PDA

View Full Version : Repackaging Suntan lotion

snarbles
05-01-2005, 20:02
Was wondering how most of you repackage your suntan lotion into smaller containers. Also is there any particular suntan lotion that is preferred?

TakeABreak
05-01-2005, 22:58
I buy the cheap wal mart brand, believe it is a blue bottle around spf 50 or so, does not sweat off as easily as most, you can put it small plastic bottle or you can use a vacuum sealer and put it in small tube's just enough for one good application, because once the bag is one you can not re-seal it.

The small plastic bottle can bottle in the camping section of most stores, and it put in with your mail drops or put the big bottle in the bounce box and keep refilling carrying bottle every couple of weeks.

Kerosene
05-02-2005, 09:13
I re-package waterproof sunscreen into a small Clear Eyes squeeze bottle when I'm hiking in areas without foliage, such as extensive balds or between late Fall and early Spring. If I do expect a lot of sun, then I buy a small tube of lotion. The spray-on Sport formulations are convenient, but weigh a little more.

yogi clyde
05-02-2005, 09:46
I carried a 2 oz bottle with me, and would refill it when I caught up with my bounce box.

SGT Rock
05-02-2005, 09:49
Get a tan :sun

Youngblood
05-02-2005, 10:51
I'm fair skinned and the best sunscreen I've found is the 'bonding based' types. They work for a long time, I believe REI and Sawyer package them. This is REI's 2 oz bottle: http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=9404690&parent_category_rn=4500643&vcat=REI_SEARCH .

Youngblood

dougmeredith
05-02-2005, 10:51
Get a tan :sun
I lost that attitude after my father had melanoma.

Doug

Footslogger
05-02-2005, 10:56
Check out the counter near the cash register in gas station quick markets or even some outfitters and look for the small tubes of sunscreen. I used to repackage into smaller containers until I found those. Usually available in different SPF levels.

'Slogger
AT 2003

HikeLite
05-02-2005, 16:44
Melanoma is not your friend.

http://www.skincancer.org/

Tha Wookie
05-02-2005, 17:50
I have been continually shopping around for the best sunscreen.

I've spent the last two years in the coast somewhere in a lot of light. This summer I walked the entire west coast of America. I work often in Baja, Mexico, in the desert coast.

I have red hair, fair yet tanned skin, and a family history of melanoma. I surely put myself at risk, but I try and use the best sunscreen. Since I do a lot of photography, I can't use the greasy stuff.

Also, I limit my use of titanium consumption.

So I found that nutragena's waterproof/sweatproof works the best. It is more expensive, but it really feels great and prevents sunburn very well. Use it one time, and you'll see it's work an extra 2 bucks.
:sun
I haven't found anything that comes close to it.

I also use an umbrella. think about it.

Pencil Pusher
05-02-2005, 19:50
Not sure about the repackaging, but how about the sun lotion with insect repellent? I've got an old tube of Off! but there are plenty of other manufacturers as well.

SGT Rock
05-02-2005, 20:00
I've used that type for a while. NoAdd SPF 30 or 45 or something like that with DEET.

Mags
05-02-2005, 20:42
I perfer clothing instead of sunscreen.
Big, wide, hat.
Long sleeves,
Long pants- if need be.

If I may paraphrase Chris - You don't see Bedouin using sunscreen and shorts. :)

I'm lucky enough where I tend to get very dark, so YMMV.

SGT Rock
05-02-2005, 21:10
I saw some of the modern ones in shorts and t-shirts LOL. But for the most part they wear Man-Dresses (soldier slang) and sandals.

hikerjohnd
05-02-2005, 22:19
Coppertone Sport at Wally World comes with a small bottle (shrink wrapped onto the big bottle) that holds 2 oz or so. I keep the little bottle in my truck for when I'm doing handyman stuff outside (or in my pack in planning long sunny outing). It also has an added bonus - a little caribeaner that I use for hanging my food bag!

Rendezvous01
05-02-2005, 23:18
Rather than a lotion formulation (very runny and messy when it gets warm) I try to find a thicker, creamy product which comes in a small canister maybe 1.5 - 2 inches in diameter, about 1 inch high. Packs nicely into the mesh side pocket of my pack where I can reach it easily. Can't think of any brand name, sorry. Lasts quite a few miles on the Trail, particularly in combination with sensible clothing, as Mags mentioned. I, too, am pigment-deficient and prone to sunburns, with a family history of skin cancer. My loving wife gets upset with me if I dare venture outside without appropriate skin protection. A little common sense and SPF 45 protect me from the sun and her wrath.

dougmeredith
05-03-2005, 08:04
I perfer clothing instead of sunscreen.
Big, wide, hat.
Long sleeves,
Long pants- if need be.
I'm with you on this. It also helps greatly to keep bugs and branches away.

Doug