PDA

View Full Version : RELIGION vs TRUTH on trail

IrishBASTARD
08-20-2012, 09:20
RELIGION does it belong in Trail Magic? I've experience first hand false trail magic. False trail magic you ask whats that? People and groups who condemn you if you prayer or question the utterance of God. People who stand gap to gap sometimes ten deep...offering candy and cold drinks to the hungry and thirsty. These people are not giving trail magic. But are offering a apple of contempt. To see this as a true Hiker namely someone who does without said magic...is something wickedly in their offerings. "Born again Christians" owning hostels WHERE you must PRAY...or holding hands in a Sprtiual belief. Being told time and again by a hostle owner in Monson Me..."I am a good and faithful Christian". All the while this said hostel owner sent hikers into the rain...while giving a great discount to "Christan Cyclists for Christ". Both on food though they ate all their meals at a local Pastors home. To cancelling the day of which turned to be severe storms...but she felt bad for them. Screw the hikers unless you follow and cower...be ye damned to Hell eternal. Im not one to condemn a person regardless if they have Faith or not...just dont come offering bounty and gifts and slapping me with a Bible. Thats not Christian or any true FAITH...that in and of itself is sickening. Ive paid all who offered trail magic...because I dont accept Religious donations. Would like to ask everyone how you feel about this subject? The worst case for me was in Allan Gap or is it Allen Gap either way...was truly Hell on Earth. Being force fed "Born Again" beliefs over food. Could I had walked away yes...but they never said they were Religious just "free food". To me that is truly sickening preaching in the name of God and the Almighty. Religious CULT'S savoring over said ignorant or lonely hikers..."YELLOW DELI" I mean you. Would like AWOLS future books to warn people if they are requires to prayer let alone sell their souls for a coke.

Supreme Being
08-20-2012, 09:28
At least they feed hikers with their sermon. We had to wade through your religious babble without so much as a Fig Newton! Don't blame them if you don't have the balls to walk away. Everyone is free to practice and share their own faith or lack of it.

Pedaling Fool
08-20-2012, 09:29
There is no magic in any of today's trail feeds.

atmilkman
08-20-2012, 09:32
By the way John, is next year trail feed schedule out yet?

Maddog
08-20-2012, 09:35
At least they feed hikers with their sermon. We had to wade through your religious babble without so much as a Fig Newton! Don't blame them if you don't have the balls to walk away. Everyone is free to practice and share their own faith or lack of it.

+1 For mindless religious babble! Maddog:D

Pedaling Fool
08-20-2012, 09:36
By the way John, is next year trail feed schedule out yet?You a funny guy ;)

IrishBASTARD
08-20-2012, 09:36
As well the A.T is a Government owned area. Therefore any Religous group or ANYONE regardless of Faith...must be insured as well as known to local Rangers. Health Departments where they offer said "trail magic" would be required to cook hotdogs and such at a healthy temp. Its guidelines and such...would not want ANYONE forced off trail because under cooked foods.

Supreme Being
08-20-2012, 09:40
This from the guy with the split personality! :cool:

Maddog
08-20-2012, 09:43
I was gonna say...did he get free whiskey at his last Trail Magic? Maddog:p

perrymk
08-20-2012, 09:47
I agree with much of what you said, though not so much the tone in which it came across to me.

However,

"Thats not Christian or any true FAITH"

What gives you the authority to determine what constitutes another's beliefs? The word "Christian" means so many different things today, most different from my definition.

The only tihng more annoying than a newly born again Christian is a newly minted Atheist. Not saying the OP is one, but he sure sounds like one to me.

Thirsty DPD
08-20-2012, 09:49
Everything has a price, everyone has a choice. If you don't like it, politely refuse it and walk away. No one was shoving anything down your throat. You ate what you wanted, and refused what you wanted. Sounds like there was no room at the Inn. What's the complaint, you didn't like their form of hospitality and didn't like being there anyway.

moldy
08-20-2012, 09:52
No such thing as a free lunch. For me it depends on the quality of the food and how hungry I am. I never let on what I think about religon until after the meal. If they end up being really obnoxious, out of the blue, I say something like, "you know the devil loves you too". Know you don't want to go to far with that, they could burn you at the stake.

T-Rx
08-20-2012, 09:56

IB are you off your medication again?!?!?

Maddog
08-20-2012, 10:04
IB are you off your medication again?!?!?
This is gonna be fun to watch! Maddog:D

HikerMom58
08-20-2012, 10:29
Interesting thread .....I saw someone else talking about this very thing- I'm really glad you started this thread. I agree with you completely. A Christian person that ever thought this was a good idea, needs to think again. Wow, just wow.

TOW
08-20-2012, 10:35
Irish I know what will cure your anger and that is that you need a good baptism. I'll volunteer for this job but don't be surprised if I hold you under a little longer than the others so that you will really repent!

HikerMom58
08-20-2012, 10:40
Irish I know what will cure your anger and that is that you need a good baptism. I'll volunteer for this job but don't be surprised if I hold you under a little longer than the others so that you will really repent!

Haha... that reminds me of the Shirley Temple movie when she was "baptizing" her friend.. asking him after every dunking if he was "saved" yet.... LOL!

Tharwood
08-20-2012, 11:16
@ Thirsty .. Agreed

Supreme Being
08-20-2012, 11:16

LOL. There went my morning coffee!!! Priceless, TOW. Absolutely Priceless!

moocow
08-20-2012, 11:18
I'm pretty sure AWOL tells you if the establishment is religion based or not. Blueberry Patch comes to mind. So it's not like it's a complete shot in the dark.

It's your choice whether or not you want to take up on offers on the side of the trail or if you want to stay at the home of the guy who just opened their door for you. I almost want to say that you are morally indebted to at least listen to them talk while you're eating away on the food they provided. You know, don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Suckerfish
08-20-2012, 11:26
If you are hungry and eating their food, respect the hand feeding you. If you're not going to respect it, then walk away and do not take from the hand.

That's how I feel. If someone is willing to give me a free meal and shelter out of the rain or cold, I could manage to sit through their babble for one evening, and I might learn something about the person.

Some of you need to just get a few years on you, then the religion talk will be a cake walk.

Creek Dancer
08-20-2012, 11:36
I politely decline and move along.

But I do wonder why church groups see the hiking community as a group of people that need saving. Of the various groups to which I have a connection in my life, those in the hiking community are far more spirtual than any others. Maybe not religoius - but definately spirtual.

Wise Old Owl
08-20-2012, 11:38
Saving? you haven't seen the gallery?:eek:

Creek Dancer
08-20-2012, 11:40
Saving? you haven't seen the gallery?:eek:

LOL! That's true! Hikers definately can look like a motley crew!

IrishBASTARD
08-20-2012, 11:52
no AWOL does not for all of them. Woods Hole Lakeshore House...again "YELLOW DELI"...does not say. Would suggest a cross next to said areas where we can hostel with Christ. The thinker never asked to be fed...as I talked about earlier RE-READ. I've paid for all services rendered as such you have no right to tell me...pick or choose. THESE PEOPLE have no RIGHT to tell me pray with them...even after paying my MONEY. REGARDLESS too many groups condemn non-believers that is Anti-Christian true Christian Christ accepted all regardless of faith. Actually its my choice to report them to the BBB or fellow hikers...as being hostile toward hikers who dont cow to such abuses. Also being from TEXAS shows me your a Religious Zealot...or was that just GEORGE W.

Rasty
08-20-2012, 11:53

But I do wonder why church groups see the hiking community as a group of people that need saving. Of the various groups to which I have a connection in my life, those in the hiking community are far more spirtual than any others. Maybe not religoius - but definately spirtual.

The spiritual part may be why they are recruiting. They think they have a chance with spiritual people.

IrishBASTARD
08-20-2012, 11:58
Never said or talked about being "hungry" please dont put words in my mouth. Dont respect people shoving Religion down my throat...therefore they have no calm or baring at all. Religion DOES NOT BELONG ON TRAIL EVER. Um shelter I never talked of...pay to stay hostels...who codemn you if your not cowed into their Faith. I pay my way and want respect of my belief system not to be condemned for refusal...never did I say I took trail magic withouth paying or loding WITHOUT paying. Had paid for both but when asked if I could pray...was shunned by same group who wanted me to pray. Truthfully Religion has no soul or merit as people see it. Sadly its a dead subject in terms...because you say your a "Good and faithful Christian" does not make it so. I rather have a non believer then a Religious zealot. Hiking is just that HIKING no need for Religion to ply ANY PART IN IT.

BobTheBuilder
08-20-2012, 12:00
the thinker or the whiner? You are the one freeloading. Grow up and drop the entitlement attitude.

Spokes
08-20-2012, 12:07
Everything has a price, everyone has a choice. If you don't like it, politely refuse it and walk away. No one was shoving anything down your throat. You ate what you wanted, and refused what you wanted. Sounds like there was no room at the Inn. What's the complaint, you didn't like their form of hospitality and didn't like being there anyway.

Best response so far to the mindless babble in the OP.

