PDA

View Full Version : Belle Isle

bonsai
08-19-2012, 20:59
They say the IAT ends at Belle Isle on the Northern end of Newfoundland Island. But how does one get to Belle Isle? It is an uninhabited island. Have those who hiked the full IAT in the past paid for a boat from St. Anthony's in Newfoundland? Not that I expect to get there anytime soon, but am curious about the feasibility.

-Bonsai

Old Hillwalker
08-20-2012, 06:35
They say the IAT ends at Belle Isle on the Northern end of Newfoundland Island. But how does one get to Belle Isle? It is an uninhabited island. Have those who hiked the full IAT in the past paid for a boat from St. Anthony's in Newfoundland? Not that I expect to get there anytime soon, but am curious about the feasibility.

-Bonsai

I was at the North American terminus of the IAT last month after completing the Long Range Trail. We were told that one of the local fishermen would take us to Belle Isle, but we opted out due to very high winds. There is a fishing village only about a mile from the Cape Raven trail (see picture) where he lives. The sign at the Cape Raven trail says that this is the "Terminus of the IAT". Never took a lobster boat shuttle before, and kind of regretted not doing it. 17095

bonsai
08-20-2012, 08:45
The other challenge would be arranging for pickup once you've hiked Belle Isle. It doesn't look too big - maybe a couple days hike? Is there even a trail?