PDA

View Full Version : "Making" your own beer and soda in the backcountry....

treesloth
08-20-2012, 10:18
http://patsbcb.com/beer/43-beer/85-beer.html

This should be interesting. I have to be concerned about the palates of some of the 'reviewers', to say the least... "tastes as good as any microbrew I've had..." Really? Really?

"The first time I tried it I was totally blown away. This stuff tastes every bit as good as any microbrew I've had. Why didn't someone think of this sooner?" Abby Jane - Backpacker/Hiker
"I was skeptical at first... How can this possibly taste like real beer? Once I tasted it though, I knew this was no gimmick. In fact it tasted as good as any craft beer I've had. Life in the backcountry will never be the same!"Elizabeth Habermann - Hiker/cross country skier

"Drinking a micro brewed beer seven day's into a backpacking trip is a luxury that not too many people have experienced. Pat's Backcountry Beer™ rehydrates to create an outstanding brew that is truly appreciated." Tim Bradley - Alaskan Outdoorsman

Water Rat
08-20-2012, 10:21

This should be interesting. I have to be concerned about the palates of some of the 'reviewers', to say the least... "tastes as good as any microbrew I've had..." Really? Really?

"The first time I tried it I was totally blown away. This stuff tastes every bit as good as any microbrew I've had. Why didn't someone think of this sooner?" Abby Jane - Backpacker/Hiker
"I was skeptical at first... How can this possibly taste like real beer? Once I tasted it though, I knew this was no gimmick. In fact it tasted as good as any craft beer I've had. Life in the backcountry will never be the same!"Elizabeth Habermann - Hiker/cross country skier

"Drinking a micro brewed beer seven day's into a backpacking trip is a luxury that not too many people have experienced. Pat's Backcountry Beer™ rehydrates to create an outstanding brew that is truly appreciated." Tim Bradley - Alaskan Outdoorsman

What the failed to mention was HOW LONG the people have been out in the woods! :) At a certain point, some things normally would not taste great, begin to taste absolutely wonderful.

Maddog
08-20-2012, 10:24

That is just gonna get me in trouble in the backcountry! Maddog:D

moocow
08-20-2012, 11:27
I might give it a whirl, if only because I start to crave even pbr or busch after a couple of days in the woods.

Wise Old Owl
08-20-2012, 11:37
It is not unusual practice with long distance hikes to have a sixpack in the trunk. Park under a group of trees and it will stay cool.

(No I don't do it- just watched others....)

Odd Man Out
08-20-2012, 14:05
This sounds a bit fishy. These quotes are from their web site:

"Unlike other concentrate processes, this is not just about making the beer and then "removing" the water afterwards (which is extremely energy inefficient). Instead, our process (patent pending) allows us to start with almost no water, and carefully control the environment of the fermentation."

"Our beer is highly concentrated which means that it has a high percentage of alcohol (like Vodka, whiskey, or other distilled spirits). However, when you add water and carbonation to it… it becomes good old beer."

But it is impossible to ferment anything to an alcohol concentration as high as distilled spirits (40% alcohol or higher). Fermenting to more than 15% is pretty hard as the yeast begins to die. I'd like to know how they are increasing the concentration of alcohol without removing the water. If this really is all that energy efficient as they claim, they should be producing ethanol for fuel. There is a lot more money there than selling to backpackers.

Spokes
08-20-2012, 14:26
Hmmm, at first glance it sounds good but then you have to lug around the "Carbonator". Did you actually watch the video on how to use it? Looked like it produced about as much carbonation as in a flat bottle of Wal-Mart lemon-lime soda. lol

Anyone remember "Fizzies" tablets?

brian039
08-20-2012, 15:34
Hmmm, at first glance it sounds good but then you have to lug around the "Carbonator". Did you actually watch the video on how to use it? Looked like it produced about as much carbonation as in a flat bottle of Wal-Mart lemon-lime soda. lol

Anyone remember "Fizzies" tablets?

I would think you could forgo the carbonator and use tablets. At least I hope so.