Lone Wolf
08-20-2012, 12:07
RELIGION does it belong in Trail Magic? I've experience first hand false trail magic. False trail magic you ask whats that? People and groups who condemn you if you prayer or question the utterance of God. People who stand gap to gap sometimes ten deep...offering candy and cold drinks to the hungry and thirsty. These people are not giving trail magic. But are offering a apple of contempt. To see this as a true Hiker namely someone who does without said magic...is something wickedly in their offerings. "Born again Christians" owning hostels WHERE you must PRAY...or holding hands in a Sprtiual belief. Being told time and again by a hostle owner in Monson Me..."I am a good and faithful Christian". All the while this said hostel owner sent hikers into the rain...while giving a great discount to "Christan Cyclists for Christ". Both on food though they ate all their meals at a local Pastors home. To cancelling the day of which turned to be severe storms...but she felt bad for them. Screw the hikers unless you follow and cower...be ye damned to Hell eternal. Im not one to condemn a person regardless if they have Faith or not...just dont come offering bounty and gifts and slapping me with a Bible. Thats not Christian or any true FAITH...that in and of itself is sickening. Ive paid all who offered trail magic...because I dont accept Religious donations. Would like to ask everyone how you feel about this subject? The worst case for me was in Allan Gap or is it Allen Gap either way...was truly Hell on Earth. Being force fed "Born Again" beliefs over food. Could I had walked away yes...but they never said they were Religious just "free food". To me that is truly sickening preaching in the name of God and the Almighty. Religious CULT'S savoring over said ignorant or lonely hikers..."YELLOW DELI" I mean you. Would like AWOLS future books to warn people if they are requires to prayer let alone sell their souls for a coke.
dude. seriously? another non-issue on the AT

HikerMom58
08-20-2012, 12:12
The spiritual part may be why they are recruiting. They think they have a chance with spiritual people.

No, I don't think most true Christians are in2 recruiting. They just feel strongly about what they believe and try to share it. Their method of "sharing" leaves much to be desired at times. The Jehovah Witness's ARE on a recruiting mission. They make "brownie points" if they "convert" people. Most Christians mean well but they just lack wisdom, IMHO. I just like to share with people, if the opportunity comes up. Most of the time people ask me or I'm asking them, so it's no big deal to share.

HikerMom58
08-20-2012, 12:16

LW... I like you and respect your opinions but why do you sometimes just "write people off" for wanting to discuss issues that they feel is important to them? JW.....:)

Lone Wolf
08-20-2012, 12:34
LW... I like you and respect your opinions but why do you sometimes just "write people off" for wanting to discuss issues that they feel is important to them? JW.....:)
it's a rant not a discussion

Supreme Being
08-20-2012, 12:36

Agreed. And no Fig Newtons and milk to wash it down with.

TOW
08-20-2012, 12:38
Never said or talked about being "hungry" please dont put words in my mouth. Dont respect people shoving Religion down my throat...therefore they have no calm or baring at all. Religion DOES NOT BELONG ON TRAIL EVER. Um shelter I never talked of...pay to stay hostels...who codemn you if your not cowed into their Faith. I pay my way and want respect of my belief system not to be condemned for refusal...never did I say I took trail magic withouth paying or loding WITHOUT paying. Had paid for both but when asked if I could pray...was shunned by same group who wanted me to pray. Truthfully Religion has no soul or merit as people see it. Sadly its a dead subject in terms...because you say your a "Good and faithful Christian" does not make it so. I rather have a non believer then a Religious zealot. Hiking is just that HIKING no need for Religion to ply ANY PART IN IT.
it would be interesting to see who would pray to if you got into a bad nasty scenario out on the trail.........another thing too not everyone can be as perfect as you are especially we Christian folk....if I ever get a chance to meet you I am gonna grab a hold of you and shove my Bible right up your behind and make you like it! i learned how to do that when I was in the joint...

Maddog
08-20-2012, 12:39
Agreed. And no Fig Newtons and milk to wash it down with.

+1 I'm hungry! Maddog:D

IrishBASTARD
08-20-2012, 12:42
My question was how do you feel about it? Would you accept said "Trail Magic" or refuse and why. This is not meant to be an attack on me as I have already stated...by my wording where I stand. DOES RELIGION BELONG ON TRAIL? In my eyes it does not and it violates my Rights. What about the Religious peoples Rights you ask? They have none Religion is not to be spread on public property. Though most condemn that as a faultering of society...treat others how you want to be treated. I've done numerous acts of "trail magic" this year while on my thru...never once I asked the other person for a thing in return. Not a prayer meeting let alone money...true HIKERS help all hikers regardless of religious belief or question to its existance.

Coffee Rules!
08-20-2012, 12:46
IB it's people like you who give us freethinkers a bad name. I'm an atheist leaning toward anti-theist, but holy (no pun intended) ***** dude, you take the cake. If you're going to rant against religion, at least make an attempt at coherence. And learn to friggin' spell.

HikerMom58
08-20-2012, 12:51

Got it! ;)

AKBOb
08-20-2012, 12:52
My question was how do you feel about it? Would you accept said "Trail Magic" or refuse and why. This is not meant to be an attack on me as I have already stated...by my wording where I stand. DOES RELIGION BELONG ON TRAIL? In my eyes it does not and it violates my Rights. What about the Religious peoples Rights you ask? They have none Religion is not to be spread on public property. Though most condemn that as a faultering of society...treat others how you want to be treated. I've done numerous acts of "trail magic" this year while on my thru...never once I asked the other person for a thing in return. Not a prayer meeting let alone money...true HIKERS help all hikers regardless of religious belief or question to its existance.

"In my eyes it does not and it violates my Rights" ROFLMAO!

lol, this country needs breeding laws :D

Maddog
08-20-2012, 12:54
IB it's people like you who give us freethinkers a bad name. I'm an atheist leaning toward anti-theist, but holy (no pun intended) ***** dude, you take the cake. If you're going to rant against religion, at least make an attempt at coherence. And learn to friggin' spell.
+1 Some sentence structure would be nice as well...and MORE CAPITAL LETTERS! Maddog:D

moocow
08-20-2012, 13:00
no AWOL does not for all of them. Woods Hole Lakeshore House...again "YELLOW DELI"...does not say. Would suggest a cross next to said areas where we can hostel with Christ. The thinker never asked to be fed...as I talked about earlier RE-READ. I've paid for all services rendered as such you have no right to tell me...pick or choose. THESE PEOPLE have no RIGHT to tell me pray with them...even after paying my MONEY. REGARDLESS too many groups condemn non-believers that is Anti-Christian true Christian Christ accepted all regardless of faith. Actually its my choice to report them to the BBB or fellow hikers...as being hostile toward hikers who dont cow to such abuses. Also being from TEXAS shows me your a Religious Zealot...or was that just GEORGE W.

It's funny you would say that since the reason people call me the thinker is because I have thought so much that I have become a non-religious type. Geographical area has nothing to do with your beliefs.

atmilkman
08-20-2012, 13:00
.treat others how you want to be treated.
Careful with the wording here, it's really close to something out of the Bible.
Matthew 7:12
Luke 6:31

Mountaintop
08-20-2012, 13:05
[QUOTE=IrishBASTARD;1326169]no AWOL does not for all of them. Woods Hole Lakeshore House...again "YELLOW DELI"...does not say. Would suggest a cross next to said areas where we can hostel with Christ. The thinker never asked to be fed...as I talked about earlier RE-READ. I've paid for all services rendered as such you have no right to tell me...pick or choose. THESE PEOPLE have no RIGHT to tell me pray with them...even after paying my MONEY. REGARDLESS too many groups condemn non-believers that is Anti-Christian true Christian Christ accepted all regardless of faith. Actually its my choice to report them to the BBB or fellow hikers...as being hostile toward hikers who dont cow to such abuses. Also being from TEXAS shows me your a Religious Zealot...or was that just GEORGE W.[/QUOT
Texas is a big place. Don't get mad at others for sh$t your guilty of yourself.

Mags
08-20-2012, 13:42
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/25225939.jpg

Thirsty DPD
08-20-2012, 13:59

IB,
I told you what I think about it in my post. You initiated adversity immediately with your OP's title, "RELIGION vs TRUTH on trail". I believe you initiated the thread looking for a fight. You got what you wanted, just say "Uncle" and let's move on.

lemon b
08-20-2012, 13:59
Not much one can do. Either grin and bare it or walk on.

SassyWindsor
08-20-2012, 14:01
I've seen these religious types "trail magic" pamphlets on the sides of trails, no doubt tossed by a passing hiker. Matches with their messages would make for a better ad. However, the pamphlets do start fires pretty good and maybe giving out both would work better.

Rasty
08-20-2012, 14:03
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/25225939.jpg

Beautiful!:)

Blissful
08-20-2012, 14:04

Amen brother. :)

Blissful
08-20-2012, 14:05
By the way John, is next year trail feed schedule out yet?

LOL

That's about the size of it...

Go SOBO and you'll find the magic (or I call it blessings) and angels are real... :)

Rasty
08-20-2012, 14:06
No, I don't think most true Christians are in2 recruiting. They just feel strongly about what they believe and try to share it. Their method of "sharing" leaves much to be desired at times. The Jehovah Witness's ARE on a recruiting mission. They make "brownie points" if they "convert" people. Most Christians mean well but they just lack wisdom, IMHO. I just like to share with people, if the opportunity comes up. Most of the time people ask me or I'm asking them, so it's no big deal to share.

