PDA

View Full Version : Redford to play Bill Bryson

c.coyle
05-01-2005, 20:52
Might be real busy next year (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2089-1592961,00.html)

Panzer1
05-01-2005, 22:07
I really enjoyed Bryson's book, but I hope the advertising does not have any ill effects on the trail.

Panzer

SGT Rock
05-01-2005, 22:21
There goes the neighborhood...

TakeABreak
05-01-2005, 22:50
Just as long as they stay out my way, there won't be any problems.

Footslogger
05-01-2005, 22:53
Well ...if it ever comes to pass it'll be interesting to see if they decide to actually film on the AT itself. Now that would be some real trail magic !!

'Slogger
AT 2003

TakeABreak
05-01-2005, 23:02
The trail magic would be kool, I just don't want a bunch of hollywood snizzling weanies out there messing up the trail or their private security personnel trying to tell me the trail is closed for a movie being filmed. If they are smart they will film it somewheres else's, ain't no hiker gonna put up with the crap.

Panzer1
05-01-2005, 23:46
maybe I should apply for a job as a technical expert or an extra.

Panzer

SGT Rock
05-02-2005, 00:16
I bet they hire Bryson as the technical editor as the "expert" in backpacking. What would be VERY funny is if they hired Baltimore Jack as a technical expert and he went around the set in his "Bill Bryson was a Candy Ass" T-Shirt.

Sleepy the Arab
05-02-2005, 00:20
...And expect to see the "real" AT in this film much like we all saw the "real" Pennsylvania Alleghenies in The Deer Hunter.

For the benefit of those who have not seen the film, the purported Pennsylvanian mountains in that movie were massive craggy peaks that are actually in Washington state about 60 minutes drive due east of Bellingham. Creative geography indeed.

Anyway, I'm none too pleased about the idea of a movie of Walk in the Woods. The book itself caused too much of a mob scene on the trail in '99.

TakeABreak
05-02-2005, 00:30
That was exactly what I was pointing at, I volunteered at the ATC center, for 2 weeks in July 2000. And almost every person that came was asking about the Bill Bryson book and how it compared to the A.T., since I had just 1600 miles and got off the trail for my parents 50th anniversary and then suffered a knee injury(to where I could not return till the next year and did to finish) the people at the ATC, pointed all the visitor's (they were tired of hearing about Bryson, from what I could gather).

Just think what a zoo the A.T. would be like if they did film it there, and the years to come. I hope if they make a film about the A.T., that it flops, just to keep people away. I don't mean hikers, but people that have no clue about what they are doing and just want to go out there , and be a Bryson, cloney.

I guess it would be time to do the PCT or CDT, if a film is made.

Ridge
05-02-2005, 00:45
http://movies.monstersandcritics.com/news/article_6006.php/Newman_and_Redford_Takiing_A_Walk_In_The_Woods%3F

The above say this may be a movie with Paul Newman(his last) and Robert Redford. I can't believe this. This is about the same book that has a picture of a Grizzly Bear on the cover, none of these on the AT. My husband returned his copy I gave him because of this. "If the guy writing the book has this on the cover, then who knows whats inside!"

TakeABreak
05-02-2005, 00:57
Excellent point, I read that book cover to cover before my hike, for a good laugh. And stared at, on the ATC shelf for 2 weeks and never noticed that, excellent point. I am glad you brought that out.

Ridge
05-02-2005, 02:06
Excellent point, I read that book cover to cover before my hike, for a good laugh. And stared at, on the ATC shelf for 2 weeks and never noticed that, excellent point. I am glad you brought that out.
The caption beneath the grizz on the cover reads: "Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail". So maybe the grizz has on boots and a backpack, afterall, lots of hikers visit the AT from out West and Canada. hikerwife

RockyTrail
05-02-2005, 09:13
Why can't these mega-millionaires go play in their caribbean resorts or something and leave the AT alone. Good grief, such vain people that want to spoil a good thing to just make a cute picture of themselves. They have a right to hike just like us, but not to turn it into Disneyland.

Are there going to be permits, tolls, and reservations required all along the AT to handle the follow-on tons of wannbee Redfords...:datz I hope not.

BTW, I haven't read the book and don't really have any interest in doing so, but I guess a lot of people simply follow the next shiny object that comes along.

