PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to hike a piece of the A.T.!

BlueJake
08-21-2012, 11:33
Alright, so I'm 18 and I have recently decided that I would want to hike the trail for an entire month (May 2013). I don't really mind where I start (I would prefer to start somewhere more southern, considering I live in South Carolina) but I would like to shoot for a 600 mile hike. Anyone have any good suggestions where to start/stop? Thank you so much!

Rasty
08-21-2012, 11:40
Start at Springer and go to Damascus VA. Its 466 miles.

max patch
08-21-2012, 12:17
I'd start at Amicalola Falls State Park (8 mile hike from the park to Springer on the old AT) as it will be easier to find for the person dropping you off than at Springer via the forest service roads.

Hike to wherever you end up in a month. Buy one of the AT thru hiking handbooks. This will be useful as you plan town stops and resupplies. About 3 weeks into your hike you'll have a pretty good idea where you'll be in a month, and you can communicate a pick up spot at that time.

I think 600 miles would be a stretch. Damascus would be a target to shoot for, although that would also be a fast paced hike that would be beyond the capabilities of most.

Chaco Taco
08-21-2012, 12:20
Blue blaze northern GA and NC/TN. Just get some maps and go play or do the Benton Mackaye Trail

max patch
08-21-2012, 13:56
Oh, since you specifically asked about a 600 mile hike (although you'd have to be a 1 percenter to make it that far in a month) from Springer the towns of Bastian and Bland are 587 miles from Springer and Pearisburg is 630 miles away.

BlueJake
08-23-2012, 09:37
Well I could definitely shoot for a shorter hike.....I found 600 miles to be a bit of a stretch as well....so any pieces of the trail that would be between 300-500 miles? Thanks for all the feedback!

Train Wreck
08-23-2012, 15:03
Starting from the southern terminus in May is a great idea. You'll have missed both the uncertain weather of early spring and the large bubble of northbound thru-hikers, you'll get some challenging mountains and cross some of the highest peaks on the whole AT, you get to experience how beautiful the southern Appalachians are in peak springtime (peak wildflower viewing), and you'll pass through some of the jewels of the AT (Smokies, Grayson Highlands, etc.) Along the way there will be plenty of opportunities for other adventures, too, like whitewater rafting. Plus if you end up in Damascus at the end of May you'll get to experience Trail Days. I've section hiked over 1500 miles of the AT and so far I still like the southern Appalachians best. Go out and play in your own backyard, you'll love it!

moocow
08-23-2012, 15:30
What about Fontana Dam to Daleville? You start at the Smokies and enjoy all of their beauty, the Greyson Highlands, the Roan Highlands, and you get to finish your hike at McAfee Knob. I always thought that this would be a very fulfilling section if I found an extra month off.

Train Wreck
08-23-2012, 15:58
What about Fontana Dam to Daleville? You start at the Smokies and enjoy all of their beauty, the Greyson Highlands, the Roan Highlands, and you get to finish your hike at McAfee Knob. I always thought that this would be a very fulfilling section if I found an extra month off.

That's also a good option. Just a heads up, they are going to start charging a backcountry user fee in the Smokies starting next year, so if you do that, you'll need to research their current policy on long-distance/thru-hiker use of shelters. It used to be simpler if you were a long-distance hiker when you reached the Smokies. I don't know how this will change their current permitting process, or if they'll accord you thru-hiker status if you start at Fontana. Be sure to look into this prior to starting your hike so you don't have any surprises.

Chaco Taco
08-24-2012, 08:17
That's also a good option. Just a heads up, they are going to start charging a backcountry user fee in the Smokies starting next year, so if you do that, you'll need to research their current policy on long-distance/thru-hiker use of shelters. It used to be simpler if you were a long-distance hiker when you reached the Smokies. I don't know how this will change their current permitting process, or if they'll accord you thru-hiker status if you start at Fontana. Be sure to look into this prior to starting your hike so you don't have any surprises.

If he is going 100 miles past the Smokies, he would still be considered thru.

Same way we hike in AMC territory, carry about $20-$30 in $5 increments. When the Smokies start charging, they wont be like the fee police and kick people out for not having paid. It will be w work in progress. Just know that you may have to pay but def do as suggested with any National Forest or Park, know the regulations. I agree, this section would be a lot of fun. My first long distance hike was of the Smokies and I loved it