HikerMom - Many Christian sects activily recruit, not just the Jehovah Witness's.

IrishBASTARD
08-20-2012, 14:15
mags re-read the FORUM...a discussion if RELIGION belongs in TRAIL MAGIC. How do you feel it affects you if they ask you to pray etc etc ETC.

T-Rx
08-20-2012, 14:16

Very well said LW. That sums it up nicely.

Train Wreck
08-20-2012, 14:20
mags re-read the FORUM...a discussion if RELIGION belongs in TRAIL MAGIC. How do you feel it affects you if they ask you to pray etc etc ETC.

I am PRAYING you WILL brush UP on THE PROPER USE of CAPS if YOU are FORCING us to LOOK at WHOLE PARAGRAPHS of your RANT.

Mags
08-20-2012, 14:24

And a discussion on religion is about as productive as one on politics... :D

Lone Wolf
08-20-2012, 14:27
STRAIGHT FORWARD

this will be a very strict forum. it is for questions and answers, related to hiking the appalachian trail. any deviation from subject will be deleted.

Thirsty DPD
08-20-2012, 14:28
IrishBASTARD,
Would you like to now close us in prayer?

the goat
08-20-2012, 14:29
LOL

Go SOBO and you'll find the magic (or I call it blessings) and angels are real... :)

so, so true.

hikerboy57
08-20-2012, 14:35
surprises me that with a journey of over 2100 miles that you wouldn't expect to meet people that didn't always agree with you. I shrug my shoulders they're entitled to their beliefs and I'm entitled to mine. it's really not an issue unless you use to make it 1.

atmilkman
08-20-2012, 14:45
LOL

Blissful, I'm attempting my first thru next year at the peak of the season NOBO at the advice and direction of some former thrus. Since it's my first, they reccommended I experience the hoopla and all of the first time. I Have never really experienced any "real" trail magic but I have come up on some water stashes on the Pinhoti and the FNST at some dry and questionable sources and the first words out of my mouth are "Thank God".

Pedaling Fool
08-20-2012, 15:02
In my eyes it does not and it violates my Rights.
Oh the humanity, another poor soul's "Rights" have been violated....geez :rolleyes:

Bronk
08-20-2012, 15:15

My guess is that they see people who are thruhiking as people who are lost spiritually and going into the woods to 'find themselves.' Many are also at transitional points in their lives whether they have just completed high school or college or are having a midlife crisis or are just retiring, have empty nest syndrome, name your cliche. All of these things might make people emotionally vulnerable and thus a good mark. People who are lost often grasp at the easiest solution, and religion provides that easy solution..."just believe" and all your problems will be solved...and they want to catch people during this time of weakness.

HikerMom58
08-20-2012, 15:18
HikerMom - Many Christian sects activily recruit, not just the Jehovah Witness's.

Well, I not very knowledgable about all the different Christian sects but in general I didn't think they "recruit" people. like, I know, for a fact, others do.

I thought this was going to be an interesting thread b/c of the way, I have heard that some "trail angels" do their "trail magic". I think some peeps have a hidden agenda when reaching out to hikers. I strongly disagree with that plan.

The big problem I'm seeing on this site as a "newbie", commenting on threads, is this.... I don't know anyone personally or by interacting with everyone, on this site, yet. I don't know if peeps are just ranting or if they are to be taken seriously... who knew?

perrymk
08-20-2012, 15:19
And a discussion on religion is about as productive as one on politics... :D
Let's discuss dogs, guns, and smoking on the trail instead.

Water Rat
08-20-2012, 15:20

Dogs should not be allowed to smoke, or handle guns. Especially when they on the trail!

HikerMom58
08-20-2012, 15:32

I don't see any of those subjects turning out much better... water isn't a great topic either, it seems. I have to admit that my motivation for reaching out to "the family" may not have been the best.... check, check. :(

Thirsty DPD
08-20-2012, 15:35
Dogs should not be allowed to smoke, or handle guns. Especially when they on the trail!

But dogs don't shoot people, their owners do.

Water Rat
08-20-2012, 15:36

Actually, there have been stories in the news about dogs shooting people... However, their owners did leave the guns loaded and ready to fire.

Water Rat
08-20-2012, 15:39

This is one of the stories that comes to mind...http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-201_162-642135.html

Ratpack
08-20-2012, 15:44
Mr. Irish: I'm curious to know what the folks said to you that offended you so much.

Longfan
08-20-2012, 16:24
Those groups handing out whatever on the trail ar hopeing that it will affect someones life in a positive manner. Understand they are doing you a good deed and either take it or don

As for hostelsthat force prayer on you (Christian or pagan) I do have an issue with that; mainly that which IB has stated it is offensvie. I would not want to be asked to pray to Satan and I understand a person not wanting to pray to a being they do not know or choose to avoid. If the one that I am offended by occured I would leave with or without my money "cheerfully" refunded; but it would be refunded!!

Rocket Jones
08-20-2012, 16:48
Mr. Irish: I'm curious to know what the folks said to you that offended you so much.

Probably whatever is was right after they said, "Another piece of pie?"

Spokes
08-20-2012, 17:08
************ yawn ***********

brian039
08-20-2012, 17:56
surprises me that with a journey of over 2100 miles that you wouldn't expect to meet people that didn't always agree with you. I shrug my shoulders they're entitled to their beliefs and I'm entitled to mine. it's really not an issue unless you use to make it 1.

That's pretty much all that needs to be said. Some people go out of their way to be "offended".

Coosa
08-20-2012, 18:30
Why the anger? If a person doesn't like what someone else is doing or saying, assuming they're not breaking the law and you are compelled to report it, this is still a Free Country ... leave and find a place where you're more content.

No one forces anyone to do anything on the Appalachian Trail and declining a service may be just as important as accepting it. Sometimes ones own peace and sanity are more important than a full tummy.

YMMV, no flames, been there, done that, already apologized.

Papa D
08-20-2012, 19:11
************ yawn ***********

I just clicked over to this post for a second and I couldn't agree more - bye

Drybones
08-20-2012, 19:26
IB...the problem is that you're afraid of God so you try to minimalize Him and remove Him from all of your surroundings but He will always be there, I recognize your problem, I used to have it myself. I will agree there are some dumb christians with good intentions that create more problems than they solve, but they are at least trying. Best trail magic I had was from a Christian couple who asked that we listen to about a 5 minute testimony...well worth it. After eating and returning to the trail I met a young lady sitting on the trail a short distance from the house where we were served, and I do mean served, and told her about the great meal but she had heard there was a Christian theme and was afraid to go. If I had not been in the same condition years earlier I would have thought her crazy for passing up such a great meal for fear of being spoken to about God. If you want to know truth and search for it you will find it. God's not out to hurt you, He's out to help you.

hikerboy57
08-20-2012, 19:33
Oy vey.......,...........

SassyWindsor
08-20-2012, 19:43
I personally don't "get" this thread, and don't care to, but I will say I go hiking to avoid preaching, politics, and any other annoying event(s) that should be left out of the woods. Why anybody wants to ply their beliefs on hikers while they are trying to enjoy the outdoors is really beyond me. I guess the hikers are somewhat of a captive audience and can't flee as easily. Bearing gifts of food and drink attempts to make the hiker even more captive. By the way I drink Heineken.

Drybones
08-20-2012, 20:34
Actually, there have been stories in the news about dogs shooting people... However, their owners did leave the guns loaded and ready to fire.

I like the story Paul Harvey told about a hunter who killed a deer and put his gun on the deer's rack to take a photo, the deer jumped up and ran off with his gun, so for all hunters, there's one out there that can shoot back.

Drybones
08-20-2012, 20:40
As well the A.T is a Government owned area. Therefore any Religous group or ANYONE regardless of Faith...must be insured as well as known to local Rangers. Health Departments where they offer said "trail magic" would be required to cook hotdogs and such at a healthy temp. Its guidelines and such...would not want ANYONE forced off trail because under cooked foods.

I'd say you just need to pass them by and eat what you have...why punish yourself...enjoy!

Water Rat
08-20-2012, 20:45
I like the story Paul Harvey told about a hunter who killed a deer and put his gun on the deer's rack to take a photo, the deer jumped up and ran off with his gun, so for all hunters, there's one out there that can shoot back.

I missed that one! :) I will have to look that one up and have a good laugh. I love it when the animals fight back...

Drybones
08-20-2012, 20:46
I'm pretty sure AWOL tells you if the establishment is religion based or not. Blueberry Patch comes to mind. So it's not like it's a complete shot in the dark.

It's your choice whether or not you want to take up on offers on the side of the trail or if you want to stay at the home of the guy who just opened their door for you. I almost want to say that you are morally indebted to at least listen to them talk while you're eating away on the food they provided. You know, don't bite the hand that feeds you.

I have to ask...why is it so painful to listen to someone speak about a topic you're not interested in...I spent 16 years in school doing it...just humor them...daydream or whatever but there's no reason to get bitter.

Wise Old Owl
08-20-2012, 20:54
Irish Bastard, You'll never understand trail magic with spewing this nonsense. So try a little tact and leave politely if this ever happens again.