Brushy Sage
05-02-2005, 09:21
Now I understand: all these accessibility issues the ATC is having to deal with are to make it possible for Robert Redford to get onto the trail for this movie, whether he is in a wheelchair or not!

Stoker53
05-02-2005, 09:38
IMHO....this movie's potential affect on the AT is a "tempest in a tea cup".

SGT Rock
05-02-2005, 09:45
Well hopefully it takes a couple of years to get to screen so I can get my thru-hike in before that happens. My guess is it will increase traffic a few years but eventually things will return to normal.

Skyline
05-02-2005, 10:02
So Redford will play Bryson, Newman will play Katz? Just doesn't sound right.

dougmeredith
05-02-2005, 10:41
Hopefully they remove the long boring philosophical/environmental rants that Bryson felt the need to include. Other than that it was a good book; especially the parts with Katz.

Doug

Nean
05-02-2005, 15:00
I read the book and laughed my candy ass off! Wish he'd hiked the whole thing with Katz and not add all the filler. As for the increased traffic, I think that will only be a problem to Neels Gap- where Neans' Atlanta Shuttle will make me a million! Could be a boon to the ATC and gear makers too! God Bless America!!Maybe they could get Mel Gibson to play the lead and shout FREEDOM from a mountain top.

Peaks
05-02-2005, 16:23
I read the book and laughed my candy ass off! Wish he'd hiked the whole thing with Katz and not add all the filler. As for the increased traffic, I think that will only be a problem to Neels Gap- where Neans' Atlanta Shuttle will make me a million! Could be a boon to the ATC and gear makers too! God Bless America!!Maybe they could get Mel Gibson to play the lead and shout FREEDOM from a mountain top.

Well, I gotta believe that Bryson's book was one reason for the popularity of the trail around 2000 & 2001. And as I understand it, things have tapered off somewhat. So, I suspect that a movie of the book will encourage all that more people to go out and attempt a thru-hike.

trippclark
05-02-2005, 16:50
Bryson's book really takes a beating within the AT community, but I really enjoyed it. It was entertaining, almost always; funny at times. You just had to be sure not to take it too seriously and for goodnes sake NOT look to these guys (Bryson and Katz) as hiking experts of any stretch.

I first read the book in 2000. I was drawn to it by my interest in camping and hiking. Before reading it I had hundreds of nights of camping and many miles of hiking -- but very little real backpacking.

Reading the book prompted me to want to try a few days backpacking on the AT. That has now grown into an obsession and more than 500 miles towards what I hope to comeday be a completion of the trail. If job/family would allow it, I'd be there right now instead of sitting at this computer (sigh).

Yes, a "Walk in the Woods" movie will, like the book, no doubt bring folks to the Trail who have no business being there, but it will also, no doubt, spark an interest in folks who want to come for the right reasons and who get from and give back to the trail for years to come.

Stoker53
05-02-2005, 17:29
Bryson's book really takes a beating within the AT community, but I really enjoyed it. It was entertaining, almost always; funny at times. You just had to be sure not to take it too seriously and for goodnes sake NOT look to these guys (Bryson and Katz) as hiking experts of any stretch.

I first read the book in 2000. I was drawn to it by my interest in camping and hiking. Before reading it I had hundreds of nights of camping and many miles of hiking -- but very little real backpacking.

Reading the book prompted me to want to try a few days backpacking on the AT. That has now grown into an obsession and more than 500 miles towards what I hope to comeday be a completion of the trail. If job/family would allow it, I'd be there right now instead of sitting at this computer (sigh).

Yes, a "Walk in the Woods" movie will, like the book, no doubt bring folks to the Trail who have no business being there, but it will also, no doubt, spark an interest in folks who want to come for the right reasons and who get from and give back to the trail for years to come.
Good post....wishing that I had the ability to say so much with so few words.

Tha Wookie
05-02-2005, 17:37
This was my favorite part:

"Now his biggest challenge will be to look like a man who is fit enough to walk 2,100 miles — even if he is fuelled by doughnuts."

HAHA!!!! You see? And here we all were wanting to look like Paul Newman!

If you think the crowds were big before the BOOK came out, just wait!!

This is the perfect time to promote the SE Trails innitiative, and all the other long trails in the US! If played right, this could be VERY good for trail organizations and hikers who want new trails.

There are many more miles to be had than the AT!!!!

