm 8 years old and as much as I love to p.lay I would never bring 1 on the trail..i like to get away from my own music for a while. i had the opportunity to play several times during my maine section and i and everyone else enjoyed it.but i can't justify the extra weight.carrying it would make me feel i had to play it more when i would prefer not to.the sound of a loon is much more appealing.

generoll
08-24-2012, 09:08
many trail junctions have a FS sign showing banned items such as motorcycles, pack animals, or even bicycles. at the Blue Ridge Gap/AT crossing someone has added musical instruments to the list. It seems every trip includes at least one musician who can't play his instrument well, but will anyway.

hikerboy57
08-24-2012, 09:20
i used to joke i wanted to play jazz in the worst way- and i did.

Creek Dancer
08-24-2012, 09:55
Because the music notes stay around laying on the ground for days or months... Yeah I gotcha. This thread is not meant for to vent about your problems with musicians.
If you walk to a campsite where someone is "thumbing thru his repertoire" he was there first get to a spot where your no longer bothered. Only if you've already set up camp and someone shows up and without asking and commences to there "fiddley diddley bull****" you then have a right to complain... Squatters must Yield the right to camp.

Arriving at the shelter first does not give you the right to subject others to your music just because they got there after you arrived. That's like saying you have the right to ...smoke in the shelter because you got there first. The polite thing to do is to ask others around you if they mind if you continue to play. It's a village thing.

forrest!
08-24-2012, 10:13
I play piano, at least an hour a day every day. I really miss it when I don't play.

I'm rebuilding a 1927 Bechstein Grand - it only weighs a half ton or so...

But if I want to thru hike next year I will have to give it up. I read the Barefoot Sisters southbound book - one of the sisters was a pianist. She managed to find a few pianos along the way to play.

Another Kevin
08-27-2012, 10:39
Arriving at the shelter first does not give you the right to subject others to your music just because they got there after you arrived. That's like saying you have the right to ...smoke in the shelter because you got there first. The polite thing to do is to ask others around you if they mind if you continue to play. It's a village thing.
Hmm. Ordinarily, if someone comes upon me playing, I'll say, 'oh, I'm so sorry, I didn't know there was anyone so close behind me,' and start to put the whistle away. When the next move is 'oh, please, I was enjoying that,' I'll continue. Otherwise, it's a smile and 'hi, I'm Another Kevin, hope I didn't bother you too much with that.'

I'm sure that I'm acting like a clueless weekender there.