Give a damn about your own life and your beliefs. You will be a lot happier than trying to knock other peoples beliefs. Stop blaming religion for life's little problems. You think it'd all be rosey and smooth if people didn't have a religion? Please get real.

Lets put it this way....

It is the duty of religious people to try and convert the intentions are good natured. They believe they are saving a soul or helping expand their eternal being to a better place. They are looking for like minded people, who would enjoy comfort and companionship. Why would you be so fussed over that? There's no obligation to do it and it isn't forceful so whats your problem?

What would have happened if they gave you a speech on Atheism and a sandwich instead of a hot dog, of Kosher Corned Beef and Cabbage?

Irish Bastard you didn't think it through.

"The great Gaels of Ireland are the men that God made mad. For all their wars are merry, and all their songs are sad."
- G.K. Chesterton

kayak karl
08-20-2012, 21:01
I guess the hikers are somewhat of a captive audience and can't flee as easily. Bearing gifts of food and drink attempts to make the hiker even more captive. By the way I drink Heineken.
we are hikers. we have packs and food. i think we can flee better then most.
Nothing is FREE.

Drybones
08-20-2012, 21:01

I agree, if you're supposed to share something with someone God will provide the opportunity, you will not have to look for it. Unfortunately most "Christians" dont understand that the word "testify" means to tell what you have seen, not push theology. If you haven't seen anything you have nothing to testify to.

Drybones
08-20-2012, 21:07
it would be interesting to see who would pray to if you got into a bad nasty scenario out on the trail.........another thing too not everyone can be as perfect as you are especially we Christian folk....if I ever get a chance to meet you I am gonna grab a hold of you and shove my Bible right up your behind and make you like it! i learned how to do that when I was in the joint...

I like your soft approach method...hey...you never know what might work.

Drybones
08-20-2012, 21:17

Well said.

Drybones
08-20-2012, 21:24
I missed that one! :) I will have to look that one up and have a good laugh. I love it when the animals fight back...

I always pull for the bulls at bull fights.

Sarcasm the elf
08-20-2012, 22:10
This is in the straight forward thread?

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x98/proudauntie_2007/troll-b-gone.jpg

That is all...

Heald
08-20-2012, 22:28
RELIGION does it belong in Trail Magic? Would like to ask everyone how you feel about this subject? The worst case for me was in Allan Gap or is it Allen Gap either way...was truly Hell on Earth. Being force fed "Born Again" beliefs over food. Could I had walked away yes...but they never said they were Religious just "free food". To me that is truly sickening preaching in the name of God and the Almighty. Religious CULT'S savoring over said ignorant or lonely hikers..."YELLOW DELI" I mean you. Would like AWOLS future books to warn people if they are requires to prayer let alone sell their souls for a coke.

Genrally I'm just to tired to care if someone(s) is talking at me about such a thing (religion). If they're feeding me I mean. I'm usually to hungry, and much to tired to hear anything past what the weather is doing, and that kind of junk. So I can't say I was ever bothered when it happens, and it does happen. I just respectively munch away, and nod head. If it's a hostel, like most hikers I'm down for the count early. And I wouldn't be inclined to zero I guess. I suppose you've got yourself a problem then? A problem that is sometimes hard to pass up. That sucks dude.

Don H
08-20-2012, 22:30
IrishBASTARD (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?34541-IrishBASTARD),
I'm glad you weighed in here, I've been wonder how you made out on your attempted through. How far did you get before you had to get off the trail? You met several people I know along the way.

elmotoots
08-20-2012, 22:47
When I am hungry I turn into a very serious eater.

I usually don't talk or listen very well when I am eating.

So they can talk all they want if they are feeding me.

If they want to talk and then feed me, when I am already hungry, I am gone.

Another Kevin
08-20-2012, 23:00
If there's no place for religion on the trail, then why do I hear of so many people thanking God when they make it to Katahdin? Must their voices be silenced?

Donde
08-20-2012, 23:02
What a load of bull. I am not a Christian, and I stayed at a couple Church Hostels, and the Blueberry Patch (missed all this feedin' by starting early I guess) and was not once harassed or pressured or any other non sense by any Christians. The only prayin' I saw in any these was a man saying grace at his own table. If a man sayin' grace at his own table offends you, you 'ought to do some hard thinkin' about the concept of liberty, and your supposed rights.

Earlier comments on Heineken are quite offensive though. "Heineken Schmieneken F that SH Pabst Blue Ribbion"

hobby
08-20-2012, 23:14
has anyone seen 'Roadside'? He was a great guy and tremendous hiker, and a born again Christian.

Rasty
08-20-2012, 23:22
has anyone seen 'Roadside'? He was a great guy and tremendous hiker, and a born again Christian.

He is on the last 1/3 of the trail. The spiritual part!

silverscuba22
08-20-2012, 23:27
He is on the last 1/3 of the trail. The spiritual part!

he had to take a short time off trail to pick up IB in new york, becuase they were such good friends he couldnt just leave him in a time of need.

attroll
08-20-2012, 23:56
Moved this thread/topic to the "General" forum.

fredmugs
08-21-2012, 01:15

WHAT? Is that you Bill Bryson?

Coffee Rules!
08-21-2012, 02:10
IB...the problem is that you're afraid of God so you try to minimalize Him

Are you speaking strictly about IB or do you lump all of us who think for ourselves into the same bucket? If it's the latter, you couldn't be further from the truth. I don't fear that which doesn't exist. You theists are the ones who are afraid, for the most part. Afraid to try life on your own without someone to blame when things go wrong. Afraid to die without thinking there's more. It's not hard to do.

I'm not at all defending IB, because he's a blathering idiot, but to say we fear your imaginary friend just because we don't want to be around a bunch of bible beaters spewing silliness doesn't make us afraid. My only fear when around that kind of crap is that I won't be able to hold my tongue and refrain from telling them just how wrong they are, which is generally accompanied by a lot of sarcasm. Rather than offend, I get away and leave them be. If only more theists would do the same.

Coffee Rules!
08-21-2012, 02:12
I'd say you just need to pass them by and eat what you have...why punish yourself...enjoy!

THAT I can agree with.

Coffee Rules!
08-21-2012, 02:19
What would have happened if they gave you a speech on Atheism and a sandwich instead of a hot dog, of Kosher Corned Beef and Cabbage?

I can't speak for IB but I'd pass on that, too. I already know I don't believe. I don't want to listen to some pseudo-intellectual rave on about how deep and philosophical he/she is for not believing, which in my experience is most often the type of atheist you'd be likely to find in a setting where they're spewing it for all to hear. I don't see why they want to make it so complicated. I don't believe in God or any other deity. Tada! I don't believe in Santa Claus either, but I don't prattle on about that.

moytoy
08-21-2012, 02:50
IB I noticed there have been over 2600 viewers of this thread in less than 24 hours and most of them passed on without lambasting or agreeing with you. That, in my opinion is what you should have done. If your confident in your beliefs then I don't see the need to spew your "hate" at people who have not hurt you in any way.

fiddlehead
08-21-2012, 05:15
I can't help but to imagine how different this thread would be if these were Muslim people offering the free food for converting.

Coffee Rules!
08-21-2012, 06:04
+1 for troof, fiddle.

IrishBASTARD
08-21-2012, 08:10
KEVIN never once did I say who the HIKERS should pray or not pray for. Ive said does RELIGION belong in trail MAGIC...please re-read what I wrote. Dont care who people pray to silently as Prayer is meant to be said. Not once did I ever say or bring up hikers as condemning them for their Religion actual HIKERS...not just people out preaching and beating the Bible. WHOEVER you want to thank when you finish is your own business. I talked about TRAIL MAGIC..and being forced to hear Religion by accepting food/drinks.

IrishBASTARD
08-21-2012, 08:19
Those groups handing out whatever on the trail ar hopeing that it will affect someones life in a positive manner. Understand they are doing you a good deed and either take it or don

As for hostelsthat force prayer on you (Christian or pagan) I do have an issue with that; mainly that which IB has stated it is offensvie. I would not want to be asked to pray to Satan and I understand a person not wanting to pray to a being they do not know or choose to avoid. If the one that I am offended by occured I would leave with or without my money "cheerfully" refunded; but it would be refunded!!

YEA not sure where SATAN plays a role anywhere in this forum. Ive stated prayer and cult like groups...which are JUDO-Christian in their beliefs."YELLOW DELI" it effects no one in a positive light as I offered thanks ONCE...and was refused to pray as I saw fit. Thanking family friends for giving me support and such. RELIGION can break and divide as easily as it leads away from a "positive manner". Ive walked out on hearing about the Religious BS. Blue berry patch was a unique experience as one...prayer was required as I was told. WOODS HOLE HOSTEL was the worst being forced to "volunteer your time and help out"...the owner was being nice and pushy at the same time. PLEASE dont think I was work for STAY none of us were...but still forced to clean and keep the place tidy. PLEASE hire some local kids who can use the money. The circle thing thanking why your their...is just as bad as a prayer. I thank myself for getting off my lazy butt and HIKING...and of course family and friends. BUT ALL and all AWOL should write up ALL groups with either a CROSS or other symbol that states they want prayer or thanks...that easy (its not that easy really).

