PDA

View Full Version : SNP loop

A1ien
08-20-2012, 14:52
Anyone interested in recommending a 25-30 mile loop in the northern half of Shenandoah National Park?

Thanks

Tim Causa
08-20-2012, 15:20
Honestly, I recommend the central section more than the upper section. There are more views, more waysides, and less hills. I found the flats sections to be more beautiful. There are a few loop trails in the central section that allow you to hit some peaks and some waterfalls on the way to old rag, I'd get the PACT map 10 and check it out. I just did the whole SNP in four days and two hours - my last day was 45 miles. If there is one thing I learned, it's to NOT GO THAT FAST. Take your time, it's way too beautiful to hike 4 mph and not keep your head up.

Cheers

Thumper.

Tim Causa
08-20-2012, 15:21
correction - last day was 35 miles - not 45. Still too much though.

Blissful
08-20-2012, 18:35
35 miles in one day? That's crazy. Anyway you can do side trails in SNP to make things interesting. The group that sells the maps is PATC Potomac Apppalachian Trail Club.

tdoczi
08-20-2012, 19:08
35 miles in one day? That's crazy. Anyway you can do side trails in SNP to make things interesting. The group that sells the maps is PATC Potomac Apppalachian Trail Club.

not really, met a thru in shen in june who was in the middle of the 2nd of 2 back to back 40+ days. what WAS crazy is he was stopping for the day at the same place i was, front royal, but yet still felt the need to go full steam ahead to get there asap, not sure what that was all about. i finished the park by 7, he must have had his 42 miles or whatever it was done by 4 or 5.

johnnybgood
08-20-2012, 21:58
I'd do the Jeremy's Run/Neighbor Mountain Circuit starting at the back of the Elkwallow Picnic Area.

Go down Jeremy's Run till you reach the Neighbor Mtn.Trail, turn left and return back to Elkwallow via the AT. Cross the Skyline Drive on the AT and connect to the Piney Ridge Trail,then to the Hull School Trail to Beahm's Gap where the AT will take you back to Elkwallow at nearly 25 miles total.

I'd suggest using the PATC Circuit Map or the SNP North District Map, sold at the entrance stations and waysides-$8,for more precise information.

* Jeremey's Run Trail has many creek fordings and can run full in the spring after rains.