BooBoo
05-02-2005, 17:49
Yes I admit I did read A Walk in the Woods out of a certain morbid curiosity. It was funny but Bryson is still a "Candyass." Robert Redford? You gotta be kidding. I think they should have Jason Alexander(aka Seinfeld's George Costnaza) play Bryson and have either Jack Black or Michael Moore play Katz.

Stoker53
05-02-2005, 17:59
Dan Aykroyd as Katz and Chevy Chase as Billor vice versa
works either way

TakeABreak
05-02-2005, 18:00
good one BooBoo, : )

halibut15
05-02-2005, 19:11
I'll give it to Bryson, his book was a good nature and environmental book, but as far as hiking the AT goes...I don't know...I'd say he was a Candy Ass. Being from North Georgia, I especially didn't like his depiction of Hiawassee as such a hick town. Yeah it's in the country, but it's definitely not the town he described...little did he know there were fancy resorts and huge houses just down the road on Lake Chatuge. As far as the impact on the AT from a film about it, I'd say use would increase, but as already stated, it wouldn't last much past Neel's Gap. The pansies would be weeded out rather quickly.

Nean
05-02-2005, 20:16
Silver glitter mixed in with the blaze paint, completion rate soars! :eek: Any truth to the rumor that CandyAss got his inspiration from Whiteblaze? :D

SGT Rock
05-02-2005, 20:23
No, I banned him ;)

SavageLlama
05-02-2005, 20:51
If you think the crowds were big before the BOOK came out, just wait!!

No doubt it's going to be a great movie. But unfortunately I think it's going to turn the AT into Disneyland - a gigantic tourist attraction. :(

I have major concerns about the impact on the trail. I just hope the ATC is thinking about a plan of action.

Nean
05-02-2005, 20:58
Suggested ATC policy: ONLY those who have NOT seen the movie can hike the trail! Darn yahoos better keep off MY trail

Panzer1
05-02-2005, 21:57
Would it be legal to shoot the movie on the trail?

Could they stop you from passing thru if they were in the middle of shooting a sceen?

Panzer

lobstergrrrl
05-02-2005, 22:25
Arrrgh. This has the potential to be horrible. I hope the film doesn't inspire a bunch of ill prepared folks to pack up and hit the trail.

Ridge
05-02-2005, 22:50
touron: A cross between a tourist and a moron

If this picture hits the screens.....

Not only will the AT be invaded by the tourons but also its local towns and communities. God save the AT and its quaint surroundings.

The stores who outfit, the hotels, restaurants, ect will love this kinda stuff. I was worried about windmills, now its Hollywood.

An all you can eat meal will be $38.00 when Hollywood arrives. Prices of everything will go BOOM! Better get that thru hike in prior to Hollywood. hikerwife

A-Train
05-02-2005, 22:58
Tough crowd. It's suprising to see folks who haven't hiked the AT to be calling Bryson a candy ass. I still don't know why anyone calls him that. So he didn't hike the whole trail? Lot of folks don't. At least he had the smarts to realize it and get off before he wasted his time and money. He gave it a shot and that's admirable in my book.

Yes he depicted people in the south and in the trail community unfairly, but that is his right as an author. Nothing wrong with him making money off the AT. I sure wish/hope he gave some money to the ATC, but who knows. There are certainly many topics for a book and a movie that are not as interesting or entertaining as his would be. As long as this didn't increase the number of people out there tremendously, I don't see a huge deal in a movie. Most likely it would just inspire and ignite the folks who were already thinking about doing it, while others would drop out very early.

If you're looking for a happy ending, a hiker who hiked the whole trail with a big bow at the end and a smile on their face, there are a bunch of uninteresting books out there and plenty of totally boring trailjournals on trailjournals.com (mine included). Bryson has humor and description that I've rarely seen from any other writer. Sometimes the best writing doesn't end perfectly.

Rendezvous01
05-02-2005, 22:59
I agree with Tha Wookie that we, the Trail community, could put a positive spin on this whole thing, no matter our personal feelings towards Bryson and his humorous book. Often, the only thing worse than negative publicity is no publicity at all, and if we could turn the massive interest, both good and bad, in the AT that might result from this movie into interest in protecting the AT and other long distance trails, then I say let's jump on the bandwagon and help steer it.