Pedaling Fool
08-21-2012, 08:30
This is exactly why you shouldn't feed the bears (or hikers); not only do they come to expect food, the get down right ornery when it's not provided to their standards :rolleyes:

Trail Magic, what a freakin' joke

max patch
08-21-2012, 08:46
WOODS HOLE HOSTEL was the worst being forced to "volunteer your time and help out"...the owner was being nice and pushy at the same time. PLEASE dont think I was work for STAY none of us were...but still forced to clean and keep the place tidy. PLEASE hire some local kids who can use the money.

Are you really bitching about being asked to push a broom and pick up after yourself a bit? Hostels ain't a Holiday Inn.

Water Rat
08-21-2012, 08:47
YEA not sure where SATAN plays a role anywhere in this forum. Ive stated prayer and cult like groups...which are JUDO-Christian in their beliefs."YELLOW DELI" it effects no one in a positive light as I offered thanks ONCE...and was refused to pray as I saw fit. Thanking family friends for giving me support and such. RELIGION can break and divide as easily as it leads away from a "positive manner". Ive walked out on hearing about the Religious BS. Blue berry patch was a unique experience as one...prayer was required as I was told. WOODS HOLE HOSTEL was the worst being forced to "volunteer your time and help out"...the owner was being nice and pushy at the same time. PLEASE dont think I was work for STAY none of us were...but still forced to clean and keep the place tidy. PLEASE hire some local kids who can use the money. The circle thing thanking why your their...is just as bad as a prayer. I thank myself for getting off my lazy butt and HIKING...and of course family and friends. BUT ALL and all AWOL should write up ALL groups with either a CROSS or other symbol that states they want prayer or thanks...that easy (its not that easy really).

Maybe you should write a book about all the hostels that are affiliated with ANY religion on the trail. Why leave it up to AWOL, when it clearly bugs you?

Thirsty DPD
08-21-2012, 08:50
Maybe you should write a book about all the hostels that are affiliated with ANY religion on the trail. Why leave it up to AWOL, when it clearly bugs you?

We're well into the first chapter.

Water Rat
08-21-2012, 08:53
We're well into the first chapter.

Well, there ya go! The book is practically writing itself. :)

TOW
08-21-2012, 09:06
Lone Wolf could probably tell you more of the story but there was a guy here that got shot by his dog. He laid a .22 rifle in the seat of his truck and forgot it was there. He and his pooch had been out doing something and decided it was time to leave. The pooch jumps into the truck on the drivers side and goes to its place by the passenger side and steps onto the trigger and shoots the poor chap right into his thigh as he is attempting to board the vehicle. True story..

Thirsty DPD
08-21-2012, 09:10
Lone Wolf could probably tell you more of the story but there was a guy here that got shot by his dog. He laid a .22 rifle in the seat of his truck and forgot it was there. He and his pooch had been out doing something and decided it was time to leave. The pooch jumps into the truck on the drivers side and goes to its place by the passenger side and steps onto the trigger and shoots the poor chap right into his thigh as he is attempting to board the vehicle. True story..

Yep, dog's don't shoot people, they just squeeze the trigger.

Water Rat
08-21-2012, 09:13

I have heard a few stories like this! Always cracks me up when the animals fight back... Can't you just hear the dog? "And THAT was for switching over to that nasty, cheap dog food! Take that! Who's the master now?!"

Rasty
08-21-2012, 09:25

Yep, dog's don't shoot people, they just squeeze the trigger.

Giving a dog a gun is just asking for trouble.

Thirsty DPD
08-21-2012, 09:27
I have heard a few stories like this! Always cracks me up when the animals fight back... Can't you just hear the dog? "And THAT was for switching over to that nasty, cheap dog food! Take that! Who's the master now?!"

"....and another thing, don't ever ask me to volunteer or help out around here, it's against my religion!"

Water Rat
08-21-2012, 09:27

And dogs are happy creatures... Can you imagine what would happen if you gave a cat a gun??? :eek:

Water Rat
08-21-2012, 09:29
"....and another thing, don't ever ask me to volunteer or help out around here, it's against my religion!"

"...and you can forget about having me guard all your worthless stuff! Stupid human! You should have gone UL like I did!"

Rasty
08-21-2012, 09:31
and dogs are happy creatures... Can you imagine what would happen if you gave a cat a gun??? :eek:

the end of the world!

Correction - the end of the human and dog world!

Water Rat
08-21-2012, 09:32
the end of the world!

Correction - the end of the human and dog world!

No more squirrels, birds, or SHELTER MICE!

Rasty
08-21-2012, 09:34
No more squirrels, birds, or SHELTER MICE!

Good thing Cats are too lazy to reload!

Water Rat
08-21-2012, 09:35
Good thing Cats are too lazy to reload!

Well, they just want you to think that... They are really using that time to plot. I'll bet if you forget to put out more kitty crunchies the cat would learn how to reload. Might wanna rethink tying a box to its tail, though.

Majortrauma
08-21-2012, 09:41
What does this idiotic thread have to do with hiking? This should be archived in the "Most worthless/vacuous WB threads ever" category.

Rasty
08-21-2012, 09:42
Well, they just want you to think that... They are really using that time to plot. I'll bet if you forget to put out more kitty crunchies the cat would learn how to reload. Might wanna rethink tying a box to its tail, though.

I did rethink that. The problem is that the cat won't go in the box when it up the tree because all the litter fell out when it was climbing the tree!

Rasty
08-21-2012, 09:43
What does this idiotic thread have to do with hiking? This should be archived in the "Most worthless/vacuous WB threads ever" category.

100% Agree! It is time to ridicule and belittle this thread.:)

Water Rat
08-21-2012, 09:44
I did rethink that. The problem is that the cat won't go in the box when it up the tree because all the litter fell out when it was climbing the tree!

But... Now, kitty has a gun. Are you really gonna tie that box to its tail? Or, are you gonna start praying?

Water Rat

Oh, can we start that now?

Mags
which are JUDO-Christian in their beliefs.

Is that, you know, like ninjas or something? That would be totally killer...

http://www.newlin-deschler.com/Pictures/dvorak/JesusNinjaThumb.jpg

Water Rat
08-21-2012, 09:46
Is that, you know, like ninjas or something? That would be totally killer...

http://www.newlin-deschler.com/Pictures/dvorak/JesusNinjaThumb.jpg

Okay - New thread. Cyber Ninjas vs. Kitties With Guns... Who will win?

Thirsty DPD
08-21-2012, 10:00
Okay - New thread. Cyber Ninjas vs. Kitties With Guns... Who will win?

The cats, that instinctive, cunning, sneaky, don't give a hoot, nothin' to loose, won't blink quality.

Water Rat
08-21-2012, 10:04
The cats, that instinctive, cunning, sneaky, don't give a hoot, nothin' to loose, won't blink quality.

I think you're right... But, will the ninjas pray, or force those around them to pray with them?

WingedMonkey
08-21-2012, 10:05

How many cyber cafes can one site handle?

Creek Dancer
08-21-2012, 10:08
I vote that this thread gets the award for the most creative thread drift. :)

Rasty
08-21-2012, 10:08
How many cyber cafes can one site handle?

You are correct! Back to the Cafe. I couldn't resist making a mockery of Irish Bastard's ridiculous post's. Sorry!:)

Water Rat
08-21-2012, 10:09

I'd like to thank the Academy... :)

Thirsty DPD
08-21-2012, 10:14
I think you're right... But, will the ninjas pray, or force those around them to pray with them?

Good point......if they pray, the cats win, if forced to pray the resulting rage will act like a can of spinach.

Water Rat
08-21-2012, 10:18
Good point......if they pray, the cats win, if forced to pray the resulting rage will act like a can of spinach.

Even with the ninja rage... Kitty still has a Glock. Does ninja feel lucky? Huh? Does he?

weary
08-21-2012, 10:18
IB...the problem is that you're afraid of God so you try to minimalize Him and remove Him from all of your surroundings but He will always be there, I recognize your problem, I used to have it myself. I will agree there are some dumb christians with good intentions that create more problems than they solve, but they are at least trying. Best trail magic I had was from a Christian couple who asked that we listen to about a 5 minute testimony...well worth it. After eating and returning to the trail I met a young lady sitting on the trail a short distance from the house where we were served, and I do mean served, and told her about the great meal but she had heard there was a Christian theme and was afraid to go. If I had not been in the same condition years earlier I would have thought her crazy for passing up such a great meal for fear of being spoken to about God. If you want to know truth and search for it you will find it. God's not out to hurt you, He's out to help you.
That's a cliche answer. Personally, I listen to anyone, at least for a bit to find out if they have anything new to say. But I imagine some people who have devoted anytime to the study of religion have heard enough of the contradictions over the centuries of religious history. Millions have died in wars in which both sides believed God was their ally.

Not long ago Christians burned people alive in order to save them. In Pakistan today the crowds of believers are clamoring for the right to stone to death a young, mentally handicapped kid for starting a cooking fire so she could eat with paper that unknown to her contained pages from a "HOLY" book. Humans have the ability to believe weird things.

Gray Blazer
08-21-2012, 10:21
Oh the humanity, another poor soul's "Rights" have been violated....geez :rolleyes:

Apparently causing brain damage and thread drift. Stop the hate-ing.

