PDA

View Full Version : Parking at Dick's Creek Gap, GA and Winding Stair Gap, NC

GSLeader_in_NC
08-20-2012, 15:06
Everyone,

A friend and I are headed out for a 4-day backpack mid-September. We plan to go NOBO from Dick's Creek Gap, GA to Winding Stair Gap, NC.

How safe would vehicles be if we left them at each trail parking lot? Has anyone heard of cars being broken into in either of these places?

And alternatively, if they are NOT safe, does anyone know a shuttler that serves both these areas? We're driving down from Western NC and are would be looking for someone to drop us off in GA and pick us up 4 days later in NC... We'd pay a fair price for peace of mind.

Thanks for any input.

Airman
08-20-2012, 16:22
There is a place in Fontana that will carry you to the trail and pick you up. Or you can walk to Fontana. Don't know the name just find it on the web.

TheBirdman
08-20-2012, 17:42
We went NOBO from Unicoi to Dick's Creek earlier this year. The Dick's Creek trailhead was on a fairly busy and visible road. We ended up thumbing a ride back to Unicoi really quickly. I would have been comfortable leaving my car there for a few days.

Coosa
08-20-2012, 18:42
I used to live in North GA, what I was told to do at Dick's Creek Gap is to park my car on the grassy area to the left of the main parking area. That said, be sure you don't leave anything within sight inside your cars. In the distant past I've left my car there for three nights. [Is the thermometer still attached to the sign post?] The parking area at Winding Stair Gap is also used by truckers to cool their brakes, so just be careful where you park so that you don't hamper them. I've not parked there, but I've seen cars parked there for a couple days as well. There is a Motel in Franklin where you might be able to arrange to park your car as they shuttle to Winding Stair Gap. You could always stay overnight at the Motel and get a good shower as a reward.

V Eight
08-20-2012, 19:36
You could call Joyce & Sally 706-896-9339, they can & do shuttles for that area. I have even
parked my truck in their yard. They are only a couple of miles from Dicks. You could leave a car there
and get a shuttle back from Winding Stair. I would Much rather have my truck at their place, than out
on the Hwy.

Have a great hike.

daddytwosticks
08-21-2012, 07:14
Parked safely at both spots for several days. :)

GSLeader_in_NC
08-21-2012, 09:06
Thanks for the parking tips!

I'm really looking forward to this mini-trip. I would love to go longer, but sometimes life gets in the way! :)

Whack-a-mole
08-21-2012, 13:07
Did this section last Oct with a friend, and we left a car at each end for four days with no problems. Very nice little section, enjoy your hike.

gunner76
08-21-2012, 20:18
Ditto on Joyce & Sally. Very nice people.

Ron Haven
09-02-2012, 02:32
Everyone,

A friend and I are headed out for a 4-day backpack mid-September. We plan to go NOBO from Dick's Creek Gap, GA to Winding Stair Gap, NC.

How safe would vehicles be if we left them at each trail parking lot? Has anyone heard of cars being broken into in either of these places?

And alternatively, if they are NOT safe, does anyone know a shuttler that serves both these areas? We're driving down from Western NC and are would be looking for someone to drop us off in GA and pick us up 4 days later in NC... We'd pay a fair price for peace of mind.

Thanks for any input.Any of you are welcome to park at my motels free for a week or two any time in the year, Yes we can help with a shuttle also. In Hiawassee at the Budget Inn
(http://hiawasseebudgetinn.com)or in Franklin at the Budget Inn (http://budgetinnoffranklin.com)and The Sapphire Inn (http://thesapphireinn.com)

Aquonehostel
09-02-2012, 09:59
You can leave your vehicle at Aquone Hostel, Nantahala NC and hike from Winding stairs gap to NOC or Fontanna, call 828 321 2340, there is also a loop trail, using the AT and Bartram, which will bring you back to your car. Wiggy 2010