By the way, does anyone know whatever happened to the other Bill Bryson? He was an older gentleman (70+) by the trail name of Sneak Peak, who attempted thrus in both 2000 and 2001. He told me he was from MD or PA (can't remember which), and had done considerable trail maintenance up that way, but had always wanted to thru-hike. I met him at NOC and sheltered with him a couple nights later at Brown Fork Gap. Never heard anything about him after that. Made a good story, though, to tell people I had met Bill Bryson while hiking the AT.

Nean
05-02-2005, 23:14
Someday the AT will be paved! wildcat.....pow.....

fiddlehead
05-02-2005, 23:22
I didn't really like Bryson's book "walk in the woods" but it got me to read some of his other books and i found out that he doesn't really say much good about anything. Once you realize this and see his style. He didn't cut up the AT as bad as he did some tourist attractions in Europe and Austrailia. The dude makes his money by being negative and sarcastic. some think it's funny, it tends to bore me.

Anyway, who would NOT be interested in seeing this book put to the screen? It would be interesting to see how the director would portray the average thru-hiker. Whether he tries to make us into a-holes or heros would be something to see. For as much complaining as goes on for this topic, i get the feeling that there won't be many boycotting the film if it ever happens. Twill be interesting if it's true. I imagine Redford does all his own directing anymore. Could he get Clint Eastwood to be Balt. Jack maybe? fh

Nean
05-02-2005, 23:46
Fiddlehead, my friend, he bored you into reading 3 of his books? Seems he has sold a few, so we aren't the only ones. If it does become a reality I'll go see it- I just hope they do their research. Robert and Paul are welcome at my house anyday....my girlfriend is at work.

Mags
05-03-2005, 00:19
Redford has a history of sensitive, almost sensual portraits of nature in his movies (cf. A RIVER RUNS THROUGH IT).

I can't see Redford making something quite as overblown in his humor as the original WALK IN THE WOODS.

FWIW - I enjoyed ~first 100 pages and the ~last 20 of the book. That was the part when he was actually backpacking and Katz was involved.

I tought the rest was just filler to fulfill a book contract.

c.coyle
05-03-2005, 06:50
Arrrgh. This has the potential to be horrible. I hope the film doesn't inspire a bunch of ill prepared folks to pack up and hit the trail.

There's no reason the movie has to be set on the AT. The AT itself was irrelevant to the story. Any old trail will do.

rickb
05-03-2005, 07:45
Even then, after several months of harsh walking, the ill-prepared writer was unable to finish more than half the trail. “It defeated me, as it does most, although I still feel I have completed the trail in spirit,” he said later. “And it’s still there if I want to fill in the gaps.

Makes sense to me.

I am looking forward to the movie. Its not like it is being proposed for the cast of SNL.

As for its affect on the Trail, I'm not too worried. The people who should be worried are all our friends and associates who will have to listen to us go on and on about how different the trail was for us when we did it-- even though they'll have just wanted to show a bit of interest and understanding of our odd behaviors.

Along those lines, I hope they film it in places where the climbs really look hard, the bugs swarm thick, the bears are angry, and the rain is non-stop.

Should be a good excuse for AT hikers get together on opening wekend at theaters all around the country...

Rick B

Peaks
05-03-2005, 09:28
All these posts bring up two points;

First, if you think about it, Bryson is probably more representative of the typical person who attempts a thru-hike. Afterall, the completion rate is approximately 1 in 8 or 10.

Second, I have seen some interesting names of actors to protray Bryson and Katz. How about some nominees for Baltimore Jack, Warren Doyle, and other trail characters?

tlbj6142
05-03-2005, 09:36
I tought the rest was just filler to fulfill a book contract.Ain't that the truth. It was way too obvious that he was just writing to fill space since he wasn't on the trail any longer to get a real story.

SGT Rock
05-03-2005, 09:42

First, if you think about it, Bryson is probably more representative of the typical person who attempts a thru-hike. Afterall, the completion rate is approximately 1 in 8 or 10.

Second, I have seen some interesting names of actors to protray Bryson and Katz. How about some nominees for Baltimore Jack, Warren Doyle, and other trail characters?
Actually we had a very long thread about this same subject a few months ago when the story was out.

"ME & U"
05-03-2005, 11:40
In my own way of thinking, I try to find the other side of things. Perhaps this is a good thing!