Thirsty DPD
08-21-2012, 10:22
Even with the ninja rage... Kitty still has a Glock. Does ninja feel lucky? Huh? Does he?

I considered the Glock, but remember the rage of the OP..........if only he can find a can of spinach in the hiker box!

Water Rat
08-21-2012, 10:24
I considered the Glock, but remember the rage of the OP..........if only he can find a can of spinach in the hiker box!

True... Hmmm. But, how many cans of spinach would that take, what would be the weight of all those cans, and how likely is it someone would just dump the cans AFTER carrying them to the shelter?

Gray Blazer
08-21-2012, 10:24
I can't help but to imagine how different this thread would be if these were Muslim people offering the free food for converting.

I kill you!!

bwburgin1015
08-21-2012, 10:26
I'm not quite sure how you have a "RIGHT" to believe Christianity is false and you can express that belief...but those who believe it is true have no "RIGHT" to express their belief. It seems the hypocrisy here is from you. It's like the old saying... "Intolerance will not be tolerated."

Thirsty DPD
08-21-2012, 10:31
True... Hmmm. But, how many cans of spinach would that take, what would be the weight of all those cans, and how likely is it someone would just dump the cans AFTER carrying them to the shelter?

He would'nt think to look in the box, Glock wins. He is scary though.

Water Rat
08-21-2012, 10:33
He would'nt think to look in the box, Glock wins. He is scary though.

Well, the free box does attract hikers and might come with a sermon...

Thirsty DPD
08-21-2012, 10:40
Well, the free box does attract hikers and might come with a sermon...

If the cats bait the box,...........

Water Rat
08-21-2012, 10:41
If the cats bait the box,...........

That would be hard to do. The boxes are tied to their tails and the cats are up in the trees.

Rasty
08-21-2012, 10:43
That would be hard to do. The boxes are tied to their tails and the cats are up in the trees.

I just tried to tie the box to the cats tail, but it keeps slipping off. Any suggestions?

TOW
08-21-2012, 10:44
I 2nd that opinion...

Water Rat
08-21-2012, 10:44
I just tried to tie the box to the cats tail, but it keeps slipping off. Any suggestions?

Duct tape? The pink kind...

atmilkman
08-21-2012, 10:45
Are these the same boxes all the preachers are standing on at the trailheads cooking up that old time religion for dinner.

Rasty
08-21-2012, 10:49
Are these the same boxes all the preachers are standing on at the trailheads cooking up that old time religion for dinner.

You don't want to eat anything out of that box. Who do you think you are Stimpson "Stimpy" J. Cat?

Rasty
I 2nd that opinion...

Thanks!:) .

TOW
Hey IB, would you like to become a Christian? Just doing my duty of getting this thread back on track....:banana

Majortrauma
I can't find my "LIKE" button for that comment

Water Rat
08-21-2012, 10:51

I think rastraikis would have a hard time tying a box (with a preacher still on it) to the cat's tail...

Rasty
08-21-2012, 10:54
Hey IB, would you like to become a Christian? Just doing my duty of getting this thread back on track....:banana

I wonder if he's Catholic? Maybe just hasn't been to church in a while and needs good confession.

Rasty
08-21-2012, 10:54
I think rastraikis would have a hard time tying a box (with a preacher still on it) to the cat's tail...

Do you think staples would work? I was thinking the big staples that they use to staple cardboard boxes.

Water Rat
08-21-2012, 10:55
I wonder if he's Catholic? Maybe just hasn't been to church in a while and needs good confession.

He'll have to hitchhike... He just scared anyone (who is religious) off who would have given him a ride to church.

TOW
08-21-2012, 10:56
I'll be the Father and let him confess to me, but first of all I need to get that electric chair all wired up that he will be sitting on in the the little booth nest to me. I think I will even have a squirt gun....

Water Rat
08-21-2012, 10:59
I'll be the Father and let him confess to me, but first of all I need to get that electric chair all wired up that he will be sitting on in the the little booth nest to me. I think I will even have a squirt gun....

Don't forget to say, "Wrong answer," as you give him a little jolt. That'll put the fear in him!

atmilkman
08-21-2012, 11:00
Get one of those electric fly swatters and make him lick it every time he lies.

Water Rat
08-21-2012, 11:01
Get one of those electric fly swatters and make him lick it every time he lies.

But how would he be able to talk with all the non-stop licking going on?

Gray Blazer
08-21-2012, 11:57
Don't forget to say, "Wrong answer," as you give him a little jolt. That'll put the fear in him!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqgZnvfJ9Jg&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1&safe=active

The Grand Inquisitor

Chaco Taco
08-21-2012, 12:10
In response to the OP, if you dont like it or dont want to hear it, you arent obligated to stay or eat. Just move along. I dont see how this is even an issue

Wise Old Owl
08-21-2012, 12:16
Forum : Appalachian Trail : Forums : General : RELIGION vs TRUTH on trial

http://scrimac.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/snl-church-lady.jpg

sublimety
08-21-2012, 12:38
I started reading this to just get feel for the community feeling on this, but what I end up seeing is the same thing that I see on alot of these posts. It breaks down to personal attacks (granted the original post seemed aggresive). When I first signed up for White Blazes I thought it would be a more polite forum where people treated others with dignity and respect and unfortunately I see a lack of that. I realize I have the choice of reading or not reading, being a member or not being a member, so on and so forth. Maybe I had to lofty of expectations, I suppose that is my fault. Hike your own hike and treat others the way you would want to be treated. Just my humble two scents.

the goat
08-21-2012, 12:48
In response to the OP, if you dont like it or dont want to hear it, you arent obligated to stay or eat. Just move along. I dont see how this is even an issue

couldn't agree more!

earlyriser26
08-21-2012, 12:52
Wow, just walk away. For a non-believer the OP sure seems to believe.

Lone Wolf
08-21-2012, 12:57

yup. said basically the same thing 150 posts ago. what a dumb thread

Sarcasm the elf
08-21-2012, 13:21
I started reading this to just get feel for the community feeling on this, but what I end up seeing is the same thing that I see on alot of these posts. It breaks down to personal attacks (granted the original post seemed aggresive). When I first signed up for White Blazes I thought it would be a more polite forum where people treated others with dignity and respect and unfortunately I see a lack of that. I realize I have the choice of reading or not reading, being a member or not being a member, so on and so forth. Maybe I had to lofty of expectations, I suppose that is my fault. Hike your own hike and treat others the way you would want to be treated. Just my humble two scents.Yup, you nailed it, the tone of the posts on this site ebbs and flows, but it's been dissappointingly hostile for the last few months. Unfortunately there are a number of people who don't understand that there's a difference between saying "I disagree with your comment" and "I disagree with your comment, therefore your an idiot." Personally I have a very low tolerance for people who post the latter.

Wanderlost
08-21-2012, 13:58
Yup, you nailed it, the tone of the posts on this site ebbs and flows, but it's been dissappointingly hostile for the last few months. Unfortunately there are a number of people who don't understand that there's a difference between saying "I disagree with your comment" and "I disagree with your comment, therefore your an idiot." Personally I have a very low tolerance for people who post the latter.

x2 on this AND Sublimety's post....

BFI
08-21-2012, 14:05
Hmmm.................. I did hear a lot of hikers kind of praying, a lot of G Damn its and J Christs when the trail got steep or tough.

FlyPaper
08-21-2012, 15:35
My guess is that they see people who are thruhiking as people who are lost spiritually and going into the woods to 'find themselves.' Many are also at transitional points in their lives whether they have just completed high school or college or are having a midlife crisis or are just retiring, have empty nest syndrome, name your cliche. All of these things might make people emotionally vulnerable and thus a good mark. People who are lost often grasp at the easiest solution, and religion provides that easy solution..."just believe" and all your problems will be solved...and they want to catch people during this time of weakness.

More likely, they just think there are many lost people everywhere and they happen to either be in proximity to the trail, or enjoy hiking themselves.

fredmugs
08-21-2012, 15:44
Years ago Dave Barry made a comment that "People who want you to listen to their religious views are never willing to hear yours." Next time you encounter someone like the OP did just offer them 10 minutes of your time if you are allowed to speak for 10 minutes first. For about the last 20 years that has worked really well for me.

daddytwosticks
08-21-2012, 15:50
Why don't we all stop this arguement and go out and hike.

FlyPaper
08-21-2012, 15:52
Religion DOES NOT BELONG ON TRAIL EVER.

Hmm. What about pesky grandparents telling you about their grandchildren? Should that EVER be on the trail? What if I don't want to hear about grandkids?

You're on the trail, you converse with people (if you choose to be around them). Topics come up that are interesting to them. Sometimes, for all of us, we're not as interested as the person we're listening to. Somehow we deal with it, but the anti-thesists claim the RIGHT to not ever be in an awkward conversation.

What if two people who are religious plan a hike together? Are they allowed to discuss religion with each other? What if someone overhears them? Has that person's RIGHT been violated?

If two religious people meet up on the trail, is protocol so tight that they're not allowed to even say enough to discover this mutual interest?