Spokes
08-20-2012, 17:16
As a homebrewer, I scoff at the thought of such silliness!

pheldozer
08-20-2012, 18:15
I'm a little suspect of what other microbrews Elizabeth Habermann has tried. in the meantime i'll stick with airplane bottles of jim beam

Spokes
08-20-2012, 19:12
I agree. It's a heck of a lot easier carrying a dram of fine single malt Scotch (or your favorite Bourbon) anyway.

Odd Man Out
08-20-2012, 23:02

I agree. It's a heck of a lot easier carrying a dram of fine single malt Scotch (or your favorite Bourbon) anyway.

+1 and +1. I've been home brewing for 30 years. Right now I have Talisker in the cupboard. However, I have thought about possibly planning a zero on the trail to brew a very small batch of beer (femtobrewery). OK, maybe two zeros. Have not quite worked out the logistics yet.

fredmugs
08-21-2012, 01:27

Concur. My homebrewing friends have turned me into a beer snob.

Hikes in Rain
08-21-2012, 06:06
Same here, which is something coming from someone who used to think beer was thin nasty stuff. (Shows I was drinking bad beer) Then, someone gave me real beer, someone else showed me how to make it, and now no one wants to drink with me. :eek:

fredmugs
08-21-2012, 07:05
Miller Lite: A clear taste of nothing with a hint of beer notes.

treesloth
08-21-2012, 08:38
Miller Lite: A clear taste of nothing with a hint of beer notes.

Fredmugs - are you kidding me? The 'vortex' bottle from Miller Lite has made ALL the difference. Putting that little swirly thing in the neck has literally been the difference between crappy and watery garbage that I wouldn't even cook with, to a world class, full-bodied, and tasty and balanced beer that I'd gladly serve to my friends when they come over.

I mean, whoever thought of that vortex thing is a world-class thinker and innovator.

OK, joking aside, I'd actually like to find whoever thought up the vortex bottle thing and punch them in the face, for having the gonads to think that such a ridiculous thing could make a difference in their way-less-than-mediocre beer. And I'm not even a violent person. :)

Rasty
08-21-2012, 09:09
This sounds a bit fishy. These quotes are from their web site:

"Unlike other concentrate processes, this is not just about making the beer and then "removing" the water afterwards (which is extremely energy inefficient). Instead, our process (patent pending) allows us to start with almost no water, and carefully control the environment of the fermentation."

"Our beer is highly concentrated which means that it has a high percentage of alcohol (like Vodka, whiskey, or other distilled spirits). However, when you add water and carbonation to it… it becomes good old beer."

But it is impossible to ferment anything to an alcohol concentration as high as distilled spirits (40% alcohol or higher). Fermenting to more than 15% is pretty hard as the yeast begins to die. I'd like to know how they are increasing the concentration of alcohol without removing the water. If this really is all that energy efficient as they claim, they should be producing ethanol for fuel. There is a lot more money there than selling to backpackers.

That is the most interesting part. How do you get to 40% alcohol without distillation unless the are making a beer to 15% then fortifying it with Everclear to get to 40%.

fredmugs
08-22-2012, 13:05
OK, joking aside, I'd actually like to find whoever thought up the vortex bottle thing and punch them in the face, for having the gonads to think that such a ridiculous thing could make a difference in their way-less-than-mediocre beer. And I'm not even a violent person. :)

It's their secret triple hops brewing process.

treesloth
08-22-2012, 13:27
It's their secret triple hops brewing process.

Treesloth likes this. :)

Spokes
08-22-2012, 16:20
All the homebrew guys know this but if you really want an eye opening education about beer in America watch the documentary "Beer Wars". My girlfriend watched it with me and she was so mad by the end she swore she would never drink a Miller, Bud, or Coors product again. So far she's kept her word.

It may still be available for a free watch if you do a Google search. Here's the movie trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY-Bg5Odi0M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uY-Bg5Odi0M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Cheers!

pheldozer
08-22-2012, 18:11
Fredmugs - are you kidding me? The 'vortex' bottle from Miller Lite has made ALL the difference. Putting that little swirly thing in the neck has literally been the difference between crappy and watery garbage that I wouldn't even cook with, to a world class, full-bodied, and tasty and balanced beer that I'd gladly serve to my friends when they come over.

I mean, whoever thought of that vortex thing is a world-class thinker and innovator.

coors light was getting too much marketshare from their 'blue mountain' cold can technology