While there certainly is an "elite" group of folks who have thru hiked the AT, there's also those who haven't. The part of our world that admires the other parts!
You have to think that such an advocate of nature like Redford would include in his drama a channel of support for the issue. I imagine an epilouge like "help save the AT"...or at best, bring a different light to the hiker community. He seems to always end his stories with the other side of things. Of course, in order to get to the other side you have to first view the flipside so I'm seeing Baltimore with his candy ass t- shirt, slammin his Jack in the wee hours of the am, and Blue Jay doin the dumpster dive or munchin on the leftovers in some far off diner...:clap :clap :clap

(just kidding guys... got to love it though!!) We are who we are and we're all great lovers of the outdoors! Who here wouldn't pay the ticket price to see the movie??? Imagine getting so freakin stoked up after seeing the movie that your on the trail the next day!

I'm game!

RockyTrail
05-03-2005, 13:45
Who here wouldn't pay the ticket price to see the movie???
I wouldn't.

Actually, I think i ain't been to a movin-picture show since the winter of '98.:sun

Sleepy the Arab
05-03-2005, 13:59
Could he get Clint Eastwood to be Balt. Jack maybe? fh

Dangit - Russel Crowe IS Baltimore Jack!

MDSHiker
05-03-2005, 14:04
Thanks for the link !!

nero
05-03-2005, 14:46
I've waited several years for the AT hype to die down... so that I could do a thru hike without so many people on the trail... wonder If I'm going to have to wait another 6 years now that this movie's coming out?

-nero

Peaks
05-03-2005, 16:25
I've waited several years for the AT hype to die down... so that I could do a thru hike without so many people on the trail... wonder If I'm going to have to wait another 6 years now that this movie's coming out?

-nero

Better do it quick before the movie comes out

Nean
05-03-2005, 20:57
If you want to hike a trail without all the people, best try another trail, or you could be waiting forever. Late nobo or sobo always an option. The AT is all about the poeple; this ain't '48. I'd hike the trail after a dozen movies! :)

Moon Monster
05-04-2005, 00:05
...And expect to see the "real" AT in this film much like we all saw the "real" Pennsylvania Alleghenies in The Deer Hunter.

For the benefit of those who have not seen the film, the purported Pennsylvanian mountains in that movie were massive craggy peaks that are actually in Washington state about 60 minutes drive due east of Bellingham.

Well, Penn. gets one back with the upcoming release "Annapolis" which was filmed in Philadelphia (and in Princeton, NJ). I mean, imagine if the Tom Hanks movie "Philadelphia" was filmed in Annapolis. And Cold Mountain, which is in part about Cold Mountain, NC (a 6,000 footer) was filmed in Romania.

I highly doubt that much of any WITW adaptation will be filmed on the AT. How would they deal with all the rain and fog?

Bmillonduhat
05-04-2005, 00:42
When is the Redford movie supposed to come out? Hopefully not till I finish mine next september

Ridge
05-04-2005, 01:16
I haven't been able to find anything except a couple of articles. The film is not even in pre-production. It could be 3-5 years before it can even hit the big screen. The actors web sites or fan sites don't even mention the film. It could be all talk and no walk. hikerwife

halibut15
05-04-2005, 07:26
Given I haven't thru-hiked yet, I've section hiked a lot, mostly during nobo starting times here in GA and NC/TN, and you can see quite a lot of people, including thruhikers, in certain areas and days. However, I've had just as many days where I've hardly seen anyone during these same times. To me, the majority of actual people seen on the trail when it seems "crowded" is near popular dayhiking destinations or on weekends, holidays, etc. Once you hit long sections between road crossings or get away from popular spots, you can pretty much have the trail to yourself, depending on how your luck goes. I think the movie would make the trail more crowded, but most likely people will want to get out and dayhike more because of it. Sure more people will probably thruhike as a result, but I think the majority of our worries will be with crowded tourist spots on the AT. Hit up another trail if you want to be in solitude for several days without seeing a soul (or pull an Icebound and hit the AT in winter); the people that hike the AT have become just as much a part of the character of the Trail as everythnig else.

RockyTrail
05-04-2005, 09:24
Good points, Halibut.

Lion King
05-04-2005, 11:19

Second, I have seen some interesting names of actors to protray Bryson and Katz. How about some nominees for Baltimore Jack, Warren Doyle, and other trail characters?Baltimore Jack----Tim Conway(with a bottle)

Warren Doyle---- Don Knotts

Nean
05-04-2005, 19:12
Did Bill Bryson ever meet any well known hikers? I know he mentions Laurie at the ATC, but she told me she doesn't remember meeting him and what he said was not true, regardless. Making it sound like those poor ladies who died in SNP, met their fate on the AT was completely dishonest, but maybe they should put that in the movie so as to scare the crowds back off the trail? The trail was perfect until that ol Ed Garvey wrote his book....