Drybones
08-21-2012, 15:54

Giving me a gun is asking for trouble...shot myself in the back once.

hikernutcasey
08-21-2012, 16:59
I would like to add a comment or two to address some common misconceptions that I have noticed while reading through this thread. This is in no way to condemn anyone but rather to try and explain my side of the debate.

If you are a non-believer, I think you must try and understand the Christian's motivation - I can't speak for every Christian but my motivation for sharing my faith with someone is not to condemn them. My motivation is based on commandments from Jesus. As a Christ follower, which is the definition of a Christian, I am commanded to love my neighbor as myself. I believe there is a heaven and a hell and as a believer I do not want to see anyone miss out on heaven, therefore it is out of love that I share my faith with someone. Most folks who are not familiar with Christianity do not know much about the Scriptures but in Matthew 28 Christ commands his followers to take his gospel to the entire world. If you truly are a Christian you are commanded to share the gospel of Christ.

I do wish Christians would think before they act sometimes. As other posters have said, sometimes good intentions don't always manifest into the best of actions. We get a bad name when some nut who claims to be a Christian does something outrageous (i.e. the church who pickets fallen soldiers funerals). There are always going to be people who do things that are not in line with what the majority of us believe.

The next time someone tries to share their faith with you just humor them for a second. Engage them and ask them questions. Try not to be so defensive and remember that they are not trying to force their beliefs on you. They just want to share what Christ has done for them and would like to see other people experience that same love in their own lives. God bless.

Lone Wolf
08-21-2012, 17:04
I would like to add a comment or two to address some common misconceptions that I have noticed while reading through this thread. This is in no way to condemn anyone but rather to try and explain my side of the debate.

If you are a non-believer, I think you must try and understand the Christian's motivation - I can't speak for every Christian but my motivation for sharing my faith with someone is not to condemn them. My motivation is based on commandments from Jesus. As a Christ follower, which is the definition of a Christian, I am commanded to love my neighbor as myself. I believe there is a heaven and a hell and as a believer I do not want to see anyone miss out on heaven, therefore it is out of love that I share my faith with someone. Most folks who are not familiar with Christianity do not know much about the Scriptures but in Matthew 28 Christ commands his followers to take his gospel to the entire world. If you truly are a Christian you are commanded to share the gospel of Christ.

I do wish Christians would think before they act sometimes. As other posters have said, sometimes good intentions don't always manifest into the best of actions. We get a bad name when some nut who claims to be a Christian does something outrageous (i.e. the church who pickets fallen soldiers funerals). There are always going to be people who do things that are not in line with what the majority of us believe.

The next time someone tries to share their faith with you just humor them for a second. Engage them and ask them questions. Try not to be so defensive and remember that they are not trying to force their beliefs on you. They just want to share what Christ has done for them and would like to see other people experience that same love in their own lives. God bless.
very nice post

Bronk
08-21-2012, 17:09

Most hikers wouldn't complain as long as they were fed five times a day.

ekeverette
08-21-2012, 17:11
all I can assume is this irish bastard guy is an alcoholic....... you can pretty much tell. he really knows how to get folks going!!!

Coffee Rules!
08-21-2012, 17:12

On the flip side of that, if I tell you I don't want to hear it, shut the heck up and leave me alone. Just because you think you're commanded to do so doesn't mean I have to listen to it, and I shouldn't always have to be the one to get up and leave or listen. I'm speaking in general here, not the situation to which the OP refers. In his situation(s) he should just move along. But if we're just meeting on the street, or the trail, or in Wal-Mart and you want to "share the love?" No, sorry. Keep it to yourself.

hikerboy57
08-21-2012, 17:23
You can express love without reciting scripture
the young nobo who downclimbed.2miles and back to refill my water when i was hurt on chairback,now that was christian.save the rhetoric,just walk the walk.in either casr,i dont mind listening.we have 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason.

IrishBASTARD
08-21-2012, 18:38
ODDLY the only ones arguing with such venom and HATE for me...are Southern based odd. Perhaps its your area of the trail I hated so much...I thought to get off trail. Too many people have said its my option to take the magic or not...yea its also my right to walk away or face it head on. Im not one to cower away from a situation on trail...unless my life is in danger. But I have hiked with all RELIGIONS known to be factual...not the made up cult like ones. Catholics Jews Muslims have hiked with the BIG THREE...yes I typed that (going to Hell). Born again Christians are the worst...they NEVER let up or let you be on trail. WHO HAS MET "PREACHER MAN" this year will tell you about that situation. Being condemned for not following a born again christian is worse then dealing...with an vengeful EX. But as such I dont support RELIGION ANYWHERE ON TRAIL...quote me all you want. To preach or to speak of religon with ANYONE who does NOT WANT TO HEAR IT...is it violation of their Rights. AMERICA's freedom of Religion is based on THE USA...will not force its citizens to follow one or any religion. Meaning it does NOT support religion in any way what so ever.

TD55
08-21-2012, 18:58
Hey, Mr. IrishBastard, no one here is showing hate or venom towards you. Some are making fun of you, but you brought that on yourself. Using multiple user names and promoting yourself by using one to support the other is a form of dishonesty and trickery. You got caught doing that. You confirmed yourself as a less than credible person. You confirmed youself as a liar. Still folks here have laughed it off and at this point are just entertained at your silliness and dopey ideas. Do you honestly believe that a person doesn't have the right to promote their religion, politics, ideas, etc. when they meet you on the trail? What do you think free speech is all about? Peace, out.

Thirsty DPD
08-21-2012, 19:49
ODDLY the only ones arguing with such venom and HATE for me...are Southern based odd. Perhaps its your area of the trail I hated so much...I thought to get off trail. Too many people have said its my option to take the magic or not...yea its also my right to walk away or face it head on. Im not one to cower away from a situation on trail...unless my life is in danger. But I have hiked with all RELIGIONS known to be factual...not the made up cult like ones. Catholics Jews Muslims have hiked with the BIG THREE...yes I typed that (going to Hell). Born again Christians are the worst...they NEVER let up or let you be on trail. WHO HAS MET "PREACHER MAN" this year will tell you about that situation. Being condemned for not following a born again christian is worse then dealing...with an vengeful EX. But as such I dont support RELIGION ANYWHERE ON TRAIL...quote me all you want. To preach or to speak of religon with ANYONE who does NOT WANT TO HEAR IT...is it violation of their Rights. AMERICA's freedom of Religion is based on THE USA...will not force its citizens to follow one or any religion. Meaning it does NOT support religion in any way what so ever.

Spokes, Woo, somebody stop me, am I wasting my time.

IB,
No one is arguing with you, you are arguingwith them. You want to fight (argue) with everyone that disagrees with you. I am not from the south, nor are the folks you're so angry with from your OP. Do yourself a favor, find a mirror and take a look, there is the source of your problems, that's who your really angry with. Try to see what others see. I'm not belittleing you or making fun of you, I'm serious. You're going about getting everyones attention all wrong. Get the attention of the guy in the mirror, he's the person you need to win over. I bet the problems you had before your thru hike, you had during your hike. You had them in Springer all the way to Monson, and again on WB, same junk the whole way. It's as if you were carrying two packs. Take a look in the one and see what you need to get rid of, go ultralite.

Chaco Taco
08-21-2012, 20:00
Dude, you really need to unplug and go hike or start smokin weed or something

ekeverette
08-21-2012, 20:05
he's drinking again!!! don't fuel his crap!!

Drybones
08-21-2012, 20:41

I wonder why it's freedom of religion and not freedom from religion?

elmotoots
08-21-2012, 21:53
Quote (The next time someone tries to share their faith with you just humor them for a second. Engage them and ask them questions. Try not to be so defensive and remember that they are not trying to force their beliefs on you. They just want to share what Christ has done for them and would like to see other people experience that same love in their own lives. God bless.) end quote

It does not matter if its someone standing outside walmart wanting money, or someone trying to share their faith. If I feel like listening I will.

But if I tell you no thanks, that means I do not want to humor you, so leave me alone. ( this is not verbal attack of you or your faith )

Its just a fact, sometimes I want to be left alone.

Don H
08-21-2012, 21:59
IrishBASTARD (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?34541-IrishBASTARD),
I'm glad you weighed in here, I've been wonder how you made out on your attempted through. How far did you get before you had to get off the trail? You met several people I know along the way.

In case you missed it IB, how was your hike?

Feral Bill
08-21-2012, 23:12
I can't help but to imagine how different this thread would be if these were Muslim people offering the free food for converting. One thing for sure: the food would be way better. Eleven months of the year, anyway.

Coffee Rules!
08-21-2012, 23:50
ODDLY the only ones arguing with such venom and HATE for me...are Southern based odd.

Not the only ones. I live in North Carolina but I was born and raised a Yankee, and am currently in another country. To top it off, I'm an atheist. I still think you're the biggest douche canoe I've seen on here, over and above two others I think are raging a**h**es. You have no clue, you generalize, you think your rights are the only ones that matter, and you seem to think it's okay to shove what you believe down the throats of others but they can't do the same. I believe that last part is the very definition of hypocrisy. All in all, you're a five star d*ck.

Coffee Rules!
08-22-2012, 00:00
quote me all you want.

I don't normally quote ignorant or mentally disturbed people.

AMERICA's freedom of Religion is based on THE USA...

