PDA

View Full Version : Tarp and Bugnet advice...

Suckerfish
08-20-2012, 11:00
Any advice regarding a tarp? I want something obviously light but big enough to handle just about any rain storm. I don't mind the extra weight if it is a little bigger and dryer in heavy rain. Some I have seen posted on here look to just be a sun shade, not a rain fly.

Also is a bugnet needed or suggested? If so what would you recomend

Suckerfish
08-20-2012, 11:03
Any advice regarding a tarp? I want something obviously light but big enough to handle just about any rain storm. I don't mind the extra weight if it is a little bigger and dryer in heavy rain. Some I have seen posted on here look to just be a sun shade, not a rain fly.

Also is a bugnet needed or suggested? If so what would you recomend

This is in regards to a hammock/shelter FYI...

YoungMoose
08-23-2012, 01:12
I would suggest a warbonnet superfly if that weight is good for you that is a 4 season tarp that will keep you dry in anything. If that is too heavy and you have a lot of money to shell out you can get a hammockgear.com 4 season cuben fiber tarp. I suggest a bugnet. You can get a (http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/travelers.php) warbonnet travel net. Go to hammockforums.com for a lot more information

The Cleaner
08-23-2012, 08:29
Check out Kelty's Noah's Tarp.It comes in 3 sizes,seam sealed and has plenty of set-up options with several reinforced tie downs.And it's price is less than all those hammock tarps....

Maddog
08-23-2012, 08:35
I use a MacCat Deluxe with my hammock setup and I love it! It's kept me dry in many a thunder storm! Maddog:D

Lyle
08-23-2012, 09:24
I've used a Golite tarp and "Nest" bug tent in the past. I fount that combo very roomy and comfortable, but relatively heavy and bulky.

For the past few years, I carry either The One from Gossemer Gear (no longer available, but similar are from Six Moon Designs) if I want full protection or the Wild Oasis from Six Moon Designs. These are 17 Oz and 14 Oz respectively.

The Wild Oasis is very compact, is a shaped tarp with door and a bug net skirting, no floor. It offers decent flying bug protection and some crawling bug protection if you place your ground sheet over the bug netting. The netting is cut in a way that causes it to naturally fold in toward the interior, so partially sealing this is fairly easy. This is an "evolution" of a tarp. Fairly roomy for an average size or smaller person, might be a bit cramped if you are much over 6 feet.

Strictly speaking of tarps, I would go with a silnylon or cuben fiber if you can afford it, 6x8 is a decent size, 8x10 would be fairly luxurious for one and offer a myriad of options for pitching based on weather. This is something you should practice, try to get proficient at a minimum of three different ways to pitch it, then you will be able to choose or modify these as the situation dictates.

For netting, if I were buying some now, I would probably just get a sheet of netting to tuck around and under my bag when needed. A stone placed on the underside of the netting, above your head, can then be cinched and hung by cord to your tarp or inside a shelter. This will keep the netting off of your face. Much cheaper, and again more versatile for various pitches and also usable in a shelter.

My experience backpacking is that mosquitoes are not really that big of a problem. Yeah there are times and places, but much fewer than you would imagine, and these can be partially neutralized by proper site selection. Black flies, however, can be vicious. Head net very much recommended if you are worried about these little buggers.

Bama Man
09-02-2012, 01:52
Hey man, As already suggested check out hammockforums.com for everything to do with hammock camping. There are some really great venders on there as well that make and sell gear. I have a warbonnet superfly tarp and it's a great tarp, big but I like it. If you will go to warbonnetoutdoors.com you will see the different tarps and hammocks they make. The Warbonnet Blackbird hammock has bug netting built into the hammock. If you will go to the hammockforums you will learn a lot very quickly. Nice site with nice people there to learn from. I also have two of the blackbird hammocks and a lot of other hammock gear as well. You can find some good deals on used gear there as well. Good luck and happy hanging.

Hairbear
09-02-2012, 09:31
I would suggest a warbonnet superfly if that weight is good for you that is a 4 season tarp that will keep you dry in anything. If that is too heavy and you have a lot of money to shell out you can get a hammockgear.com 4 season cuben fiber tarp. I suggest a bugnet. You can get a (http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/travelers.php) warbonnet travel net. Go to hammockforums.com for a lot more informationthats ironic i weighed all i could find,and last night i ordered the hammock gear 4 season cuban fiber tarp.6.5 oz.its replacing a tarp ive been using that weighed 27 oz.the difference lets me add my under quilt without changing my base weight more than 1 oz.good luck

Country Roads
09-02-2012, 18:25
Warbonnet Superfly. Great coverage and bomb proof. It is heavy at around 22 ounces or so fully rigged (although for what you get, that is not too bad).
If you have the money, a cuben tarp with doors from either Z-packs or Hammockgear would provide great coverage at around 9 ounces or possibly less depending on your rigging. I have used a Z-packs tarp for 2 years; it is holding up very well and has given me great protection (I hung during hurricane Irene last year in Dolly Sods Wilderness in WV).

thebrewguy
09-02-2012, 21:37
I use an Equinox Globe Skimmer 8x10. Only about 1lb and good quality. Had to Silnet the points where the tie ups are but other than that I'm very happy with it. As for the bug net I use a Sea to Summit Pyramid single. Here's a post I made about converting it for the hammock: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57840

And here is a video I made about hanging my tarp using a bishop bag:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7szm3--xbM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Feral Bill
09-02-2012, 22:46
I use an Equinox Globe Skimmer 8x10. Only about 1lb and good quality. Had to Silnet the points where the tie ups are but other than that I'm very happy with it. As for the bug net I use a Sea to Summit Pyramid single. Here's a post I made about converting it for the hammock: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57840

And here is a video I made about hanging my tarp using a bishop bag:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7szm3--xbM&feature=youtube_gdata_player I use these on the ground and am very satisfied. I anticipate the tarp would be fine for hammocking. (my hammok has netting built in)

dla
09-04-2012, 11:16
First, with a hammock I would suggest a tarp of 8'x10' minimum. I use a warbonnet Mambajamba which 10'x11'. A storm can make a tarp seem pretty small.

Second, if your hammock has a ridgeline, then you can go to the fabric store and get netting, clip it on with paper clips (the little clamp type), rubber-band some rocks for weight and call it good. That will stop the stupid skeeters. Check http://www.coghlans.com/products/mosquito-products for some cheap skeeter solutions.

Suckerfish
09-04-2012, 11:53
Thanks for all the advice, I stepped up and took the plunge this past sunday, camped in a monsoon on top of blood mtn and stayed dry, warm and most of all comfortable. I picked up the eno pro rainfly and it kept me dry. I would be interested in picking up some alternative netting for mosquitos, thanks for all the advice.

Hike your own hike!