JustDoIt
05-06-2005, 08:20
A Movie??? Good! Maybe I can just watch the movie instead of hiking the darn thing. (Just Kidddddddding!) But along that note....the movie "may" just keep people OFF the trail with that kind of mindset. (hmmmmmm?) If they make it look as difficult as Katz's horrific experience....just might work. Yah, the mountains, the balds, the birds, the flowers....all beautiful and worth it....but the rain, the blisters, the rain, the mice, starvation, skunks, weird hikers, the rain, the sprains, the disorientation, the bears(?), the rain, the cold, the snow, the ice, the shelters, the filtering, the SMELL!.........hmmm....movie or experience? Depends on the "acting" huh?

d'shadow
05-06-2005, 15:02
Where are they going to put the trailor's?:confused:

saimyoji
05-06-2005, 21:04
You don't actually think they'll shoot on location on the trail do you? They'll probably have some stock footage shot and superimpose the actors on a digital soundstage.

Rocks 'n Roots
05-08-2005, 00:42
As long distance hikers I think we can all appreciate the significance of Bryson entering Maine's best portion of the Trail, getting lost like a little girl, and quitting it. I don't think much more needs be said. If anything he did a good job of covering a failed hike.

Never the less, the book was humorous and tongue-in-cheek. I appreciated the play on personalities and exaggerated ordeals.

The book is frustrating for people trying to push a serious public AT image for conservation. The problem is a serious book pushing this agenda probably wouldn't be too popular, while a lighter book like Bryson's fails to cover the serious side. Nothing new...

Nean
05-08-2005, 04:54
What year did you hike R&R?

Ridge
05-13-2005, 00:24
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,15243286%5E16947,00.html

Well here's the latest... a really good article. hikerwife

JustDoIt
05-21-2005, 21:40
While I enjoyed Bryson's book (as a novice myself)...I found Model-T's book Walkin on the otherside of Misery...much more entertaining. Now THAT would be a good movie. Whatever they do, I hope they give credit where credit's due and make the movie goers aware of the hard work and dedication of others in preserving the wilderness (and the trail) I am surprised at how many people don't even know it exists. My friends ask me what I'm doing this summer and I say "I'm hiking a section of the AT"...they go...."the whaaaaat? You're going to do whaaaaaaat? .........WHY???"

TOW
05-21-2005, 22:42
i think they're a bit too old to play the parts, they won't give bryson no credit.....wanderer

superman
05-22-2005, 09:07
I found the book in the shelter just north of North Adams, MA as I passed by during my thru hike. I gave it a quick read and until I got to the last page I wondered what was making the other thru hikers so mad. He wrote to the effect "that he didn't care what anyone said he was a thru hiker." That would have to grate on anyone who has actually done all that is required to actually thru hike. Bryson was worse than a blue blazer, worse than a yellow blazer. There is nothing wrong at all with section hiking unless you call it a thru hike. He did a bad section hike and then had the nerve to aver that he was a thru hiker.

Moxie00
05-22-2005, 11:54
:-? Another movie was filmed on the AT in MD. It was near Burkitsville. I can't remember the name of it but it was the "--------- Witch Project."I remember it caused quite a sensation about six years ago. I know it was filmed there because there were scenes in the movie where you could see white blazes on the trees. A trail angel took "Pat From Maine" and I to his home near Burkitsville and fed us. He drove us around and showed us several scenes where the movie was filmed. I am having a senior moment and can't remember the name of the movie but I do know they filmed in the off season and caused no disruption to hikers. How about "Cold Mountain". That story took place in real life not far from Mt. Albert and Rainbow Springs and the damn fools filmed it in Romania. Maby to save money they will film "A Walk in The Woods" in China.

Moxie00
05-22-2005, 12:44
The movie was "the Blair Witch Project". It took mr half the morning to remember the name.