Huh?

fiddlehead
08-22-2012, 00:14
One thing for sure: the food would be way better. Eleven months of the year, anyway.

You really think so?
I live near a Muslim village and they had a food fair a few months ago.
We went to check it out and I thought the food was OK but wasn't impressed.
Lots of fried chicken, that's for sure.

As for the rest of this thread, Chill out folks!
If indeed the OP had someone tell him he had to be a Christian to eat the free food, then he has a valid point.
It does get old sometimes, all this raving about your lord.

I'd just as soon leave religious beliefs a personal matter ONLY!
No need to bring it up. No need to harp on it.
Let me raise my children the way I see fit. Not the way YOU see fit.

Lone Wolf
08-22-2012, 05:28
One thing for sure: the food would be way better. Eleven months of the year, anyway.

how so? no bacon or smoked ribs. just some stinkin' goat

Lone Wolf
08-22-2012, 05:31
I still think you're the biggest douche canoe I've seen on here, over and above two others I think are raging a**h**es. All in all, you're a five star d*ck.

wow. you fit the bill too. very negative, angry stuff. i thought you quit this site?

Coffee Rules!
08-22-2012, 05:42
Look in the mirror, LW.

So I came back. Deal with it. Can't let you and those like you win.

Lone Wolf
08-22-2012, 05:43
Look in the mirror, LW.

So I came back. Deal with it. Can't let you and those like you win.

oh you're being silly

JohnWayne
08-22-2012, 06:06
Irish Bastard (aka:Roadside) I reckon that you are just some troll who probably goes by several names here. Someone gets bored on WB and stirs the pot. Gets everyone going. You have no credibility because what kind of fool needs attention so badly that he has to praise his "alter ego" on a website to make himself look good? I reckon that's just pretty darn pathetic. Do yourself a favor and find two more names because you ain't going to be taken seriously again.

Welcome back Coffee Rules. Hotel WhiteBlaze sure beats where you are at.

moytoy
08-22-2012, 06:20
Irish Bastard (aka:Roadside) Hotel WhiteBlaze sure beats where you are at.

I don't know it that discription of WB has been used before but I like it. And it fits some of the content here. :)

Cherokee Bill
08-22-2012, 06:44
Irish Bastard (aka:Roadside) I reckon that you are just some troll who probably goes by several names here. Someone gets bored on WB and stirs the pot. Gets everyone going. You have no credibility because what kind of fool needs attention so badly that he has to praise his "alter ego" on a website to make himself look good? I reckon that's just pretty darn pathetic. Do yourself a favor and find two more names because you ain't going to be taken seriously again.

----- Well said------

Gray Blazer
08-22-2012, 06:56
Irish Bastard (aka:Roadside)

You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave?

Chaco Taco
08-22-2012, 06:56
I see not much has really changed around here...:rolleyes:

JohnWayne
08-22-2012, 07:15
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave?

:welcome to the Hotel WhiteBlaze...

coach lou
08-22-2012, 07:53
:welcome to the Hotel WhiteBlaze...

There's a Chapel/Cafe down in the Lobby;)

Don H
08-22-2012, 08:10
I took advantage of every opportunity for trail magic there was last year. I enjoyed meeting the local people and I did notice that many in the south were there as members of a church, mostly it seemed Baptists. Never did anyone make me feel like I had to listen to a sermon as a condition of receiving anything. Never was anyone pushy or impolite. Many times (the church breakfast in Franklin comes to mind) there was no mention at all about religion, just kind people willing to help hikers.

Eighty-Eight
08-22-2012, 09:34
Just wear a "Viva La Evolution" t-shirt and explain that given enough faith, that hot-dog really should turn into a Porterhouse eventually...

Feral Bill
08-22-2012, 11:28
how so? no bacon or smoked ribs. just some stinkin' goat Curried goat rocks.

Rasty
08-22-2012, 11:48
Curried goat rocks.

Love it! Spit roasted with garlic and rosemary is amazing also!

Mags
08-22-2012, 12:28
Love it! Spit roasted with garlic and rosemary is amazing also!

Grandma Mags something similar with lamb. Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm .....

Moose2001
08-22-2012, 12:50

Yeah....IB/Roadside has been asked this question several times and he nevers answers. I'd love to hear his rational for this one! However, I'm sure he'll never address it because he's a coward. Just a typical troll who feels safe on the internet

Rasty
08-22-2012, 12:53
Grandma Mags something similar with lamb. Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm .....

I went to the Culinary Institute of America and every week it was either a spit roasted goat or lamb for International cuisine in the courtyard.

pervy_sage
08-22-2012, 14:51
I went to the Culinary Institute of America and every week it was either a spit roasted goat or lamb for International cuisine in the courtyard.

Apparently goat production in the U.S. is actually in a deficit. The Dept. of Ag stated it would be at least another 5 yrs before farmers would catch up. With the influx of immigrants (many of whom don't know beef from tofu) have created an enourmous market. I actually thought about starting a goat farm at one point. Goat milk, goat cheese, goat meat, goat textiles...

BFI
08-22-2012, 14:56
17119 God is busy doing trail maintenance

Rasty
08-22-2012, 14:58
Apparently goat production in the U.S. is actually in a deficit. The Dept. of Ag stated it would be at least another 5 yrs before farmers would catch up. With the influx of immigrants (many of whom don't know beef from tofu) have created an enourmous market. I actually thought about starting a goat farm at one point. Goat milk, goat cheese, goat meat, goat textiles...

Almost the perfect pet! Mows the grass, plays with the kids, gives milk and can be easily roasted! What more could you ask for?

Well it could lay eggs!

coach lou
08-22-2012, 15:11
Almost the perfect pet! Mows the grass, plays with the kids, gives milk and can be easily roasted! What more could you ask for?

Well it could lay eggs!

In an earlier thread we discussed how goats were excellent pack animals, and loyal like dogs.......but... if we ate him, who'd carry my stuff.

Rasty
08-22-2012, 15:17
In an earlier thread we discussed how goats were excellent pack animals, and loyal like dogs.......but... if we ate him, who'd carry my stuff.

Well Coach Lou. First the mommy goat meets the daddy goat then they have alone time. In a few short months they produce a new pack animal!

coach lou
08-22-2012, 15:21
Well Coach Lou. First the mommy goat meets the daddy goat then they have alone time. In a few short months they produce a new pack animal!

I was lookin' to meet-up with Ozjacko next year, not wait out there for him.

Water Rat
08-22-2012, 18:07

You totally forgot the bow-chicka-wow-wow music they would need...

Hairbear
08-22-2012, 18:55
ass bible holsters only on craigs list $6.66...............

Hairbear
08-22-2012, 19:01

Well it could lay eggs! i couild whistle the ballad of curtis loe while it cleaned your car

pervy_sage
08-22-2012, 19:08
ass bible holsters only on craigs list $6.66...............

Sounds like a bad rewrite to Hancock. "His bible is going up your ass, your bible is going up his ass, then you can talk about it face to face."

pervy_sage
08-22-2012, 20:11
Sounds like a bad rewrite to Hancock. "His bible is going up your ass, your bible is going up his ass, then you can talk about it face to face."

Ok, it sounded better in my head...I did say it was a bad rewrite.

Mags
08-23-2012, 01:00

Another reason to go to cooking school! :)

I think it may be time to move this thread to the humor forum.(Is there an unintentional humor forum. ;) )

fredmugs
08-23-2012, 06:56
As much as I love starting my work day reading these comments I think it's time to drive 3 railroad spikes through this post and let it die.

Don H
08-23-2012, 07:59
We can't let it die yet, I'm still waiting for IB to tell me how his thru-hike went.

Thirsty DPD
08-23-2012, 08:08
We can't let it die yet, I'm still waiting for IB to tell me how his thru-hike went.

That'll be worth the price of admission.

coach lou
08-23-2012, 08:17

Didn't he say he was still hiking?

Two Speed
08-23-2012, 08:35
. . . (Is there an unintentional humor forum. ;) )I was under the impression that bulk of the site was unintentional humor. My bad.

Toli
08-23-2012, 08:38
I can't speak for IB but I'd pass on that, too. I already know I don't believe. I don't want to listen to some pseudo-intellectual rave on about how deep and philosophical he/she is for not believing, which in my experience is most often the type of atheist you'd be likely to find in a setting where they're spewing it for all to hear. I don't see why they want to make it so complicated. I don't believe in God or any other deity. Tada! I don't believe in Santa Claus either, but I don't prattle on about that.

You are SOOOO gettin' a lump of coal for Christmas... Unless Santa gets shot down with an RPG :rolleyes:...

Rasty
08-23-2012, 11:16

Another reason to go to cooking school! :)

I think it may be time to move this thread to the humor forum.(Is there an unintentional humor forum. ;) )

Aren't you the Humor forum MOD? :D

Mags
08-23-2012, 11:51
Aren't you the Humor forum MOD? :D

Technically yes...

Just thinking out loud...

I was under the impression that bulk of the site was unintentional humor. My bad.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f232/miss_minty/Salut/fanfare/drumroll.gif

Bada-Bump!

And if with that..this thread has run its course. Try the veal...it's good! Tip your waiters.

We'll be playing here all week.