TOW
05-22-2005, 15:26
Fiddlehead, my friend, he bored you into reading 3 of his books? Seems he has sold a few, so we aren't the only ones. If it does become a reality I'll go see it- I just hope they do their research. Robert and Paul are welcome at my house anyday....my girlfriend is at work.
that's reverse psychology for ya........wanderer

TOW
05-22-2005, 15:29
:-? Another movie was filmed on the AT in MD. It was near Burkitsville. I can't remember the name of it but it was the "--------- Witch Project."I remember it caused quite a sensation about six years ago. I know it was filmed there because there were scenes in the movie where you could see white blazes on the trees. A trail angel took "Pat From Maine" and I to his home near Burkitsville and fed us. He drove us around and showed us several scenes where the movie was filmed. I am having a senior moment and can't remember the name of the movie but I do know they filmed in the off season and caused no disruption to hikers. How about "Cold Mountain". That story took place in real life not far from Mt. Albert and Rainbow Springs and the damn fools filmed it in Romania. Maby to save money they will film "A Walk in The Woods" in China.
That be "The Blair Witch Project." It supposedly happened in and around the Gathland State Park area? I don't think so............

wanderer

superman
05-22-2005, 17:58
Moxie,

That was a great trail magic story. Pat from Maine ads how she didn't trust the guy and waited for you for security. For all her suspicions it turned out you two had some extra good trail magic.

B Thrash
05-23-2005, 20:04
Does anyone ever remember seeing Bill Bryson or this (fictional) Katz on the AT.?

generoll
05-24-2005, 00:10
whether or not Bryson hiked the trail, I was told that he managed to be sued (and lose) for his portrayal of the then owners on Rainbow Springs. anyone else hear that?

spunky
05-24-2005, 08:44
I bet they hire Bryson as the technical editor as the "expert" in backpacking. What would be VERY funny is if they hired Baltimore Jack as a technical expert and he went around the set in his "Bill Bryson was a Candy Ass" T-Shirt.
Very funny! Still laughing!!:banana

mooseboy
07-12-2005, 16:14
I've already heard about "Walk in the Woods" being optioned as a TV movie several years ago, and then never made. The same fate could befall this project, as I think Redford & Newman are too old and the wrong types.

However, as an actor/writer, and section hiker, I too have wondered about the possibilities of Bill Bryson's book being brought to film.

In my mind, Paul Giammati has always played Bryson. He's a master actor, about the right physical type, and has that underlying sarcastic/negative quality that Bryson pulls off so well without becoming unlikable.

The perfect Katz is harder for me to pin down, but John Goodman seemed like a reasonable possibility.

As for a film turning the AT into Disneyland, I don't think it'll happen. If people have to expend more than an ounce of sweat, 95% of them won't make the effort.

Sly
07-12-2005, 16:56
As for a film turning the AT into Disneyland, I don't think it'll happen. If people have to expend more than an ounce of sweat, 95% of them won't make the effort.

I think you're right and if it did most all of the "inspired" hikers would probably drop out in Georgia. Regardless, I don't see as how the movie could possibly hurt the AT. On the contrary, it may help boost awareness and donations.

We may never see the number of thru-hikers on the AT as we did in 2000. It's my belief the inflation of hikers in numbers had more to do with the Millenium than AWITW.

Sly
07-12-2005, 17:01
:-? Another movie was filmed on the AT in MD. It was near Burkitsville. I can't remember the name of it but it was the "--------- Witch Project."I remember it caused quite a sensation about six years ago. I know it was filmed there because there were scenes in the movie where you could see white blazes on the trees.

It was the Blair Witch Project and, sorry, it wasn't filmed near the AT at all. Rather some MD state park to the East.

Miss Janet
07-12-2005, 18:14
Guess what SLY? There is a white blaze in the Blair Witch.

Ridge
07-12-2005, 18:49
:-? I think the trail will get a little more usage due to a film, and the ATC might pick up a few more members. When "Cold Mountain" came out, the area around the actual mountain in Pisgah NF boomed, but all has settled down now. Just a flash in the pan.

Sly
07-12-2005, 18:59
Guess what SLY? There is a white blaze in the Blair Witch.

Hi Miss Janet!

There's one on my car too, that doesn't mean it was in the movie!

I was living in Frederick, MD at the time and at one point realized the movie was made in Rock Creek regional park in Mongomery County. The woods along the trail near the real Burketville look nothing like the woods in BWP.

Sly
07-12-2005, 19:03
OK, it may not have been filmed in Rock Creek, but I see no mention of it being filmed on the AT!

BWP Locations (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0185937/locations)